New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Master Transmogrifist 8 says: you can (Manifest Qualities CF)
    If you wanted to ask about that, you really should have, rather than asking just about the spell alone. (If this were a discussion rather than Q&A, you'd be guilty of some serious goalpost moving here, but since it *is* Q&A this is just kind of...impolite, I guess.)

Polymorph:So, how about the Necropolitan?..
    My post already answered that, just in part (b), in reference to Constructs rather than Undead. You retain your HP. Period. The special qualities set *the creature's* HP, not yours. Since you never get the creature's HP--you don't even get bonus HP for increasing your Con to the form's value--these features do *nothing* for you, even though you have them by way of Master Transmogrifist 8.

Spoiler: Aside giving a speculative alternate example
    Show
    Think of it like if polymorph didn't let you get any natural attacks, and you (say) took the form of a girallon, which gets a rake attack if it hits with two+ claws. You'd have the feature, but it wouldn't *do* anything because you'd have no natural attacks and thus no claw attacks to trigger it. If you had some other useful feature that required or benefited from the capacity to rake, then that would still be useful. But apart from that, this "no natural attacks" hypothetical variant spell would only give you a useless feature, *not* break it's rule description even if it seems nonsensical to have useless features.
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2018-10-15 at 10:23 AM.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Q307

If I use the Knockback feat from Races of Stone p. 142 to push someone back, do I still get the option to move with them, or does "you don't move with the enemy" mean "you can't move with the enemy"?

Relevent Text:
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockback
    Unlike standard bull rush attempts, knockback attempts don't provoke attacks of opportunity, and you don't move with the enemy you knock backward.
    LGBTitP

Quote Originally Posted by ViperMagnum357 View Post
    I think I would agree with Boggartbae

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 307

Can or can't doesn't enter into it. It says that you don't. Full stop.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #724

Q308
    Was the "precognition" special quality of tome dragons ever defined or clarified? If so, what is it?

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    Q308
    Was the "precognition" special quality of tome dragons ever defined or clarified? If so, what is it?
    A 308

Assuming you're referring to the Tome Dragon in Dragon Mag #343, I can't find any updates or errata, unless it was in the letters or comments column of a future magazine.

Zerth Cenobites have a class ability called Precognition (Ps), but seems unlikely this would the same ability for the dragon.

There's no RAW answer, but some online discussion assumes "Precognition" refers to the dragon's insight bonus to AC.

6. - Top - End - #726

Q 309

Do you need to maintain Line of Effect for a Duration:Concentration spell?

So after a successful Summon Elemental Monolith, can you run away or do you have to stay near the thing and be target practice for archers?

7. - Top - End - #727
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q310: I am in melee with an opponent. The opponent tries to move away from me. I get an attack of opportunity, and use it to make a trip attempt. The attempt is successful.
    Where does the opponent fall? In the square next to me, still in melee and within my threatened area, or in the next square, safe from further aoo unless I got reach? (which I'm not gonna do because it would be a game breaker at the optimization level I'm playing).

Q311: If I get an attack of opportunity on a caster who's casting, and I use it for a trip attempt, how does that affect the chances of interrupting the spell?
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ettin in the Playground

A 310

He drops in the square he started.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    An attack of opportunity "interrupts" the normal flow of actions in the round. If an attack of opportunity is provoked, immediately resolve the attack of opportunity, then continue with the next character’s turn (or complete the current turn, if the attack of opportunity was provoked in the midst of a character’s turn).
    A 311

Strangely being tripped does not interfere with casting. So unless the trip attempt also deals damage the acster can finish casting the spell unimpeded.

Q 312

Does a successful trip attempt count as making an opponent drop? Does it trigger (Great) Cleave?

9. - Top - End - #729

Q 313

Is there anything stopping you from casting multiple sonorous hums to maintain multiple duration:concentration spells simultaneously?

10. - Top - End - #730

Q314
    Is there any way for a level 13 human Druid (or Wizard) to know/prepare righteous might? I'd like to craft a prayer bead of karma without having to pay an NPC cleric 450 gp per day.
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2018-10-17 at 05:53 AM.

11. - Top - End - #731

Q314
    Is there any way for a level 13 human Druid (or Wizard) to know/prepare righteous might? I'd like to craft a prayer bead of karma without having to pay an NPC cleric 450 gp per day.
    Wizards can through a PrC called the Wyrm Wizard. Recaster is better but you need to be a changeling.

12. - Top - End - #732

Quote Originally Posted by RoboEmperor View Post
    Q 313

Is there anything stopping you from casting multiple sonorous hums to maintain multiple duration:concentration spells simultaneously?
    Yes: the fact that spell effects do not stack with themselves.

From the SRD: "In cases when two or more identical spells are operating in the same area or on the same target, but at different strengths, only the best one applies."

The rare exceptions are instantaneous spells or mind-controlling spells, or those that specify how multiple castings operate in their description. Otherwise, casting twice the same spell on the same subject just increase the duration to the longest one.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2018-10-17 at 11:53 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #733

Q 309

Do you need to maintain Line of Effect for a Duration:Concentration spell?

So after a successful Summon Elemental Monolith, can you run away or do you have to stay near the thing and be target practice for archers?
    No. Not even Sonorous Hum says you need to maintain Line of Effect so it's pretty clear you don't.

Q 313

Nope, go nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Yes: the fact that spell effects do not stack with themselves.

From the SRD: "In cases when two or more identical spells are operating in the same area or on the same target, but at different strengths, only the best one applies."

The rare exceptions are instantaneous spells or mind-controlling spells, or those that specify how multiple castings operate in their description. Otherwise, casting twice the same spell on the same subject just increase the duration to the longest one.
    This is incorrect. First of all the sonorous hums aren't at different strengths. They're both maintaining different spells so there is no intersection. Further more the rule you're quoting is dealing with spells that are doing the same thing. Like casting Bull's Strength twice, or polymorph twice, or multiple charm monster from the same spellcaster. By your logic a person can't cast Energy Immunity 5 times to be immune to all energy damage, which is clearly not true. If you have several castings of Energy Immunity all giving you immunity to the same energy type, that's when the stacking rule you quoted would apply.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

Q 315

Using tactical teleportation methods (dim door, psionic equivalent, etc.), is it possible to teleport onto a mount (ground or flying) while stationary, and while moving?

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Q 316

May be beyond the scope of this thread, but here goes: do templated true dragons, that change type, still advance by age category? Would a Half-Fey Copper Dragon still go through all the normal dragon stages from wyrmling through great wyrm?

16. - Top - End - #736

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 316

May be beyond the scope of this thread, but here goes: do templated true dragons, that change type, still advance by age category? Would a Half-Fey Copper Dragon still go through all the normal dragon stages from wyrmling through great wyrm?
    Depends on the template (definite no for undead and construct), but age categories is RACE not type so yes, they still advance by age category.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Q 317

When building a monster, can you advance a playable race by racial hit die? For example, can you have a CR5 Human Fighter 1/Humanoid HD 16?

18. - Top - End - #738

Quote Originally Posted by RaiKirah View Post
    Q 317

When building a monster, can you advance a playable race by racial hit die? For example, can you have a CR5 Human Fighter 1/Humanoid HD 16?
    Depends

All monsters have an advancement section in their stat block. It tells you the maximum racial HD it can have. Sometimes it says "by character class" which means it can't advance by increase in RHD.
    Humans I'm sure are "by character class" so no, you cannot.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 316

A. 316 maybe the augmented subtype shed some light on this. It splits the traits and features of a creature between its original type and the new type. So all we have to do is figure out if the age categories are a trait or a feature.

20. - Top - End - #740

Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    This is incorrect. First of all the sonorous hums aren't at different strengths. They're both maintaining different spells so there is no intersection. Further more the rule you're quoting is dealing with spells that are doing the same thing. Like casting Bull's Strength twice, or polymorph twice, or multiple charm monster from the same spellcaster. By your logic a person can't cast Energy Immunity 5 times to be immune to all energy damage, which is clearly not true. If you have several castings of Energy Immunity all giving you immunity to the same energy type, that's when the stacking rule you quoted would apply.
    You're the one who's incorrect. Energy Immunity precisely falls into the Same Effect with Differing Results category:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    The same spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. Usually the last spell in the series trumps the others. None of the previous spells are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell in the series lasts.
    Casting Energy Immunity 5 times will only result in the last spell being active. Thus no, you cannot gain immunity to all energies with several castings.

Spell effects don't stack with themselves. Period.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

21. - Top - End - #741

You're the one who's incorrect. Energy Immunity precisely falls into the Same Effect with Differing Results category:

Casting Energy Immunity 5 times will only result in the last spell being active. Thus no, you cannot gain immunity to all energies with several castings.

Spell effects don't stack with themselves. Period.
    Is immunity to fire the same effect as immunity to acid?

Energy Immunity falls under the same spell with differing effects category, not same effect with differing results. There are no rules stopping same spell with differing effects therefore they stack. Same effect means same effect, not spell. For example Alter Self and Baleful Polymorph are the same effect with differing results since they both polymorph you into a creature. Is immunity to ice the same effect as immunity to acid?

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Q 318

The Half-fey template (FF p.89) gains several SLAs. One is listed as "emotion". I cannot find this spell anywhere, and can't see any errata?

The spell is mentioned is other places in the FF as well (Bacchae & Kelpie).

Is this a 3.0 spell that no longer exists? Was it updated under a different name?

23. - Top - End - #743

A314
    Emotion was a single spell in 3.0 that had its effects broken up in 3.5. Some were eliminated, AFAICT most were turned into their own spells, like emotion (despair) became crushing despair and emotion (hope) became good hope.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Emotion was a single spell in 3.0 that had its effects broken up in 3.5. Some were eliminated, AFAICT most were turned into their own spells, like emotion (despair) became crushing despair and emotion (hope) became good hope.
    Ah, thank you kindly! I now found the spell on a 3.0 SRD:

Spoiler
    Show
    Emotion

Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
    Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 4
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Targets: All living creatures within a 15-ft. radius
    Duration: Concentration
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell arouses a single emotion of the character's choice in the subjects. The character can choose any one of the following versions:

Despair: The enchanted creatures suffer a –2 morale penalty to saving throws, attack rolls, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls. Emotion (despair) dispels emotion (hope).

Fear: The enchanted creatures flee from the character whenever they are in sight of the character. Emotion (fear) dispels emotion (rage).

Friendship: The enchanted creatures react more positively toward others. Their attitude shifts to the next more favorable reaction (hostile to unfriendly, unfriendly to indifferent, indifferent to friendly, or friendly to helpful). Creatures involved in combat, however, continue to fight back normally. Emotion (friendship) dispels emotion (hate).

Hate: The enchanted creatures react more negatively toward others. Their attitude shifts to the next less favorable reaction (helpful to friendly, friendly to indifferent, indifferent to unfriendly, or unfriendly to hostile). Emotion (hate) dispels emotion (friendship).

Hope: The enchanted creatures gain a +2 morale bonus to saving throws, attack rolls, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls. Emotion (hope) dispels emotion (despair).

Rage: The enchanted creatures gain a +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution scores, a +1 morale bonus on Will saves, and a –1 penalty to AC. They are compelled to fight heedless of danger. Emotion (rage) does not stack with barbarian rage or with itself. Emotion (rage) dispels emotion (fear).

25. - Top - End - #745
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q319
    Would True Ressurection work on fossilized remains?

Would Stone to Flesh?

26. - Top - End - #746

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Q319
    Would True Ressurection work on fossilized remains?

Would Stone to Flesh?
    Yes with a high enough caster level.

Yes. Depends on DM but it will either be a skeletal corpse, or just a mass of flesh.

27. - Top - End - #747

Q320

If I trigger an opponent's Contingency for Greater Teleport, can I counterspell the Greater Teleport?

28. - Top - End - #748

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller_Arc View Post
    Q320

If I trigger an opponent's Contingency for Greater Teleport, can I counterspell the Greater Teleport?
    A 320
    No. Counterspell only works on spells that are actually cast by a spellcaster before you.

A spell resulting of a triggered Contingency isn't cast at the moment. It already was a while ago, when the Contingency was set up, and its effect is held at bay until the condition is triggered.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

29. - Top - End - #749

Q 321

I'm trying to look at all the intricacies of holding the charge to a touch spell.

A: I thought for a while that another character touching a spellcaster holding the charge of a touch spell could trigger it; however, I can't find it spelled out anywhere, so I was probably wrong. So to make it clear: an enemy making a barehanded attack on a mage holding a charge, or an ally touching him (to heal, etc.) don't discharge the spell, right?

B: On the other hand, the caster using barehanded attacks can discharge the spell (noted in Complete Arcane, among others). What about a grappling attack? Is a caster holding a charge to a touch spell making a successful grapple discharge it?

C: Likewise, what if another creature manage to grapple the charge-holding mage? Does he still needs to make a touch attack, or is the discharge pretty much inevitable by that point?

D: I assume a spellcaster could also easily be holding the charge of a spell in a non-combat situation, like when shaking hand with an unwary victim. In this case, would it require no touch attack?

E: Making a touch attack with a charge-held spell is an attack action. However, what if a spellcaster is holding the charge of a positive touch spell with his free hand while fighting, to use it on himself when needed (like a cure spell when wounded)? What kind of action discharging a touch spell one oneself would be? A free action?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

30. - Top - End - #750

Q 321

I'm trying to look at all the intricacies of holding the charge to a touch spell.

A: I thought for a while that another character touching a spellcaster holding the charge of a touch spell could trigger it; however, I can't find it spelled out anywhere, so I was probably wrong. So to make it clear: an enemy making a barehanded attack on a mage holding a charge, or an ally touching him (to heal, etc.) don't discharge the spell, right?

B: On the other hand, the caster using barehanded attacks can discharge the spell (noted in Complete Arcane, among others). What about a grappling attack? Is a caster holding a charge to a touch spell making a successful grapple discharge it?

C: Likewise, what if another creature manage to grapple the charge-holding mage? Does he still needs to make a touch attack, or is the discharge pretty much inevitable by that point?

D: I assume a spellcaster could also easily be holding the charge of a spell in a non-combat situation, like when shaking hand with an unwary victim. In this case, would it require no touch attack?

E: Making a touch attack with a charge-held spell is an attack action. However, what if a spellcaster is holding the charge of a positive touch spell with his free hand while fighting, to use it on himself when needed (like a cure spell when wounded)? What kind of action discharging a touch spell one oneself would be? A free action?
    Quote Originally Posted by d20srd
    Holding the Charge

If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.
    A: Nope

B: Yup

C: Depends on DM, but I think they'd rule yes

D: No touch attack

E: Standard Action. You touch attack yourself.

I mean you can argue you touch yourself as a free action and whatnot but that's just trying to break action economy with rule lawyering, and is not RAW. Runes trigger on touch and the FCS errata says intentionally triggering a rune is a standard action even though it's not when you unintentionally trigger it.