New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Circle of Assassins XX: Race to the Top

Race to the Top

The year is 1935, fifty years after Clinton Thomas Dent wrote his book, Above the Snow Line, in which he suggested that reaching the summit of Mount Everest was possible. It is also eleven years since George Mallory and Andrew Irvine disappeared in the first serious attempt to undertake such an achievement.

A competition has been arranged by some of the world's wealthiest to see who can be the first team to reach the summit, and descend alive and with proof of their achievement. Each will be provided with what they need to make the ascent, including Sherpas to help you along.

Characters
    Now then, how to make a character?

Expedition Leader's Name: What is the name of the person leading this expedition? Do not name your character Edmund Hillary or Tenzing Norgay .

Nationality: You are all humans, so what part of this world do you represent? There can be many groups from the same nation.

Financier/Backers: Who is backing your group's attempt to reach the top? Single patron, or a financial group?

Description: Describe your character.

Previous Experiences: Describe what exactly makes them special.

Secret:
    PM me the secret you wish to hide from your fellow survivalists.

Let's take a look at Lexi Alexandria III, shall we? ((Sample Profile))

Expedition Leader's Name: Lady Alexandria III, of House Alamay.

Nationality: She hails from the United Kingdom,or more accurately, Wales.

Financier/Backers: Backed by 'Wings and Wands', a secret society of faerie/pixie enthusiasts.

Description: Small winged creature with near-transparent wings of purple and pink. Or at least.... that's the costume she wears, outside of climbing, even as an official adult. She's 4'9", wearing pink and green climbing gear. Her hair is done up in a bun, most of the time, and it is died lavender, and she wears violet contact lenses.

Previous Experiences: Alexandria climbed many trees as a child, near her home in Laugharne. When her mother married Sir William Alamay, they moved to Cardiff. As a young woman wishing to get away, she began climbing the nearby mountains of Wales, concurring all of them. As an adult, she wishes to continue this trend, including climbing the tallest mountain in the world.

Secret:
    Lexi has a strange fascination with pixies. Good thing she hides it so well.

Game Rules:
    Spoiler
    Show

I. Character creation

1. Post your character's name and a description in the recruitment thread.
    1.1 The name should be appropriate for the theme of the game.
    1.2 The description should include at least the character's favored method of killing. Other details on his appearance, personality and modus operandi are also appreciated.

2. Send the Narrator your character's secret in a PM. What the secret is depends on the theme of the game, but it is usually a secret identity or vulnerability.

Secret: PM this to me: do NOT post it on the game thread. This may be a skeleton in your character's closet or an actual physical weakness.

II. The game round

1. The Narrator post a list of all remaining characters, and a list of secrets that are connected to those characters.

2. Send the Narrator a PM with a guess. If you can guess correctly which secret belongs to which character, that character dies at the end of the round. Write your guess in the following format: [character] is [secret]
    2.1 Once you've sent your PM, you cannot change your guess. The only exception to this rule is that if your target is invalid, you can change your target.
    2.2 You can only target characters and secrets listed by the Narrator.
    2.3 You cannot target your own character, but you can target your character's secret.
    2.4 The deaths occur simultaneously, and thus it is possible for two characters to kill each other, or even for all remaining characters to die on the same round.
    2.5 If two or more players kill the same target, it counts as an assisted kill for each of the players.
    2.6 Lone kills count as 1 point. Assisted kills count as a half point, regardless of how many assisted.
    2.7 If you don't send a PM to the Narrator, or your PM does not have a valid guess in it, you are considered to be absent on that round. Three consecutive absences result in auto-elimination.
    2.8 You are allowed to send your guess in advance if you know you'll otherwise be absent on a round. You may include conditions as necessary to avoid choosing an invalid target.

3. You may roleplay your character in the game thread. It is not obligatory, but it is recommended (helps me write better narrations. ).

4. You may make pacts with other players. A pact may be public (made in the game thread) or secret (made in PMs). In either case, any such pacts are non-binding.

5. When 72 hours (3 days) have passed or everyone has sent in their PMs, the Narrators narrate the deaths and lists all guesses made that round.
    5.1 The correct guesses are listed in the following format: Player 1 says Player 2 is a "Secret".
    5.2 Incorrect guesses will not be bolded: Player 2 says Player 1 is a "non-secret".

6. The Narrators checks how many players are left.
    6.1 If there are no characters alive, the game is over and there is no winner.
    6.2 If there is one character left, that player wins the game.
    6.3 If there are two characters left, the one with more points wins; if it's still a tie, the one with the most unassisted kills determine the winner. If it's still a tie, then.... it's a Tie!
    6.4 If there are three or more characters left, a new round begins.
    III. Away-Guesses1. If someone knows they are going to be away from the game for a more than a single round, they can provide me with Away-Guesses.2. You only get one guess, per day.
    2.2 So no making "But if their dead, I vote for _____." guesses. The point of this is to give you a small chance of affecting play, if you would like to.
    2.3 This is by no means necessary, if you are going to be away.
    IV: Reminder PMs1. I've always done this, I will PM any players who haven't sent me a guess at the end of the first 72 hours, and extend the round another 24 hours.
    1.2 This is a one/player/game opportunity.
    2. After 96 hours, you missed your chance to guess, and the game resumes.

Player list

#
    Player
    Expedition
    Leader
    Secret?
    Kills/
    Unassisted
    Logic
    banjo1985
    Brian Blessed (English)
    Extrail
    George Paul Le-mere (N. American)
    LordHargon
    Hogan Brushmoore (Australian)
    rakkoon
    Jean-Pierre LeRac (French)
    Kish
    Xihirli
    Last edited by Lex-Kat; 2018-06-14 at 05:57 PM.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Circle of Assassins XX: Race to the Top

In. Hopefully I do better than the last time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

*A wild Banjo appears*

Expedition Leader's Name: Brian Blessed

Nationality: British, from Yorkshire, specifically.

Financier/Backers: A large conglomerate of bankers and politicians Brian bellowed at until they caved in and gave him money, led by Conrad Poohs, Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Description: Brian is a huge man in his early thirties, six foot four and around half that across. He has more the physique of a burly sailor than a body builder, and is massively hairy, though he takes care to keep his mane of dark brown hair and full beard well maintained. He insists on wearing short sleeves and khaki hiking shorts, even when halfway up a mountain, insisting that sleeves are for pansies.

Previous Experiences: Brian has climbed many a tree, the occasional building, and, just once, the backside of an elephant at Edinburgh zoo. He'll climb anything for a challenge, and learns by doing. To him, Everest is just a bigger, colder elephants bum.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Odds of survival? None
    Will i play? I'll give it a go.

Expedition Leader's Name: George Paul Le-mere

Nationality: He hails from the United States more specifically New Jersey.

Financier/Backers: He is Backed By Nestle. He must eat rations made up of the food they provide for him though. (You'd be surprised what they have even at 1935.)

Description: This fair skinned man has an honourable feel about him.
    Standing 6' 0" tall, he has broad shoulders and weak arms, a stocky torso with no muscle tone, a straight waist, broad hips, and short legs.
    His brown hair is short and straight, and is tied back.
    He has a square face with a rounded jaw with no facial hair, and his deep-set, mysterious eyes are green. His nose is well-formed and he has full lips.
    He is wearing black climbing gear to gather additional warmth from the light.
    He tends to be a copycat if he kills someone. Using there method of killing on them.
    He also tends to be logical if your not allied with him, and it seems like your not helping him and he knows enough about you. He will target you.
    Previous Experiences: He had climbed in his companies ranks eventually becoming a Board member of Nestle.

Secret: Find out.
    Last edited by Extrail; 2018-06-01 at 02:41 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Expedition Leader's Name: Hogan Brushmoore

Nationality: Australian, from the city of Sydney

Financier/Backers: A mysterious monocled old man. His only request was that Hogan returned with the top of the mountain in hand.

Description: A lean, well tanned man with dirty blonde hair. He is 5'10 and wears tan boots, tan pants, and a tan shirt. Everything he wears is the same color, tan. His light blue eyes are almost always squinting and he seems to always have a crooked smile. His nose is crooked, obviously having been broken in the past.

Previous Experiences: Hogan has climbed every single rock in Australia. He has traveled the entire country, climbing every single last rock he could find. Property lines, venomous wildlife, and ferocious drop-bears were not enough to stop him.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is mah jam. Full bio later

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    "Leave my Rakkoon alone!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What shall I say to thee, rakkoon, thou cruel,
    Ingrateful, savage and inhuman creature,
    That knewst the very bottom of my soul,
    That almost mightst have coined me into gold
    Wouldst thou have practiced on me for thy use?
    Supa Songs about me

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the banner and Rowsen for the avvie!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Like Logic and rakkoon, I'm interested in this, and will post character information later.

8. - Top - End - #8

Expedition Leader's Name: Jean-Pierre LeRac

Nationality: French

Financier/Backers: Backed by the French shadow parliament.

Description: Very tall and lean fellow. Balding with reading glasses. Always in costume.

Previous Experiences: Jean-Pierre has been climbing since an early age. It relaxes him after all the strange work he has to do for the shadow government. He was the French champion three years in a row before he gave that up for free climbing. He also enjoys red wine, a good history book and knife throwing.

Secret: He's actually Swiss by birth.

Spoiler
    Show

Supa Songs about me

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Y'might want to choose a different secret and PM it to Lex-Kat. If we all know your secret you'll be killed the first day.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

No one will ever know...
    I’m for this. Let’s kill each other politely.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Y'might want to choose a different secret and PM it to Lex-Kat. If we all know your secret you'll be killed the first day.
    True...he's actually from Ghana!

Spoiler
    Show

Supa Songs about me

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, so I so far have 7 players, 4 expeditions, and 3 secrets.

Thank you for joining, but the game cannot commence without those secrets (PM'd the me) and expeditions (posted in the thread). Otherwise, thank you for joining.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Don't worry. This is a long standing joke for CoA. Some players like to post fake secrets for their characters.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Expedition Leader's Name: Commander Mawurndjul

Nationality: Arrernte

Financier/Backers: Several independent communities in Australia.

Description: They are androgynous and dark, with the blond hair of the Southern Pacific that has fascinated geneticists stylized into an almost cloudlike shape.

Previous Experiences: Mawurndjul has been credited by their backers as an explorer and tracker, with a long history of successful missions. However, neither them or their past employers will go into detail regarding the events of these missions.

Secret: Yes.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll post my contribution later today. I'm a bit busier than expected this past 2 and a half weeks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.