New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Eldritch Knight Anything Bond

Question: if you have Tavern Brawler, anything becomes a weapon (effectively). Weapon Bond from Eldritch Knight let's you Bond a weapon to you. Let's say my "weapon" (from Tavern Brawler) is a sack of potatoes (why not). Can I Bond to my sack of potatoes, thus allowing me to summon potatoes at will?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Eldritch Knight Anything Bond

Personally I would say you bond to the sack, not necessarily the potatoes within. It is a little strange, but since it is defectively numerous items I do not believe it would work. An example is that you can bond with a ranged weapon like a bow, but you would still need arrows (unless it is the crystal bow from runescape of course)
    Lelouch vi Britannia by Gnomish Wanderer

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanthy1 View Post
    Personally I would say you bond to the sack, not necessarily the potatoes within. It is a little strange, but since it is defectively numerous items I do not believe it would work. An example is that you can bond with a ranged weapon like a bow, but you would still need arrows (unless it is the crystal bow from runescape of course)
    That was more of a joking example. A more realistic one might be a Diamond, as it is a weapon for you, so you can have your stock at home, not at risk if the Cleric has to Res someone. Another example might be a bar stool (weapon), to sit on. My point is, does this combo let you summon literally any object you want, as long as you've done the ritual?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Uhm.... RAW? I believe so.

RAI? I don’t think so.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grear Bylls View Post
    That was more of a joking example. A more realistic one might be a Diamond, as it is a weapon for you, so you can have your stock at home, not at risk if the Cleric has to Res someone. Another example might be a bar stool (weapon), to sit on. My point is, does this combo let you summon literally any object you want, as long as you've done the ritual?
    I like this idea. You could have a gem-encrusted mace or warhammer, for example, that you can summon, then pry off a diamond for resurrection purposes

You would have to use the bar stool, frying pan, et cetera as an improvised weapon with an attack before it could be considered one - otherwise it's just an object. Right before you start your short rest, throw it at someone (1d4, 20/60), then happily bond away!
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    I like this idea. You could have a gem-encrusted mace or warhammer, for example, that you can summon, then pry off a diamond for resurrection purposes
    That's an very good idea, and one that seems to function without the Tavern Brawler feat. Any EK can have a cerimonial sword with a diamond attached.
    We are everywhere.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubba View Post
    "There's a fine line between clever and stupid."
    I like to think I err on the side of clever ;)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Or just sell the highly valuable weapon, walk away and resummon it.

This is an actual con that used to be pulled with specially trained escape-artist horses. But if you don’t mind being a criminal...

(You could even have an accomplice sell it and resummon it if you wanted to dodge the heat!)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

As a lvl 2 conjuration wizard can do pretty much the same i doubt it’d break anything.
    It’s cheesy, but why not?
    "Can i touch myself before talking to that guy?"
    "..."
    "I mean can i cast a touch spell on myself..."
    "It's both possible, but one would probably lead to a bad outcome."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

This is the same issue the "swinging a crossbow with GWM and SS" thread ran into. "Weapons" are objects on the weapon table. Improvised weapons and natural weapons don't count as "weapons" even if you're proficient with them. It's confusing due to stupid terminology.

If a weapon was "anything you attack with," you wouldn't even need Tavern Brawler to EK bond with literally anything you could touch.

That said, in this case it shouldn't be too broken, so I might allow it on grounds of "Rule of funny"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvvyR View Post
    This is the same issue the "swinging a crossbow with GWM and SS" thread ran into. "Weapons" are objects on the weapon table. Improvised weapons and natural weapons don't count as "weapons" even if you're proficient with them. It's confusing due to stupid terminology.

If a weapon was "anything you attack with," you wouldn't even need Tavern Brawler to EK bond with literally anything you could touch.

That said, in this case it shouldn't be too broken, so I might allow it on grounds of "Rule of funny"
    I've just been playing lots of characters with the Tavern Brawler feat, and wondering how it works out RAW. Concur completely, but it's dumb enough to make sense.

That last part was too dumb to make sense

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

An Improvised Weapon is not a weapon. Though I like the idea of you bonding to the chair where in the jerk you're about to start a bar fight with is still sitting. then you summon the chair to your hands and surprise attack him with it, and he's prone from falling out of his chair. But Rules as written, Tavern brawler gives you proficiency with improvised weapons. It does not change improvised weapons into weapons.