New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: IFCC's uses for V

Without V Roy would try to get a replacement, over which the ifcc has no control.
    By protecting Vaarsuvius they retain some partial control over the order.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

No idea. What I do know is they are about to use their three minute window to protect V’s body from the vampires.

Assuming their plan involves destroying all five gates, being able to take the Order’s top damage dealer out of the action for 20 minutes will be pretty useful, just like with Girards Gate.

Their plan though... depends how much they know about the Rifts. If they know about the Planet (which I would guess is Creation’s First Planet and is in fact not destroyed but now trapped inside the Snarl’s “belly”) I expect they plan to damn all the souls trapped there and use the resources to storm the gates of the good afterlife.

Pure speculation. Check my reasoning?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
    But they didn't act to save him from Xykon when Xykon was about to snuff them both V and O'Chul with Meteor Swarms to the FACE. Which would have been certain death. They had only moments to act and no way to know the MITD would "Escape" them away. They even seemed to WANT either V to win or Xykon to lose ... after it's over, one of the Directors says "he couldn't believe he was actually cheering for a paladin for a moment there.... I feel dirty".

Still they did nothing.
    This is a very good point. I think they might still end up helping the Order somehow next time they pull V down, but they won't ever do it merely to save V/protect their investment.
    ungelic is us

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseTheBees View Post
    No idea. What I do know is they are about to use their three minute window to protect V’s body from the vampires.
    Unless you have access to The Giant's plans for the story, you only suspect.

Assuming their plan involves destroying all five gates, being able to take the Order’s top damage dealer out of the action for 20 minutes will be pretty useful, just like with Girards Gate.
    That has nothing to do with V's damage input, that had everything to do with information only V (and Blackwing) was privy to, information that has now been shared to avoid that kind of things again.
    If their plan is to weaken the Order, letting V die here would be more useful than (potentially) saving his skin.

Their plan though... depends how much they know about the Rifts. If they know about the Planet (which I would guess is Creation’s First Planet and is in fact not destroyed but now trapped inside the Snarl’s “belly”) I expect they plan to damn all the souls trapped there and use the resources to storm the gates of the good afterlife.
    The storming of the good afterlives is notdue to happen for some millenia, that is their long-term goal, not short-to middle term.

We have no indication that there is anyone one the planet (but none conclusive in the other direction either) and I don't see how destroying the gates would help them damn anyone, besides what would they be able to do that their counterparts wouldn't?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll bet money that not only don't you know that, you will be wrong about it.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

The IFCC have never acted to protect V, and they certainly aren't going to use some of the hard earned time for their master plans to do so.

People are confusing V's body being protected as a consequence of their deal (so they can keep making usage of it) with them actively intervening in something else that has nothing to do with it.

Unless they can split the time and don't have to use it all in one go (which has not been implied) they aren't going to waste a turn here, when we know they have something else they want to use it for.

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I'm not sure if it is inherently evil. Is there any reason a Deva couldn't splice a good-aligned spellcaster to a mortal to help them defeat a monster?
    The problem with that is that in OotS, we see that the souls of the regularly deceased end up in their alignment-appropriate paradise. Taking a soul out of that paradise again (other than for a Resurrection, obviously) seems to something I can't imagine the forces of Good to look kindly upon.
    Last edited by Delta; 2018-06-13 at 03:27 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    The problem with that is that in OotS, we see that the souls of the regularly deceased end up in their alignment-appropriate paradise. Taking a soul out of that paradise again (other than for a Resurrection, obviously) seems to something I can't imagine the forces of Good to look kindly upon.
    A willing soul, working to empower a champion to greater good ends, shouldn't be a problem. Good doesn't force, but it has no problem allowing or even encouraging heroics.

And I really don't see the IFCC pulling V's bacon out of the fire just to preserve their last call. If nothing else, the party already has a high level cleric on hand, and I'm sure that dwarves with their proclivity to mining can scrounge up some diamonds. A dead wizard can be remedied while depleting the party's resources. On top of that, the threat of having V pulled out in a clutch situation forces the party to invest extra cautiously. Spending a time out burns off some of that threat. There's nothing that the IFCC stands to gain by acting here.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
    A willing soul, working to empower a champion to greater good ends, shouldn't be a problem. Good doesn't force, but it has no problem allowing or even encouraging heroics.
    Yeah, I also don't see anything inherently evil in the "soul splice" thing, since the splices don't even have the power to control the character's actions. Unless the procedure damages the soul or anything like that, I don't really see a reason for Good to employ it with souls that were volunteers.

Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
    And I really don't see the IFCC pulling V's bacon out of the fire just to preserve their last call. If nothing else, the party already has a high level cleric on hand, and I'm sure that dwarves with their proclivity to mining can scrounge up some diamonds. A dead wizard can be remedied while depleting the party's resources. On top of that, the threat of having V pulled out in a clutch situation forces the party to invest extra cautiously. Spending a time out burns off some of that threat. There's nothing that the IFCC stands to gain by acting here.
    Agreed. I believe there's a lot of people saying "I'm sure V will be saved here by IFCC" because:

1) People like the character and are trying to think of ways for V to be saved.

2) Since the possibility of the soul snatching by IFCC appeared, everybody is trying to guess when will it happen again. If one guesses times enough, one will end up guessing right some time.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Agreed. I believe there's a lot of people saying "I'm sure V will be saved here by IFCC" because:

1) People like the character and are trying to think of ways for V to be saved.

2) Since the possibility of the soul snatching by IFCC appeared, everybody is trying to guess when will it happen again. If one guesses times enough, one will end up guessing right some time.
    And 3 - Since this is the Sixth book out of Seven, it's assumed that they will use it once in this book and the last in the other.

So the window of opportunity to use it in this book is getting smaller and smaller.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    And 3 - Since this is the Sixth book out of Seven, it's assumed that they will use it once in this book and the last in the other.

So the window of opportunity to use it in this book is getting smaller and smaller.
    Well, given how short one of the two uses is, I could see both being used in a longrunning book, if this one turns out to be shorter than blood runs in the family.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2018-06-13 at 05:14 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Well, given how short one of the two uses is, I could see both being used in a longrunning book, if this one turns out to be shorter than blood runs in the family.
    It's based on the length of time each individual splice was attached, so one is pretty significantly shorter than the other two (which are pretty close to the same length, themselves).

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Otomodachi View Post
    It's based on the length of time each individual splice was attached, so one is pretty significantly shorter than the other two (which are pretty close to the same length, themselves).
    I know this. The two left are the 4 minute one from Haerta and one of the two twenty minute ones IIRC. I could easily see both being in the same book.

14. - Top - End - #44

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    I know this. The two left are the 4 minute one from Haerta and one of the two twenty minute ones IIRC. I could easily see both being in the same book.
    OH! You meant "this one" as in the length of the BOOK, my bad.