New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 76, page 70

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Fat Man View Post
    On another note, I never understood how killing the A dragons saves Ansom.
    Won't all the B dragons automatically attack Ansom on Stanley's next turn. Is it assumed that Ansom can take care of himself against the B dragons?
    Ansom stated that Ansom + Tarfu + Woodsy elves + Gumps + Jillian + 5 strong gwiffons + Webinar + Dora + Vinnie + Bats + 3 Archons = 43 dwagons + 3 uncroaked warlords an that Stanley would not take those odds.

From the forest units fight against the dwagons we can assume that 21 warlord-less dwagons against Ansom, Vinny, Tarfu and the forest units is also close to even.

Anyway, Ansom was not so much worried about himself or the forest units or even Jillian. His concern was saving the seige units by getting the vulnerable wounded dwagons and uncroaked warlords.

Edit: Ninja'd. Boom! Headshot!
    Last edited by ag30476; 2007-09-06 at 09:34 PM.
    Arena Initiate Referee

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Double post.
    Last edited by Querzis; 2007-09-07 at 12:57 AM.
    In memory of lord Shojo

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Bloddyredcommie View Post
    Check again, it was leeroy, Manpower wasn't half-skull
    Well... thats something interesting. "At least he had chicken" indeed...

Which raises the question, is it possible to Un-croak and already Un-Croaked and Re-Croaked?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Do you think multiple warlord bonuses stack in the case of Ansom, Vinny and Tarfu, or are units in the stack only affected by the highest bonus (ansom proably)

Another question, uncroaked Dwagons, could it happen here?
    Last edited by BRC; 2007-09-06 at 09:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

Looks like there is confusion here again. "The warlord" Parson is talking about is Jillian. He's not talking about killing Ansom, he's trying to salvage the lake battle.

Which means that it *is* possible to take actions when it's not your turn - micromanaging the tactical battles, at least. That is pretty similar to how it works in at least some TBS games. So Parson might still pull it out, though with not enough surviving force to take out Ansom.

Also, Wanda has a reaaally interesting look on her face.
    Last edited by Rollory; 2007-09-06 at 09:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Thanks Steve MB, Drakon and Justyn for the info. Just watched the video again, I had never watched it all the way to the end.

On another note, I never understood how killing the A dragons saves Ansom.
    Won't all the B dragons automatically attack Ansom on Stanley's next turn. Is it assumed that Ansom can take care of himself against the B dragons?
    The B dragons WON'T AUTO-ATTACK! They're not in the same hex. We know that you can travel next to enemy hexes and not attack or be attacked. Heck we know that you can be next to an enemy hex and not know if the enemy is there are not.

The B dragons can be ordered to attack, and Parson can order them whether they have a warlord or not, but without a warlord against Ansom's entire largely unhurt forest stack their odds are probably very poor. Ansom was expecting HIS stack to have to fight the wounded A dragons, then the B dragons, and he didn't think he was committing suicide, against just the B dragons he should be fine.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Rollory View Post
    Looks like there is confusion here again. "The warlord" Parson is talking about is Jillian. He's not talking about killing Ansom, he's trying to salvage the lake battle.

Which means that it *is* possible to take actions when it's not your turn - micromanaging the tactical battles, at least. That is pretty similar to how it works in at least some TBS games. So Parson might still pull it out, though with not enough surviving force to take out Ansom.
    Where are people saying that Parson is intending to attack ansom right now?
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground

Thanks again to Steve MB and Ag30476.

[QUOTE=ag30476;3156559]Ansom stated that Ansom + Tarfu + Woodsy elves + Gumps + Jillian + 5 strong gwiffons + Webinar + Dora + Vinnie + Bats + 3 Archons = 43 dwagons + 3 uncroaked warlords an that Stanley would not take those odds.

QUOTE]

Ah I see. When first I read that I assumed he was only talking about the B dragons , Thanks for the clarification. So this means Parson is really booped, all those B Dragons are croaked next turn unless Ansom chooses not to attack them.
    Last edited by Lazy Fat Man; 2007-09-06 at 09:44 PM.
    Lazymancer

I edit a lot because my grammer sucks a lot.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

Interesting.

This comic showss that Parson - or anyone with a board setup like that - can control stacks in mid-combat.

This gives Parson a major advantage (on top of all the others the board gives him), as he can control each individual engagement. Maybe not down to the perfect minutia, but he can apply his skills to the overall battle.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nostradamus once predicted in his journal: "In the century 21st, the one known as Jacques will be the savior of the world... five seasons in a row." Moments later, Jack Bauer knocked down the door, shot Nostradamus in the kneecaps, and yelled "WHO ARE YOU WORKING FOR?!"

"Ghost martyrs of the Sapphire Guard: ATTACK!"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Peptuck View Post
    Interesting.

This comic showss that Parson - or anyone with a board setup like that - can control stacks in mid-combat.

This gives Parson a major advantage (on top of all the others the board gives him), as he can control each individual engagement. Maybe not down to the perfect minutia, but he can apply his skills to the overall battle.
    I think he can control the battle like that because he has warlords attatched to the stack, I assume leaderless stacks engage willy-nilly when counterattacking.
    [/Center]

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    As a main character Jillian, can't die this early in the comic. So we know that any attempt to kill her ins pointless so in a meta way, that's another reason why she will win this. I really have no idea what the authors could possibly be thinking here but I don't like it..

PS. To those that thought Jillian wasn't attacking the warlords, you can feel really stupid now.

Why do you think Jillian is invulnerable? Look at other well respected authors, they have no compuctions about killing main characters. Joss Whedon and George RR Martin come to mind immediately. Nobody in the Buffyverse or Game of Thrones books is guaranteed to live.

If the authors kill a popular main character this early in the story it creates suspense. It creates a sense of reality.

Even Roy Greenhilt died ....
    Last edited by Harunhh; 2007-09-06 at 09:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peptuck View Post
    Interesting.

That was established way back when Stanley arranged to pick up a surprise treat for his favorite caster. (The presence of warlords allows for additional finesse, such as the ability to attack specific targets in a stack and break off engagements short of victory for one side or the other.)
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-09-06 at 09:51 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    The B dragons WON'T AUTO-ATTACK! They're not in the same hex. We know that you can travel next to enemy hexes and not attack or be attacked. Heck we know that you can be next to an enemy hex and not know if the enemy is there are not.
    Hmm I think you're right. The wording in the Klog is that units must attack "when in contact" with units of non-allied capitals. I took this to mean, when they are in adjacent hexes. Obviously I was wrong. Well that proves the old addage, when you assume you end up looking like an Idiot.
    Lazymancer

I edit a lot because my grammer sucks a lot.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Well, when I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

I'll be interested to see how GK recovers from this.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    As a main character Jillian, can't die this early in the comic. So we know that any attempt to kill her ins pointless so in a meta way, that's another reason why she will win this. I really have no idea what the authors could possibly be thinking here but I don't like it.
    ...why does that make her immune to dying? Harry Potter, Song of Fire of Ice, these are two works off the top of my head where deaths of main, central characters occurs (The latter being where no one is safe, no one at all).

Sure, most likely she's safe, why invest so much time, energy, and space to her, but then again, such a death may make all that invested resources that much more dramatic.

edit: i registered just to post this comment, and Harunhh beat me to the punch. :)
    Last edited by psychopez; 2007-09-06 at 10:06 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

BlackDragon

Bah! I was hoping to see Stanley's face. =( Ah, well...I'll just have to wait a week (hopefully less!). It was a nice kill though.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm... Parson was pretty passive once his turn ended, but now he's getting back into the fight. This is in contrast to Ansom who has gone passive, even though it IS his turn...

I wonder if that means anything.

I can almost see the headset-mike on Parson's head as he calls out his orders. Gametime or realtime? Parson is getting into the fight, stepping up to the plate, and any other metaphor you want to use. He's not willing to let Wanda's control over Jillian temper his decisions on how to fight his troops. And it looks like Parson is out to win, not accept a ribbon for second place.

I like it!
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Ilmen Darkflame View Post
    I'll be interested to see how GK recovers from this.
    That they will recover from this is by no means assured....

Quote Originally Posted by psychopez View Post
    ...why does that make her immune to dying? Harry Potter, Song of Fire of Ice, these are two works off the top of my head where deaths of main, central characters occurs (The latter being where no one is safe, no one at all).

Sure, most likely she's safe, why invest so much time, energy, and space to her, but then again, such a death may make all that invested resources that much more dramatic.
    I wouldn't rule anything out at this point (although I'm betting on her survival, perhaps with a last-minute dramatic assist from Ansom).

As for timing, it's actually fairly late in the projected 90-100 page length of the chapter (I figure that this includes the Klogs, as they'll take up a page in the croaked-Gump edition just like any of the standard-numbered pages). I hope there'll be more to come, but I expect that Part I will be a sufficiently self-contained story to stand on its own whether or not that happens.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-09-07 at 09:53 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground

Interesting development. I'm honestly curious as to how the next round of combat plays out. In most TBS games (heck, in most strategy games!) units retain their full attack potential, even if on the edge of death. Given that Jillian and the Archons still have at least 2/3 of the A dragons, plus two warlords, to go through, I think Jillian may just be booped.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kill her! Kill the barbarian!
    Memento mori

I see that your Wiki-Fu is strong.
    --The Chuck

21. - Top - End - #51

Ah I see. When first I read that I assumed he was only talking about the B dragons , Thanks for the clarification. So this means Parson is really booped, all those B Dragons are croaked next turn unless Ansom chooses not to attack them.
    Well no. Ansom has move left but his forest units do not. So the forest units can't engage this turn. Next turn is Stanley's. What Parson does depends on what happens at the end of this turn (right now Jillian is attacking on Ansom's turn). Parson or Stanley can simply direct the B dwagons to withdraw to GK even without warlords since they are not engaged at the start of the turn.

It's like Sun Tsu says, attack only when you know you can win for sure...unless you have to attack when you don't know you can win for sure
    Arena Initiate Referee

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    That they will recover from this is by no means assured....

I wouldn't rule anything out at this point (although I'm betting on her survival, perhaps with a last-minute dramatic assist from Ansom).

As for timing, it's actually fairly late in the projected 90-100 page length of the chapter (I figure that this includes the Klogs, as they'll take up a page in the croaked-Gump edition just like any of the standard-numbered pages). I hope there'll be more to come, but I expect that Part I to be a sufficiently self-contained story to stand on its own whether or not that happens.
    ansom cant assist her, he doesnt have realtime communication with her to know if she gets in trouble, nor does he have any flying or water based units to attack with. she's on her own in this case.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Whoa!! Bloodthirsty Parson!!
    Another Erfword Tool

Official Metalhead of the I Hate Club. Good riddance.

W.W.S.H.D.
    (What Would Sledge Hammer Do?)

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by galdon View Post
    ansom cant assist her, he doesnt have realtime communication with her to know if she gets in trouble, nor does he have any flying or water based units to attack with. she's on her own in this case.
    There is near-real-time comm through the Archons. And Ansom-I-kill-dwagons-with-one-blow has enough move and McGuffin power to assist her. But we don't know what's going to happen next.

Edit: Who's the ninja now?
    Last edited by ag30476; 2007-09-06 at 10:34 PM.
    Arena Initiate Referee

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by galdon View Post
    Ansom got the Thinkagram showing a boopload of dwagons behind Jillian and stating her intention to attack them. It doesn't require a Sherlock Holmes to deduce that she might need some help.

That said, the question is whether or not he has a way or ascertaining Jillian's location from the message (or perhaps gets another one from Jaclyn?). If so, I think he's going to head there.

26. - Top - End - #56

I think it's a good time for a dramatic death, with Jillian sacrificing herself to save Ansom. It can be followed by Ansom cradling her dead body and swearing vengeance against Stanley, etc.

Really - declaring a secret love for someone is movie-speak for "death wish". As long as your love remains unspoken, you get to live on, creating dramatic tension. As soon as you speak of it, you have to die. Come on, even that grey dude in OotS knew the rules, when he told Elan that he hoped they'd never see each other again. Because if they did meet again, then the old guy would have to die so Elan could avenge his death.
    New Terminator movie = Awesome!

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Gamebird View Post
    I think it's a good time for a dramatic death, with Jillian sacrificing herself to save Ansom. It can be followed by Ansom cradling her dead body and swearing vengeance against Stanley, etc.

Really - declaring a secret love for someone is movie-speak for "death wish". As long as your love remains unspoken, you get to live on, creating dramatic tension. As soon as you speak of it, you have to die. Come on, even that grey dude in OotS knew the rules, when he told Elan that he hoped they'd never see each other again. Because if they did meet again, then the old guy would have to die so Elan could avenge his death.
    Or she gets captured and Ansom swears revenge...this installment resolves one cliff-hanger but leaves another...good writing.
    Arena Initiate Referee

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Ansom got the Thinkagram showing a boopload of dwagons behind Jillian and stating her intention to attack them. It doesn't require a Sherlock Holmes to deduce that she might need some help.

That said, the question is whether or not he has a way or ascertaining Jillian's location from the message (or perhaps gets another one from Jaclyn?). If so, I think he's going to head there.
    Course, that's also dependent upon whether or not units can move into a battle-in-progress.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Jillian hopes Wanda can see this...why?

1) She wants Wanda to know that she is still under her control and has a plan, or

2) She wants Wanda to know that the 'deal' is off.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

guess wanda's gonna ahve do take off her clothes again to calm stanley down. i've heard of taking one for the team but darn.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.