New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Savage Tide III: Tides of Dread [IC]

After hearing that his attacks cannot truly fell the beasts, Corrin will opt to increase his own defenses while still invisible rather than waste energy elsewhere.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I can't tell if Corrin would have his Armored Aegis up at this time of day or not and the Spell points don't seem to have been spent on his sheet so I will have Corrin cast Armored Aegis for 1 spell point on himself.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Eliezer charges the fire bat way in the back that Tom was beating on.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

3. - Top - End - #243
    Colossus in the Playground

R5T20: Eliezer goes to charge the fire bat way in the back that Tom was fighting, but he doesn't expect some winds that drive him 10' off course.

R5T12: After hearing that his attacks cannot truly fell the beasts, Corrin opts to increase his own defenses while still invisible rather than waste energy elsewhere.
    Spoiler: Corrin
    Show
    You're right. I have you with armored aegis (armor and shield), but only 1 SP spent (which was from invisibility), so you now have 3 SP spent. Thanks for the reminder.

So, because I have you with those protections already, I will put you in delay status. If you want to do anything you can jump in, but the battle is likely to be over by then.

R5T10: Corrin's fire bat begins healing (though it is still down).

R5T9: Skald, what do you do?

FB7 on deck (literally, and sorta held in palce by Vona's plasma sword), Tom in the hole ...
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Skald will hover in place, watching for activity in the various deceased? bats, ready to loose a bolt at the first one that stirs.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

5. - Top - End - #245

R5T9: Skald hovers in place, watching for activity in the various deceased(?) bats, ready to loose an arrow at the first one that stirs.

R5T7: The fire-bat that was originally Skald's and Tom's - the one Eliezer wildly missed due to a gust of wind across the grasslands leading to the vilage - begins to heal some (but as with the other bat, doesn't yet stir).

End Round 5, Begin Round 6 ...

R6T24:
    Tom, what do you do? You can't breathe yet.

Hoggie on deck, Vona in the hole ...
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Tom points at the bat he just downed.

"If you don't want to try and catch that thing, you need to finish it off. It's just knocked out."

He walks toward it, ready to stab...

Spoiler
    Show
    I was about 40 feet from it, so I can't attack yet.
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie will delay.

8. - Top - End - #248

R6T24: Tom points at the bat he just downed, "If you don't want to try and catch that thing, you need to finish it off. It's just knocked out."

He walks toward it, ready to stab. He is surprised when he gets there with plenty of time to spare, and then remembers that he is hasted. The thrust itself is fine, but the cold coming from Winterspear is what does the trick as the fire-bat disappears in a puff of flame.

R6T21: Hoggie delays...

R6T20.5: Vona, keeps her plasma thing in the bat she's on to keep it down until Rabbi Cohen - or, it seems, Tom - comes along to kill the thing for good.

R6T20: Eliezer flies in, hasted, whacks the last fire-bat that Vona is "maintaining," and it disappears in a puff of flame.

Combat Ends ...
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Eliezer takes to the air to get a bird's eye view to see if any villagers need assistance.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

10. - Top - End - #250

Despite the dangerous nature of the fire bats, amazingly no villagers were harmed in the making of this encounter. While the villagers are still too frightened to exit their huts, a wizened old woman (that Eliezer, Skald, and Tom recognize) readily approaches the party. Assuming Rabbi Cohen and the rest collect around her, she does speak Common, and she introduces herself to those that don't already know her - J'kal, the chieftain of Tanaroa. She speaks Common, and she showers the PCs with thanks for her role in defending the village.

J'kal informs the PCs that, while their heroic aid against the fire bats certainly deserves reciprocation, she cannot spare any of her village's warriors while Zotzilaha is angry. Recently, the Fangs of Zotzilaha have been shaking the island with tremors and sending thick clouds of ash into the air. Divinations have revealed that Zotzilaha himself has grown angry over an idol of the bat god stolen from his shrine in the northern volcano Nextepeua. The villagers have tried to appease Zotzilaha with offerings, but Zotzilaha's wrath grows. If the idol is not found and returned to the shrine, they believe that Nextepeua will erupt and destroy them all.
    Spoiler: Rabbi Cohen
    Show
    Yup, that idol.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie will materialize (solidify?) and limp over to the group. He gives Vona a grin and a big thumbs up; if Vona was standing behind herself and to the left.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

"J'kal, I have such an idol in my possession," admits Rabbi Cohen. "And I offer to deliver the idol back into Zotzilaha's care, if you can tell me the way to where best to take it."
    Current Games

13. - Top - End - #253

Despite being effectively a battle-angel, yet Eliezer's humbler origins give to him an incredibly calming demeanor when he desires, and he allays J'kal's fears. She promises the PCs that if they return the idol to the shrine, she'll be more than willing to send her warriors to Farshore to defend it when the time comes.

The Tanaroans eagerly provide directions to the Zotzilaha shrine entrance on the lower slopes of Nextepeua. This entrance is a large cave mouth, its rim marked with bat carvings and numerous niches for offerings. Beyond this entrance, a winding tunnel bores deep into the volcano's core -- the Olmans make the pilgrimage to the shrine chamber itself only once a year, and typically do so under the protection of endure elements. The winding tunnel climbs three miles through the volcano before reaching the shrine, and usually takes the Olman priests about an hour.

If you leave now, you will effectively be force marching and won't have the proper spells aligned. Do you leave now, or wait until the next morning?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Vona briefly considered pressing forward, but considered the Rabbi's confusion. Chances were that most of the casters here we're also Variable, Non-Compiled Neuromancers (VNCN casters for short), and practitioners of that style often lacked the endurance of a spherecaster, so resting would probably be for the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

I assume they put us up for the night? If not, we camp where J'kal lets us.

Once together - just our group - Rabbi Cohen shares a concern. "I didn't want to mention this, but it seems the idol was taken from a spot from Nextepeua. I've never been there ... we've never even gotten near there. When we hit landfall to the far northeast of the island, we mainly hugged the coast as we came down. The idol in question, however, I found when I was on a doomed away team in a place called Tamoachan ... far from the Island of Dread. It was after I emerged as the lone survivor I met Tom Underhill, and only through the grace of the gods (and my navigational skills) on a dinghy we called the Dancer's Circlet that I managed to be reunited with the Sea Wyvern.

"So, ancient idols being taken from one spot, and ending up elsewhere ... that's not uncommon. But let's look at our current situation, and two theories develop, each begging their own question....

"One, it is an ancient displacement. Only because of my presence here, now, carrying the bat idol, has Zotzilaha become aware that we have it, or that it is even stolen. I have problems with that, though, because ...

"Two, it seems like this is a contemporary problem. J'kal said pilgrimages are made each year. Wouldn't they have noticed the bat idol missing? And wouldn't Zotzilaha's wrath have been marked long before now? So, this is the one I believe ... that sometime in the past year, someone took the idol from its proper place in Nextepeua and moved it into a cavern on a different island hundreds of miles from here. A remote location.

"Now, if the idol went into civilized lands and some learned person was given a vision or something to return it, that would be one thing. But that's not what happened. The idol ended up in an extremely dangerous temple in Tamoachan. Getting to the idol, which was not my concern at the time (discovery and survival was), could not have been managed by any Tom, Richard, or Harry. And yet, I did it and in the same year it was stolen and sent so far afield I have brought it back.

"I have the uneasy feeling that the idol was put in my place to find, and as such was something I was meant to return. But Zotzilaha is angry at the theft, which leaves us me with reinforcement of that uneasy feeling that there is some other party out there that is playing a dangerous game.

"I fully intend on taking the idol back, and it turns out doing so garners the help we need for warriors from not only Tanaroa, but all the other villages that are waiting to fall in line. I am playing someone else's game, but the stakes are too high NOT to.

"Thoughts?"
    Current Games

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I see a bad moon a-risingI see trouble on the way
    I see earthquakes and lightnin'
    I see bad times today

Don't go 'round tonight
    It's bound to take your life
    There's a bad moon on the rise

I hear hurricanes a-blowing
    I know the end is coming soon
    I fear rivers over flowing
    I hear the voice of rage and ruin

I hope you got your things together
    I hope you are quit prepared to die
    Look's like we're in for nasty weather
    One eye is taken for an eye”

Spoiler: credit
    Show

Credence Clearwater Revival: Bad Moon Rising

Hoggie picks up Rusty and strokes the cat thoughtfully.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

"It sounds like there's some other faction out there playing a long game, with a long reach and lots of resources. Doesn't sound like the Crimson Fleet. Those people are more, uh, direct. But we have to deal with the problem in front of us. Putting the statue back makes sense."
    Last edited by Swami Monsoon; 2018-11-07 at 11:37 AM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Skald will nod his agreement from the corner.

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Vona shakes her head at the Rabbi's assessment. "I don't buy it; it just doesn't add up. This plot just has too many failure points. You're saying whoever set this up stole an artifact of cultural significance as part of an elaborate ruse get you (or at least someone like you) to bring it back. How? Why? Why would they hide it in an extraordinarily dangerous and difficult to reach location, hundreds of miles away? Even assuming getting to it was some sort of test, how could they possibly know that whoever found it wouldn't pawn it at the first convenience? How could they know that they would not only keep it, but bring it back to the site? And not only find it and bring it back to the site, but before the annual pilgrimage would discover its absence? No."

She frowns as she continues. "I think you stumbled over the set-up of a coup. Someone wanted this thing gone, that much is obvious, but if they wanted it eliminated, why not destroy it? The only thing that makes sense to me is because they will want it intact at a later date. What I think happened is that someone with a long range Warp effect took the idol and hid it somewhere no one on the island could possibly find, even if they too could Warp hundreds of miles. Someone with that capability could conceivably take it at any time, but they'd probably want to have an alibi for the pilgrimage where they'd find it missing, which means he'd have to do it ahead of time. Eventually, the pilgrims would discover it missing and there would be a massive uproar over such a cultural keystone going missing. That's when our thief would claim to have a vision from Zotzilaha and 'recover' it. The thankful population gives him great praise and he's a shoo-in for replacing the chieftain, especially if he can rabble-rouse hard enough before the vision appears before him."

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

Assuming that the Rabbi's magical interference is down, Corrin will appear before the group and write, "You speak of designs and a designer wishing for you to find the idol, or wishing the idol to not be found, and worry about which would be worse. Fate oft makes fools of schemers and mortal designs. Fate brought us here, it will carry us through."

21. - Top - End - #261

Spoiler
    Show
    The problem now, of course, is that PSinger was following a train of thought, putting long pieces together, but he's OOC for a couple months or so ... and I have to continue. Well, hopefully I have enough from him above to continue while not giving anything away or the like as the GM.

Lazer looks at Vona. "You're right, anybody else and those failure points are glaring. So think of this, though motive is unknown ... I was meant to find the idol, because if someone knows that I was coming to the Isle of Dread, it's the way to get the idol back here. I think the idol's placement is a 'Velunan falcon' ... actually worthless itself, but an object around which attention is given that moves others around someone's playing board. It's not enough that someone found the idol, but specifically that I - or a member of our ill-fated expedition - found it. If we all died, then very likely Third Party would simply have moved the idol to another point that would be in the path of someone from our expedition.

"Is that paranoid, or even egotistical?"
    Rabbi Cohen shrugs. "Maybe. Right now I don't think we have all the variables. But you have to agree, Vona, that whatever is happening, that there is no way this is random chance. We might not know the how or why, but we know that something is off.

"And as for Fate, Corrin,"
    he adds to the halfling, "I could be mistaken, but I don't think Fate is an agent in and of itself. And Fate, such as it is, works through mortal and natural means, not carte blanche. This is too wildly coincidental to be a trick of fate, but there is an engineer at work here."
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Vona nods. "You're right, the why isn't nearly as important as the who, and we don't have enough data to make a definitive theorem. Either way, I don't see we have an alternative than to return it to its proper place. Even if doing so is some sort of trap, I don't see another option, especially if we are to obtain the Olman's support. Especially now they know we have it. I worry that this could all metaphorically collapse on us, but I don't see any other way that through."

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

"First we have to protect these people and get them on our side. Once we've done that, we might know more about whose fault this is."

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie nods in general agreement. He picks up Rusty and limps off to find the local healer / shaman to swap herbalism knowledge and to see if there are any interesting flora around and to see if he can get a bandage analog for his wound.

25. - Top - End - #265

The villagers want nothing to do with Hoggie. The heroes might have defeated the fire-bats, but they still angered their god. There are no shops or the like open (or even any such sense of such a thing), and the only one that came out of a hut to greet the heroes was the chieftain, J'kal.

Unless Hoggie rolls in PC-dust and forces himself on a villager's home, he will not get what he seeks this day.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie looks through his haversack. “I know I packed the PC dust somewhere,” he thinks to himself.

27. - Top - End - #267

Rusty has a hacking attack, and coughs up a hairball. "Sorry. I thought it was magic catnip."

The PC dust is ruined, as once ingested by an outsider it is ruined.

Shall we move to the next day?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie smiles at Rusty’s antics. He sets to making camp for the night near the others. Once settled, he will pop a bit of something into his mouth and chew contentedly as he watches the colors of the world bleed and bubble.

29. - Top - End - #269

Before retiring, Rabbi Cohen will channel energy to make sure that everyone (primarily Hoggie and Skald) are as healthy as can be.

Everyone prepares their morning routine.
    Spoiler: BuckGodot
    Show
    Still waiting to know if you change anything for Skald.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Skald will meditate to adjust some of the spells he uses. After some time he informs the group, "I have asked for the favour of spells useful against fires, since we are travelling into a volcano. They are water based and will help against normal fire and may damage any fire creatures we encounter."

Spoiler: A hunka, hunka burnin love...
    Show
    Swap 2nd level 'Resist Energy' for 'Water Jet' and 3rd level 'Neutralize Poison' for 'Quench'