New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: "He had such good aim, he once hit 3 targets with only 2 arrows!" (ridiculous ski

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Flying skill would let you do that.
    That doesn't exist in 3.5, which is the edition I had assumed you were bothall talking about.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2018-06-30 at 11:20 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: "He had such good aim, he once hit 3 targets with only 2 arrows!" (ridiculous ski

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    That doesn't exist in 3.5, which is the edition I had assumed you were bothall talking about.
    I wasn't talking about any game in particular, just that levitation is not an example of superlative balance any more than composing symphonies is.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    I've tallied up all the points for this thread, and consulted with the debate judges, and the verdict is clear: JoeJ wins the thread.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

To JoeJ: Balance could also be seen as the ability to adjust your stance and center of gravity to stay upright and onto of things. So if you want a skill that scales form something pretty standard to something kind of like flying, I can't think of a better one. I might split into, say, gymnastics and flying if I wanted to cover those things with normal skills. Unless that impossible but sometimes thematically appropriate scaling is what I was going for.

Of course I came into this thread thinking "hey, it looks like this might cover endgame/ridiculous power levels for non-magic users that I was thinking about making" so I might be biased.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I said they should be impossible IRL. You just confirmed that the original example fits that description.
    Yes. That was the point.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Getting so good at sailing to allow effective jumping with a boat would be one of these - hopping right over sandbars, reefs, booms, whatever with a massive galleon, and doing so reliably. Other advanced to the point of ridiculous sailing techniques would be quickly spinning in place, diving under obstacles (e.g. low cave mouths for large underground caves), and tipping the entire boat sideways to 'slide' through small spaces.

The latter of these also works for riding. There's a semi-famous scene in a Bollywood action movie where someone basically does a bunch of the ridiculous action-movie motorcycle tricks, but on a horse, including sliding under a moving semi at some point. The inclusion of the semi is probably inappropriate; everything done on that horse is totally fair game.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    use a high spot check to track an enemy's eye movements to figure out where he's intending to strike next and get an AC bonus.
    This isn't even unrealistic. Watching your opponent's body language includes watching their eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gkathellar View Post
    This isn't even unrealistic. Watching your opponent's body language includes watching their eyes.
    To the point where it's such a basic thing that it should probably show up less as a skill perk and more as AC just sort of going up with level.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Getting so good at sailing to allow effective jumping with a boat would be one of these - hopping right over sandbars, reefs, booms, whatever with a massive galleon, and doing so reliably. Other advanced to the point of ridiculous sailing techniques would be quickly spinning in place, diving under obstacles (e.g. low cave mouths for large underground caves), and tipping the entire boat sideways to 'slide' through small spaces.

The latter of these also works for riding. There's a semi-famous scene in a Bollywood action movie where someone basically does a bunch of the ridiculous action-movie motorcycle tricks, but on a horse, including sliding under a moving semi at some point. The inclusion of the semi is probably inappropriate; everything done on that horse is totally fair game.
    i'll be really impressed when i see somebody do a kickflip with a viking longship. he shall be named bjorn "tony hawk" sickbro, son of hapjulf "dude" half-pipe. famous line of trick-sailors, capable of getting speeding tickets on a highway. while rowing.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    i'll be really impressed when i see somebody do a kickflip with a viking longship. he shall be named bjorn "tony hawk" sickbro, son of hapjulf "dude" half-pipe. famous line of trick-sailors, capable of getting speeding tickets on a highway. while rowing.
    So, jump, spin the boat under you in the air, land*. This sounds entirely reasonable. On the other hand, a wave is basically just a halfpipe made out of water that moves forward**, and it feels like a waste not to take advantage of that. Basically, it's a three part plan:

1. Terraform*** a portion of the elemental plane of water to make a massively oversized skatepark where the concrete is replaced with water. Preferably this is done with the Craft(Landscape Architecture) skill.
    2. Sail to the elemental plane of water, and then to that terraformed*** part, in a viking longship.
    3. Go full Tony Hawk on it.

*According to my research. I don't know skateboard tricks.
    **For certain definitions of the word "basically".
    ***Hydroform?

-- ChubbyRain

10. - Top - End - #40

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    So, jump, spin the boat under you in the air, land*. This sounds entirely reasonable. On the other hand, a wave is basically just a halfpipe made out of water that moves forward**, and it feels like a waste not to take advantage of that. Basically, it's a three part plan:

1. Terraform*** a portion of the elemental plane of water to make a massively oversized skatepark where the concrete is replaced with water. Preferably this is done with the Craft(Landscape Architecture) skill.
    2. Sail to the elemental plane of water, and then to that terraformed*** part, in a viking longship.
    3. Go full Tony Hawk on it.

*According to my research. I don't know skateboard tricks.
    **For certain definitions of the word "basically".
    ***Hydroform?
    indeed, that's right. now, i don't know about "entirely reasonable", since people can barely do that with a surfboard, let alone with a full-sized boat. then again i'm not a sailor.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    use a high spot check to track an enemy's eye movements to figure out where he's intending to strike next and get an AC bonus.
    Problem is, eyes can and do lie. I frequently use eye-fakes, where I'll deliberately look at one part of a opponent and hit them somewhere else entirely. Or even hit a completely different opponent.

Correctly reading that sort of thing is Sense Motive, not a plain Spot. And in fact there are rules for resisting feints with Sense Motive.

One of the local fighters, I've been training and fighting with for years, and he's gotten pretty good, and has fought me so often that he knows my style inside out. But he's recently started biting on all of my eye-fakes like a newbie. The reason? He just got glasses that he can wear under his helm. Fighting without glasses, he was completely immune to eye-fakes, because he couldn't see what my eyes were doing. Now he can, and his experience with interpreting them doesn't match up with his overall experience. Basically, he got better at Spot, and it made him worse at figuring out where I'm intending to strike next.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This whole thread just reminds me of Sir Bearington

https://m.imgur.com/r/gametales/tAV3wHl

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bubzors View Post
    This whole thread just reminds me of Sir Bearington

https://m.imgur.com/r/gametales/tAV3wHl
    I will never not enjoy the Sir Bearington story.