New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a good Horror movie or mini series

Quote Originally Posted by PokéTriforce View Post
    I think I saw Black Sheep. There are a few movies called "Triangle". For instance, the one I have is a Sci-Fi miniseries (I think 2 or 3 parts). As for Fido, someone I know watched my copy of Fido. She wanted a pet zombie, after watching it...so, I got her one!
    The Triangle I'm referring to is the 2009 one.

edit dammit i was ninja'd
    Last edited by Bhu; 2018-10-14 at 07:25 PM.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

The 2009 Triangle is available on Netflix. However, I have way too many discs in my queue, as is. Of the horror ones, I'm looking at...

Witch Files, Slender Man, Fright Night (part 2), Polaroid, Ouija Séance: The Final Game, It Lives Inside, Wilding, and Legend Of Halloween Jack. There's also Monsters at Large and a couple Goosebumps DVDs. Oh...and the latest Predator film.

Still, with 32 discs (and a few streaming -- including Truth or Dare & Seven in Heaven) left to go...

...And I have Light as a Feather set for Hulu. As I said, I doubt I'll be adding the 2009 Triangle to my list, any time soon.
    Last edited by PokéTriforce; 2018-10-14 at 07:49 PM.
    End of line.

I am not a bot...really. I just sound like the Master Control Program that should be in charge of everything.

End of line.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

I recently watched the Netflix version of Sabrina: the Teenage Witch. I think it was called "Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" (or something like that). I didn't care for their Riverdale series; however I really enjoyed this one!
    End of line.

I am not a bot...really. I just sound like the Master Control Program that should be in charge of everything.

End of line.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    So got to watch 2 new horror movies yesterday.

Tusk - A horror movie by Kevin Smith? Really? Yup. Plays heavily on horrifying than scary/creepy. Went in blind other than the quick blurb on netflix and had no real idea of what to expect and felt it worked best that way.

The Open House - Bit of a slow build up, but leaves you sufficiently horrified by the time its done. Does a really good job of leaving you guessing as to what's going on till right at the end and once the full reveal happens its all oh geeze *shudder*.

If you want more detail ask, but both of these worked very well going in blind for me.
    I have two questions for both, and, based on the 'going in blind is good', I please just give a simple Yes or No.

Is the threat/scare/whatever supernatural (as opposed to mundane)?
    If supernatural, is it something a reasonably superstitious person would probably avoid?

I really like horror movies, but I get creeped out easy and seem to only really avoid that if, if the situation in the movie were real, I would be okay. I can handle not getting creeped out my mundane stuff, so if it's actually serial killers or a crazy dude, that doesn't creep me out. If it is supernatural, I'm cool with it if I would be okay in that situation. For example, I'd avoid Ouija boards or seances, so any movie based on that wouldn't creep me out. Likewise, a la Cabin in the Woods, if I found a basement full of obviously creepy artifacts, I'd leave it alone and get out of there.

Or, I guess, if the threat is pretty easy to defeat if you accept it as real and act logically in response. For example, It Follows.

But especially movies where it's just a random ghost or demon someone happens upon and it starts to prey on them and their loved ones... those creep me out.

---

On the 'going in blind', if you like Tarantino, From Dusk Til Dawn.
    It doesn't seem any horror at first. In fact, just mentioning it in this thread kinda ruins the full impact, but can't see much else way to state it, and it's so old by now that a lot of folk know what it's about anyway. If you try to watch it on Netflix, avoid reading the description: it spoils it.

Spoiler
    Show
    I saw it just thinking it was a normal crime-Tarantino movie. The shift to horror-flick halfway through was awesome!

It is a bit more action & sorta-comedy than horror in its horror aspects, but technically counts.
    There's also a series on Netflix based on the movie, but I haven't watched it enough to comment.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I have two questions for both, and, based on the 'going in blind is good', I please just give a simple Yes or No.

Is the threat/scare/whatever supernatural (as opposed to mundane)?
    If supernatural, is it something a reasonably superstitious person would probably avoid?
    The threats are not supernatural. One of the two does a good job of playing with your expectations on whether or not it is supernatural causes untill the end (or at least did so for me).

I will add that I have been banned from choosing on movie nights with one group of friends thanks to Tusk. For a group that regularly plays VtM, they were rather squeamish.
    Last edited by Wookieetank; 2018-11-21 at 02:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

If any of you are fans of the old Blind Dead series they're getting a sequel after 43 years.
    Orcs and Goblins

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wow! Love the Blind Dead! Curious to see how that would translate to modern film. The originals are slow as all get out, but if you can get into it, that'd much of the appeal.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I am partial to Angel Heart, the 1987 movie by alan Parker, starring Mickey Rourke and Robert De Niro.

If you never had a chance to see it, I'd say it is worth it.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm about to watch the Nun. I've seen the Annabelle (& Conjuring) movies. They're OK. I've seen better. I just thought I'd mention this...in case anyone wanted to discuss these movies.
    End of line.

End of line.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Couple of new recommendations more on the comedic side of horror:

Life After Beth - A zombie romantic comedy, lotsa deadpan snarking, put me in the mind of Shaun of the Dead overall. Lot of silly fun.

They're Watching - A house hunter show's crew goes back to do a followup episode on a couple and the house they bought. Things get weird. Put me in mind of Grave Encounters a bit, but with an overall more lighthearted tone.

Sorta reccomend:
    Seven in Heaven - The horror part of this one was alright, being trapped in alternate bad dimensions after passing through a "portal", but the framing device and overarching plot was pretty dumb. If teen party gone wrong is your thing, you might like this more than I did, but if not, go watch Cloverfield Paradox, Event Horizon or the V/H/S series for better cosmic horror stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Does anyone know if the movie version for Spirit Camera (I can't think of the original game title) was ever made? I saw what could have been either a trailer (or just a fake trailer) for it. I was hoping that the trailer was for an ACTUAL movie. I don't care if it was a "student film" version or full production. I'm just curious.
    End of line.

End of line.

12. - Top - End - #72

Fatal Frame, which is my favorite horror game series (Zero in Japan, and Project Zero in Europe). A film came out in Japan, and it was a pretty standard ghost story. Not bad, but not exceptional, and not very Fatal Frame. They included the Camera Obscura, but sort of tacked on with a side character. I don't think it really affected the plot much. I was disappointed.

I would LOVE to see an adaptation of the games. The first three as a trilogy would be amazing!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PokéTriforce View Post
    Does anyone know if the movie version for Spirit Camera (I can't think of the original game title) was ever made? I saw what could have been either a trailer (or just a fake trailer) for it. I was hoping that the trailer was for an ACTUAL movie. I don't care if it was a "student film" version or full production. I'm just curious.
    is that Camera Obscura? it's at redbox now
    Orcs and Goblins

14. - Top - End - #74

If this is the film you mean, it doesn't look related to the games
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5651458/
    The film that came out in Japan was this one:
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3684484/

But even that was a sort of loose connection.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

My favorite category to watch horror & suspense. Because I like to feel the excitement because my work is too sensitive when I free for my work I want to see some exciting things. I am a Senior Web Developer & Web Designer Dubai. I work with creative agencies in UAE to manage and assist in their projects.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think, as others have said, that Hellraiser fits in well with the list in the topic post
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)