New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    A 22 Yes, that's how that works.
    Do mind that many 3rd level maneuvers (including IHS) require you have so many maneuvers from the same school known before you are actually eligible to take that maneuver. Thus, in the aforementioned situation (Ftr 2/Crusader 4), you'd have to take martial study twice to learn IHS. Additionally, you may only select Martial Study a maximum of three times.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

2. - Top - End - #32

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Q 23

Can you cast Permanency on Su abilities? Like a Ravid's Animate Objects Su ability.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

A 23 No, you cannot.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 24How many medium sized creatures could fit onto a colossal mount?
    q 25Does Inspire Greatness grant a feat for the duration of its effect as if put to, say, 15 hd?
    Last edited by cartejos; 2018-06-12 at 11:00 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

A 024

I'm not sure this is entirely defined within RAW, but I would assume the primary factor would be it's carrying capacity compared to the combined weight of it's passengers.

I would also add (not as RAW, purely a recommendation) that that since a colossal creature occupies 36 squares, and medium creatures occupies 1 square, then that may be a limiting factor as well.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

A 025

A bard using Inspire Greatness on a 13th level character would grant the PC 2 bonus HD, which includes a feat. However, a bar using Inspire Greatness on a 12th level character will *not* grant the PC a feat.
    Show

Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 25 contention

Inspire Greatness doesn't grant anything beyond what is given in the ability's description. 2 bonus hit dices don't equate to 2 character levels, so it doesn't grant any extra feat or class feature, whatever the level of the subject.

It can at best modify some quality that is entirely dependent on hit dices, like the effective caster level of a character with the practiced spellcaster feat, but that's all.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #38
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Q 26

when a human becomes dragonborn, they lose their bonus skill point at each level, do they also lose the 4 bonus skill points at 1st level?
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

A 26 Yes, they do.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

10. - Top - End - #40

DruidGuy

Q 27

if you're using Able Learner, and you have cc skills at 2nd level that can't be 3 ranks (because half of 5 ranks is 2.5), does that mean you just can't spend points on them, or do you just "ignore" the half rank over, or ignore the "extra" half rank gained?

Q 28

if you gain a feat at say 3rd level that affects skills becoming class skills at that point, does that retroactively take effect in the build order at 3rd, or due to strict RAW of character creation rules in PHB, do you have to spend skill points before the feat takes effect changing them from cc to class?
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2018-06-13 at 12:58 PM.
    Show

I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

11. - Top - End - #41

A 27

If a cross-class skill is already maxed-out at 2, you can't add a full skill point to it even with Able Learner until the max skill ranks reach 3, that is by level 3.

Note that if you're not happy about the way this force you to distribute skill ranks, there are always the retraining rules from Player Handbook II, that allow a bit of re-shuffling afterward.

A 28
    The Player Handbook give the order in which the statitics are changed with a new level as follow: Class / BAB / Saves / Ability score increase / Hit Points / Skill Points / Feats / Spells / Class Features.

So yes, by strict raw a feat that would modify which skills are class skills would take effect after the skill points for this level are distributed.

Note, though, this order is something a lots of DM give some leeway with. Theoretically, it's supposed to the most advantageous possible for players (notably, it adds about everything that can count as a feat prerequisite before the acquisition of feats).
    Last edited by St Fan; 2018-06-13 at 03:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    Q 27

if you're using Able Learner, and you have cc skills at 2nd level that can't be 3 ranks (because half of 5 ranks is 2.5), does that mean you just can't spend points on them, or do you just "ignore" the half rank over, or ignore the "extra" half rank gained?
    You might be able to spend half a point at the DM's discretion, but I'm not sure why you would want to.

Q 28

if you gain a feat at say 3rd level that affects skills becoming class skills at that point, does that retroactively take effect in the build order at 3rd, or due to strict RAW of character creation rules in PHB, do you have to spend skill points before the feat takes effect changing them from cc to class?
    Skill rank assignments and feats can be chosen at the same time, as per PHB 87. The "strict RAW of character creation rules" you're referring to isn't actually that strict; it doesn't prescribe any particular order that the steps must happen in AFAICT.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Not sure if these go beyond the scope of simple RAW, but I'll try anyway:

Q 029

A Karsite character(LA +2) dies, and has a Reincarnation spell cast on him. He comes back as a Human (LA +0). What happens to the +2 LA? Does it disappear, as if "bought off"?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 029

A Karsite character(LA +2) dies, and has a Reincarnation spell cast on him. He comes back as a Human (LA +0). What happens to the +2 LA? Does it disappear, as if "bought off"?
    A 029

Yes, you lose the +2 LA. Reincarnation in particular is tricky because the DM can liberally change the table at will, as the text suggests he/she do for odd humanoids.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45

DruidGuy

Q 30

can you reassign the bonus feat your familiar has as a base animal?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Q 30

can you reassign the bonus feat your familiar has as a base animal?
    Barring effects like psychic reformation or embrace the dark chaos, only the DM can reassign an NPC's feats.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Q 30: clarification

Are you asking if you're allowed to choose them yourself when the familiar is created, or if you can alter them later on through gameplay once it's already been statted?

Iron Chef Medals!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Q 31
    If you have Scramble True Position as a spell-like ability, how do you treat the (presumably dropped) Truespeak roll?

19. - Top - End - #49

DruidGuy

Q 30: clarification

Are you asking if you're allowed to choose them yourself when the familiar is created, or if you can alter them later on through gameplay once it's already been statted?
    at creation
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    Q 31
    If you have Scramble True Position as a spell-like ability, how do you treat the (presumably dropped) Truespeak roll?
    You still have to make the Truespeak check, as it is part of the spell's effect in addition to being a component. If you were to cast it without speaking the correct truename, nothing would happen, as you would not meet or exceed the DC for any of the creatures in the area.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Q32 Is there any way for a psionic character to increase the manifesting time of his powers from standard action to full-round action (similar to the way sorcerers do by applying a metamagic feat to a spell)?
    Extended signature here. Contains: 2 avatars, 3 quotes, a doggo and his friends.

Kitchen Crashers: an adventure building Iron Chef - First edition running 20/04/18-18/05/18.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Q 033

Is there any template, class, feat or item that can add an alignment subtype to a large Monstrous Humanoid, such as a Yak Folk?

(Specifically NOT any rituals from Savage Species please).

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Pine View Post
    Q32 Is there any way for a psionic character to increase the manifesting time of his powers from standard action to full-round action (similar to the way sorcerers do by applying a metamagic feat to a spell)?
    No.

Q 033

Is there any template, class, feat or item that can add an alignment subtype to a large Monstrous Humanoid, such as a Yak Folk?

(Specifically NOT any rituals from Savage Species please).
    Yes.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q 034

Is there a difference between DR 5/+1 and DR 5/Magic? If so, what?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Yes.
    A 033

Thank you for that most literal, yet unhelpful, answer.

Might I trouble you for specifics?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    Q 034

Is there a difference between DR 5/+1 and DR 5/Magic? If so, what?
    DR/+1 is an obsolete form of DR from 3.0, before the 3.5 update. It translates to DR/magic in 3.5. However, most DR values were lowered in the update in addition to being retemplated, so DR 5/+1 might actually end up being DR 3/magic, for example. Check your friendly update booklet to confirm.

A 033

Thank you for that most literal, yet unhelpful, answer.

Might I trouble you for specifics?
    A complete list would be outside the scope of this thread, but here is a useful reference for templates.

Some prestige classes, such as Winterhaunt of Iborighu, can also do it.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2018-06-14 at 12:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Q 35

Is there any known way to modify a spell that target a specific creature type, like humanoids, for it to affect a different creature type, such as giants or feys?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

A 35 There are certain exceptions, such as modifying a spell through song of the dead, but a generalized method to zap a nonhumanoid with charm person (for example) does not exist. What, specifically are you trying to do?

Iron Chef Medals!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Q 36
    If you put a creature that doesn't need to breathe into a bag of holding or something similar, and then you wild shape, what happens to the creature?
    Last edited by Kalkra; 2018-06-14 at 05:08 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

A 36 Nothing. Assuming you gave him an everburning torch and some magazines, he just hangs out in there, or if he's mindless, just waits until you turn your baseball cap around and deploy him in combat. I enjoy storing my undead in bags of holding or similar.

Unlike putting a bag of holding in a portable hole or handy haversack, the bag melding with your form when you wild shape (which is what I assume you're asking) does not count as being hidden in an extradimensional storage space. Also, since a bag of holding is not worn gear, but held, your gm will probably let you keep it in your paw or mouth when you wild shape.

Iron Chef Medals!