New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Who should play Roy in an OotS movie? And others.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Ah, I getcha. Yeah, the Belt of Giant Strength certainly helps bump his strength up, don't get me wrong, but it was already far above what most people had to begin with. His Strength score is pegged at 29 by C&LG, so if we assume the least favorable strength and give him a +6 Belt of Giant Strength, that means he still has a 23 native Strength score. There's no rules on what a person looks like based on their scores, but if a guy who has +6* modifier to Str doesn't look more like Terry Crews than Donald Glover, something's a bit off.

*You haven't played D&D, so this can be confusing. The +6 Belt gives a +6 to the base Strength score, but the +6 modifier is the number he gets to add to his die rolls when he rolls Strength checks. The belt only adds +3 to his modifier, assuming it's a +6 Belt. Or +2 to his modifier if it's a +4 belt.

There, now you're even more confused.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    Reading this it's kind of interesting how differently people picture the characters.

A lot of people have brought up Roy's maturity, but for me, maybe because the strongest impression I get is him arguing with his father I tend to skew his age fairly young, maybe even below his canonical age. I suppose I tend to see him less in terms of a team dad or even a grizzled veteran (though he probably is by now) and more like a very, very serious student who has mastered his warrior craft and is now making his way in a more chaotic world that often frustrates him - more like Leonardo of Ninja Turtles fame. Likewise because I always saw his baldness as a shaved head I never thought of him as 'old'.

My go to mental image for Roy would probably be J. August Richards in his Angel days but Donald Glover is an excellent idea and he could well pull off the wittier, charismatic side of Roy.

Regarding strength and size I'm a bit wary of applying total real life physics to the casting, partly because we'd then have to pretty much cut out anyone who isn't professional wrestler size and build. Also we'd have to apply the same logic to the others - a maximum Dexterity Haley would probably not have a scrap of spare fat on her in favour of lean muscle, definitely ruling out the likes of Scarlett Johansson or Isla Fisher or really anyone 'curvy' no matter what the canon says.
    I don't think Scarlott Johanssen is inappropriate for Hayley. Dexterity is as much about the ability to manipulate objects with your hands as athleticism. Isn't Scarlot Johanson Black Widow - Black Widow is athletic and would probably be stated at dex 18.

A couple of actors have been suggested other than Dwayne Johnson (the only pro wrestler suggested I think) who look strong enough to be Roy. Terry Crews (although too old IMO) has great guns, and the actor from Black Panther who played the leader of the mountain tribe was massive.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Another way of looking at it is that someone who is strength 18 will be in the upper half of the 99th percentile of human strength (because 1 in 216 have 18 strength). People who have over 18 strength are truly exceptional.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    I don't think Scarlott Johanssen is inappropriate for Hayley. Dexterity is as much about the ability to manipulate objects with your hands as athleticism. Isn't Scarlot Johanson Black Widow - Black Widow is athletic and would probably be stated at dex 18.

A couple of actors have been suggested other than Dwayne Johnson (the only pro wrestler suggested I think) who look strong enough to be Roy. Terry Crews (although too old IMO) has great guns, and the actor from Black Panther who played the leader of the mountain tribe was massive.
    This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I think Scarlet Johansson is not a particularly good emote-r, so she might struggle for some of Hailey's character growth scenes. Also not sure I can see her being at all compelling when stuck speaking gibberish.

Mike Colter did a pretty good job as Luke Cage, and is younger? He's pretty good at the "WTF, Elan" face, too, but the pictures on GIS are all pinterest-based, which I am not a member of, and so can't easily link.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Another way of looking at it is that someone who is strength 18 will be in the upper half of the 99th percentile of human strength (because 1 in 216 have 18 strength). People who have over 18 strength are truly exceptional.
    Also record shattering. Roy would also be able to deadlift 1200 lbs. Which more than current world records. So I think some sacrifice in "reasonable muscle mass" might be needed if we don't want to restrict our casting choices to weightlifters
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

7. - Top - End - #127
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

I actually don't think Scarlett Johansson makes a particularly 'realistic' Black Widow, but then Black Widow isn't a particularly realistic character to begin with - someone with her training and constant level of physical exertion would probably have a very different physique with very little body fat. Johansson looks like a normal (if extremely beautiful) woman with a good diet and exercise regime. Hypothetical real Black Widow wouldn't have her curves, which also the issue with Haley; given her lifestyle and presumed Dexterity score being curvy is just really unlikely. If we are using the same standards of realism for her as we are for Roy we'd definitely have to rule out a lot of the names mentioned in this thread.

The point was that I don't necessarily think we need to see a massively muscled Roy, just someone who looks in good shape and "strong enough". Being very strong is mechanically important for Roy because of the game rules his character is based on but I'd say that pure raw muscle is very much secondary compared with his intelligence, skill and leadership qualities.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I would like to make an amendment to my statement that Belkar be played by Elijah Wood, or Daniel Radcliffe.
    That is, I would now like Belkar be played by Elijah Wood and Daniel Radcliffe, interchangeably. For anyone who has ever seen The Gamers: Dorkness Rising, it would be just like Luster/Gary, the party Sorceress.
    Last edited by One Step Two; 2018-06-13 at 06:04 PM.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Honestly, for me, Durkon is the hardest one to cast. Ability to do a borderline incomprehensible Scottish accent is a must, but let's also remember-

- ugh, it's hard to quote stuff from locked threads, hang on-

No specific ethnicity beyond "brown" is given, though, so we have some open options here... I wish I knew more Scottish actors, hrm.

As for Roy, Mike Colter is a bit on the older side, but he really has the right look and presence to me; he'd be on my short list.

Not quite sure on the others... honestly, Elan's probably pretty easy to cast, half of the male actors in Hollywood could work for him, but I do think Chris Hemsworth could pull it off. He's had some experience playing a blonde ditz with an evil brother, after all. However, keep in mind that:

A. Either the actor has to be a twin, or the actor has to be able to play Nale (and probably also Tarquin) as well
    B. The actor should be able to sing. Come on. You can fake the lute playing but for all the inanity of his lyrics, Elan is, statwise, pretty good at this!

Not sure on the others just yet... I'll have to think on my top choices.

EDIT: Ha, I was ninja'd re: Colter. Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking of him, though.
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2018-06-13 at 06:14 PM.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

10. - Top - End - #130

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    Honestly, for me, Durkon is the hardest one to cast. Ability to do a borderline incomprehensible Scottish accent is a must, but let's also remember-

- ugh, it's hard to quote stuff from locked threads, hang on-

No specific ethnicity beyond "brown" is given, though, so we have some open options here... I wish I knew more Scottish actors, hrm.

As for Roy, Mike Colter is a bit on the older side, but he really has the right look and presence to me; he'd be on my short list.

EDIT: Ha, I was ninja'd re: Colter. Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking of him, though.
    Hahahaha, yeah, we must've been thinking it at ALMOST the exact same time, haha.

I still feel pretty strongly about Craig Charles being a good fit for the Durkster, one parent from Guyana and a strong Manchester accent which isn't Scots at all but IS right next door, so you'd THINK he could fake it, right?

Spoiler: Couple headshots
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Otomodachi View Post
    Hahahaha, yeah, we must've been thinking it at ALMOST the exact same time, haha.

I still feel pretty strongly about Craig Charles being a good fit for the Durkster, one parent from Guyana and a strong Manchester accent which isn't Scots at all but IS right next door, so you'd THINK he could fake it, right?

Spoiler: Couple headshots
    Show

Ooh, that's not bad at all! I think he's probably my top choice rn.

Also, reading back over some posts, I completely agree with Ruby Rose for V now. Heck, Ruby's even a vegan, and Word of Giant has confirmed that V is vegetarian. (It's not by any means a dealbreaker if that weren't the case, but it's a nice bit of congruency.)

Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    I actually don't think Scarlett Johansson makes a particularly 'realistic' Black Widow, but then Black Widow isn't a particularly realistic character to begin with - someone with her training and constant level of physical exertion would probably have a very different physique with very little body fat. Johansson looks like a normal (if extremely beautiful) woman with a good diet and exercise regime. Hypothetical real Black Widow wouldn't have her curves, which also the issue with Haley; given her lifestyle and presumed Dexterity score being curvy is just really unlikely. If we are using the same standards of realism for her as we are for Roy we'd definitely have to rule out a lot of the names mentioned in this thread.
    Scarlott Johanson is not at all fat, she is athletic. The only reason she is labelled 'curvy' is that she has larger breasts than is average for a slim woman, and I don't think breast size detracts from athleticism. Beyond that, we may have to agree to disagree on whether she can plausibly play an athletic character.

But beyond that, Hayley may not be particularly athletic at all. Her high dexterity was explained (by the Giant) as being because she was able to pick a lock with a piece of straw, not because she was athletic. Her dexterity is more to do with dexterity of the hands, rather than athletic movement.

The point was that I don't necessarily think we need to see a massively muscled Roy, just someone who looks in good shape and "strong enough". Being very strong is mechanically important for Roy because of the game rules his character is based on but I'd say that pure raw muscle is very much secondary compared with his intelligence, skill and leadership qualities.
    I suppose it is a matter of preference whether you see Roy's strength as a key part of who he is, or whether you want to downplay it in favour of other characteristics. Personally I see it as one of most important characteristics, and I would not enjoy seeing him characterised as someone who was only slightly stronger than normal. And I think that is what Roy is, he is not a fighter who dodges blows, and uses speed and skill to overcome his opponent, he is simply massively strong. Personally, I enjoy seeing fighter like that in fantasy 0 the Hound (from GoT) or Conan.

The only objective thing I can point to in terms of whether his intelligence or his strength is key to his character, is point at the fact that he is only moderately intelligent, but exceptionally strong. From the class level and geekery thread we see that Roy's intelligence is 14-17, and his strength is 29 (or 23-25 without his belt).That is, he is more intelligent than average, but not exceptional, where is strength is at record breaking level.

If you do decide you want TV Roy to be strong like the character (I do, you don't) you absolutely do need a large muscular actor to portray him. This part isn't subjective, a small (or medium size) man would simply not have the strength Roy does.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Also record shattering. Roy would also be able to deadlift 1200 lbs. Which more than current world records. So I think some sacrifice in "reasonable muscle mass" might be needed if we don't want to restrict our casting choices to weightlifters
    I think there is quite a variance in what strongman athletes look like.
    Guys like Dwayne Johnson and Winston Duke (both of whom have been mentioned already) would not look out of place amongst them. Johnson is probably bigger than most.

Even Terry Crews (other than being too old IMO) does not look to me to be obviously less muscular than this guy:
    https://barbend.com/strongman-enhance-recovery/

I just think you need someone who is prefereably big with obvious muscles.

14. - Top - End - #134

For V an androgynous actor/actress is required.
    I think Tilda Swinton has already be nominated.
    We can add Milla Jovovich, or, my preferred: Emma Watson!

Without makeup, she looks androgynous enough.

And here she just misses the pointy ears, to be an elf!

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I think maybe Mackenzie Davis for Vaarsuvius.

16. - Top - End - #136

Another idea for V was a trans. But I kinda refrained from that for two reasons.

First, the backlash here ("Oh, you want to cast a trans for the gender ambiguous party member, you *ist/*phobe!"). But eventually I decided to ignore that.

Second, because I know none of them directly. After some quick research, the most adapt (pale skin; face with some androgynous trait and not too much masculine; presumably good trans actress, and not simply trans actress) was someone called Tracy Lysette. I see a face pic and I think: "Ok, let's cut her hair short, and that might work". Then I see a pic of her full body and I am like: "No, can't work, too many curves!"

Second choice was one called Harmony Santana: award winner, but with skin a bit too dark, and sharing the same problem of the first one. So, nothing. But I have decided to throw the idea here.

17. - Top - End - #137

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    Another idea for V was a trans. But I kinda refrained from that for two reasons.

First, the backlash here ("Oh, you want to cast a trans for the gender ambiguous party member, you *ist/*phobe!"). But eventually I decided to ignore that.

Second, because I know none of them directly. After some quick research, the most adapt (pale skin; face with some androgynous trait and not too much masculine; presumably good trans actress, and not simply trans actress) was someone called Tracy Lysette. I see a face pic and I think: "Ok, let's cut her hair short, and that might work". Then I see a pic of her full body and I am like: "No, can't work, too many curves!"

Second choice was one called Harmony Santana: award winner, but with skin a bit too dark, and sharing the same problem of the first one. So, nothing. But I have decided to throw the idea here.
    Yeah it's a tricky thing to handle sensitively cuz AFAIK V isn't trans, they're just elven. Even "gender fluid" doesn't necessarily cover the topic because they're a non-human species. The whole gag is the other characters just can't wrap their heads around how gender even works for elves. I figure just aim for someone that is androgynous and somewhat ethereal/majestic/striking and that's probably yer best bet.

I personally dislike Tilda Swinton for it cuz she's finally starting to show some crow's feet and similar age lines, whereas I'm always gonna want an elf to look pretty much ageless.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    For V an androgynous actor/actress is required.
    I think Tilda Swinton has already be nominated.
    We can add Milla Jovovich, or, my preferred: Emma Watson!

Without makeup, she looks androgynous enough.

And here she just misses the pointy ears, to be an elf!
    You know, that's a pretty compelling case actually. I typically think of Emma Watson as "obviously" female but she could definitely pull off playing V.

She could even do the condescending, articulate and verbose accent I picture V as having!

Yeah, I'm really liking this casting choice.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If we could go for deceased actors, I'd just love to see Pat Morita as Shojo.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

20. - Top - End - #140

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Oh, well jeez, if were doing that then David Bowie is V. :P

James Hong would be a pretty good Shojo, of people still alive, IMO.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

RE V and queer actor.

Gender (as opposed to sex) isn't something that is visible and V's part in the story has nothing to do with V's gender or sexual orientation (there is no coming out for example).

Choosingan actor is based on wether they look the part and wether they can play the part. Had V's story involved gender politics in any further way than just the gag of V's androginity the actor's gender and/or sexual orientation may be important (inasmuch asitaffects their capacity to play the part) but since it doesn't they are irrelevant.

As for looking the part? Yeah we need someone that can pass for either sex.

That Emma Watson picture convinced me.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    I don't see why deceased should matter, since it's basically a thought exercise. Or, for that matter, living actors at younger ages.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Mackenzie Davis:

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't see why deceased should matter, since it's basically a thought exercise. Or, for that matter, living actors at younger ages.
    In that case, definitely Cary Elwes for Elan/Nale. I mean, is it even a competition?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

In that case, definitely Cary Elwes for Elan/Nale. I mean, is it even a competition?
    Could he really play the fool very convincingly, though? I mean, my memory of him is Princess Bride and Robin Hood, and in both of those he's very suave and self-assured and dashing, which definitely fits Elan, but he's not quite so absentminded as I'd want from a live-action Elan. For me, you'd need to be able to tell in the first few seconds of seeing Elan's character onscreen that he was a total doofus, albeit a competent one, and Cary Elwes just doesn't quite have that vulnerability.

He would, however, make an excellent Nale.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Could he really play the fool very convincingly, though? I mean, my memory of him is Princess Bride and Robin Hood, and in both of those he's very suave and self-assured and dashing, which definitely fits Elan, but he's not quite so absentminded as I'd want from a live-action Elan. For me, you'd need to be able to tell in the first few seconds of seeing Elan's character onscreen that he was a total doofus, albeit a competent one, and Cary Elwes just doesn't quite have that vulnerability.

He would, however, make an excellent Nale.
    I mean, even with those two, this scene and this scene exist. The guy can pull off undignified pretty well.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Ariel Winter for Haley or Vaarsuvius.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Totally agree with this choice for Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by BelgarathMTH View Post
    Ooh, I like it. Roy is like Heimdall, huh? I need to find more clips of his voice. One of the things I'm looking for in actors, besides matching appearances, is voices I can read the comic in.

So, you think Roy speaks like Heimdall?

29. - Top - End - #149
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I like Jack Black as Belkar.

30. - Top - End - #150

In that case, Rita Hayworth in her primes for Haley. Natural redhead; maybe not curvy-curvy, but close enough (specially for modern standards); and a good actress to boost.

Oh, and Stewart Granger for Julio. He practically already played the role.
    (This one should be from Scaramouche)

ri-edit:
    And why not Spencer Tracy for Durkon/Durkula?
    Just put a beard on him!

Last edited by Dr.Zero; 2018-06-15 at 07:08 AM.