New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31

Default Re: Looking for a good Horror movie or mini series

You might try:

Raw(2017)- A coming-of-age story about a vegetarian veterinary student who develops a craving for flesh after eating meat for the first time.

The Fly(86, with Goldblum)-The Fly isn't just a film about the spectacle of a man turning into an insect. It's also a film about what that means in terms of identity, physicality, psychology, and the place where all of that meets in the middle.

An American Werewolf in London-Well, if the greatest werewolf transformation scene of all time doesn't have you biting your nails, the scene of nazi werewolves definitely will.

The Shining (1980)-All work and no play makes Jack into a raving lunatic.

Carrie (1976)-innocent telekinetic Carrie taking the ultimate revenge on the school where she was bullied is a slow-burn (no pun intended) classic, a coming-of-age horror. You’ve never sympathised with the monster more.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

I'm recommending/seconding Alien Raiders, The Mist, Cube, The Thing, Housebound, Kuntilanak, Cube, Ju-on: The Grudge, Hellraiser, Cube, Alien, Hostel, The Fly, Sublime, Otis, and did I mention Cube?
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2018-08-04 at 02:00 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PokéTriforce View Post
    I'll be watching Castle Rock, soon. I'll give my feedback (spoiler-free) when I've seen at least 3 episodes -- to get a good understanding of how the series seems to be going.
    REMINDER: This is just MY opinion. You may agree or disagree. Also, I will not be sharing any spoilers (I don't have a fast car).

It was a bit slow, in episode 1. However, it's picking up. Now that I've seen episode 4, I can say that the other main characters include a security guard with happy monitors & a real estate agent with frozen ashes. The main thing is about Matthew's client. I think there's something wrong with that one. Over all, I'd rate it 3 out of 5 stars...at this point. Then again, there are Stephen King movies that I like & Stephen King movies that I thought could have been done better.

I will continue to watch Castle Rock. After I watch the season finale, I might have more to say about this series.
    End of line.

I am not a bot...really. I just sound like the Master Control Program that should be in charge of everything.

End of line.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron View Post
    You might try:

The Fly(86, with Goldblum)-The Fly isn't just a film about the spectacle of a man turning into an insect. It's also a film about what that means in terms of identity, physicality, psychology, and the place where all of that meets in the middle.

An American Werewolf in London-Well, if the greatest werewolf transformation scene of all time doesn't have you biting your nails, the scene of nazi werewolves definitely will.

The Shining (1980)-All work and no play makes Jack into a raving lunatic.

Carrie (1976)-innocent telekinetic Carrie taking the ultimate revenge on the school where she was bullied is a slow-burn (no pun intended) classic, a coming-of-age horror. You’ve never sympathised with the monster more.
    I've seen the Fly and Fly II. They were OK. I guess they were better than the Vincent Price version. Then again, I haven't seen the Vincent price version.

American Werewolf in London & American Werewolf in Paris were both good cult classics. I, too, would recommend those.

There are 3 versions of the Shining. I prefer the Jack Nicholson version, myself. The other 2 (remakes) didn't quite have -- what I thought -- the feel for the story (as good as the original).

Carrie 2 didn't make as much sense, to me. Both Carrie & the remake (the remake is where Carrie 2 continues from) had their strong points and their weak points, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    I'm recommending/seconding Alien Raiders, The Mist, Cube, The Thing, Housebound, Kuntilanak, Cube, Ju-on: The Grudge, Hellraiser, Cube, Alien, Hostel, The Fly, Sublime, Otis, and did I mention Cube?
    I've already discussed the Mist. As for the Thing: I remember the haunt I worked at was asked to do a promotional stunt when the movie theaters were showing the remake, in 2012. I stated that I liked the American remake bettter than the Ju-On version for the Grudge. I could never really get into Hellraiser. I like Alien better than Preditor. I didn't care for Hostel, at all. I just talked about the Fly. Oh...did you mention the Cube, yet? At the end of Cube 0, I laughed loudly. It was the BEST tie-in for those movies! Hypercube was an interesting tesseract version. I don't know about the others.
    End of line.

I am not a bot...really. I just sound like the Master Control Program that should be in charge of everything.

End of line.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

By the way, about Stephen King's "IT", I'm still not sure if I plan on getting the remake or not.

I forgot to mention an animé that I once owned. It was subtitled (there wasn't a dubbed version); so I couldn't share it with friends that had trouble reading subtitles. I don't know what I did with that series. It was called "Haunted Junction".
    End of line.

End of line.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

I've seen the Fly and Fly II. They were OK.
    This one I have to disagree on. I found the Fly 2 boring as, well, you know, a fly. Part 1 (the remake, with Goldblum) is a good movie.

I never quite got into An American Werewolf in London myself. The transformation would be brilliant if not for the music, the rest is kind of boring honestly. An American Werewolf in Paris is a good B-movie. The effects are silly, and it doesn't even try to copy the weird tone of the original, but the pacing is a lot better and as a result the story is enjoyable..

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

This one I have to disagree on. I found the Fly 2 boring as, well, you know, a fly. Part 1 (the remake, with Goldblum) is a good movie.
    I felt the 2nd one had a nice re-telling (except it wasn't a re-telling, per se) -- where the human slowly descends into the madness of becoming the "monster" (as it were). Sure, it could have been done better. But, as a whole, it did okay.

I never quite got into An American Werewolf in London myself. The transformation would be brilliant if not for the music, the rest is kind of boring honestly. An American Werewolf in Paris is a good B-movie. The effects are silly, and it doesn't even try to copy the weird tone of the original, but the pacing is a lot better and as a result the story is enjoyable..
    I believe it was American Werewolf in Paris...although I could be wrong. The scene where the female tries to whistle for the bad werewolves to come after the American werewolf -- and her eye pops out. That has to be one of my FAVORITE scenes! I also liked, in American Werewolf in London, the scene in the movie theater where his best friend introduces him to the other people he killed. It's fun scenes like those that I liked about this series. I'm not even going into the restaurant bathroom scene ("You just can't keep popping up like that").
    End of line.

End of line.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just out of curiosity, what's everyone's go to movie for Halloween?
    End of line.

End of line.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Has anyone seen Clown? It's an R-rated 2016 movie that Netflix happens to have. All it says is: "When the clown he hired for his son's birthday party fails to show up, Kent McCoy dons a clown suit from his attic to entertain. But after the party, he's unable to remove the costume and soon begins to feel a murderous spirit taking control of him."

The reason I'm asking is that a friend asked my opinion of it. He said he wanted me to watch it and tell him what I thought. I'm just curious if anyone else has seen it (and what THEY thought about it). Is it worth me taking the time to watch? If you've read my post of the MANY horror movies I own, you can figure out my tastes when it comes to horror films.

In other words, I'd like to get other opinions; so I can formulate the best review for him.
    End of line.

End of line.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

One of the best horror movies ever made, in my opinion, is called The Others. The good thing about this movie is that if you’re a horror fan, it is really scary. It’s a quality movie as well as terrifying. I highly recommend it.
    Spoiler: The Others Spoiler
    Show
    But if you aren’t a horror fan, the twist ending sort of makes it all seem a little less horrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by tazbot View Post
    I roll to stop Samba Mentality from chattering.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

So got to watch 2 new horror movies yesterday.

Tusk - A horror movie by Kevin Smith? Really? Yup. Plays heavily on horrifying than scary/creepy. Went in blind other than the quick blurb on netflix and had no real idea of what to expect and felt it worked best that way.

The Open House - Bit of a slow build up, but leaves you sufficiently horrified by the time its done. Does a really good job of leaving you guessing as to what's going on till right at the end and once the full reveal happens its all oh geeze *shudder*.

If you want more detail ask, but both of these worked very well going in blind for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Has anyone seen Clown? It's an R-rated 2016 movie that Netflix happens to have. All it says is: "When the clown he hired for his son's birthday party fails to show up, Kent McCoy dons a clown suit from his attic to entertain. But after the party, he's unable to remove the costume and soon begins to feel a murderous spirit taking control of him."
    I vaguely remember seeing a sort of similar one (it's called Stitches, google tells me) about a birthday clown who died on the job and was brought back from the grave by other clowns to finish the party he started, and murder the by now teenagers who attended it.

It was okay I guess.

I just don't think funny creepy clown movies are going to top Killer Klowns from Outer Space anytime soon.

The Others was funny. I think I saw like half of it including the bit Papaya spoilered on TV. The parts I saw registered it a bit less like a straight horror movie, but it does have suspense and mystery.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2018-09-10 at 09:32 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just don't think funny creepy clown movies are going to top Killer Klowns from Outer Space anytime soon.
    "You're not gonna' make a dummy outta' me!"

We know what happened to him after he got killed. CLASSIC!
    End of line.

End of line.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php...9#post22070829

Over on rpg.net I'm the official keeper of 'the good stuff' list. Most of whats there should be good depending on what your particular tastes are. I also have my own thread on minmax that needs updating.

As for personal recommendations for the op: what is your tolerance level for gore, violence, nudity and disturbing content?
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    As for personal recommendations for the op: what is your tolerance level for gore, violence, nudity and disturbing content?
    Tolerance aside, I go for story. I don't care for the over-use of "blood, guts, & gore", due to the lack of story in those. Violence would, once again, be conditional. Some movies (such as Hostel) overdoes it, in my opinion. Freddy, Jason, Michael, & Chucky have an appropriate amount. I guess what I mean is the "style" of violence is the thing. Senseless (or just being violent for the sake of being violent) does not make a good story.

I'm not quite sure what nudity has to do with this. I guess if the person is horribly disfigured or something... Otherwise, there's nothing scary about nudity. People showering, skinny dipping, and/or having sex is a part of standard horror movies. If you get naked, you become a target. That's how those films work. So, I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Disturbing content is relative. There's a scene in Idle Hands (comedy more than horror) where an undead guy eats a burrito. The stuff drips from his neck -- since his head had previously been severed. I'm sure that scene may be disturbing to many. As for me, I get hungry for burritos, each time I watch that. In the book version of Stephen King's IT, those who have read it know what the kids did. I don't find that "disturbing", because it seems realistic for the story. The Saw movies have "disturbing content" (from what I hear); however, the story keeps it "palatable".

I got into horror, because I watched Freddy Krueger having SO MUCH FUN! I like watching Jaws, because they're "Shark Week" movies. I've seen quite a few Asian horror movies that have the right...um...I'm not sure how to put it into words; but, they have that. In other words, whatever tolerance one has is not how I decide on what to recommend. I find that Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek, Stargate, Farscape, Battlestar Galctica, and Babylon 5, all have similar levels of violence and such. Yet, the fans like one and not the other.

What I'm trying to say is that you should feel free to recommend any titles you wish. If you want, you can inform us the level of gore, violence, nudity, and disturbing content. Just don't worry about not wanting to recommend something just because of that.
    End of line.

End of line.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Got to see Jigsaw (aka Saw VIII) this week, and it was...okay I guess. The only thing new really was the deathtraps. The plot felt like a recycled mashup of 2 & 7 with minor bits of the other thrown in. Very much a try hard at attempting to continue on the series in a "new" fashion.
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

I ask for several reasons. It's easier to gauge peoples possible reaction to things by how they respond. As an example: The Woman is, in my opinion at least, a good horror film, for specific audiences. But it's one of the more disturbing horror films out there. If someone says they're not into violence, I wouldn't recommend it because it verges on torture porn in certain scenes to make it's point ((it has some social commentary). If you say you don't like nudity, then by extension you probably wouldn't like sexual content, so I wouldn't recommend it still. If you don't like disturbing content, then I definitely wouldn't recommend it, because it has that in abundance, most of which I could not discuss under forum rules. Knowing what films the op likes gives me an idea, but knowing his specific limits on what he considers acceptable lets me narrow things down a bit more.
    Orcs and Goblins

18. - Top - End - #48
    Firbolg in the Playground

How about The Exorcist, Scream, and Final Destination
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Got to see Jigsaw (aka Saw VIII) this week, and it was...okay I guess. The only thing new really was the deathtraps. The plot felt like a recycled mashup of 2 & 7 with minor bits of the other thrown in. Very much a try hard at attempting to continue on the series in a "new" fashion.
    I gave Jigsaw a chance. It seems like it didn't need to be. The Saw movies came to a nice close (story-wise). I'm a bit interested as to where they thing they'll take it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    How about The Exorcist, Scream, and Final Destination
    I had a chance to get Linda Blair's autograph! I didn't have the money for it, though.

Anyway, I liked the first film. The 2nd & 3rd were okay...just not as good (in my opinion). I don't think I've seen the others -- and I'm just not interested in the TV series. I have the 4 Scream movies. The MTV series wasn't as good. I have all the Final Destination movies. I laughed when I saw Candyman as the [I think he was a mortician or something].
    End of line.

End of line.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

I gave Jigsaw a chance. It seems like it didn't need to be. The Saw movies came to a nice close (story-wise). I'm a bit interested as to where they thing they'll take it, though.
    I'm in much the same boat. Was a fairly decent movie overall, just didn't need to be attached to the Saw franchise. I would've been much happier with a completely new plot.

If you look at Saw, Cube, Exam and even Would You Rather?, they're essentially the same premise: Strangers trapped in a room, for some unknown reason(exception with WYR?), with potentially life or death stakes. Yet each one is executed very differently and provides a very unique take on the premise. Jigsaw just gives us more Saw without anything truly unique to make it stand out. Just my $.02
    /digression

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Chained (2012) is a decent if horrific movie. A woman and her child are kidnapped by a serial killer, and after murdering her the killer decides to take care of the boy for reasons as yet unknown to the audience. Nasty, brutish and will be very triggery for some. Also has a few surprises.

The Devils Rock: The Nazis discover a Succubus in WWII and decide to weaponize Hell. It goes about as smoothly as you'd expect.

Let Us Prey: A stranger arrested late at night seems to know the sins of everyone he encounters at the police station. Will be over the top for some.

Wer: Begins as a murder mystery and switches to action and gore halfway through. Odd but nifty.

Black Sheep: Night of the Living Dead parody. With sheep.

Cold Fish: Japanese serial killer sees something of himself in a milquetoast fish store owner, and decides to make him an apprentice. Very, very dark comedy with gore.

He Never Died: Henry Rollins as a man with severe PTSD. Or so you believe at first.

Rabies aka Kalevet: Serial killer dark comedy in which the killer doesn't actually kill any of the cast.

Undead: Australian super redneck who fight off a horde of undead during an alien invasion.

Zombeavers: Not a great film by any means, but the last 20 minutes are some of the most wtf set to film.

Fido: Parody of 50's pop culture.

Frostbite: Swedish vampire comedy.

Infestation: A Lovecraftian comedy about aliens invading.

I Sell the Dead: Comedy about grave robbers who encounter some complications on the job.

Rare Exports: Santa is an avatar of Shub-Niggurath.

Sightseers: Serial killers in love.

Below: Bestest ghost on a sub movie ever.

Black House: Get the Korean version. The most terrifying film about insurance you will ever see.

The Last Winter: Ron Perlman angers the Wendigo.

Pontypool: A different take on zombies.

Sauna: Set on the border of Finland and Russia, and damn creepy.

Session 9: Don't wanna give away the plot.

Timecrimes: Bestest time travel movie ever.

Triangle: Also don't wanna give away the plot.

The Ugly: A serial killer is haunted. Nothing else quite like it.
    Orcs and Goblins

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    I'm in much the same boat. Was a fairly decent movie overall, just didn't need to be attached to the Saw franchise. I would've been much happier with a completely new plot.

If you look at Saw, Cube, Exam and even Would You Rather?, they're essentially the same premise: Strangers trapped in a room, for some unknown reason(exception with WYR?), with potentially life or death stakes. Yet each one is executed very differently and provides a very unique take on the premise. Jigsaw just gives us more Saw without anything truly unique to make it stand out. Just my $.02
    /digression
    You're essentially just describing the X characters in a box formula here. A small cast, put together in a situation, and their numbers slowly going down. Typically as the film goes on more and more doubts grow about where the real danger is coming from, the dangerous outside circumstances, or the group itself? Probably around 75% of all horror fits that premise, including Alien, The Thing, Dog Soldiers, The Mist etc. And even movies where at some points the characters split up mostly keep them together, like The Descent and Tremors. You specify it a bit more by making the characters specifically strangers in unknown circumstances, but then your final example presumably deviates from those two extra specifications.

One of my own favorite takes on the formula is not actually a horror movie, but more of a war/action/sort of suspense film, The Beast (1988). It's a pre-9/11 American movie about a Russian tank crew in Afghanistan, and as such the characterization of certain groups can be a little uncomfortable today, but it's a really solid take on the formula described above, with the tank becoming more and more of a prison that you can't leave, but where you can't stay either. Are the people you have in here better than the danger out there? There's even a perspective flip to help rub the idea in some more.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

You're essentially just describing the X characters in a box formula here. A small cast, put together in a situation, and their numbers slowly going down. Typically as the film goes on more and more doubts grow about where the real danger is coming from, the dangerous outside circumstances, or the group itself? Probably around 75% of all horror fits that premise, including Alien, The Thing, Dog Soldiers, The Mist etc. And even movies where at some points the characters split up mostly keep them together, like The Descent and Tremors. You specify it a bit more by making the characters specifically strangers in unknown circumstances, but then your final example presumably deviates from those two extra specifications.

One of my own favorite takes on the formula is not actually a horror movie, but more of a war/action/sort of suspense film, The Beast (1988). It's a pre-9/11 American movie about a Russian tank crew in Afghanistan, and as such the characterization of certain groups can be a little uncomfortable today, but it's a really solid take on the formula described above, with the tank becoming more and more of a prison that you can't leave, but where you can't stay either. Are the people you have in here better than the danger out there? There's even a perspective flip to help rub the idea in some more.
    They were just the ones that popped to mind as I was typing. I was more just trying to illustrate how you can have the same core concept and yet have distinct and interesting movies if you keep things fresh instead of doing more of the same (which is very much what Jigsaw does).

The Beast sounds like a fascinating watch, I'll have to try to track that one down.

24. - Top - End - #54

They're Watching- Reality TV filmmakers get caught up in the middle of a withc hunt
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    Black Sheep: Night of the Living Dead parody. With sheep.

Fido: Parody of 50's pop culture.

Triangle: Also don't wanna give away the plot.
    I think I saw Black Sheep. There are a few movies called "Triangle". For instance, the one I have is a Sci-Fi miniseries (I think 2 or 3 parts). As for Fido, someone I know watched my copy of Fido. She wanted a pet zombie, after watching it...so, I got her one!
    Last edited by PokéTriforce; 2018-09-26 at 06:48 PM.
    End of line.

End of line.

26. - Top - End - #56

The Exorcist shares some elements in common wih Evil Dead and The Ring. It's kicked off with a sinister cursed object like The Ring and revolves around demonic possession like The Evil Dead

Omegaupdate Forum

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

There are a few movies called "Triangle".
    There are, the one you want is 2009.

On a slightly similar note, Coherence (2013) is not over the top horrory, but still a very fun movie.

On a in a different way similar note, Ghost Ship (2002) is nice and corny.

And while we're on the water theme anyway, Leviathan (1989) is worth a watch if you like monster films like Alien and The Thing.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

There's the Channel Zero series, with each season exploring a particular story arc (Series 1 is about a children's TV show, Series 2 is about a Halloween scare house, Series 3 is about these doors that appear in the middle of nowhere).

I caught part of a Spanish language horror film starring Antonio Banderas of all people, The Skin I Live In. I need to find it and watch the rest of it as it wasn't jump scary, but there was an underlying creepiness throughout, much like The Ninth Gate.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    There's the Channel Zero series, with each season exploring a particular story arc (Series 1 is about a children's TV show, Series 2 is about a Halloween scare house, Series 3 is about these doors that appear in the middle of nowhere).
    NOOooo!!!!! I checked my calendar. I'm working at an animé / manga convention on October 26th. The convention runs October 26 - 28. This means I'll have to wait to see this season's premiere.
    End of line.

End of line.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

I met him…15 years ago. I was told there was nothing left. No reason. No conscience. No understanding. Even the most rudimentary sense of life and death…of good or evil…right or wrong. I met this six-year-old child…with this blank, pale, emotionless face. And…the blackest eyes. The devil’s eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him. And then another seven…trying to keep him locked up. Because, I realized that what was living behind that boy’s eyes was purely -- and simply -- evil.

On Friday, October 19, 2018, he shows up for more!
    End of line.

End of line.