New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: IC A Voltane Family Affair

The view from up here wasn't bad at all, at least once you stopped twirling (physically at least, his head was still aflutter about the cat). The fight as he could see, was going well. One owl bear down (from the other! How do they even survive to reproduce!?).

Vittio was getting a little concerned about Grandma Papa, though. He was bleeding a fair bit (don't look too close Vittorio, might get sick). Best do something then!

"Otto, to me!". A thought had Otto swooping down and fluttering in the owl bear's face. The lumbering mass turned to follow the owl as it darted back and Vittorio took his shot.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Otto does a flyby help action, giving Vittorio's shot advantage.
    Eldritch blast:
    Attack: (2d20b1)[1] + 4 + (1d4)[4] Damage: (1d10+4)[11]

2. - Top - End - #62

OldWizardGuy

A stunning display of failure begins to take over the family but fortunately Scruffley the cat keeps her wits about her, landing two strikes on the already damaged owlbear fighting Borgio.

Lucrezia, seeing the damage old Astar has taken, targets her reprimand at the owlbear attacking him. Wis ST (1d20+1)[6]

Elizabet is able to get a quick shot in on the third bear who seems quite distracted by Borgio.

3. - Top - End - #63

OldWizardGuy

The two owlbears continue their frenzied assault.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Bear 2 on astar
    (1d20+7)[25] (1d20+7)[27] take the lower
    (2d8+5)[10]
    (1d20+7)[23]
    (1d10+5)[11]

Bear 3 on borgio
    (1d20+7)[13]
    (2d8+5)[11]
    (1d20+7)[23]
    (1d10+5)[9]

Lucerzia cutting words the first attack that does 10 or more damage
    (1d8)[7]

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

Scruffley leaves the sword where it is, its faintly glowing radiance projecting a dim, cool light. She instead sends a blast of radiance towards the more injured-looking owlbear, and meows a prayer of healing.

Show
    (1d8)[6] damage on a failed DC 13 Dex save.

And (1d4+3)[4] healing on Astar.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Borgio grunts as he takes a claw across the chest, but, he continues his attack! The spirits of their ancestors protecting them from bear 2's assult!

Spoiler: Rolls!
    Show

(1d20+6)[8] (1d8+6)[10]

(1d20+6)[7] (1d8+2)[8]

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Astar grunts as the owlbear's beak and claws tear at him. He hesitates--he could heal himself and keep himself on his feet. But he couldn't let the tide continue to turn against them and put them on the defensive. He'd have to trust his family and Moradin to keep him alive.

He once again raises his glowing axe, and with a prayer to Moradin, brings it down on the owlbear.

This time his axe strikes true, and the power of Moradin thrums through him, radiant light striking the owlbear with an almost physical blow.

Spoiler
    Show

AC 18 HP 9/40 (+7 from Scruffley)
    Attack - (1d20+8)[19] + Bless - (1d4)[1] = 20
    Damage - (1d8+6)[13]
    Divine Smite - (2d8)[10]
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2018-06-10 at 04:12 PM.
    Donald S. Crankshaw
    Blog: Back of the Envelope

7. - Top - End - #67

"Flying really is tricky", Vittorio murmured to him self. An errant breeze had thrown off his aim, resulting in his magical fury being taken out on the beach.

"Once more, Otto. This fighting stuff is trickier than in tales."

Roll in sec. Meal ready.

8. - Top - End - #68

Show
    Eldritch blast with Otto help + bless
    Attack: (2d20b1)[18]+4+(1d4)[2]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[14]

9. - Top - End - #69

OldWizardGuy

Borgio misses his mark once again. But Astar makes up for it with a blow that nearly takes one of his opponent's arm off. Vittorio is able to manage hitting the bear finally. But the other bear is able to dodge Scruffley's flame.

10. - Top - End - #70

Lucrezia sees the beating that Astar takes and hurries over to him. "I'm right here. Patching you up." She places a hand on his shoulder and uses her magic to rejuvenate the dwarf.

Spoiler: Cure Wounds
    Show

Casting as a second level spell.
    (2d8+4)[13]

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Various magic nonsense had happened to keep the rest of her family fighting. She, however, wasn't doing as well as she'd expected: She was missing more than she'd like. The scout scowled. Maybe Fran's absence had rattled her more than she thought.

It was strange that the bears were attacking this ferociously. Most predators didn't fight to the death; better to run away and shoot them in the back another day, or however that dumb saying went.

Another opportunity presented itself: She drew back another arrow and let it fly.

Show

For the owlbear near Aster if it's still alive, the other one if not

(1d20+6)[14] to hit, (1d6+4)[8] dam +(2d6)[5]SnkAtk
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

12. - Top - End - #72

OldWizardGuy

Elizabet's arrow strikes the bear who screeches in anger and pain. But they continue to attack.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Bear 2 on astar
    (1d20+7)[17]
    (2d8+5)[10]
    (1d20+7)[17]
    (1d10+5)[11]

Bear 3 on borgio
    (1d20+7)[18]
    (2d8+5)[19]
    (1d20+7)[16]
    (1d10+5)[14]

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you, lass," Astar mutters as Lucrezia heals him. "Better see to Borgio. I'll deal with this one."

He returns to the owlbear he's facing. This time, he intended to finish it.

He feels the power of Moradin thrum through him, empowering his axe, guiding his hand. His axe strikes true, and flashes with brilliant divine energy when it hits.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack - (1d20+8)[24] + Bless - (1d4)[4] = 28
    Damage - (1d8+6)[14]
    Divine Smite - (2d8)[12]
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2018-06-12 at 10:13 PM.
    Donald S. Crankshaw

14. - Top - End - #74

OldWizardGuy

Divine energy pulses through Astar as he lands the final killing blow on the furious owlbear before him.

15. - Top - End - #75

Vittorio's eyes widen as Astar slays the owl bear with a flashy display of divine might. "I always thought that I shouldn't tick granda papa off."

Show
    Eldritch Blast with Bless+Help at remaining owl bear:
    Attack: (2d20b1)[18]+(1d4)[4] + 4
    Damage: (1d10+4)[7]

16. - Top - End - #76

Sending the divine blade over to the last bear, Scruffley also strikes it with a blast of radiance. She stays back, but is clearly a touch worried for her master.

Show
    (1d20+5)[23] for (1d8+3)[10] damage

(1d8)[8] damage on a failed DC 13 Dex save.

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #77

OldWizardGuy

The family pet claims the final kill.

The massive body slumps to the ground and, for a moment, this strange new world falls quiet again. Almost peaceful. The waves lap at the sand and the wind restless the grassy meadow - interrupted only by the heavy breathing of our brave heros.

"What the **** were those things?! ****ing bird face **** ass bears!" A concern is voiced from the rowboat "With the godamm beaks! Mother****ing bear arms! Did you see them Jim??"

"'Course I did! They was right there, weren't they." Jim replies "This lot gave 'em the what for, didnt they. Flyin' 'round, callin' up the dead, settin' their devil cat on 'em..." he sighs heavily "It's the Lords' work, ain't it."

18. - Top - End - #78

Meow, Scruffley states triumphantly. She heads over to claim her spot on Borgio's shoulder, and begins to clean her paws.

The divine sword vanishes, as well as those enhanced by her spell feel its effects fading.

After a few moments of selfish bathing, Scruffley does look around and see if anyone needs any particular help.

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Borgio smirks, the last of the bears defeated by his prideful companion! As the Cat takes it's rightful place on Borgio's shoulder, he lightly scratches her chin "Very Good!"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Elizabet completely ignored the crew as she stalked over to one of the owlbear corpses, kneeling to inspect it briefly and retrieve her arrows before she ghosted over to her family.
    "...Erdharl. Uncle. Gonna live?"
    She tapped her medicinal pack in a silent offer. With magic, of course, such things weren't always needed, but asking pointless questions was meant to be social.

Concern duly shown, she turned her face towards the sky and her floating brother.
    "Vittorio. Here. Let's look at the owlbears."

Strange for predators to act like that. Why? If it was a disease there might be signs of it. With magic, though... who knew? That's why she needed him. He'd waste- filled his time with stuff like that.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

21. - Top - End - #81

Lucrezia sighs with relief once the fight is over, near the end it was getting too close for comfort. "How is everyone doing? Would anyone like some more healing?"

Looking between the owlbears, Lucrezia knows there is little that she would know about them, and so focuses her sights on the land to see if there were any obvious paths to or from this landing spot. She tries to appraise just how good of a location this may be to set up camp.

Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show

Perception: (1d20+3)[12]

If survival would be more appropriate that's fine - they have the same modifier.

22. - Top - End - #82

"A moment!!". Vittorio fumbles for a few seconds, then begins to smoothly descend. Otto approaches and cautiously lands on his shoulder just after he touches down. Vittorio sort of shuffle/hops over to the owl bears, the levitation still having some sort of effect.

"Tisk. Tisk.". He looks closely at the first owl bear. "These are just like the one that killed poor professor Von Luthenburg. They are the product of arcane magic and possess a strength that is only matched by their incredible bloodlust. Owlbears will kill anything that moves. And I haven't the foggiest if they breed or how they could have got here. We are either dealing with some rogue mage or the offspring of something release here long ago. Scouting is even more important than I had realised. Our dog won't scratch something like an owlbear... Though our cat might!?"

Vittorio turns away from it.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm fine, Elizabet," Astar says as he rocks his battleaxe free from the owlbear's spine. "Took a beating, but Lucrezia and . . ." He frowns. He was certain the magic came from the cat, but it was just a cat, wasn't it? Maybe it was a celestial cat. He suddenly missed Tolliver more than ever.

He clears his throat. "Anyway, see to Borgio. He took the brunt of that attack near the end." He cleans his axe on the owlbear's fur before sheathing it.

He looks around at the others. "You all acquitted yourselves well. I'm proud of you. But that was a tougher fight than it should have been. Part of it is that I'm out of practice, but we also need to learn to work together better as a team. We'll discuss this more later, but for now, we need to finish unloading our supplies."

After his speech, he wanders over to his grandson. "If you need some healing, Borgio, I'd be glad to help."

Spoiler
    Show

Currently at 29 hp

If Borgio agrees, lay on hands for 10 points.
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2018-06-13 at 08:19 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

Vittorio yells to the crew. "We didn't die! Behold the fearsome and incredibly rare Owlbear." He looks to the others for approval. "House Voltane would like to make a down payment on chartering your next voyage"

Spoiler: Persuasion
    Show
    (1d20+6)[17]

25. - Top - End - #85

Vittorio also tries to get the others to let him go back into the air before his spell fades, soaring high with Otto to make a more detailed map of the surrounding area.

26. - Top - End - #86

OldWizardGuy

"7 days passage for 3 stinking corpses! Wouldn't advise you let Captain hear you say that... might get offended."

Between Lucrezia and Vittorio, the family gets and idea of where they are.

"A" marks the Dare and "B" the rowboat.

27. - Top - End - #87

Scruffley purrs in contentment as Borgio lays his ministrations on her. As he does, though, she thinks to him You sure you're okay?

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Borgio smiles to his cat "I had taken a hit yes, but, It is more important you take care of the others." He beats his chest "I am the shield of my family. If A blow comes down upon me to protect them, I will accept it with honor. Go, heal the others, I will be fine Scruffly."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

"Borgio and Lucrezia, perhaps you should go with these gentlemen and help load our stuff. I'll stay here with the others. We'll look after things and help unload stuff as it arrives."

Astar walks over to the river, moving a bit further from the beach, and then kneels down to scoop up a handful of water. He sniffs at it, and then touches his tongue to the water to see whether it's fresh or brackish.

Spoiler
    Show

Since I have immunity to disease and resistance and advantage against poison, I'm probably best positioned to test the water.
    Donald S. Crankshaw

30. - Top - End - #90

Abashed by the sceptical reply, Vittorio huffs off and starts ritually summoning invisible servants to help with unloading.

Show
    Casts unseen servants every 10 minutes, effectively able to work like 6 people after one hour.

In his spare moments, he tries to shape an enclosure for livestock out of loose earth.
    Last edited by charlesrwest; 2018-06-14 at 07:10 PM.