New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: So where are the D&D video games?

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Did you play Temple of Elemental Evil? It's probably the best faithful translation of a D&D game system I've seen.
    Yes! ToEE is great fun, especially if you use the Circle of Eight modpack to debug it and add content. I've completed the original content with an "Order of the Stick" themed party; no Belkar, as there are party alignment restrictions, and Elan has to be less useless, as there aren't many illusion spells in ToEE, but Roy with Great Cleave and Frost Brand really rocks!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    I spent a long time hoping for a turn-based, grid-based strategy video game using the mechanics of 4th Edition, which seemed like it would be a perfect fit. D&D Tactics would have been a game I could play forever.
    I think there was a D&D tactics game on the PSP. It....wasn't great.
    "Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Ftagn!" said the cultist.
    "Oh bother," said Pooh.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

My favorite one is actually Temple of Elemental Evil.

A really good translation of 3.5 rules. A surprisingly accurate adaptation of one of my favorite adventure path. The only game to take place in the Greyhawk setting (my prefered world) Buggy as hell, but with mods it works better. I love it.

It can also be a real good challenge if you limit your characters to two. I've played through so many times. There are also a lot of available endings. I never stopped loving this game.

Another way to play is with permadeath. And pick up somebody new when the old member dies. Like a fantasy XCom
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2018-06-09 at 05:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

I honestly found it entirely too hard to be played Ironman myself.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I honestly found it entirely too hard to be played Ironman myself.
    Well...too buggy for Ironman. Hard is relative. you can always add more PCs at any inn. Fewer characters earn more XP and advacne faster. once you get Solid Fog and Cloudkill most combats become a breeze. and you can't forget your buffs. ever.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

I tried to enjoy ToEE, I really did. But I found it to be a buggy mess with a vague, unclear and directionless story. That was on top of the practical application of 3.5 rules, like running out of feats for my fighter to take by level 8, or my druid being simply unable to properly heal everyone.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

I mean I tended to find myself TPK'd pretty often.

I never found it that buggy. A few crashes, but those were hardly worth mentioning. I also tend to save fairly frequently so the few glitches I did have were ones I could reload through.

Of course Circle of Eight also had some bugfixes built into it, which is a mod to basically not play without.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I tried to enjoy ToEE, I really did. But I found it to be a buggy mess with a vague, unclear and directionless story. That was on top of the practical application of 3.5 rules, like running out of feats for my fighter to take by level 8, or my druid being simply unable to properly heal everyone.
    Yeah...fighters are built for multiclassing. And if you want reliable healing, crafting a wand of cure light wounds is more effective than anything else. Item crafting is practically necessary for completing the game.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

I bought The Temple of Elemental Evil back in the day, but I gave up on it. I don't remember the exact technical issues, but I DO remember the absolute worst voice acting I've ever heard.

#nothyperbole

I also remember a bizarre moment when my paladin made romantic advances towards a village woman. She was an adult, unmarried, not evil, and reacted positively, and yet this caused the paladin to fall. I don't know if this game was made by some ultra-puritan or if someone got D&D paladins confused with Catholic monks, but I do know that it was one of the final straws for me.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin's had some word quirks, in ToEE, yes. I know the woman you're talking about, but not sure why she was a fall condition.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Paladin's had some word quirks, in ToEE, yes.
    What does that mean?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Yeah...fighters are built for multiclassing. And if you want reliable healing, crafting a wand of cure light wounds is more effective than anything else. Item crafting is practically necessary for completing the game.
    I was unaware of the CLW wand trick when I played, so that wasn't going to work.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

It means my phone doesn't like the word weird for some reason. Some things weren't entirely explained. There was a particular secret to that woman, but I don't recall what it is.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Colossus in the Playground

If you have a paladin in your party in ToEE, pretty much use a walkthrough for the whole thing or expect to fall. They do it for things like, "You participated in a drinking contest, which is against the teachings of St. Cuthbert and anyway we assume you're planning to rob the other contestants after they pass out" and "you interacted in a nonhostile fashion with a merchant who is secretly a demon cultist, that's clearly associating with evil, no I don't see any relevance of our not having put Detect Evil in this game, why?"

I would guess that the village woman was secretly evil (whether it said so on her character sheet or not) or something similar.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

I suppose paladins walking on eggshells to avoid falling is a crucial part of the 3.5 D&D experience to some.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

The best/worst thing about ToEE is imho that if you happen to have a chaotic good guy and setting up yourself to dispute with Prince Thrommel, you gain a bastard sword that carries your entire run. It's a +3 weapon that triggers a responding attack for every melee attack against the wielder, and it never misses (it rolls attack just to determines crits).

Similar to Drizzt's blades in Baldur's Gate, a normal good character would never consider killing the good Prince Thrommel. But if you choose to you get OP weapons. Which is certainly one of my major gripes with the whole "weapon alignment" mechanic in D&D. If all my paladin ever does is killing evil aligned guys, how in the frick is he supposed to get a Holy weapon or a good aligned one? The one way is to have companions with aweseome weapons that are in over their head. They die and you pick up their weapons, vowing to avenge them.

Sadly, I felt ToEE is quite barren when you consider a charming RPG like Baldur's Gate, or even IWD (I don't like early 3D, even though the module's environments are made carefully, its characters look like weird play-doh guys).

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Which is certainly one of my major gripes with the whole "weapon alignment" mechanic in D&D. If all my paladin ever does is killing evil aligned guys, how in the frick is he supposed to get a Holy weapon or a good aligned one? The one way is to have companions with aweseome weapons that are in over their head. They die and you pick up their weapons, vowing to avenge them.
    I believe the traditional way is to pull it out of a stone or have it gifted by angels or a lady in a lake. Not all your ger has to be taken from the corpses of your enemies, you know?
    Last edited by Driderman; 2018-06-15 at 02:00 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

You say Barren, but I sort of like that about it. Less need to go wandering around looking for quest givers, fewer people with nothing to say and no influence on the plot.

That said, Circle of Eight added a bunch of more things to do, places to go and people to stab in the face.

Wasn't there also a matching weapon to Thrommels that was a bit harder to get, but was just as powerful.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    I believe the traditional way is to pull it out of a stone or have it gifted by angels or a lady in a lake. Not all your ger has to be taken from the corpses of your enemies, you know?
    You can also get it from a villain who captured it but wasn't using it.

Since you brought up Baldur's Gate, Sporegg, refresh my memory: How does a paladin get a Holy Avenger in Baldur's Gate 2? Do you have to kill another paladin, or does a red dragon have it?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    The best/worst thing about ToEE is imho that if you happen to have a chaotic good guy and setting up yourself to dispute with Prince Thrommel, you gain a bastard sword that carries your entire run. It's a +3 weapon that triggers a responding attack for every melee attack against the wielder, and it never misses (it rolls attack just to determines crits).

Similar to Drizzt's blades in Baldur's Gate, a normal good character would never consider killing the good Prince Thrommel. But if you choose to you get OP weapons. Which is certainly one of my major gripes with the whole "weapon alignment" mechanic in D&D. If all my paladin ever does is killing evil aligned guys, how in the frick is he supposed to get a Holy weapon or a good aligned one? The one way is to have companions with aweseome weapons that are in over their head. They die and you pick up their weapons, vowing to avenge them.
    There's a morally acceptable alternative! If you rescue Prince Thrommel (i.e. safely lead him out of the Temple), then within a few days, you get a random encounter with an envoy he sends, who gives you a load of loot, including a clone of Thrommel's sword, named Scather . Just make sure you have some inventory slots free to actually receive all the items they give you (best to save before journeys, as you usually would anyway). Also, don't use it in the Fire Node of the Temple, the infinite AoO's will cause crashes.

Your paladin can't get the best out of it anyway, as he can't be Chaotic. Craft yourself a Holy Axiomatic weapon instead.
    Last edited by MultitudeMan; 2018-06-15 at 11:36 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Red Dragon had it. Also Purifier was stuck in a magic rock.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

For me, Neverwinter Nights is it - the game offers solo play, not just with the 'Original Campaign' that comes with the game purchase, but (especially) the free modules you can download that were built by users. Some are awesomely good, and there are tens of thousands out there. More the game supports having a DM 'run the game' so you can get a very D&D experience of playing in a small party on a DM'd adventure as an option. Many multiplayer servers exist. My own server (Argentum Regio) is built to allow solo or party play of DM'd or DMless adventure events. It is a very flexible game - note we have modified the game to allow things like flight, swimming, climbing, jumping, squeezing through tight spaces, we added over 100 spells from D&D (Wish, Wall of Ice, Blink, more)... the feature list includes tracking, hiding in things and so much more. Additional info at http://argentumregio.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page?&cb=8705

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ok, so, first of all, sorry for necroposting but itīs still better than making a new post about the same topic.
    That being said, iīve been waiting for a new d&d game for ages.
    I really loved Baldurīs Gate, Icewind Dale and Neverwinter. DDO was interesting, they finally made a game in Eberron and it included warforgeds and artificers, but the fact that you could only raise your level by making quests (and that most quests were only unlockable by paying for them) made it really boring after a while, since you had to play over and over the same quests just to qualify for higher level ones.
    Also, i allways thought it should have included the shifter race, wich they didnīt. I can understand that the main skill of a changelling is hard to adapt to a MMORPG but shifter should have been easier (or at least i think they should)
    But now we have 5E for a couple of years now, and just like Neverwinter came when 4E was released, iīm waiting for a new pc game adaptation.
    I read the link that was posted on another post but even after more than 6 month i still havenīt heard of any news about d&d games (except kingmaker)

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

There are a few Not!D&D games out there if you can cope with a same-but-different rules set. Actually, there are a lot, considering D&D-esque means:

- six attributes (Strength/Might, Finesse/Dexterity/Swiftness, Constitution, Wits/Wisdom/Perception/Guile, Intelligence, Charisma)
    - class-focussed systems
    - key to late game is covering your vastly OP spellcasters with your meleers
    - some "alignment" choices
    - RP interaction with your followers

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by varto View Post
    Ok, so, first of all, sorry for necroposting but itīs still better than making a new post about the same topic.
    When the topic that you're posting in is from almost a year ago, no, no it isn't. You should very much have made a new thread about the subject instead.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

26. - Top - End - #56
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Great Modthulhu: Correct.