New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

A 36

Animals need to breathe so he will suffocate in 10minutes.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Quote Originally Posted by someonenoone11 View Post
    A 36

Animals need to breathe so he will suffocate in 10minutes.
    Q 36If you put a creature that doesn't need to breath into a bag of holding or something similar, and then you wild shape, what happens to the creature?
    He specified the creature does not need to breathe.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #63

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    He specified the creature does not need to breathe.
    My bad. I thought wild shape would make you dependent on air but because it doesn't change your type I guess it doesn't.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by someonenoone11 View Post
    My bad. I thought wild shape would make you dependent on air but because it doesn't change your type I guess it doesn't.
    No, so in this scenario, the pc is a druid. He puts a zombie into the bag of holding, where it just chills. Then the pc uses wild shape. It has no effect on the zombie.

Also, wild shape does not change your type. It's based on alternate form in 3.5, not polymorph self, like was in 3.0.
    Last edited by Venger; 2018-06-14 at 05:11 PM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Q 37
    Can a Kaorti use liquid pain to pay for the XP cost of crafting things with resin?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

A 37 Only if the item it's being made into is magical.

Iron Chef Medals!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 35 There are certain exceptions, such as modifying a spell through song of the dead, but a generalized method to zap a nonhumanoid with charm person (for example) does not exist. What, specifically are you trying to do?
    I was mostly interested in ways to expand Enlarge Person / Reduce Person to other creature type. Size-changing magic is surprisingly rare -- you have to move straight to shapechanging to get something equivalent.

I was hoping for something like a metamagic feat. I guess the only known way is for spellcasters to research new spells with a broader effect.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    I was mostly interested in ways to expand Enlarge Person / Reduce Person to other creature type. Size-changing magic is surprisingly rare -- you have to move straight to shapechanging to get something equivalent.

I was hoping for something like a metamagic feat. I guess the only known way is for spellcasters to research new spells with a broader effect.
    The psionic equivalents are not limited by creature type. They can be placed in tattoos to affect other people.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q 38

Does bonus damage dealt via Sneak Attack/Maneuvers/Skirmish, etc become nonlethal if a merciful weapon did it?
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

A 38 Yes, yes it does.

Iron Chef Medals!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Q 39
    When multiplying, do we consider the distributive property? For example, say a character with Battle Jump and Leap Attack (two handed), both triggering, makes a charge, and power attacks for one. this would be 2x(damage+4x(1)), but do we then add the total, for 2x(damage+4) or do we deal 2xDamage+5x1?
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    Q 39
    When multiplying, do we consider the distributive property? For example, say a character with Battle Jump and Leap Attack (two handed), both triggering, makes a charge, and power attacks for one. this would be 2x(damage+4x(1)), but do we then add the total, for 2x(damage+4) or do we deal 2xDamage+5x1?
    A 039
    D&D multiplying uses its own rules: Multiplying Damage
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB, p134
    Multiplying Damage: Sometimes you multiply damage by some
    factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers)
    multiple times and total the results. Note: When you multiply
    damage more than once, each multiplier works off the original,
    unmultiplied damage (see Multiplying, page 304).
    Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal
    damage, such as that dealt by a sneak attack or the special ability of a
    flaming sword, are never multiplied.
    For example, Krusk the half-orc barbarian has a Strength bonus of
    +3. That means he gets a +3 bonus on damage rolls when using a
    longsword, a +4 bonus on damage when using a greataxe (two-
    handed), and a +1 bonus to damage when using a weapon in his off
    hand. His critical multiplier with a greataxe is ×3, so if he scores a
    critical hit with that weapon, he would roll 1d12+4 points of damage
    three times (the same as rolling 3d12+12).
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

13. - Top - End - #73

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q40. Does a rogue with the alternate class feature that trades sneak attack for bonus feats (as a fighter) qualify for fighter only feats such as weapon specialization?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

A 40

No. They still aren't a Fighter.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

A 040 additional info

Warblade, Bloodstorm Blade and Justice of Weald and Woe all gain "virtual fighter levels" to qualify for these type of feats.

In addition, some classes get Weapon Specialization as a bonus feat without needing to meet the prereqs, such as Favored Soul 12.

...not exactly what was asked, but handy to know, nonetheless.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Q41 Can you counterspell using a wand? Would things change if an eternal wand was used instead? For the purpose of this question, consider the character attempting to counterspell is holding a wand (or eternal wand) of Dispel Magic.
    Extended signature here. Contains: 2 avatars, 3 quotes, a doggo and his friends.

Kitchen Crashers: an adventure building Iron Chef - First edition running 20/04/18-18/05/18.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Q42
    Is a Gargoyle immune to Stinking Cloud?
    A gargoyle doesnt need to breathe, but it's still living?
    Last edited by Wacky89; 2018-06-17 at 08:16 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Q43 when scribing a scroll, can you have another caster supply the spell? Can you supply the spell from a wand?
    Last edited by Skevvix; 2018-06-17 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Broken tags

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky89 View Post
    Q42
    Is a Gargoyle immune to Stinking Cloud?
    A gargoyle doesnt need to breathe, but it's still living?
    A42 Gargoyles are not immune to stinking cloud. As monstrous humanoids, gargoyles are living creatures (albeit ones that do not need to eat, drink or breathe). As living creatures they're subjected to the nauseating effect of a stinking cloud. If you need an in-universe reason for this to happen other than RAW, you can describe the cloud as being irritating regardless of whether you breathe, touch, or otherwise come in contact with it.
    Extended signature here. Contains: 2 avatars, 3 quotes, a doggo and his friends.

Kitchen Crashers: an adventure building Iron Chef - First edition running 20/04/18-18/05/18.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skevvix View Post
    Q43 when scribing a scroll, can you have another caster supply the spell? Can you supply the spell from a wand?
    A43: It doesn't cost a spell, so no one has to supply a spell. It just has to be a spell that the scriber knows.

Here's the link explaining it better.

If the spell is in your spell knowledge bank, you can scribe it.

Q44: Does alcohol count as Poison? Especially in regards to races with immunity or resistance to poison?
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

A 41 Yes.

A 44 Yes.

Iron Chef Medals!

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
    A43: It doesn't cost a spell, so no one has to supply a spell. It just has to be a spell that the scriber knows.

Here's the link explaining it better.
    Here's a better link, general, but is the magic item creation rules which are referenced by scribe scroll.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

23. - Top - End - #83

Q 45

A: What happen when a spell that is normally dismissible by the caster is coupled with permanency?

I would guess it's no longer dismissible, but is it stated somewhere?

B: What happen when the beneficiary of a spell coupled with permanency is hit by a spell with opposite effects, where's it's usually described that it "counters and dispels" the other spell? (For examples, enlarge person vs. reduce person or vice-versa.)

Is the permanency-fied spell countered for the duration of the other spell? or fully dispelled?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Q 45

A: What happen when a spell that is normally dismissible by the caster is coupled with permanency?

I would guess it's no longer dismissible, but is it stated somewhere?
    It's not stated anywhere. Expect table variation.

B: What happen when the beneficiary of a spell coupled with permanency is hit by a spell with opposite effects, where's it's usually described that it "counters and dispels" the other spell? (For examples, enlarge person vs. reduce person or vice-versa.)

Is the permanency-fied spell countered for the duration of the other spell? or fully dispelled?
    Permanent spells have no special exemption from being dispelled outside of the one provided in the text of the spell. If you cast the Permanency on yourself, it can only be dispelled by a caster who is higher level than you were when you cast Permanency. Otherwise, it can be dispelled as normal.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2018-06-17 at 03:56 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q46
    Would Cure Disease or Regeneration eliminate excess growths? Regenerate clearly regrows missing bits but would it cure the pot belly of an ex-obese person or scars?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Q46
    Would Cure Disease or Regeneration eliminate excess growths? Regenerate clearly regrows missing bits but would it cure the pot belly of an ex-obese person or scars?
    A 46

Regenerate, no.

Remove Disease, maybe. "Obesity" isn't an in-game disease, as such, it's up to DMs to include it in the roster of things curable by Remove Disease, and how exactly the spell works with this new disease.

Q 47

Is there any Illithid/Mind-flayer race other than the one described in the Monster Manual? Specifically, a race related to Psionics?

A 47

Answering my own question, the XPH has a Psionic variant for the Mind Flayer, which manifests as a 9th level Psion.
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2018-06-18 at 07:55 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 48

Persistent Spell [Metamagic] feat says "The persistent spell must have a personal range or a fixed range."

Does 'Range: Touch' count as 'a fixed range'?
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

A 48 Yes, it does.

Iron Chef Medals!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 48 - Contention

This has been discussed ad nauseam. Some people argue "touch" isn't a fixed range because a creature's reach is variable. Others argue this has no effect. There have been 1000 posts about this, and the only consensus is to ask your DM. The RAW Q&A thread, however, is not the place for this discussion if you want to have it for the 1001st time.
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2018-06-18 at 01:10 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    A 48 - Contention

This has been discussed ad nauseam. Some people argue "touch" isn't a fixed range because a creature's reach is variable. Others argue this has no effect. There have been 1000 posts about this, and the only consensus is to ask your DM. The RAW Q&A thread, however, is not the place for this discussion if you want to have it for the 1001st time.
    A 48 I agree this is beyond the scope of the simple raw thread if you're going to bring that into it. You or Arkhios are welcome to make your own separate thread to argue about it.

Iron Chef Medals!