New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Locked myself out of my camera app

I'm using a Lenovo "ideapad" (the touchscreen thing with the detachable keyboard). It came with a camera app, which I've used a few times with no problems.

I haven't been able to use it the last few times I've tried. Instead, it shows me a black screen with the following message: "We need your permission. To use this app, open Privacy settings and change the settings to allow this app to use your camera and microphone."

Just one problem: when I open up Settings, it has this little list of apps that I can change the privacy settings for . . . and the Camera app is not on that list, so I can't change the settings for it.

Has anyone else had this problem? How do you fix and/or work around it?

Much obliged
    My completely awesome avatar (I call her Quill) has been generously crafted by the esteemed Honest Tiefling!

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 87: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good-looking) and your humility is stunning.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Locked myself out of my camera app

Are there any settings for the actual camera/microphone hardware? It kind of sounds like the lock could be on that end, and not the app itself.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I'm using a Lenovo "ideapad" (the touchscreen thing with the detachable keyboard). It came with a camera app, which I've used a few times with no problems.

I haven't been able to use it the last few times I've tried. Instead, it shows me a black screen with the following message: "We need your permission. To use this app, open Privacy settings and change the settings to allow this app to use your camera and microphone."

Just one problem: when I open up Settings, it has this little list of apps that I can change the privacy settings for . . . and the Camera app is not on that list, so I can't change the settings for it.

Has anyone else had this problem? How do you fix and/or work around it?

Much obliged
    Some quick googling led me to this page. Is it at all applicable to your scenario and, if so, at what point can you not follow the instructions in it?

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    at what point can you not follow the instructions in it?

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    "Press Win + C to open the Charms"

Pressing those keys (just Windows and C, no plus - I'm not quite that silly) doesn't make anything happen. Thanks, though!
    Last edited by AuthorGirl; 2018-05-30 at 04:13 PM.
    My completely awesome avatar (I call her Quill) has been generously crafted by the esteemed Honest Tiefling!

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 87: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good-looking) and your humility is stunning.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    "Press Win + C to open the Charms"

Pressing those keys (just Windows and C, no plus - I'm not quite that silly) doesn't make anything happen. Thanks, though!
    The Charm thing is a Windows 8 thing.

From the article:
    In Windows 10, you will get the settings here – Settings > Privacy > Camera. Toggle the switch to the On or Off position as required.

Have you checked there?

It is also possible that some recent Windows update removed the app in question and repalced it with a new one or something. I noticed they played with Photos recently. You might wanan check Lenovo's supprot site if there are driver updates too. I find the Lenovo stuff is big on propriatary stuff that can break as the OS is updated.