The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default In Dreams to Come 2 - Back to the Future

Flashpoint awoke with a groan.

It took him a moment (which to him consisted of about twenty nanoseconds, but whatever) to get his bearings. Then in a flash his was on his feet. The pyrokinetic speedster was still badly injured, although his hasted metabolism was already repairing the damage to his body.

...The damage to his ego, on the other hand...

Flashpoint's burning gaze lanced upon the Prophet. Unconscious. Passed out from exhaustion. In a blur, Flashpoint stood beside the fallen speedster.

He raised one hand, which vibrated rapidly, the air above it wavering from the intense heat generated by the friction.

He held that pose for several long moments (so...almost a hundred nanoseconds?) before his hand stopped vibrating and he clenched his fist. He grabbed the unconscious speedster by the front of his robe, and reached for the hood that still covered his face.

Hesitated.

Leaving a trail of burning footprints behind them, the two speedsters vanished, coming to a stop at the edge of the cliffs.

Flashpoint looked down at the choppy ocean below, then at the cloaked and hooded Prophet who had not just foretold his defeat, but managed, somehow, to overcome him in combat. Even though he was clearly more powerful. Even though he was clearly faster!

"Nobody will ever know..." he said, though whether his words were meant for the Prophet's ears or his own was impossible to say.

He dropped his enemy off the cliff, watched in the slow motion of a speedster's perception as he drifted languidly down, hit the water with a gradually-building splash, and sank into the sea.

Nobody but you, the Prophet's voice seemed to whisper in his head.

Flashpoint clenched a fist, and raced off. If that speedster had given him that much of a fight, who even knew what trouble Brava was getting herself into?

--

Brava was getting herself into quite a bit of trouble.

To be fair, though, she was loving every second of it.

When Flashpoint blurred onto the field, he beheld a scene that not even a full minute ago seemed completely impossible. The Unmatchable, Unconquerable OMEGA FORCE!!!!!...was losing.

Burnscar was down. Brace was completely hogtied. Deathwish...had gotten her wish, evidently. Even as he watched, a blast of kinetic energy sent Asher - the Sleeper somehow having managed to be the last non-Brava member of the team up and fighting (maybe because he had been deemed too useless to bother attacking?) - staggering back into the crushing blow of the vine-man, leaving the brawler unconscious on the ground. Brava was trading blows with the terrakinetic, and mind-bogglingly, he seemed to be dishing out worse than he was taking. She wasn't down yet, but a crushing combination attack from the rhino and the terrakinetic knocked the wind out of her, she only barely managed to dodge the crackling claws of the rainbow bird, and her regeneration was clearly starting to slow to a stop.

Not a single member of the enemy team had fallen. Not one.

"AH-HA!" Brava extolled. "The Unstoppable Flashpoint returns! You have fought well, but now you shall see what it means to do battle against the the unmatchable combination of ULTIMATE STRENGTH! and ULTIMATE SPEED! Flashpoint! Clear out the lesser foes, the Crumbly But Stubborn Man and Noble Beast of the Great Continent and I have matters to settle!"

"Uh-huh," Flashpoint said, racing through the battlefield in a hasted blur, seemingly everywhere in an instant!

And then the next moment, he, and every member of OMEGA FORCE!!!!! save Deathwish was gone.

Many Hundreds Of Miles Away

Brava blinked as she beheld the open field that Flashpoint had whisked them to. She looked around for a couple seconds, taking in the scene. It was a nice field. A little hilly, with a thick carpet of grass and various patches of white and yellow flowers spread about. A few small trees. The glimmer of a stream off in the distance. She could appreciate it for a moment.

Then she looked to Flashpoint.

"WHAT DID YOU DO!?!?!?"

(Warlock kinda stepped away a bit and started trying to work the kinks out of his neck...and shoulders...and really pretty much every joint in his body).

"Um, got you all out of there before they killed us all? Or possibly knocked us out and delivered us to SIDE. You're welcome, by the way."

"Welcome!? When I wish to offer thanks, I will do it! Take me back!"

"So you can do what!? You were losing a fight with one of them, what do you think you would have done when the lot of them started wailing on you?"

"It would have fought them valiantly, with the STRENGTH and skill that has been passed down the Suldoon line for generations! And if I fell it would have only been after bringing many down with me! But it matters not! You, I and the Ineffable Warlock are more than enough to finish them, now that you have defeated their speedster!"

"...It would be-"

Brava's eyes narrowed appraisingly. Even the slightest hesitation was a meaningful thing, coming from a speedster of Flashpoint's level. "You didn't, did you? No...that explains why you would have us flee. Was the Prophet's combined power of oracular vision and super-speed too much for the vaunted Flashpoint to handle? Did he chase you off with your tail between your legs, to inflict your COWARDICE upon the rest of us?"

Flashpoint's fists clenched, and his eyes narrowed. But he did care for Brava, so he took a long, controlled breath. "I did not wish to see you imprisoned or killed. I am sorry if that violates your self-image, but-"

"COWARD! Cowardly weakling! Frail little runner! I had thought you different, but you are just like every other speedster who I, Brava Suldoon, have ever faced! You talk big when you have the advantage, but the very moment you face difficulty, the first thing you think to do...is run away!"

Brava turned her back on him. "I don't know what I ever saw in you."

(Warlock, having subtly edged off to a safe distance, could only wish for a bag of popcorn.)

Flashpoint raced around to face Brava squarely. "Don't you talk to me like some Dreamer you want to beat up! I saved you!" he spat at her.

"You betrayed me, and everything I stand for! Begone, Cowardly Running Man, unless you want for I, Brava Suldoon, to remove you from my presence with MAIN FORCE!"

"Is that a threat? I know that your family's power grows with every generation, but lest you forget, mine has grown constantly since the day I had my Dream, faster than any other Dreamer on record, like everything else about me! Do not threaten me, Brava. I have already regenerated from my battle, and you are still injured, your regenerative abilities at their limits. I could possibly defeat you even now, but even if I couldn't, do not doubt for a moment that I will be more powerful than even you one day!"

"I am certain you will, but it hardly matters," Brava said, simply walking past him. And...there was nothing Flashpoint could really do about that - the only way he could keep her from moving him out of her way, was to get out of her way. "You have shown me your true self today, Cowardly Running Man. Yes, you will one day become powerful enough to defeat me."

And as she strode away from him and out of his life, Brava said without even deigning to look back at him, "But you will never be brave enough to try."

(Warlock abruptly decided the distance he had chosen was insufficiently safe, and teleported away before either of them remembered his existence. He was nice enough to bring Asher and Burnscar along.)

Flashpoint watched her go with fury twisting his features, the glow seeping out from the seams of his costume intensifying to a blazing aura, his eyes burning like two hellish stars.

He raised one hand, which vibrated rapidly, the air above it wavering from the intense heat generated by the friction.

He held that stance, his entire body tense and ready to act...and held it...and kept holding it...until Brava had left his sight.

Brava Suldoon smirked as she heard a wrathful scream rise up behind her, as the entire field went up in flames and all the trees were burned to ash.

Flashpoint has gained the Burning Pride Complication.

OMEGA FORCE!!!!! Is Disbanded.

Spoiler
    Show
    Battle over! Everybody take a Hero Point for the victory, a second Hero Point for my Fiating their escape, a third Hero Point for altering the timeline to become retroactively responsible for the disbandment of OMEGA FORCE!!!!!, and a fourth Hero Point because after nearly four years we have a NEW IC THREAD YO!

(And no, of course I don't think giving you guys four Hero Points a piece right before the adventure climax is ominous at all. Total coincidence, clearly. None of you should worry about it at all!)

Josh you can awaken at your leisure. When you do, you're in the ocean, lying on the back of a dolphin, surrounded by other dolphins.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: In Dreams to Come 2 - Back to the Future

All things said and done before, Sheema was ready to lay the smackdown, or try to, on the remaining powerhouse villain. Not that Sheema believed she'd be very successful at it; she lacked the strength to beat down on someone with super-resilience and still needs more training to pull that off. However, challenging a trial is far better than ignoring it altogether. Sure, Sheema could kick back and let Makhana and the others deal with Brava but that won't give the Heiress any combat experience.

Too bad she doesn't get any in the first place as the powerhouse is suddenly whisked out of there by her... boyfriend. Honestly, how does that Flashpoint guy put up with her?

"...Oh, well I guess that's that then," Sheema mutters, literally shrugging off her fatigue as she walks over to a corner of the room and grabs the first aid kit. She opens up the package and pulls out several containers of lotions. "Anyone need some ointment?" She offers the containers to the others before applying some of the cream on her dark skin. The liquid cream stings and hurts but the relief it provides is unquestionable.

Makhana, on the other hand, simply gives off deep slow breaths as she "sits" on her hooves. The rhino simply does not care for fire or burns; why should she need some silly human cream in the first place? All she needs is a chance to rest up. She does, however, take the effort to look over at Summit. The earthen boy is given a nod and a gentle, for a dire rhino, sound of acceptance to Summit. "Looks like you finally got her respect," Sheema tells her friend, offering him a high five after getting ointment over her arm. "That's worth celebrating over!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Unlike Sheema, Mandragora had shifted straight into panic mode when Flashpoint had arrived without Josh. Sure, they had seen Josh get out of bad situations before, but after a few seconds of him not showing up once Omega Force was gone, Eric was legitimately worried. On top of all that, several buildings had been smashed during the fighting. There was no doubt that the ACC would already be on their way because people's lives were in danger.

Eric was already feeling through the earth for anyone people who needed saving when he frantically blurted out "We don't have time to relax right now. People could be dying! Not only that, but how do we find Josh? Do we even have any way of knowing whether he's alright?" The vine man was frantically praying to the gods in the meantime, both internally and under his breath.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Despite his endurance was somewhat beyond any normal man, Aquila had been close to slowing down from exhaustion by the time Flashpoint absconded with the rest of OMEGA FORCE. His form was still rattling somewhat, earth formerly constantly shaking with shockwaves produced by the clash of earth against invincible flesh finally settling down as Brava was taken away.

He was quickly growing VERY aware of the beating he hard taken, letting out a pained breath and clutching his armor as he slowly fell to one knee. Although he was decently sure nothing life-threatening had occurred to him yet, some of his bones were regardless feeling like broken glass after the battle. Clearly he'd have to get more used to having the tar beaten out of himself if this would keep up: powerful as his talents seemed to be, there were many people with stronger ones still.

Lower portion of his earthen mask crumbling away to reveal his mouth as the armor finally began to properly show the damage super-strong fists had inflicted onto it, Summit returned Sheema's high five before wincing considerably. "G-great...woo, good job...guys" he muttered, apparently likely in condition where he may need a minute. "I feel like I just played alone against entire quarterback team. Let's just...take day off tomorrow. That freak of nature hit me so hard I'll be feeling it for a good while. Still...it's a win."

Casting a look at Mandragora, he sighed, broken pavement rattling with the sound. "I doubt we'd be able to find a speedster one way or another at this immediate instant. IF someone guide me, I can...stabilize the buildings so survivors can be dug out properly."
    Last edited by Grim ranger; 2018-06-03 at 02:30 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"He is risennnn!"

The mighty Prophet yelled it to the clouds as he awoke from his slumber, the defeat of the legendary Flashpoint on his mind. His surroundings slowly came to his attention, and he sat up to face the dolphins around him.

"...Oh yeah, this thing. Uhh...greetings, friends! I don't have my...uh, I am not at the moment carrying an enchanted item on my person. Can you understand me?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sheema's happy smile quickly dwindled once Vines mentioned about people dying. "...Oh, right," she answers embarrassingly, looking over at her dire rhino friend. "Those, uh, two buildings got torn down from the fight." Makhana, in response, gives off a grown. She had somehow forgotten that being sent flying into buildings was structurally destructive. This city is supposed to be an urban jungle of steel and brick; why are they as frail as wood and leaves?!

The Heiress gets up off the bed and walks over to Vines. "C'mon, let's hurry then," she tells the others. Sheema can't do much to move rubble off of buildings, as she had shown the first time they had all met. Makhana can certainly help with the heavy lifting but Sheema is better off crawling in smaller places to help find and rescue trapped civilians. At least that in itself is enough to save lives; she wouldn't be much of a hero if she hadn't tried in the first place!

She gives Vines a small pat on the shoulder before heading off. "Don't worry about Josh," she assures her partner. "He probably knew what he was doing, right? I don't think he would've gotten himself killed if he knew who he was bugging." She gives the three time-travelers a quizzed look. "I mean, I figure you all knew what he was doing. Isn't that part of why you came back to this time in the first place?" Sheema still doesn't know what sort of "goal" or "objective" the time-travelers are hiding. Maybe she won't ever know. If today, however, is an indication of the consequences of their goal then she would really like to know why they're actually here in the first place.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The buildings were...okay, gonna be honest, it was bad. The impact of a Makhana-mass projectile at Brava-launched velocities was...substantial. Both buildings had literally toppled. Not collapsed, toppled over like giant dominos and broken apart. Several other smaller buildings in both areas had been badly damaged. The ACC was out in force - Gestalt's team, as it happened, was at the first site, and if he were there Mandragora would recognize some faces at the second. Some Heroes had arrived too, primarily to provide guard and keep an eye out for the attackers in case there was more in store, although they were certainly turning their powers to assist in rescue operations as well. Vanguard IV (sans Veritas, who would not be joining them for another two years) was at the first building, although rather than Phoenix directing them in the way the Heroes who knew her from the future would remember, they were all basically just doing what they could more-or-less independently. Coordinating, but not working as the cohesive, organized team they would be in the future. Yi Achilles and Lauren Sergeant were both their as well, lending their super-strength and potent telekinesis to the cause. The Heroic contribution at the second site was somewhat smaller, but let nobody say they didn't make up for quantity with quality. The legendary Tracer Pulse was racing through the rubble with his vibrational super-speed, seeking people out. A still-full-strength Choir was standing by using her divine voice to speak healing upon the injured, and directing any bodies recovered from the rubble to be placed together in as small an area as possible. And Arcanis himself hovered above the rubble-strewn area, directing Tracer with divinations while telekinetically clearing paths for the ACC. At this point in time, those three represented virtually the single greatest concentration of personal power that Adaros Hero Corps could field. It was a stark reminder of just how much the Heroes of Adaros had truly lost over the past five years, when one remembered that in the present, not a single one of these powerful Heroes was still alive, and the only one remaining with the raw power to equal them was Java.

...And a fresh-faced Test Drive was standing by Choir, speaking with the same divinely-augmented voice to heal those who had been lucky enough to be on the outskirts of the devastation and only get away with minor injuries, so that Choir and the ACC's healers could focus their attention on the people with serious injuries.

--

The dolphins were kinda just chittering and...you know, acting like dolphins. One of them, though, seemed to be paying attention to Josh. Just floating there looking at him as he spoke. It didn't really look any different from the other dolphins (it certainly wasn't any bigger than the rest of them), and didn't like say anything...it might have just found him curious, honestly. It wasn't like dolphins were capable of speech, and as everyone knows, all evidence has indicated that the Dreamer phenomenon only occurs in humans.

...Then again, Makhana sure seemed to understand speech well enough, so who even knows anymore?
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Wow..."

Sheema expected a lot of heroes by the collateral damage once they arrived at the two toppled buildings. She had, however, no idea just how many there are. She's heard many stories about the members of Hero Corps in Adaros but this is the first time she's actually seen some of them so up-close. Vanguard IV, Yi Achilles, Lauren Sergeant, Tracer Pulse, Choir, Test Drive... Sheema has only heard of them and +now they're all here. It's an amazing scene to behold. This was the group she wants to join; this is Hero Corps. It's such an amazing group to her. She can't wait to join! Makhana, who Sheema rides on, looks up and around the various heroes. To the dire rhino, she sees these heroes as people who have yet to earn her respect. Sure, they may have a long list of accomplishments but until she sees them in proper action, she won't be convinced. Many animals in Peral are all bark, no bite; she always makes sure that humans and Dreamers are no different.

Without waiting for the rest of her team, Sheema grabs Summit's hand and pulls him up on Makhana; the dire rhino gives off a gruff yelp as the equivalent of a large boulder is now on her back. Alas to her dismay, largely at Sheema's request, Makhana tolerates having Summit on her back as she carries them over to the second building. "Thanks," Sheema says to her Perallan friend as she gets off and begins scouting around for any trapped civilians.

"Oh spirits... What a mess," she mutters to Summit as she looks around and in the rubble of the building. Makhana lifts various bits of rubble with her horn to help Sheema get in. "She really did smash with that much worse. Wonder what her powers were..." Omega Force's reputation for collateral damage certainly wasn't just rumors. The group was lucky that the fight hadn't expanded further throughout the city.

The dark-skinned princess pauses slightly before looking at Aquila. "Sorry, I should be happier," she says with a smile. "I mean we're actually working with Hero Corps now! Can you believe it? Even their leader is here!" She looks up and points upward at Arcanis as he uses telekinetic magic to move various bits of rubble off the same building. "I've heard Arcanis is amazing. I know his powers are just... magic, and I mean magic not like the shamanism and spirits of Peral. But he's done so much with them." She looks up at the Regional-Commander with a smile, even if he can't see her. "One day, I want to fight alongside him. I want to be a Hero. I want to be someone in Adaros... I want to do my dad proud with our new life."

Makhana, meanwhile... was busy cleaning off the rubble. Unlike her human partner, the rhino has no aspirations to be a member of Hero Corps even if she approves of Sheema's ambition. It's a long path to fame and reputation and a very short one away from it. What matters to Makhana is that Sheema can go down the path without the tragedy that befell her father...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Accepting Sheema's hand and grunting a bit in surprise as he is pulled atop Makhana surprisingly easily, Aquila looked around and couldn't help but wince. The devastation even this short of a fight had left behind was considerable: it just went on to highlight the dangers of superhumans doing whatever the hell they pleased. Although he was obviously not a big fan of giving himself to the mercy of the government and any politician with dangerous ideas, he was still set on trying to tackle the problem somehow... even if it'd literally mean tackling one supervillain after another to avoid more scenes like this.

How many times would he have to stand in middle of a ruined city block still? It already felt like it had occurred too many times by now.

"I don't know if we should be happy" he muttered, sighing slowly as he watched the heroes arriving in force. Many of them were real big names, larger than life when one heard about them, even for someone like himself. Although many people thought wealth was the way to power, he had never witnessed something like this due to being member of a rich family. No, only now that he had considerable powers of his own his life was turning so exciting. And much to his sadness, he was beginning to realize it was probably not as gilded and glorious as one'd think. "Better part of a city block has just been knocked down due to someone essentially throwing a fit. This...shouldn't happen. I have wondered about how it must be when one has plenty of power and attention, and now that I know, it just doesn't seem like healthy lifestyle anymore."

Looking around, he hunched slightly in tired manner before raising his voice. "If someone can point me towards the trapped people, I can get them out as needed!"
    Last edited by Grim ranger; 2018-06-15 at 12:58 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sheema's body briefly freezes as Aquila raised his concerns. It wasn't the response she was expecting from him. She sighs from her prone pose, looking through small open spaces between rubble to look for people. "I mean it could've been a lot worse," she tries to reassure Summit. "Omega Force is known for massive collateral damage. Most of their battles probably would have been much worse than this." It's not much for comfort, and Sheema knows it well, but someone has to look at the bright side of things! "Besides, we beat up the lot of them; I don't expect them to try anything for awhile after that."

The dark-skinned princess looks over her shoulder and points out someone stuck within the rubble, giving Summit the chance to lift the trapped people out with his geokinetic powers. She didn't really have an idea how his powers works besides that he can just shift minerals around him. It certainly puts her own abilities to shame, given she's neither a Dreamer nor someone reliant on powerful technology... which is what makes Aquila's comments all the more concerning. "...Summit, are you afraid of being a Hero?" She gives her friend a briefly worried look; her tone softer than usual. Her question isn't one mocking his concerns; she knows there are plenty of Dreamers who don't want to live the life of Hero Corps or a SIDE agent. But she's been toying with the idea of convincing Aquila to join Hero Corps with her, especially after all they've been doing since they first met... Does he not like that?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

"I suppose it is true" Summit was forced to agree with a mild smile. "They do supposedly have bit of a reputation for this sort of thing. I just hope this is the last time we have to fight them. It is not only that the fight was exhausting, but it was also amazingly stressful. No matter their faults, they have worrying amount of power. For a moment I was not sure we were going to pull this off."

It was a bitter pill to confess that, but he had never been the sort to lie to himself about such important things. The heroes he had associated with were strong, but they were still not the best. There was always the possibility of insurmountable threat right around the corner.

Carefully guiding the stone and concrete to part and hover out of the way before using sand and earth to gently pull the trapped people out of the rubble, he thought about Sheema's question. WAS he afraid of being a hero? So far the battles had been admittedly stressful, but nothing that would have driven him away from being a hero by themselves: he was not that easily intimidated. The fact he seemed to have the ability to take a train to the face and walk it off didn't hurt in that regard either. So why was he so nervous about the matter?

"...I don't know" he admitted, sliding his hand along his hair and sighing slowly. "I am not afraid to fight, I think, even if I wince when seeing destruction like this that those fights inevitably leave behind. It just feels like... the responsibility is somewhat heavy. Few weeks ago I thought about heroes as just another bunch of public stars while trying to manage my own life into something productive with little success. And moving right to being a hero from that? I don't know if I have EARNED something like that. I suppose I am somewhat scared, of being tested and to fail."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sheema pauses as Summit responds. Something about his words struck a chord in the princess... In fact, it reminds her of her past life far away from Ilessia.

"...Summit?" She asks quietly as she continued coordinating with him to move rubble. "Listen. I told this before, but I was once a princess back in Peral; and my dad was a king. He didn't rule a lot, just like a city, but he did rule it. The people loved him but he was... um... bad at negotiation." Sheema's rare hesitance shines quietly through as she continues. Makhana attempts her best to ignore the story which she's been a part of already. "The areas around us teamed up and attacks. Me, my dad and Makhana were all driven out. We're not really rulers or royalty anymore... So we moved here, to Adaros."

She pauses, taking a deep breath in the process. She doesn't like telling her whole story; being forced out of Rivinas was never a fun part of her life. She has, however, a point to make out of all this. "My dad now is doing what I can to give me a good life. I haven't really "earned" anything either. But I have something to earn by doing this. I mean I want to be a hero. I want to make something of my life. And that means I gotta try. And if I fail? I'll try again. My dad's been down from his one great failure; I can't let any failures keep me down either." She attempts to smile, aware that her words certainly don't have the same impact of actually following on it.

"Even if you have powers and I don't, we're both in this together. Don't let yourself be down if you make a mistake. I'll be here to help with that. And you can do the same for me." She reaches out to offer her hand, even if just as a gesture to back her words. "I think you'd make a great Hero, Aquila. I'm going to try and join Hero Corps as soon as I can. I'm sure they'll welcome you as well if you join. And I'll be there every step of the way if you do!" She gives him another smile; her words and expression are hopefully all that he needs right now.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Okay I'mma move things along but Sheema, Aquila, feel free to continue your talk in parallel or in the side scenes thread as suits you!

The cleanup went as well as it could. There were limits to what you could do in situations like this, but certainly fewer limits for powerful Dreamers (or near-equivalents) than most. And the toll was lessened non-trivially when Choir, after as many bodies as she had time to wait for had been gathered in as small an area as they could fit, sang out a word of power almost too pure for the mortal ear to hear. Sacred light beamed down over the corpses that surrounded her, bright as the rising sun, and when it faded...they didn't all stir and awaken, but at a quick count, it was better than half.

Choir herself passed out immediately thereafter, though, as was, you know, probably to be expected. Test Drive caught her, easing her to the ground, and the mimic eyed the remaining bodies intensely for a moment, a burning, hopeful determination in her gaze.

Then she shook her head and went back to healing the merely injured. Some things were best left to the professionals, and the key to Test Drive's success as a Hero had always been that she knew her own limits, and how best to work within them.

The Heroes and ACC spoke to the six in the aftermath, thanking them for their help and getting details about what had precipitated the attack, which they duly passed on to SIDE. "To live to tell of this...Omega Force is no small feat," Arcanis said to them in the aftermath, as they were preparing to take their leave. "Even more to overcome them through force of arms. If you would indulge an old man some advice, I think that people like you would make excellent Heroes, in the future."

If there was a knowing twinkle in the archmage's eyes, it was well-hidden indeed.

--

Weeks went by. Judy's prototype had been completely destroyed by Brava's shockwave, along with...you know, their base. In the aftermath, the Wildling farm wound up becoming something of a new home away from home to the time-displaced Heroes. ...Especially given that like half the group was spending like half their time there anyway. And Judy liked the animals, so that was nice (she had set up shop in an out-of-use barn near the main farmhouse).

It was late one evening on the farm, the sun almost set. Wulther's rich baritone was filling the farmhouse as the former king regaled the group with some of his old stories about Peral, while dinner was being prepared (by Sheema, maybe? Cooking +10 yo!) It was just a warm, quiet Adaros evening.

...Until Judy suddenly appeared in the middle of the room (she actually ended up standing on the table) shouting the words you never, ever want to hear from a high-level artificer, and especially not from one who is Messing With Time. "SOMETHING WENT WRO-"

SILENCE!!!!!!

--

Your senses came back to you...gradually. What exactly had happened was...hard to describe. It didn't really seem to stick in your minds. A bright purple light, maybe? A sort of...turbulence, perhaps? You could remember the silence. Everything had gone very silent.

Perceptions flowed in. You were in some sort of large building, broad and very long. It looked...maybe like an aircraft hangar? But there weren't any aircraft within.

There was an odd sort of...almost static in your vision. It took a moment to realize it wasn't a trick of your eyes. Everywhere you looked, everything but yourselves, had some weird, occasional...static. Little almost pixels of just...blackness. Utter blackness, appearing for a moment and vanishing. It wasn't heavy. Maybe a pixel every cubic foot or so, on average? But it was pervasive. Even the air had the little flecks of static.

You were standing in roughly the center of the building, packed into about a forty-foot diameter circle, its boundaries clearly marked by a pristine circle of runic symbols that had been carved into the ground, inlaid with gold and filled with what might have been molten gemstone, all held within a perfect circular band of purest silver.

About a thirty feet away, there was a cylindrical capsule, made of greenish glass and set into a sleek metallic frame. Various screen-like displays were showing on the glass, and it was filled with...what at first looked like a liquid, but as your senses grew clearer, you could tell that wasn't quite right. It was a flowing, fluid, translucent mass of nanites. The capsule was clearly extremely advanced technology, but it was also carved with magical rules in precise patterns. Even from a distance, you could feel the energy thrumming within its very structure. It was...a power cell. An enormous, nonsensically-advanced power cell. The sheer skill it must have taken to create such a thing...it defied the imagination.

And within it, floating helplessly in the fluid nanite mass, entirely trapped and impotent, was the future Ilessia's Public Enemy Number 1, the most powerful Dreamer augmenter the world had ever seen, Tara Ellens herself.

Behind that capsule, there were two others.

Behind those, three more.

And on. And on. And on... Expanding out in a pyramidal formation, dozens of the things. Maybe scores. Each one holding someone helpless within. They were conscious, every one of them. Crying or begging or screaming. It was hard to make out any individual words, between the glass and the overlapping sounds...but there were three, coming from Tara's own mouth, that reached Gestalt's ears not so much through clarity of hearing, but old familiarity.

"Someone help us!"

Here's the thing? You were not alone.

The future's Public Enemy #1 floated helplessly in a super-Dreamtech power cell.

Numbers 2 and 3 were standing between her and you.

Sheema and Aquila, Wulther and Makhana, likely wouldn't recognize either of them. To those from the future, their faces were clear. Darryll Harrens and Leopold Daniell, Shamus and the Recruiter, each of them a ludicrously powerful summoner. Both of their faces were...largely blank. Not slack, like they lacked wills or anything, just...resigned.

Standing between and a bit behind them was a man in a full suit of sleek black powered armor, covering everything but his head, a crimson cape hanging from his shoulders. Anyone with any sort of serious technological savvy could see practically with a glance that the suit was far more advanced than any normal powered armor from the time they had come from or even the five years ahead of it. But the armor was not so much the concern as the man within it. His shoulder-length dark hair and neatly-trimmed beard were both slate black, and his eyes a stormy gray and a fiery orange, but when you got past those details and looked at his face, his identity was all too clear.

Leviath Cinder.

Gestalt.

...The Master.

It was like your thoughts were moving through quicksand. Nobody had time to react before the Recruiter brought forth an enormous colossus made entirely of diamond, before Shamus summoned forth a quartet of large, muscular, vaguely-translucent warriors, and the Master himself, with a snap of his fingers, brought an enormous iron knight that looked like it would eat Craftiezel as an appetizer - and Cinder 2 as a main course.

"Destroy the speedster and we're safe. Do not let my past self come to harm," the Master ordered. "The rest of them are irrelevant."

Spoiler
    Show
    Summoned creatures cannot act on the turn they're summoned! Enemy turn begins!

Shamus:
    Move: Charge Horde.
    Standard: Summon Spirit Guardians.

The Recruiter:
    Move: May as well go ahead and draw his GUN!
    Standard: Summon Champion - Diamond Colossus.

The Master:
    Standard: Summon Iron Dreadnought.
    Move: Give orders.

Spirit Guardian 1:
    Summoning sickness.

Spirit Guardian 2:
    Summoning sickness.

Spirit Guardian 3:
    Summoning sickness.

Spirit Guardian 4:
    Summoning sickness.

Diamond Colossus:
    Summoning sickness.

Iron Dreadnought:
    Summoning sickness.

All PCs are on turn. Judy and Wulther will act at the start of next NPC turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-06-21 at 10:37 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"...irrelevant?"

Josh grinned, shook his head, and cracked his knuckles.

"I hope you don't think that. We haven't even started and you've already made six terrible mistakes."

He was off, rushing through the summons and their masters without a second thought, flinging punches and kicks at each of them as he went by. The speedster stopped at Tara's pod, hanging out for a moment to look at her.

"Big T, in the flesh. Never thought I'd meet you."

He took a quick note of the data on her screens, and then rushed past her, dashing by to take stock of just how many people were held here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Flurry of Blows with Power Attack 5, All Out Attack 2, on all da bad guys.

Shamus (1d20+13)[31] for DC 26+Multiattack Damage.
    Recruiter (1d20+13)[18] for DC 26+Multiattack Damage.
    Master (1d20+13)[14] for DC 26+Multiattack Damage.
    Spirit 1 (1d20+13)[16] for DC 26+Multiattack Damage.
    Spirit 2 (1d20+13)[29] for DC 26+Multiattack Damage.
    Spirit 3 (1d20+13)[25] for DC 26+Multiattack Damage.
    Spirit 4 (1d20+13)[22] for DC 26+Multiattack Damage.
    Diamond (1d20+13)[18] for DC 26+Multiattack Damage.
    Iron (1d20+13)[25] for DC 26+Multiattack Damage.

Move-By Action: After distributing as many points as I have left to Speed and Quickness after getting the needed Everywhere ranks to make that attack, I go to Tara, read everything on her displays, then run as far as I can past her to try and uncover how many folks there are and if I know any of them.

Free Action: Go Insubstantial!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sheema was having such a good time...

Things really looked up to her as Arcanis acknowledged her and the other heroes. This was exactly what she wanted to hear as an up-and-coming Hero. Joining Hero Corps is her goal when she arrived in Ilessia and this is the surest sign yet that she'll be able to join. Despite the chaos that happens around these time travelers, things just constantly look up for the Perallan princess.

Very, very briefly, she held Summit's hand as Arcanis left. She wants her friend to join her in Hero Corps. There's nothing more she'd like than to be with him fighting alongside Adaros' other heroes for years to come. She'll make her dad proud joining Hero Corps and undoubtedly Aquila will make his own family proud if he joined too.

---

"Yar har har har har har!"

The loud, boisterous voice booms across the forest, rattling the massive trees as their branches shake from wind and sound. The heavy sound just on the border of the city is punctuated by a massive, clobbering smash from the sharp-scaled right fist of the shark-man as the dire lizard reels from the blow. "And they call ye a dragon?" The long lost accent of the seas seethes forcibly out of Leviathan's sharp mouth as he flashes his many teeth at the lizard. He was, in fact, rather disappointed that the rumors weren't quite true. Yes it's a beast double his size; yes it's a fire-breathing creature; yes it's scorched two other cities and was about to trash Lorinva. But this is not the dragons of old! This is a lizard without wings; this is a lizard without its regal status! This is not the kind of beast that the terror of the seas hoped to face!

The lizard roars in response to the shark-man's wide-mouthed words, breathing its great fire down on the smaller aquatic creature. Flashes of fire and heat wash over around him, frying the grass and plants so overgrown that it goes up to his waist. His own silver scales seem to disappear under the ocean of orange and red against the lizard's rage.

And then the loud, torturing sound of fire blows off as Leviathan's daunting laughter rings out. The musclebound shark-man walks out from the flames, smiling wickedly at the beast. His white-and-blue bandanna is charred by the blast; his wetsuit roasted and partly burnt off; but he, himself, is merely lightly singed. This is the feeling of power he's come to indulge in; he's found unfathomable strength and resilience since the Rite of Sacrifice. His new world, his new home, is in the sea where he is stronger than on land; he'll never abandon the seas between Peral and Paradisia. But this earth, this forest he knows as Peral will always be a part of his world. And he will NEVER let any other beast terrorize it!

With his endless vitality, Leviathan stomps his way to the dire lizard, reaching out and grabbing the beast's jaws with his scaly hands. The reptile, with its massive and numerous teeth, is stunned by the smaller monster's might! "Ain't no kraken nor fish'll be gettin' t' match ol' Cap'n Leviathan!" The shark-man heaves and grunts as he slams the red reptile's mouth shut, bringing their eyes locked as the latter sees Leviathan's battle-loving expression scribbled all over his shark-shaped head. "An' I'll be takin' ye down to the ocean!" he cries, heaving his muscles together as he begins lifting the dire lizard off the ground, planning to give the monster the toss of his life. "An' then t' the Locker with ye!"

In the distance, Lorinva's ancient shaman watches atop the tallest building. Her singing calms the populace down as they are in sight of one monster fighting another. Beneath her mask however, Calliope sighs. She never tolerated Eric since he returned from the ocean as a Beastshifter, much less with his delusions of power and deification. Just what happened to him over all these years?

The page to Sheema's newest book lies on her table underneath the finished copy of Raiders of the Lost. Ever since finishing that book, the Perallan princess wanted to get started on another one. She had ideas and a goal already. While Raiders was a pulp story that introduced the Perallan region and concepts to readers, Sheema wanted to write a book about heroism, about character development, about one of Peral's most mysterious yet important concepts: the Rite. She wanted to write the story of a hero who, while flawed and at points tragic, is also a joy to read, bombastic in personality, and entertaining for both children and adult readers.

Actually starting the writing was, for awhile, quite difficult since Sheema couldn't find a "voice" for the main character. That has changed since; funny how Brava ended up inspiring Sheema...

With a lot of help from her dad, whose first-hand experience as a Beast Shapeshifter is valuable to know, Sheema began the drafting and page-writing process for Leviathan: Titan of the Sea. The story follows 16-year old Erik Clint, a lover of water, the old stories and myths of piracy and corsairs, and the ocean whose bravery, yet jealousy over the power and prestige of Beastmasters, leads him to the failed attempt of rescuing a sinking ship out from his hometown. His sinking into the ocean, leading to his final desperate moments of saving a smaller sharp from a bigger beast, leads to his incredible revival as a Beastshifter who can turn from human to shark-man at will. His adventures after see him, now renamed as Leviathan, scouring the seas between Peral and Paradisia in addition to the lands back home where he confronts danger, villains, even his own distorted views of himself, as he learns and accepts his bravery and responsibility for his form across over a decade of his life. Leviathan, the story, explores the deeper aspects of Peral's traditions and powers, making the protagonist a native instead of a foreigner from Ilessia. Despite the wild protagonist and adventures, the themes of Leviathan touch much closer to Sheema than Raiders did.

Sheema loves the concept, loves the adventure, and loves to make this story all in a novel. Unfortunately it'll be years before she'll be done with it. The new company certainly complicated things.

Life has been good, if calmer and oddly crowded. Sheema didn't have a problem bringing the time travelers over to live on the Wildling farm while they fiddle working on their apparent time machine that got destroyed. Wonder why they were trying to make one in the first place; did they time travel involuntarily? Was it an accident that they ended up at this time? None of them still want to talk about it, to Sheema's frustration.

They have, however, been helpful and kind. While setting up beds in the empty barn was difficult, there was more than enough seats in the living room as Sheema enjoyed the tales spoken from her dad while her food plate rested on her lap. Wulther was always a great storyteller and she loved hearing the tales of her hometown and of Peral. It was great to have other people listen in to Perallan traditions and stories even if these people may be time travelers.

Makhana, at Sheema's behest, started following Judy around since the time travelers moved in. Technically Makhana was supposed to be guarding Judy, as the abandoned barn was less of a secure place compared to the old base. However the rhino took a liking to the time traveler, if nothing more for her reserved curiosity and apparent timidity. She was quite good around animals too, a benefit when you live on an animal farm. As such, the dire rhino, a symbol of Perallan power and authority, was back to being something resembling a babysitter and matriarch to the farm while she tinkered on her little device.

...That was until tonight, where Makhana had suddenly ferried Judy to the house out of some sudden and mysterious horror. There wasn't any time to figure out what happened next.

---

Sheema woke up on the metal ground with her weapons around her. "Ugh..." she groaned quietly, gathering her things together while taking a look around... Wait, where is this? The closest that came to her mind was some mad scientist's place. Capsules are far as the eye can see; power formulating into one person, the biggest capsule among them... surrounded by... several powerful people... and...

"...Wait, what?" Sheema takes several steps back in her boots, drawing Galadhil as she walks next to Makhana who... is no less surprised and is significantly angrier at the sudden events that have occurred. The matriarch is not impressed. Sheema looks over at Gestalt briefly. He... does actually look like a younger version of that black-armored villain. "Hey, is this guy you?" She has so many questions for these time travelers.

A little less confident in her abilities, Sheema looks around again at the capsules and the screens going on. "Hey," she says quietly to the other heroes. "We should probably get these trapped heroes free." It's cute to see that Sheema's just assuming all these trapped people are heroes considering she has no idea who they are. "Any of you know this tech? I'd smash them open but I think I'd hurt those in there." The horror of keeping hundreds and hundreds of people here doesn't have the same impact on Sheema as it might on everyone else. She doesn't know who they are; she doesn't know who they're fighting, and she sure as hell doesn't know what's going on besides that these villains want her and almost everyone else dead.

Show
    Going to delay my action until after Donri's and DukeGod's since they can open the capsules.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2018-07-09 at 10:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Simon's eyes darted around the hangar as he took in the situation at augmented speeds. The hangar. The power cells. Tara Ellens. Daryll Harrens. Leopold Daniell. The Master. The words that flashed across the corner of his vision.

Simon reached out, using his kinetic suit to project his motions. Instead of violent attack, his motions were swift but gentle - and directed at the power cell housing the woman who'd murdered Arcanis. The pod was a marvel of advanced technology, but it was still technology. It didn't come from nowhere - new technologies were rooted in old technologies and inherited pieces of their designs, and Simon recognized no few pieces of the evolutionary tree. On top of that, it had to be created by someone, and people had their own idiosyncrasies that could be exploited - even Leviath's Feynman. "Leviath - start opening pods! They're bio-locked to your signature." Simon, meanwhile, needed mere seconds to circumvent the pod's security and pop open the pod, freeing Tara while he shouted his instruction.

Then his attention turned to Daryll. He was the real question mark here. Tara's drive for revenge was what had sustained her campaign against Paradisia. She wasn't likely to be any less hostile against The Master after being imprisoned and used like that. Daryll was a different creature. His first loyalty was to Tara, and a collapsing timeline was still a threat. But if Daryll could be convinced to throw in with them, it would turn a significant portion of the enemy's combat strength against them.

"Tara! Daryll! I propose a temporary alliance against The Master. We can sort out timeline issues once he's dealt with. Our team's already beaten him before and gotten stronger since - we can do it again. You're never going to get a better chance to take him down."

Show
    Move: Assess and Open Tara's pod. Technology 38
    Standard: Convince Daryll to throw in with us:
    1. Frame it as both Tara & Daryll's choice (so Tara drags along Daryll)
    2. Attempt to take the collapsing timeline threat off the table by addressing it after the Master
    3. Sorry, started writing the big 'ol speech building us up and just couldn't do it. Didn't sound good or Simon-like.
    4. Close with the probable truth that he'll never be in as strong a position against The Master as he is right now.
    And the roll: Deception (1d20+20)[38]
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

The transition was...jarring, to put it lightly.

One moment, they were at the Farm, enjoying the hospitality of Sheema's father, some time having thankfully passed since the last superpowered throwdown forced upon them by the world. The dinner with the heroes at such a rustic environment was proving to be quite fun, and things were going smoothly.

At least until a woman appeared right on top of the table, causing Aquila to jump back in surprise and armor up the best he could, Earth rushing through the floor to cover him just before his senses took a momentary leave.

And now with their return, they were faced by quite an awkward situation with yet another murderous supervillain, their cronies and whole lot of hostages who did not seem to be doing terribly well. On top of everything, the bastards were summoning help as well. If he had learned anything from the painful encounters by now, Aquila had to admit that one of the foremost lessons had been to give regenerators and summoners his utmost loathing. This would probably take a while.

Still, he could help with delaying the enemy, or try at the very least.

"Is it too much asked to even have some time for DINNER with friends before another megalomaniac shows up?" Summit asked with tired groan similar to rocks dragging over metal before slamming his open palm against the metal floor. Controlling metal would be a new experiment for him, but there was always earth below it...and besides, he was the STRONGEST terrakinetic. Anyone who'd try to say otherwise would eventually be proven wrong. Perhaps being a hero was just something his talents were excellently suited for instead of an unreachable ideal? He'd have to give the matter some thought.

As he focused his will, the floor around the summoned constructs of all sorts crumbled and bent before raising up in series of rough ramparts all around the summoned beings and their summoners to give them trouble, spikes of earth and metal stabbing out of them as he focused on the attack.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Active array powers: The Earth My Armor, Ramparts
    Move: No.
    Standard: Hitting all summoned creatures and summoners with Ramparts to try to box them in and injure them with spikes. Damage 12 linked to Create 12.

(1d20+10)[19] (To hit)

18. - Top - End - #18

Kobold

Eric didn't even have time to think about just how bad a time machine mishap could be before the world around them melted into something like a scene from a nightmare. Nightmarish capsule machines filled with people crying for help, time and space out of place, and worst of all The Master himself call came together to make for a truly terrifying experience. If he hadn't experienced things like this before in his time with the rest of the heroes, Eric might have tried to run away from this horrible nightmare. The fact that he knew it was all real would have made his reaction much worse if he hadn't already found the conviction to take down The Master the fateful day of the Disappearance.

Without thinking, he instinctively morphed into his vine form. As always, Simon kept a cool head and even managed to hack open one of those pods before the brutal combat would begin. The Master's truly intimidating presence unfortunately kept the man Simon was talking to - Daryll, was it? - ready to attack the heroes. As that fact became evident on his face, Mandragora attempted to sweep out his knees and then readied his resin to bind the man. Maybe once the Master was dealt with, they could better reason with him.

Show

Standard: Trip attempt against Shamus as long as he's vulnerable. Attack: (1d20+11)[21]; Atheltics: (1d20+21)[38]. Eric has Improved Trip, but since I have no idea what his capabilities are, let's have him oppose with... Atheltics?

Extra Effort Standard: Binding Resin on Shamus. If he is tripped, Power Attack at -5. Attack: (1d20+11)[14]. On a hit, DC 26 Prowess vs. progressive impaired/disabled/paralyzed.

Start of next turn: Fatigued.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"YOU! AGAIN? I have dealt with you once, and we sure don't know how to quit do you? I had you beat in our last will contest!"

Leviath had nothing to fear here. Time travel mechanics were weird enough, but The Master knew there was a risk that killing him might make himself die aswell. A chance, that however low, he knew the Master would never risk. He could understand why. This version of him was from the future. He was already sure of his victory, for his very existence was the ultimate proof of that. Why take the risk of losing when you already won?

But now, they weren't in The Master's future. This was his present. In here, he could be defeated by more mundane means. Open the pods huh. Well, Leviath's whole schtick WAS indeed bringing more powerful allies into the fray

He moves to the closest pod and puts his hand in it.

More importantly, he tries to remove every doubt from his mind. Indeed, he had defaeted the Master in their last contest of wills, but that time, they weren't actually in existence at the same time. The Master was just a phantom in his mind then, a part of the link. Here he was, in the flesh.

"Yes. He's me. However bad he is, at least that compliment, must be owed. My ideals twisted and corrupted. The same side of the same coin, just seen from a different light"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Round 1 (PC results and ally turn)

Josh raced through the summoners and their minions, hammering away. Shamus, distracted by his feat of summoning, took a hard punch to the chest, knocking the wind out of him, and one of his guardians got a hasted punch to the face, rattling it, though the other three phased to partial incorporeality, avoiding the blows. The Recruiter's Diamond Champion...just kinda stood there, completely ignoring the attack. The Recruiter's forcefield turned the attacks aside as well, while the Master just caught Josh's blows against his open palm with casual ease. The Iron Dreadnought matched speed with skill, a blurring fast series of parries that even Josh couldn't find a route through.

Summit conjured up his earthen ramparts to try to trap the summoners and their minions. Unfortunately, most of them managed to clear the area before the barrier was fully formed, although the guardian that Josh had hit reacted too slow, and was caught in the trap.

Mandragora knocked Shamus to the ground, and was quick to apply his binding resin, but the spirit shaman managed get an arm in the way. The resin caked on, but didn't really bind him to anything.

Judy looked...flipping terrified, frankly, as she beheld the situation. But with little to do for it, she pulled out her own enchanted pistol and fired on the Recruiter.

Wulther...I mean, look, Wulther might not have exactly known what all was going on, but he knew this much: his daughter was in danger. That was plenty. The Perallan king charged to the attack, coming up against the hostiles with a rapid barrage of fluid strikes, a resounding assault of such power and fury as to allow a lone king to crush an entire enemy army! He sprung back then, getting some distance in preparation for his next charge...

Simon and Gestalt freed Tara and another captive, but as Simon made his proposal, the Master just gave Shamus a look, one eyebrow raised.

"Take him down?" Darryll asked in disbelief. "Your group beat him? Are you insane? Your group managed - barely - to overcome his summons after they had been weakened by the unsummoning process! And even that would not have saved you if you hadn't sundered the entire timeline! And stronger now? Please! You are at the weakest that I have ever seen you, and you have never once even come close to beating him!"

*BOOOOOOMMMM!* The heavy metal door securing the hangar came crashing down like a poorly-secured chain-link fence. Outside, through the dust and the glare, one could see a huge, hulking quadrupedal form with three humanoid figures perched atop its back, and another standing on each side of it. Beyond them, a horde of hulking knights came charging towards the breached doorway.

"And yet, we keep coming back for more," Josh Miles - attired in the same red suit that he had been wearing in Josh's Jenny-granted vision, though not blood-splattered as it had been before - pointed out with an insouciant grin.

"Cyrus, keep the exit clear. I've got the summoners!" Josh directed, racing ahead.

The burning pools of crimson that were Flashpoint's molten eyes narrowed, and though he did indeed blur to engage the approaching knights in a flurry of flaming fists, he shouted over his shoulder, "Don't go trying to give me orders, Miles! I've been this good a lot longer than you have!"

"Cyrus, please!" Josh countered as he charged the summoners and their minions, just a cloud of crimson whirling around them, raining down blow after lightning blow before coming to a brief halt between them and the pods (and, resultantly, Simon, Gestalt, Tara, and his past self), that infuriating grin still steady on his face. He spoke to Flashpoint, but his regard was entirely on the summoners as he said, "You have never been this good!"

Makhana charged forward, and the figures on her back became clear. Sheema stood tall on the dire rhino's shoulders, the indestructible Galadhil held firmly in her hands. And flanking her...

You might have had to see it to believe it, but William and Jenny Cade were standing behind Sheema, the former looking like he had been putting some serious effort into bulking up, carrying a gleaming sword and sporting a nasty-looking scar running down his left cheek. Jenny was dressed all in desert camo, and toting a sniper rifle almost as long as she was tall - which she immediately began laying down suppressive fire with. Well...sort of, anyway. She took a pot shot for one of the spirit guardians, but she didn't lay down a constant stream of bullets. More, she seemed to fire at an enemy every time it was about to move.

Makhana barrelled past the group in a full charge, lunging with her horn at the Diamond Champion as at the same moment Sheema lashed out with Galadhil, the full force of Makhana's charge behind both blows. William darted forward, springing past the Champion to strike at the Recruiter with his blade, focusing his power to attempt to sunder that of the summoner with his blow, before springing back atop the rhino.

Makhana raised a hoof as if to deliver a powerful stomp, but Sheema said, "Ma! We've got a job here!"

Spoiler: Sheema
    Show
    ...Not that it isn't a fitting nickname, but uh...do you ever actually call Makhana "Ma"?

The Matriarch of the Rhino's gave a somewhat annoyed snort, but did step back to plant herself soldily between the bulk of the group and the summoners, like a solid wall of grit and muscle. "Okay! Everybody aboard either my Makhana or yours, we are getting out of here before his entire army arrives!" Sheema said cheerily, but with command. "...Hi, Dad," she added.

Spoiler: Insight DC 20, Sheema gets a +5 circumstance bonus, Makhana a +2
    Show
    She sounded...kinda wistful with those last couple of words, and there was a hint of tears in her eyes.

And then there was Tara. Now, Darryll clearly didn't think defeating the Master was a possibility, but you know what? Tara had dedicated her life to destroying the entire island of Paradisia. Vengeance was basically her entire schtick. Darryll had thought that was a bad idea too. It hadn't stopped her.

Of course, she had just been freed from a pod that had actively drained her Spiritual Energy. The other Dreamer that Gestalt had freed barely seemed able to keep his feet. Tara would be a powerful ally to have, certainly, but nobody could possibly expect her to be immediately combat-ready after such a harrowing ordeal.

...On the flip side, Earl Winters himself hadn't expected Tara to develop Dreamer powers at all. And yet she not only did, but she became one of the most powerful Dreamers in the world.

Tara Ellens had never really much cared for expectations.

She laid a hand on Gestalt, and power suddenly surged up within him, unlike anything he had ever felt before. Enough raw power to perhaps, just perhaps, close the gap between he and his future self.

And then the augmenter rushed the Master, lunging for the mightiest summoner on the planet with both hands outstretched and blazing with emerald light, as she invoked one of her persistent rituals to give her the power to rend her enemy not just limb from limb, but atom from atom!

Spoiler
    Show
    But like seriously, I hope you guys didn't actually think I was expecting you to fight a PL 18 and two PL 14s and also by the way they're all summoners. I mean I know I'm evil but come on!

For those who haven't been in this sort of situation before, please note that your characters' future selves have had their share of differing experiences, and in this timeline in particular they have been through some stuff. So don't be too surprised if they might do things that your characters as you are currently playing them wouldn't. They may have had a similar starting point but they're functionally different characters.

And no they're not all here yet. That does not mean you won't meet them this episode. I have Plans!

That being said, in this particular timeline, your fates are bound. Any time you spend a Hero Point or Luck Reroll, your future self gains one! Gestalt, in your case, any time you spend a Hero Point, Future Gestalt suffers some manner of Complication.

The summoners themselves have a Fiat advantage against NPCs! Each one may reroll one resistance check per round. Future Gestalt may reroll two, except in rounds where Gestalt spends a Hero Point. The summons don't receive this benefit, and it only applies against NPCs; they don't get free rerolls against you guys.

Judy:
    Move: Nope.
    Standard: Attack the Recruiter with Enchanted Pistol at (1d20+12)[25]. On a hit, Toughness ((1d20+14)[25]) DC 27+Multiattack vs. Damage. Hit. Bruised.

Wulther:
    Move: Use Totemic Athleticism to get into the fray.
    Standard: Attack with Crush the Army. On a hit, Toughness DC 25+Multiattack vs. Damage.
    The Master: (1d20+10)[12]. Toughness: (1d20+18)[21]. Miss
    Iron Dreadnought: Impervious.
    The Recruiter: (1d20+10)[11]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[26]. Miss
    Diamond Champion: Impervious.
    Shamus (+5 for Prone): (1d20+15)[20]. Toughness (-1 for Bruise): (1d20+13)[14]. Bruised and Staggered
    Spirit Guardian 1: (1d20+10)[27]. Toughness: (1d20+12)[18]. Hit. No Multiattack due to Evasion 2. Bruised and Dazed.
    Spirit Guardian 3: (1d20+10)[30]. Toughness: (1d20+12)[13]. CRIT! No Multiattack due to Evasion 2 but still BANISHED!
    Spirit Guardian 4: (1d20+10)[21]. Toughness: (1d20+12)[27]. Miss

Future Flashpoint:
    Move: Into Close range of the approaching twenty Iron Knight Minions.
    Standard: Burning Wake with Hasted Defense. Dodge DC 25 for half, Toughness DC 30/22 vs. Secondary Effect Damage.
    Knight 1: Dodge: (1d20+10)[27]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[18]. BANISHED!
    Knight 2: Dodge: (1d20+10)[13]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[20]. BANISHED!
    Knight 3: Dodge: (1d20+10)[22]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[18]. BANISHED!
    Knight 4: Dodge: (1d20+10)[28]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[25].
    Knight 5: Dodge: (1d20+10)[30]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[34].
    Knight 6: Dodge: (1d20+10)[27]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[32].
    Knight 7: Dodge: (1d20+10)[17]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[25]. BANISHED!
    Knight 8: Dodge: (1d20+10)[30]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[15]. BANISHED!
    Knight 9: Dodge: (1d20+10)[26]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[26].
    Knight 10: Dodge: (1d20+10)[22]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[31].
    Knight 11: Dodge: (1d20+10)[25]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[27].
    Knight 12: Dodge: (1d20+10)[18]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[33].
    Knight 13: Dodge: (1d20+10)[23]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[19]. BANISHED!
    Knight 14: Dodge: (1d20+10)[15]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[27]. BANISHED!
    Knight 15: Dodge: (1d20+10)[16]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[30].
    Knight 16: Dodge: (1d20+10)[17]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[17]. BANISHED!
    Knight 17: Dodge: (1d20+10)[30]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[24].
    Knight 18: Dodge: (1d20+10)[18]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[25]. BANISHED!
    Knight 19: Dodge: (1d20+10)[24]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[20]. BANISHED!
    Knight 20: Dodge: (1d20+10)[12]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[27]. BANISHED!

Future Josh:
    Move: To the summoners and stuff.
    Free: Reconfigure Super-Speed to 20 points of Everywhere (Area 1, Selective) and 20 points of Impossible Dodge (Perception Immunity).
    Standard: Attack with Flurry of Blows, Power Attacking for 5. On a hit, Toughness DC 30+Multiattack vs. Damage.
    The Master: (1d20+15)[20]. Toughness: (1d20+18)[36]. Miss
    Iron Dreadnought: (1d20+15)[26]. Toughness: (1d20+20)[32]. Resists
    The Recruiter: (1d20+15)[24]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[24]. Bruised and Dazed
    Diamond Champion: Impervious.
    Shamus (+5 for Prone): (1d20+20)[32]. Toughness (-1 for Bruise): (1d20+13)[18]. Rerolled
    Spirit Guardian 1: (1d20+15)[17]. Toughness: (1d20+12)[16]. Miss
    Spirit Guardian 3: (1d20+15)[16]. Toughness: (1d20+12)[28].
    Spirit Guardian 4: (1d20+15)[31]. Toughness: (1d20+12)[21]. Bruised and Staggered
    Free: Swap to Wicked Insults.
    Move-by Action: A bit past the summoners, so he's between them and Simon/Gestalt/Josh/etc.
    Extra Effort - Additional Standard Action: Wicked Insults, Power Attacking for 5. On a hit vs. Will, Will DC 25 vs. Weaken Offensive Traits, Limited to targeting purposes. Due to the Features on this attack, any penalties it inflicts upon a target also apply to any summoned or mind-controlled creatures under their command!
    The Master: (1d20+15)[30]. Will: (1d20+18)[27]. Resists
    Iron Dreadnought: (1d20+15)[29]. Will: (1d20+20)[40]. Hard nope
    The Recruiter: (1d20+15)[16]. Will: (1d20+14)[33]. Miss
    Diamond Champion: (1d20+15)[30]. Will: (1d20+12)[20]. -5 PP for targeting
    Shamus: (1d20+15)[17]. Will: (1d20+14)[28]. Resists
    Spirit Guardian 1: (1d20+15)[33]. Will: (1d20+12)[21]. -4 PP for targeting
    Spirit Guardian 3: (1d20+15)[20]. Will: (1d20+12)[23].
    Spirit Guardian 4: (1d20+15)[30]. Will: (1d20+12)[18]. -7 PP for targeting

Future Makhana:
    Move: Well...
    Standard: Charge, activating Rhino Charge, and attack the Iron Dreadnought with Horn Skewer as a Team Attack with Sheema, at (1d20+13)[17] (+5 for contribution purposes if it misses baseline). On a hit, Defense ((1d20+16)[36]) DC 30+Team Attack vs. Damage, Fortitude ((1d20+18)[21]) DC 25+Team Attack vs. Dazed+Impaired/Stunned+Disabled, Toughness ((1d20+20)[34]) DC 25+Team Attack vs. Secondary Effect Weaken Toughness. Miss
    Free: Swap to Wall of Grit.
    Extra Effort - Additional Standard Action: Wall of Grit, attacking the Iron Dreadnought at (1d20+15)[26]. On a hit, Toughness ((1d20+20)[32]) vs. Damage. Makhana is Deflected at 1d10+22 for the next two turns, her Toughness becomes Impervious, and she blocks line of effect to enemies. In addition, since Rhino Charge is still active, she gets half immunity to Kinetic and Energy this round. Hit. Resists.

Future Sheema:
    Move: All good.
    Standard: Attack the Iron Dreadnought with Legendary Charge as a Team Attack with Makhana, at (1d20+25)[29]. If she hits by two degrees but Makhana misses, its defense rolls above still apply, but are instead against DC 25 Damage, DC 20 Dazed+Impaired+Vulnerable/Stunned+Disabled+Defenseless, and well it's Impervious to her Weaken portion. Hit, but it resists

Jenny:
    Move: Nah.
    Standard: Attack whichever Spirit Guardian is most injured but still up at this point with Oracular Suppression, Power Attacking for 3, at (1d20+11)[14]. On a hit, Toughness ((1d20+12)[28]) DC 26 vs. Damage. Jenny, William, Future Sheema, Future Makhana, Sheema, Summit, Wulther, and Mandragora are Deflected at 1d10+26, reduced by 1 per point their Toughness exceeds 11. Miss

William:
    Move: Use Dreamer Parkour to spring past the Dreadnought and close with the Recruiter.
    Standard: Attack the Recruiter with Power Rend, Power Attacking for 3, at (1d20+11)[17]. On a hit, Toughness ((1d20+14)[21]) DC 26 vs. Damage, Fortitude ((1d20+14)[30]) DC 21 vs. Cumulative, Progressive, Secondary Effect Powers Entranced/Stunned/Transformed. Miss
    Move-by Action: Back atop Future Makhana.

Tara:
    Move: Into Close range of Gestalt.
    Standard: Augmentation on Gestalt. However, by Fiat this has an abnormal effect. While the augment lasts Gestalt may now attempt to gain control of all of the Master's summons in a 30' radius area, making a separate opposed check for each. He may roll his PL check twice, taking the best.
    Move-by Action: Into Close range of the Master.
    Extra Effort - Additional Standard Action: Attack the Master with Ritual of the Disintegrating Touch, All Out Attack for 5, Power Attack for 3, at (1d20+16)[18]. On a hit, Toughness ((1d20+18)[20]) DC 27 vs. Progressive Incurable Weaken Toughness. Miss

Enemy turn to come.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-06-28 at 09:10 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Round 1 (Ally Results and Enemy Turn)

Judy's enchanted bullet cracked against the Recruiter's forcefield, sending a wavering ripple through it, but nothing it couldn't take.

The Master, Recruiter, and their summons more-or-less ignored Wulther's assault, but Shamus and his spirit guardians were not so lucky. The Rhino King hammered one of the guardians with a fist right to the face, and literally tore the head from a second one like it was nothing. Shamus himself, on the ground and still recovering from his summoning, he didn't punch or strike like a warrior. He stomped right on his head, hard enough to crack the summoner's skull. Wulther Wildling was not beholden to honorable combat. Not when his daughter was in peril.

Over half the knights that Flashpoint engaged vanished into ectoplasm, and the rest were all burning.

Future Josh's blow caused sparks to burst from the Recruiter's forcefield belt, although it held firm when William struck with his sword, and he might have finished off Shamus then and there if one of his minions hadn't sacrificed itself to hold off the speedster.

But the Master and his Iron Dreadnought stood unharmed amidst the assaults. Even when Future Sheema and Makhana hammered the dreadnought, its armor held. The Master sidestepped Tara's disintegrating lunge trivially.

"Well, I would have preferred a more full-throated declaration of undying loyalty, but I suppose it will do," the Master commented to Darryll as an aside. "But if you want your paramour to live through this little scrap, you will convince her to fight on the correct side."

As if for emphasis, he summoned another minion. The temperature in the room dropped precipitously as the Witch Queen appeared. And just to make sure it is abundantly clear here:

The Iron Dreadnought.

Did.

NOT.

VANISH!

In fact, it lashed out immediately, drawing out a length of silvery chain and whirling it a few times for momentum before attempting to lasso it around Future Makhana, to bind her tight!

The Recruiter also summoned a second minion, this one appearing as a stunningly attractive woman of all pale hues, from her alabaster skin to her pastel clothes to her light blond hair. She was small to the point of wispiness. It would not be unreasonable to say that she looked like she was woven from a dream.

The diamond champion, meanwhile, dealt with the obstacle that Makhana presented in the most expeditious manner, leaping up above her and clapping its hands together, sending a booming shockwave crashing down on those below.

Shamus, having quite the bad day, staggered to his feet. His remaining free guardian fired a blast of spiritual power at Josh, while the trapped one assailed its prison with heavy blows. "Tara, please! I am begging you, stop this!" he cried out, with the wild desperation of someone who knows, who absolutely knows, that their plea will go unheeded, regardless of the cost.

The knights that survived Flashpoint's assault formed a line guarding the exit, preparing to strike at any who tried to pass with ready spears.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Master:
    Standard: Summon Witch Queen.

Iron Dreadnought:
    Standard: Attack Future Makhana with The Shackling Chains of the Hunter, ARTEMIS at (1d20+18)[33], Deflected at (1d10+22)[29]. On a hit, she's Impervious to the Damage after half immunity, Strength ((1d20+16)[31]) DC 28 vs. Grab and Cumulative Physically Dazed+Vulnerable/Physically Stunned+Defenseless/Physically Incapacitated Affliction. The second effect is [Material] rather than [Kinetic] so the half immunity doesn't apply. Hit. Resists.

The Recruiter:
    Move: Dazed.
    Standard: Summon the Champion of Dreams.

Diamond Champion:
    Move: Leap into the air.
    Standard: Diamond Clap. Future Sheema, Future Jenny, Future William, Future Makhana, Judy, Wulther, Mandragora, Sheema, Summit, and Makhana, Dodge DC 22 for half, Toughness DC 27/21 vs. Damage, Athletics or Acrobatics DC (1d20+12)[24] (reduce by 6 if Dodge succeeded) vs. Trip.
    Future Sheema: Dodge: (1d20+18)[36]. Toughness: (1d20+10)[16]. Mobility: (1d20+25)[41]. Bruised
    Future Makhana: Dodge: (1d20+12)[23]. Toughness: Impervious. Strength (Half Immune): (1d20+16)[22]. Resists
    Jenny: Dodge: (1d20+16)[36]. William will Area Interpose. William Toughness: (1d20+12)[32]. William Mobility: (1d20+12)[17]. Jenny crit the Dodge check and William crit the Toughness check. Go little dudes! William's Prone though.
    William: Dodge: (1d20+10)[28]. Toughness: (1d20+12)[30]. Mobility: (1d20+12)[31]. Resists
    Judy: Dodge: (1d20+14)[27]. Toughness: (1d20+12)[20]. Mobility: (1d20+12)[30]. Bruised
    Wulther: Dodge: (1d20+10)[24]. Toughness: (1d20+10)[23]. Strength: (1d20+6)[15]. Prone
    End of Turn: Recover a PP.

Shamus:
    Move: Staggered.
    Standard: Stand up.

Spirit Guardian 1:
    Standard: Spirit Blast on Josh, applying the Weaken to its Limited Enhanced Area. This attack Affects Insubstantial. Dodge DC 22 for half, Toughness DC 27/22 vs. Damage. Josh, these guys are out to kill you dead and powerful enough to do it; you are subject to lethal damage in this fight. Take a Hero Point for the Complication.
    End of Turn: Recovers a PP. Regenerates a Bruise.

Spirit Guardian 2:
    Standard: Attack the Earthen Ramparts with Spirit Strike, Power Attacking for 5, at (1d20+7)[14]. On a hit, Toughness ((1d20+12)[32]) DC 37 after auto-crit vs. an inanimate object vs. Object Damage. Crit resist. Not even a scratch.
    End of Turn: Regenerates a Bruise.

Iron Knight Minions:
    Move: Form a line.
    Standard: Ready action to attack any valid target who tries to move past them with Deler Midor.

More of the Master's forces are approaching. More hostiles will join the battle if you do not escape this round!

All PCs are on turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-06-28 at 11:17 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Woah!" Josh's run was cut short by a bolt of energy through the shoulder, making him tumble over himself and slide over the ground on his back. In the moment of pause, he turned his head to one side, landing an eye on his mighty future self. Once, imagining what atrocities would have to be committed against his person to become Future Josh had mortified him. Now he was looking at the same guy and yet all he saw was himself, but faster and taller. He briefly thought to consider the deeper implic-

Nah, too late, his body was faster than his train of thought and he was running back to the main scrap with one hand covering his open wound. "Hey man," he quietly muttered to his better self as he slid on his knees past the rest of the team. He made a second attempt to wipe out the enemy troops, this time with less concern on his output and more on not getting shot by the Shamus Summon that had just taken a piece out of him while he was incorporeal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move back, Flurry of Blows on all the guys with Power Attack 5 and Defensive Attack 3, and then move about 100 feet away from the conflict.

Shamus (1d20+8)[9] for DC 26+Multiattack Damage.
    Master (1d20+8)[16].
    Recruiter (1d20+8)[28].
    Spirit Guardian 1 (1d20+8)[27].
    Diamond Champion(1d20+8)[17].
    Iron Dreadnought (1d20+8)[21].
    Witch Queen (1d20+8)[23].
    Champion of Dreams (1d20+8)[13].

23. - Top - End - #23

Kobold

Just when it was beginning to look like the heroes stood no chance of defeating the Master, hope arrived in the unexpected form of future selves. Something must have gone VERY differently in their timeline for Flashpoint to be on their side, but Mandragora was glad to see that he was on the right side. On the other hand, the lack of future himself was a grim reminder that, as he had learned before, he had not made it this far in their timeline. For the sake of everyone, this Mandragora would need to be more resilient.

Chaos broke out, but was that really such a bad thing? It is inevitable in a battle like this, and it could work in the heroes' favor. The Diamond Champion's massive shockwave shot through the air and the ground, but, spurred on by the arrival of incredible new allies, Eric stood firm and unflinching. He would keep the summoners down so that the others could finish this once and for all. Even as Shamus stood up, Mandragora lashed his vines at the summoner's legs once again, in an effort to bolster the effectiveness of the others. He knew now that it would be easy to keep Shamus down, especially if all his spirit guardians went down.

Show

Standard: Trip Shamus again. Accurate attacking for 2. (1d20+13)[16]. On a hit, DC (1d20+19)[33] Athletics to avoid being knocked prone.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

"So what you're saying," Simon responded levelly to Daryll, "Is that no matter how many times you've tried, you've never been able to take us off the board."

So. Tara was in the fight. Harrens was wavering. Daniell was not. Both of them were summoning in more forces. Even if Simon's team had more reinforcements on the way, their forces were limited. As long as the summoners were in play, the opponents' force was not. He remembered all too perfectly the veritable army that The Master had 'unsummoned' on Adaros the first time.

The obvious play was to eliminate the summoners before their minions could get too out of control. He was getting a feel for the outrageous power of The Master. They weren't going to beat him into submission while ignoring his lieutenants. Divide and conquer then.

Simon lashed out with a barrage of strikes, once again using his suit to project the energy into the Recruiter. There wasn't any chi involved or even a focus on precise nerve strikes. It was a simple attempt to break the man. And while it was sometimes easy to forget with Simon's fighting style of precise disabling strikes, he was still an expert martial artist with years of experience in the best ways to hurt a man.

"Leviath, keep your summons off of us. Everyone else, take out the Recruiter."

Show

Free: Maintain Kinetics array on Kinentic Mimicry
    Move: Charge Focused Assult
    Standard: Attack the Recruiter with Focused Assault, AoA 2 PA 4. (1d20+10)[22]. Rerolling
    On hit, Toughness vs Damage (DC 27), Weaken [Toughness] (DC 22), Affliction [Vulnerable/Defenseless] (DC 22)

Free: Change Combat Training Array to Tactics Tactics Tactics
    Extra Effort: Aid Josh against the Recruiter. AoA 2 PA 5 applies. Attack Roll (1d20+14)[29]. Aided individuals get a Team Attack at 1d20+14 and Damage Rank 11. Using Benefit to Aid grant as many individuals a +2 bonus on their attack roll as possible, on a first-come-first-serve basis. First 3 PCs + Josh to attack the Recruiter get +2 on the Attack Roll. Josh gets a Team Attack (See OOC)
    Last edited by Dorni; 2018-07-01 at 11:59 AM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

There was a lot for Sheema to take in. She didn't understand what was happening, despite that the time travelers apparently do. Being left out cold like this was becoming a serious problem; now her father was even involved!

On the bright side, her father was involved. She learned a lot from him on how to fight as she watched him run up and SMASH that diamond creature apart. "Yeah! Go dad!" she cried out like a child cheering on her parent in a competition. She couldn't help it! She loved watching her dad fight and compete back in Rivinas; there was nothing she enjoyed more than watching a person she admired delivering a beatdown to their foes. Sheema's excitement came in contrast to Makhana who simply gave a respectful nod to Wulther. Even resigned as ruler, Wulther possessed a strength and skill with the dire rhino respected.

And then... the reinforcements came.

"...Ma?" Of all things Sheema would be surprised about, it's what her other self had just said; never mind that her other self is actually here and in front of her. The other Sheema looks... older; longer hair, a high-tech kevlar suit, no weapons besides Galadhil, and she's even wearing the cloak of the Rivinas guard! The cloak was adorned by the elite guards of the city-state; a dark-green hardened cloth with the symbol of a raging river designed in with silver, draped behind and over the right shoulder. The other Sheema, however, has her cloak tattered and scared around the end, as if it had seen many battles and worn over the years. In contrast, the other Makhana looks... exactly like Makhana. Immortality really doesn't wear her down, does it?

It's hard to describe what's going through Sheema's mind. Here is another version of herself, riding on another Makhana, and both presumably know more about what's going on. Heck, they're working with that Flashpoint guy; what's with that? Sheema has so many questions... But those can wait. Right now they're kinda in the middle of a warzone here.

"Uh, run?" the actual Sheema asks rhetorically. A quick look around gave the impression that no one was really heeding her advice. "I think everyone else has something different in mind." The actual Sheema leaps up on the actual Makhana as the former gives her other self a smile. "Can't be shown up by you, after all!" she says playfully. "C'mon Dad! Makhana! Let's go show them how Perallans fight!"

Following Simon's suggestions, Makhana gives off a growling rhino roar before charging at the Recruiter. In an astounding display of cooperation, Sheema brings her spear out first to mark and disorient the Recruiter as if she was jousting him, just before Makhana crashes into the villainous lot with her massive horn and body! Sheema jumps off her rhino right after, trapping the Recruiter in a pincer attack as the two unleash a flurry of stabs and horn strikes!

Show
    Alright, since I delayed my action last round, let's get some attacks out!

Sheema and Makhana are both moving to the Recruiter. Sheema will use Mark Prey on him, Power Attack +2/-2. DC 20 Will vs Impaired/Vulnerable + Disabled/Defenseless on hit: (1d20+12)[21]

Makhana will use Wild Charge to hit as many enemies as she can with her area attack. DC 26 (I think?) Toughness for all hit.

Sheema will switch over to Frenzied Fighter and attack The Recruiter with Galadhil;. +5/-5 Power Attack. Makhana will Team Attack with Sheema, getting the +5 circumstance boost due to Teamwork. DC 28+Multiattack+Team Attack on hit:
    Attack roll: (1d20+9)[14]
    Team Attack roll: (1d20+13)[29]
    Last edited by Starsign; 2018-07-01 at 11:27 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Gestalt closes his eyes and brings up the images of the originals...

Bruja. She was a surrogate parental figure. His parents were good, but he had Dreamed early, and his unpowered parents couldn't quite understand it all. The wonder of powers, the feeling of discovering how to manipulate spiritual energy. The strictness of one who expected great things of you. Magic and Ice.

Craftiezel, his knight. His greatest shield, to the point it had gained sentience. A summon that came to when he first saw himself in the middle of a crisis in the ACC. He represented a Hero. Indomitable will, stoic attitude and the mettle to jump into the fray. Stalwart and always ready to help. METAL

He reaches through the link. Usually he preffered to command. But if it was like this, he wouldn't be above some direct enforcing of his will

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Place himself so he can stare at the Master in the eyes
    Standard: Attempts to take control of Summons. Straight PL, rolled twice for each right?
    Iron Dreadnought control
    (1d20+11)[16]
    (1d20+11)[24]

Witch Queen control
    (1d20+11)[21]
    (1d20+11)[22]
    Last edited by DukeGod; 2018-07-07 at 11:05 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Chaos. Complete chaos.

The fact that both sides were apparently using time travel to their benefit only added to the sheer chaos of the battle that was about to unfold, with the Master and his cronies adding to it all with their constant summons. If they were going to win this, the flow of powerful reinforcements would have to be halted: even the current summons of the villains were beginning to strain them somewhat. As such, heading directly for the source seemed like the most sensible way to approach this battle.

Making his way through the developing battle, Summit was blasted by the shockwave of diamond champion's clap, his earthen armor cracking slightly and causing him to grunt out loud. Hardly down from such, however, he sent himself blasting forward on wave of earth, aiming for the Recruiter. His friend seemed like she could use the assistance, after all.

"Do you mind if I join in on these festivities, your highnesses?" he asked Sheema and Makhana with a rumbling chuckle, a pillar of rock and dust erupting from the floor in attempt to smash into Recruiter while he was still busy with the two other assailants.

Show
    Switching to Earth my Guardian and Ram. Moving over to the Recruiter to hit him with Ram.

(1d20+10)[24] (To hit)(Damage 12 Linked Affliction 12 (Dazed+Vulnerable/Stunned+Defenseless; Fortitude; Secondary Effect, Extra Condition, Limited Degree))

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Round 2 (PC Results and Ally Turn)

Josh came in hard, but the summoners and their minions were quick and sure on the defense. A blow meant for the Recruiter was absorbed harmlessly by the Diamond Champion. One of the Spirit Guardians got a big ol' dent in its semi-corporeal chest from his assault though!

Future Josh returned his past self's greeting with a casual upnod. "How you been?" he answered. Given he was you from the future, it was hard to say if that was supposed to be a joke or not.

Shamus, more on the ball now that he had recovered from his mass-summoning, conjured up a quick swirl of wind to carry him up over Mandragora's tripping vines.

The deflector field provided by the Recruiter's forcefield belt turned Simon's attacks aside. Shamus answered him with a deadpan, "Well...you run away a lot."

The Recruiter's forcefield deflected Sheema's spear and Makhana's shockwave (which also rolled harmlessly over the Diamond Champion and Iron Dreadnought). When the two of them rushed in together, though, the Dreadnought leaped in the way. Spear and horn crashed down on the knight in fierce tandem - and didn't so much as scratch his mighty armor.

Gestalt focused his will and his augmented power on the Master's summons. The Ice Queen didn't waver, but the fierce loyalty of Craftiezel still slumbered in the Dreadnought, and the sudden conflict left the giant knight, at least for the moment, distracted.

Summit unloaded his pulverizing ram upon the Recruiter, and it punched straight through his forcefield, but at the last moment the Spirit Guardian that Josh had injured body-checked him out of the way, taking the hit in his stead and immediately vanishing to ectoplasm.

"Uh, yeah, great work, guys," Future Josh said encouragingly as he made a quick attack against the Recruiter, not really pressing the offense; he set into a defensive posture, ready to move to intercept any attack that was made against nearby allies (for a Joshian definition of "nearby"), and he wasn't insincere about it but... "But thing is, we already won this fight ten years ago. This whole timeline's going to be different soon, so aside from being great stress-relief, punching these guys in the face doesn't really earn us anything. On the other hand, you're all from a timeline that's still trucking along just fine. If he kills any of you here, that actually sticks. Keeping this battle going is exactly what he wants!"

The speedster looked at Simon. "You're the one who taught me how to choose my battles, man. And you don't fight battles where you have more to lose than you have to gain, right?"

"So, again, all aboard the rhinos, please!" Future Sheema requested, and while her voice was still lighthearted, there was definitely more insistence in it this time. She didn't stop fighting either, though - that would just be silly - springing down from Makhana to attack Shamus with utterly perfect skill, a fluid combination attack that left no valid route to dodge and would outmaneuver even the fastest block.

Future Makhana made a low, vaguely annoyed whuffling sound (although honestly it was tough to say if she was more annoyed about the whole "running away" part or about the fact that the time-displaced heroes hadn't immediately gotten on board with it) and charged the Recruiter, head lowered, fully intending to impale him on her horn. Worse still, Wulther flipped onto his stomach...and came down on all fours, the former Perallan king suddenly a third rhinoceros. He charged in at the Recruiter alongside Future Makhana, his own horn outstretched.

Jenny helped William to his feet, and he followed up on Makhana's attack, coming in hard with his sword. Knocking the Recruiter out would keep him from summoning more creatures, but wouldn't negate his existing summons. However, William's power-rending blows could potentially do just that, severing the connection between the summoner's Spiritual Energy and the summons it fueled. His sister provided supportive fire, scanning instants into the future to take her shot at the best possible time to help her brother overcome the Recruiter's forcefield.

Judy vanished from her position, teleporting atop Makhana (past version; she was a bit leery about teleporting on the Makhana that she "didn't know"), but she didn't refrain from taking a pot shot with her pistol at Shamus (the Recruiter looked like he was well in hand).

Flashpoint, meanwhile, started running in a circle behind the knights guarding the door. A tremendous, flaming whirlwind was quickly spun into being by the incredible friction and air pressure generated by the speedster's passage, pulling the knights in to consume them. "Any time, people!" he shouted.

"NO!" Tara yelled back. "No! It doesn't matter if this timeline is changing! Until it does, what happened here is real! What he did is real! I can teleport everyone here to safety at need, so there is no point in fleeing until we must!
    THERE IS NO POINT IN LETTING HIM LIVE TO SEE THE TIMELINE CHANGE!"
    Tara's eyes blazed with brilliant white radiance, an almost blinding aura flared up around her, and with a snap of her fingers, everybody on the field who stood opposed to the Master and his forces would feel a surge of utter strength and almost blissful euphoria as their Spiritual Energy was directly and massively augmented by the font of pure power that was Tara Ellens.

Spoiler
    Show
    Future Josh:
    Free: Configure Super Speed, putting Area 2 and Selective on the Deflect of Defensive Attack and sticking with Speed 10 for drill.
    Move: Sure, he's Josh.
    Standard: Attack the Recruiter with Defensive Attack, Power Attacking for 5, at (1d20+15)[33]. On a hit, Toughness ((1d20+12)[21]) DC 30 vs. Damage. All good guys except Flashpoint are Deflected at 1d10+30, -1 per point of Toughness above 10. Hit. Bruised and Dazed.
    Move-by Action: Whatever works man.

Future Sheema:
    Move: Into Close range of Shamus.
    Standard: Legendary Strike on Shamus. Toughness ((1d20+12)[19]) DC 30 vs. Damage, Will ((1d20+14)[27]) DC 25 vs. Vulnerable/Defenseless. Uses his free reroll for the turn rerolling Toughness. Resisted.
    Move-by Action: Back atop Future Makhana.

Future Makhana:
    Move: Solid meh.
    Standard: Charge the Recruiter, activating Rhino Charge, and attack with Impale, at (1d20+15)[31]. On a hit, Toughness ((1d20+12)[23]) DC 30 vs. Damage, Dodge ((1d20+14)[15]) DC 25 vs. Grab. If Grabbed, Toughness ((1d20+14)[21]) DC 25 vs. Progressive (While Grab Maintained) Weaken All Defenses. Hit. +2 Team Attack from Wulther. Still just Bruised and Dazed. Uses his free reroll on the Grab because Bound is bad. Resisted. Weaken doesn't apply. Forgot the charge penalty so call it AoA for 2.

Wulther:
    Free: Swap to Rhino Form.
    Free: Instant Up (rolled offline).
    Move: More meh.
    Standard: Charge the Recruiter, activating Rhino Charge, and attack with Impale as a Team Attack with Makhana at (1d20+15)[24]. On a hit, Makhana gets +2 to the Damage and Grab DCs. On a hit by three degrees, this becomes +5. If Recruiter is Grabbed, he also has to roll Fortitude ((1d20+14)[32]) DC 20 vs. Secondary Effect Weaken Toughness, Progressive while Grab is maintained. +2. Forgot the charge penalty so call it AoA for 2.

Jenny:
    Move: Help William up.
    Standard: Aid William's next attack with Predictive Fire at (1d20+19)[28]. William is also Deflected at 1d10+20 for the next two turns.
    Reaction: Team Attack with the Affliction portion of William's next attack at (1d20+19)[38]. +5 to both

William:
    Move: Into Close range of the Recruiter.
    Standard: Attack the Recruiter with Power Rend, Power Attacking for 5, at (1d20+9)[22]+Aid. On a hit, Toughness ((1d20+12)[22]) DC 28 vs. Damage, Fortitude ((1d20+14)[22]) DC 23+Team Attack vs. Cumulative, Progressive, Secondary Effect Powers Entranced/Stunned/Transformed. Hit thanks to Aid. Bruised and Dazed. Powers Stunned. Recruiter uses regular Fiat at end of ally turn to remove Stunned. Party gets a floating Hero Point.

Judy:
    Move: Teleport onto Makhana with Blink Boots.
    Standard: Attack Shamus with Enchanted Pistol at (1d20+12)[32]. On a hit, Toughness ((1d20+12)[26]) DC 27+Multiattack vs. Damage. CRIT! +2 Multiattack. Bruised and Dazed.

Flashpoint:
    Move: Sure.
    Standard: Friction Cyclone. The remaining minion knights get Dodge DC 25 for half, Toughness DC 30/22 vs. Concentration Damage, Strength or Dodge DC 25/17 vs. Grab.
    Dodge: (1d20+10)[18]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[33]. Dodge: (1d20+10)[24].
    Dodge: (1d20+10)[15]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[24]. Dodge: (1d20+10)[11].
    Dodge: (1d20+10)[28]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[32]. Dodge: (1d20+10)[29].
    Dodge: (1d20+10)[26]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[17]. Dodge: (1d20+10)[23].
    Dodge: (1d20+10)[25]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[21]. Dodge: (1d20+10)[21].
    Dodge: (1d20+10)[13]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[28]. Dodge: (1d20+10)[13].
    Dodge: (1d20+10)[28]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[18]. Dodge: (1d20+10)[14].
    Dodge: (1d20+10)[15]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[27]. Dodge: (1d20+10)[11].
    Dodge: (1d20+10)[23]. Toughness: (1d20+14)[25]. Dodge: (1d20+10)[24].
    End of Turn: Secondary Effect triggers.
    (1d20+14)[16].
    (1d20+14)[32].
    (1d20+14)[27].
    (1d20+14)[30].
    (1d20+14)[19].
    (1d20+14)[25].
    (1d20+14)[24].
    (1d20+14)[24].
    (1d20+14)[15].
    ...One survives! It even escapes the Grab!

Tara:
    Move: Whatever.
    Standard: Note to any NoS players reading along:

FIGHT. TARA. ALONE!

INSPIRE 5! The enemy side gets a bonus use of GM Fiat.

Enemy turn to come.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-07-11 at 11:36 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Round 2 (Ally Results and Enemy Turn)

The Recruiter's forcefield was having a bad day.

Punched by Future Josh. Hit by both Wulther and Future Makhana's charging horns. Shot by Jenny and slashed by William. The belt sparked fiercely, and the forcefield wobbled like an overlarge bubble...but it held, keeping the worst of the assault from the Recruiter.

Shamus wasn't exactly having fun either, but he hardened his skin to stone and withstood Future Sheema and Judy's attacks, although the stoneskin cracked under the impact.

Flashpoint took out...most of the remaining knights. One of them somehow managed to escape the flaming tornado, extinguishing the flames upon it in the doing. It was actually kinda impressive. Unfortunately, there were more where they had come from. Two teams of summons came flying for the hangar; a pair of red wyverns, each ridden by an iron knight and ice witch, with rainbow birds flying along ahead of them.

"Oh, Tara..." the Master said with a disappointed shake of his head.

"Do you still not understand the difference between us? Yes, yes, you are a very strong Dreamer. But you are an augmenter. Yours is the power to make those allies you manage to acquire stronger. While my power," he gestured casually in example, summoning a huge, ancient wyvern onto the field, controlling all three summons together like it was nothing. "My power provides me with all the allies I could ever need."

"That's what it comes down, Tara. What I have is power. Real power. You merely have energy. You barely managed to complete the first step of your plan before everything fell apart for you. I have conquered all of Ilessia. I am the most powerful Dreamer on Aranth, and you?"

"You are the most powerful battery!"

Down to just one (trapped) guardian, Shamus dismissed it to better focus on spellcasting. "Tara, please! I beg you, see reason! You cannot defeat him! He will kill you if you try!"

"Then I suppose you should try to prevent him from doing so, since you cannot convince me to meekly stand down!"

Darryll...started hyperventilating, actually. The problem was, Tara was vulnerable. She had augmented every ally she had on the field, but she could not simultaneously augment herself. She was a choice target, and worth taking off the field.

With a cry of frustration, Darryll dismissed his remaining summon to focus on spellcasting, summoning the winds to try to teleport Tara to safety - if such a thing could possibly be said to exist.

"Well, I was going to give you another summon, but I suppose that's no longer an applicable tactical priority," the Recruiter muttered in annoyance, before laying a hand on the Iron Dreadnought. Normally, trying to summon off of a summon was ludicrous even for the Recruiter, but the Master's personal summons were so powerful...

Another Iron Knight popped onto the field. It wasn't exactly making full use of the versatility at his command, but it was better than firing his pistol.

"The way your power works really is quite stupid," the Master told him. He said it with a straight face and without irony.

The Diamond Champion and the Iron Dreadnought teamed up against Future Josh, the two enormous brutes coming at the speedster hard, the Diamond Champion striking with rending claws in an effort to distract him from the hewing blade of the Dreadnought.

The Champion of Dreams didn't seem to do anything. Nope. Nothing at all. Nothing changed in the slightest.

The Ice Queen flicked her hands through the precise gestures of a spell, before waving one hand in a sweeping gesture at all before her. "Tormenta Gélida!" she invoked, sending a bitter wave of cold whipping through the heroes, draining the heat from their bodies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Two Iron Knights, Ice Witches, Red Wyverns, and Rainbow Birds arrive this turn, and will act next round. They are not Minions. More will continue to arrive as the battle goes on!

The Master:
    Move: Meh.
    Standard: Summon an Ancient Wyvern.
    Extra Effort - Additional Standard Action: Use Caped Hero Megalomaniacal Villain! Inspire! 5! (This is seriously the most nonsense battle I have ever had the pleasure to run.)

Shamus:
    Move: Staggered.
    Standard: Begin casting a spell.

Wind Wisk: Teleport 14 (Attack (Will), Perception Range, Secondary Effect).

Extra Effort - Additional Standard Action: Wind Wisk on Tara. Will ((1d20+14)[27]) DC 24 or be teleported 60 miles away. VENGEANCE OR DEATH!

The Recruiter:
    Standard: Bestow a summon on the Iron Dreadnought, summoning an Iron Knight.

Diamond Champion:
    Move: Into Close range of Future Josh.
    Standard: Aid the Iron Dreadnought's attack at (1d20+17)[26]. Should have been four lower. Still +5
    End of turn: Recovers 1 PP.

Iron Dreadnought:
    Move: Into Close range of Future Josh.
    Reaction: Attack Future Josh with The Moment Before a Master Strikes, All Out Attack for 5, Power Attack for 3, at (1d20+25)[29]+Aid, Deflected at (1d10+35)[38]. On a hit, Will ((1d20+20)[36]) DC 31 or be Vulnerable/Defenseless against the next attack. Deflected
    Standard: Attack Future Josh with Zweihander, still All Out Attack for 5, Power Attack for 3, at (1d20+25)[28], Deflected at (1d10+35)[38]. On a hit, Toughness ((1d20+15)[27]) DC 36 vs. Damage, Fortitude ((1d20+20)[37]) DC 31 vs. Weaken All Defenses. Deflected

Champion of Dreams:
    Standard: Waking Dreams. Everybody give me Dodge DC 22 to negate. If that fails, Will DC 22 vs. Vulnerable/Compelled/Controlled.
    Judy: Dodge: (1d20+19)[30]. Will: (1d20+17)[33]. Negates
    Wulther: Dodge: (1d20+11)[17]. Will: (1d20+15)[19]. Vulnerable
    Future Josh: Dodge: (1d20+30)[44]. Will: (1d20+20)[27]. (Only rolling in case his defenses get weakened above). They didn't. They so didn't.
    Future Sheema: Can't fail.
    Future Makhana: Dodge: (1d20+15)[27]. Will: (1d20+19)[21]. Negates
    Jenny: Can't fail.
    William: Dodge: (1d20+15)[23]. Will: (1d20+15)[34]. Negates
    Flashpoint: Can't fail.
    Tara: Dodge: (1d20+19)[24]. Will: (1d20+14)[20]. Negates

Ice Queen:
    Move: Charge Tormenta Gélida.
    Standard: Tormenta Gélida on the group in front. I think this is long enough to reach Flashpoint too. So...everybody but Simon, Gestalt, and Tara if I remember correctly. (If you guys don't plan to flee this round I'll make an actual map). Dodge DC 28 for half. Fortitude DC 28/19 vs. Cumulative Dazed+Vulnerable/Stunned+Defenseless/Incapacitated. The first conditions of each tier are physical only.
    Judy: Dodge: (1d20+19)[20]. Fortitude: (1d20+17)[34]. Resists
    Wulther: Dodge: (1d20+11)[21]. Fortitude: (1d20+15)[20]. Defenseless and Physically Stunned
    Future Josh: Dodge: (1d20+30)[41]. Fortitude: (1d20+20)[37]. Has successfully humiliated every active summon on the field, having a great day
    Future Sheema: Dodge: (1d20+23)[34]. Fortitude: (1d20+19)[28]. Resists
    Future Makhana: Dodge: (1d20+15)[24]. Fortitude: (1d20+21)[30]. Resists
    Jenny: Dodge: (1d20+24)[25]. Fortitude: (1d20+15)[33]. Resists
    William: Dodge: (1d20+15)[28]. Will: (1d20+17)[23]. Resists
    Flashpoint: Dodge: (1d20+28)[41]. Fortitude: (1d20+20)[35]. Resists

REMEMBER, MORE HOSTILES ARE APPROACHING EVERY ROUND, ON TOP ON ANY SUMMONED IN! YOU ARE LITERALLY IN THE MIDDLE OF A MILITARY BASE THAT HAS BEEN TAKEN OVER BY AN ARMY OF PL 12 TEMPORAL SUMMONS, OF WHICH THE MASTER HAS LITERALLY MILLIONS*! I MAY NOT HAVE MADE THAT CLEAR ENOUGH!

*To be fair, they aren't all at this base. Still probably at least a thousand on hand here.

All PCs are on turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-07-12 at 11:06 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

The might of Tara compelled Josh to level destruction on his foes, but he resisted - carefully he focused his power to dart through the battlefield one more time, making a quick shot on the Recruiter and on Shamus before leaping onto one of the Makhanas.

"Alright, I'm sold," he said, shaking his body off to get rid of some excess energy. "Retreating!"

"Oh! Also, totally already beat Flashpoint," he said to Future-Him. "It's been so good, dude."

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, you leave me with no choice. Moving onto the Makhana closest to the fight, then configuring to the big fat 120-foot Selective Burst attack. Excluding all targets except for Shamus and Recruiter.

Standard Action: Flurry of Blows, Power Attack 5.

Recruiter Attack (1d20+16)[32] for DC 26+Multiattack Damage.
    Shamus Attack (1d20+16)[19] for DC 26+Multiattack Damage.