New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: ~The Dark Tapestry IC ~

Cal, walking about town, also enters Xemne's shop. As he browses about he heres the interaction between the two, he makes a very subtle face and walks over. "Well, if that's the case, I'll talk 4 also, if you don't mind." he says with a grin as he rummages around for the correct coinage.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Colossus in the Playground

Alright, Kotori says. When do we start?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

Cal looks at the rest of the group as Kotori's question. "Well, I'm ready for now. Its still pretty early, I imagine we can get moving before it gets too late unless anyone wants to pick anything else up."

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: OC
    Show
    Forgot the party hadn't rested since leveling. The party purchased 8 cure light wounds potions for 320 gold....but I don't see them recorded on anybody's character sheet, nor the money, nor the plaque, nor the keys you discovered on Hunclay.

Having secured their purchases, the party decides that they might as well set out without delay. Making their way back across Rogue's Creek, the others point down Green Hill Rd. and explain to Kotori that Baroness Oregina Devy lives down that road in a rather impressive manor house. The party pauses at the base of the the hill upon which once sat the Witch's Tower, and begins to tell the tale of what they found there. Curious, Kotori heads up the hill asking about the impressive domed mansion, and further inquire about what the others had encountered in the dungeons beneath the collapsed tower.

The conversation is a lengthy one as everyone seats themselves on the tumbled stones of the ruins. Kotori also regales the others with how she met Barnibus as well as a handful of harrowing tales of their time fighting side by side on the borders of Cheliax. Eventually the conversation winds down, and Jheren points back to the Old Quarry Road, observing that if it had fallen into disuse as Lady Devy said, they should be going if they want to reach the Old Quarry by nightfall.

What started out as a two track path, clearly worn by carts and wagons soon becomes a sea of brushy undergrowth. Jheren takes the lead and uses his woodcraft to find the path of least resistance, but it is a still a slow slog up a steady rise. By mid afternoon the party reaches the top ridge and looks down into a wide valley. At the base of the hill upon which they stand, the Old Quarry is readily visible, as a small, deep lake has filled in the steep-sided limestone bowl. In the distance the party sees what must be the Old Quarry Road as it emerges from the trees and then disappears into a low swamp the locals call The Dragon Fens. Turning, you can see Pelhaime nestled in the low hills between the Verdira River and Rogue's Creek.

At Cal's suggestion the party moves off brushy trail into the jumbled rocks of the hillock, to observe the comings and goings of the Old Quarry. Perhaps they could get a better idea as to the size of the band of kobolds said to reside in the cliffs of the quarry.

Hours later the sun slides toward the western horizon, having revealed no movement in or out of the quarry....no sign of kobolds at all. Not risking a fire, in such an exposed position, the party dines on simple jerky and trail rations before the bedrolls are laid out and watches set.

The night passes uneventfully, under the starlight, and the weather is pleasant enough for everyone to get a full night's rest. Rising early the next morning, the party makes their way down the slope toward the open pit that once served as a modestly lucrative limestone quarry. From the lip of the quarry you can see the deep blue waters of a presumably very deep lake the fills the lower depths ofthe quarry, but there is also a strip of exposed stone that rings the lake before the sheer walls of the quarry itself....the old stone quarry must've been laid out in tiers. The ring of stone that surrounds the lake is strewn with boulders and stones as the quarry has slowly begun to tumble in on itself over the years. The quarry walls appear to be about sixty to seventy feet high, but a spur of the Old Quarry Road winds down to the lake's edge.

After silently watching for any signs of movement, the party slowly makes their way down to the lake shore.....MAP
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2019-11-04 at 11:34 AM.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Cal carries on the conversation, getting to know Aerlya and Jheren better while finding out what he could about Kotori.
    They take turns through the night and Cal, while still being alert, manages to drift in and out of fogs memories, tries to graps their ephemeral whisps, the blessing and curse of his race.
    Once the morning rises, he stretches and breaks his fast with the others. As he looks upon the various facings, keeping an eye out but seeing nothing. Grabbing a stick to poke the dying embers of the fire, he points at the cliffs. "Probably, between the cut outs int he cliff, we may find some cave or crevice that they have. Best be forthright with them, speaking to them as equals and finding what their business is about."

6. - Top - End - #516

Who'll be doing the talking? Kotori asks. I'm not a natural speaker, but I've training in the wars of words.

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I'm not some wizard with words but I've always been able to speak with someone by being forthright and honest, as best I can." Cal says.

8. - Top - End - #518

Aye, honesty tends to work the best, Kotori says.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm rocking +8 to Diplomacy. Charisma penalty, but well-trained.

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright, let's do this. Fan out a bit, though. We might be here peaceably but we may intimidate them a bit, so try not to look so... menacing, eh?" Cal says as he starts making his way to the cliffs.

10. - Top - End - #520

Kotori nods, and starts forward. I'll take point, in case they decide to not be so friendly.

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ettin in the Playground

As the party begins to fan out a bird trills in the distance, but otherwise the quarry seems entirely still and quiet.

MAP
    Spoiler: Jheren
    Show
    The ranger is convinced there was something unnatural about the bird's trill.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2019-11-10 at 12:09 PM.

12. - Top - End - #522

Kotori clears her throat, and calls out across the area. We come in peace! We only want to talk. Please, send someone to speak with us-you have our word they will not be harmed.

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ettin in the Playground

Kotori's voice echos through the quarry basin and across the blue waters of the still lake. There is no response....

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, be prepared. I'll move a bit to the right and look over there." he says as he moves a bit, cautiously but not in a hostile manner.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to I-14 and looks about
    Perception
    (1d20+8)[12]

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ettin in the Playground

Cal moves forward, stopping near a crumbling man-sized boulder lightly covered in vegetation. The air is damp and a little chilly in the shadow of the quarry walls. Directly in front of him looms a massive boulder, as tall as it is wide. Peering around silently, he sees nothing moving nor hears anything out of the usual.

16. - Top - End - #526

We sure this is the right spot? Kotori asks her companions.

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Cal gives a slight shrug as he moves forward. "Well, this was the information we were given, we can only hope it was correct. Keep searching out, maybe a small entrance for the small folk?"

Spoiler
    Show

Move to K-16

18. - Top - End - #528

Spoiler: Movement
    Show
    E20 for me.

Kotori moves forward, ready to draw at a moment's notice, but not actively armed for now.

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ettin in the Playground

Kotori and Cal fan out, navigating the field of boulders, temporarily losing sight of each other, but both pause looking and listening intently. The water of the deep quarry lake lap gently against the stones, but beyond that the quarry is eerily silent.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

Apprehension enters Cal's mind as he quickly squashes it.
    With an even pace, he continues to move along the cliff wall, searching for any signs of life.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to K-23

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ettin in the Playground

Kotori watches as Cal moves forward in the shadow of the steep quarry walls.

Standing so close to the rock face, Cal notes the water stains on the limestone left from years of tiny rivulets streaming water. Moss and lichen cover most of the exposed stone.

Somewhere ahead to the south, and slightly elevated he hears two distinct bird trills.

MAP
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2019-11-14 at 05:55 PM.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Cal casually moves back to Kotori and says quietly "I believe we are being watched. There are some bird noises where they are signalling back and forth but I have no idea if it is the kobolds. Best to proceed with caution without alarming them." before moving back to his original position.

23. - Top - End - #533

Right, she replies, and continues forward. She looks up, trying to see if there's any laid traps.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    Straight wisdom. (1d20+3)[5]

Edit: Sad trombone noises.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2019-11-15 at 12:25 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ettin in the Playground

Cal and Kotori exchange a look before Kotori proceeds to move along the shore of the lake. Looking up she sees only the looming wall of the quarry and the lightly vegetated sides of the few enormous towering boulders.

Spoiler: OC
    Show
    Added some notations to the map. Simple rule on the boulders; the height of the boulders matches its width at it's widest point. Hope that makes sense. Just wanted to point out that some of these things are massive and will block line of sight between Cal and Kotori periodically

25. - Top - End - #535

Kotori calls out again. We're really not here to fight! Can you send someone to talk?

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ettin in the Playground

The dwarf's words rebound off the quarry walls and echos over the deep lake. In the deep shadows draped over the field of boulders neither Cal nor Kotori see anything moving.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Cal patiently keeps moving, popping his eyes up as Kotori calls out before inspecting more of the wall.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to K-32

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ettin in the Playground

As Cal comes to a stop to examine the adjacent quarry walls, three sharp trills sound from above and to his right. Small reptilian figures pop into view from behind the boulders strewn about the quarry floor. Without hesitation nor warning, they fire their loaded crossbows at the party.

Crossbow bolts rain down from above as well as from the south.

Spoiler: COMBAT
    Show

K1 vs Cal attack (1d20+3)[19]; damage (1d6)[2]; IF hit FORT save vs poison DC 11
    K2 vs Cal attack (1d20+3)[15]; damage (1d6)[5]; IF hit FORT save vs poison DC 11
    K3 vs Kotori attack (1d20+4)[13]; damage (1d6)[2]; IF hit FORT save vs poison DC 11
    K4 vs Kotori attack (1d20+4)[17]; damage (1d6)[5]; IF hit FORT save vs poison DC 11
    K5 vs Kotori attack (1d20+4)[11]; damage (1d6)[6]; IF hit FORT save vs poison DC 11
    K6 vs Aerlya attack (1d20+4)[18]; damage (1d6)[6]; IF hit FORT save vs poison DC 11

all attacks vs flat-footed AC

MAP

29. - Top - End - #539

You've got one chance to lay down your weapons before we decide to get angry! Kotori yells. We can talk this out peaceably! But only if you stop attacking!

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

AS the crossbow twang and bolts go flying, two find purchase in Cal's leg and abdomen. Grunting, he moves behind the nearst large rock that can provide cover, pulling out his crossbow as he goes.

Spoiler
    Show

Cal
    AC = 13 ; Current = 13
    HP = 14 ; Current = 7

Duck behind cover at H-30

Effects ~
    Poison - -1 Dex