New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

A 77 Channel charge. Lost empires of Faerun p7
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post

Q 77

What's the name of the feat that allows for one to use a spell slot to fuel a wand (essentially turning wands into cheaper knowstones)?
    Wand Bonding, from City of Stormreach.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

A 76

Your character level.
    Re 76: Your quote is specifically about familiars, not animal companions. Note, that I was asking about an animal companion, not a familiar. Besides, that was part of the reason why I'm asking it. I know how to handle it for a familiar, but not how I would handle it for an animal companion. Animal Companion ≠ Familiar. Share Spells for an animal companion does *not* specify the nature of the spells which apply to it, so they could just as well be from wizard spell list as from druid spell list.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-06-28 at 02:51 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Re 76: Your quote is specifically about familiars, not animal companions. Note, that I was asking about an animal companion, not a familiar. Besides, that was part of the reason why I'm asking it. I know how to handle it for a familiar, but not how I would handle it for an animal companion. Animal Companion ≠ Familiar. Share Spells for an animal companion does *not* specify the nature of the spells which apply to it, so they could just as well be from wizard spell list as from druid spell list.
    Re:Re 76:
    Ah, sorry, misread your question. Here's the closest I can find:
    Quote Originally Posted by srd
    Animal Companion Basics: Use the base statistics for a creature of the companion’s kind, but make the following changes.

Class Level: The character’s druid level. The druid’s class levels stack with levels of any other classes that are entitled to an animal companion for the purpose of determining the companion’s abilities and the alternative lists available to the character.

Bonus HD: Extra eight-sided (d8) Hit Dice, each of which gains a Consitution modifier, as normal. Remember that extra Hit Dice improve the animal companion’s base attack and base save bonuses. An animal companion’s base attack bonus is the same as that of a druid of a level equal to the animal’s HD. An animal companion has good Fortitude and Reflex saves (treat it as a character whose level equals the animal’s HD). An animal companion gains additional skill points and feats for bonus HD as normal for advancing a monster’s Hit Dice.
    So, by all appearences, since an Animal Companion doesn't have any special kind of exception like a Familiar does, you'd use the Companion's HD normally.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Re:Re 76:
    Ah, sorry, misread your question. Here's the closest I can find:

So, by all appearences, since an Animal Companion doesn't have any special kind of exception like a Familiar does, you'd use the Companion's HD normally.
    Still not sure if that answers to the core of my question. Let me rephrase it:

If I cast Tenser's Transformation on my animal companion, which one does the 'your character level' in the spell's description refer to: the character who casts the spell or the targeted creature with Share Spells ability? Note that the creature does not cast the spell itself. As is, personal spells are intended to be cast on yourself, but, to me, Share Spells seems to create a corner case loophole for which I couldn't find a clear answer to.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-06-29 at 01:02 AM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Does the alternate class feature Spiritual Totem: Bear's Improved Grab work on weapon attacks? Only Unarmed strikes? How does it function, it only links the actual improved grab ability which states it should be noted in the creature's entry which attack qualifies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falontani View Post
    Does the alternate class feature Spiritual Totem: Bear's Improved Grab work on weapon attacks? Only Unarmed strikes? How does it function, it only links the actual improved grab ability which states it should be noted in the creature's entry which attack qualifies.
    A 78

It works as the standard Improved Grab ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manual
    If a creature with this special attack hits with a melee weapon (usually a claw or bite attack), it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. No initial touch attack is required.

Unless otherwise noted, improved grab works only against opponents at least one size category smaller than the creature. The creature has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the improved grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a -20 penalty on grapple checks, but is not considered grappled itself; the creature does not lose its Dexterity bonus to AC, still threatens an area, and can use its remaining attacks against other opponents.

A successful hold does not deal any extra damage unless the creature also has the constrict special attack. If the creature does not constrict, each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals the damage indicated for the attack that established the hold. Otherwise, it deals constriction damage as well (the amount is given in the creature’s descriptive text).

When a creature gets a hold after an improved grab attack, it pulls the opponent into its space. This act does not provoke attacks of opportunity. It can even move (possibly carrying away the opponent), provided it can drag the opponent’s weight.
    When you hit a creature with a melee weapon, you can start a grapple as a free action if they're at least one size smaller than you. You can choose to take -20 on grapple checks to not be considered grappled yourself. If you successfully grapple them, they are pulled into your space.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Still not sure if that answers to the core of my question. Let me rephrase it:

If I cast Tenser's Transformation on my animal companion, which one does the 'your character level' in the spell's description refer to: the character who casts the spell or the targeted creature with Share Spells ability? Note that the creature does not cast the spell itself. As is, personal spells are intended to be cast on yourself, but, to me, Share Spells seems to create a corner case loophole for which I couldn't find a clear answer to.
    Whenever a spell description says "you", "your", etc., it is referring to the caster.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q79 What is the least resisted (immunities, ect) energy type?
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lylsyly View Post
    Q79 What is the least resisted (immunities, ect) energy type?
    Sonic, followed by acid.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q80 How does movement with multiple modes/speeds work? If have a 30 ft move speed and a 60ft fly speed, and move 15 feet then begin to fly, what is the farthest I'm allowed to move?

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nich_Critic View Post
    Q80 How does movement with multiple modes/speeds work? If have a 30 ft move speed and a 60ft fly speed, and move 15 feet then begin to fly, what is the farthest I'm allowed to move?
    A80 (tentative)

I believe the 15 ft. movement on ground counts against the total fly speed, so you could still fly 45 ft. afterwards. But I'm not entirely sure of this.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

A80 (tentative)

I believe the 15 ft. movement on ground counts against the total fly speed, so you could still fly 45 ft. afterwards. But I'm not entirely sure of this.
    This is correct
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

14. - Top - End - #164

Q 81

My question is: can you retrain a feat that is its own prerequisite?

Okay, that sounds weird, so let’s develop a bit. The retraining rules for feats specify...

Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handbook II
    If the new feat has prerequisites, not only must your character meet them in his current state, but you must also be able to show that he met them at the time you chose the previous feat.
    So, early in his career, a character has taken a feat with the slot at level 3, let’s say Deflect Arrows. Later on, he gains Deflect Arrows as a bonus feat. Having now two redundant feats, he decides to retrain the first on his next level up.

Now, can he choose the exchange to be for a feat with Deflect Arrows as a prerequisite (like Spinning Defense)?

He fulfills the condition of meeting the prerequisite in his current state, thanks to the bonus feat. He also met the prerequisite at level 3, since he could have taken the feat at the time save for the fact he didn’t have enough feat slots. However, the feat slot used for the exchange is the one that provides said prerequisite, meaning he couldn’t have taken Spinning Defense at the time with this one slot for lack of Deflect Arrows...
    Last edited by St Fan; 2018-06-30 at 03:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Falontani View Post
    This is correct
    Q80 follow up I have one player in the game saying that the answer should be 15, since as a move action you're allowed to move up to your speed, which is 30. He would also claim that if you began the move by flying, you could move 60 ft whether some of it was walking or not.

Another interprets speed to be the rate at which you can move in one move action, so if you mix modes, you need to account for the different rate of speed. If you move 15 ft on land of your 30, you've used up half your movement, so you are only entitled to half your fly movement, which is 30ft of 60. (As an aside, I believe this is roughly how it works if you do something like tumble or swim without a swim speed. In effect, since the fly speed is twice the ground speed, you move 10 ft for each 5ft of movement spent, just like when you tumble at half speed, you move 5 ft for each 10ft spent. I don't know if that should affect the argument at all)

Are either of those positions defensible?
    Last edited by Nich_Critic; 2018-06-30 at 12:46 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Q82: The half-ogre in races of destiny has the giant type. Armor pricing indicates "humanoids" vs "non-humanoids". I've always read this pricing as being sort of generic term for humanoid in which even an ogre would be basically humanoid shaped. Is this false? Does the armor for a half-ogre cost X4 for being large and for him not being a humanoid? What about a half-dragon human?
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2018-06-30 at 06:38 PM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

A 80 There is no definitive RAW answer to this. It is beyond the scope of the thread.

A 81 This is specifically disallowed. You didn't qualify at level 3, so you can't take it.

A 82 Yes, it's using the term "humanoid" in the colloquial sense, meaning bipedal with 2 arms, 2 legs, one or more heads and a tail. You don't pay extra
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Q83

Weapons of Legacy: How do you tell which Legacy Item Abilities are Least, Lesser, or Greater?

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

A 83 It's in the index starting on p 188.

Iron Chef Medals!

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Q83 Addendum

I meant for the existing Weapons of Legacy in Chapter 3, not for the purpose of creating new ones. Or is the only way to determine which abilities are Least/Lesser/Greater really to consult the Ability Menus? What about abilities that aren't in the menus?

(This is probably a dumb obvious question but I've scanned the whole book for an explanation and can't find one. I suspect it's as simple as "abilities unlocked at 5-10 are Least, 11-15 are Lesser, and 16-20 are Greater", but I can't find it saying that anywhere.)
    Last edited by Malimar; 2018-06-30 at 08:46 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Q84 So let's say I'm a character with ranks in Tumble and wearing medium or heavy armour (or carrying a heavy load), can I still make use of abilities like Drunken Master's Stagger:

Stagger (Ex): By tripping, stumbling, and staggering, a drunken master of 2nd level or higher can make a charge attack that surprises his opponents. This ability has two beneficial aspects: First, the charge need not be in a straight line, even though the character can still move up to twice his speed. Second, if a drunken master makes a DC 15 Tumble check before beginning a charge, his movement through threatened squares provokes no attacks of opportunity.
    Or does the prohibition against using Tumble while speed is reduced carry over to using the skill for class features?
    Last edited by Sir_Chivalry; 2018-06-30 at 09:05 PM.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

A 83 Yeah, you've got it basically figured out

A 84 You could use the first part of the ability, but not the second, since you can't use tumble in bulky armor. Activating stagger still necessitates hitting a tumble dc, which is using the skill.

Iron Chef Medals!

23. - Top - End - #173

BardGuy

Q85 A

Can the tarrasque die by drowning?
    The tarrasque's regeneration ability states that no form of attack can deal lethal damage to it.
    However, the description of regeneration explicitly states that it does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation. Drowning is not a form of attack - merely a hazard of having lungs - and one might say that adjusting its health directly to 0, then -1, and then -10 is not necessarily "dealing damage" to it.

Q85 B

If drowning can't "kill" a tarrasque, would it at least still be reduced to -1 HP and unable to recover via its regeneration ability?
    Last edited by Vaern; 2018-06-30 at 11:05 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

A 85a/b No. This is an effect that would kill it instantly, so in the third round after failing its save, it would take 868 points of nonlethal damage as described in its regeneration ability.

Iron Chef Medals!

25. - Top - End - #175
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q 86:

Is there anything preventing weapons from being enchanted with non-weapon enchantments, such as +Skill, Ability bonus, AC bonus, etc?

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luckmann View Post
    Q 86:

Is there anything preventing weapons from being enchanted with non-weapon enchantments, such as +Skill, Ability bonus, AC bonus, etc?
    A 86:
    No, but there is also not anything that allows for it, so they can't, by default.

For your examples, 'weapon' or 'held' isn't even a possibility for the Common Magic Item Effects table.

27. - Top - End - #177

DwarfClericGuy

Q87: The Luckstealer's (Races of the Wild) "Curse of the Fatespurned" is a spell-like ability. Would the roll to overcome spell resistance while attempting to use the curse be D20 + total caster level or D20 + the level of luckstealer?
    Last edited by Sloanzilla; 2018-07-01 at 03:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanzilla View Post
    Q87: The Luckstealer's (Races of the Wild) "Curse of the Fatespurned" is a spell-like ability. Would the roll to overcome spell resistance while attempting to use the curse be D20 + total caster level or D20 + the level of luckstealer?
    I don't see anything saying that spell resistance applies to it at all. But the general rule is that you use the caster level of the effect to determine whether that effect can beat spell resistance, and the caster level of a spell-like ability is equal to your character level unless otherwise specified.

29. - Top - End - #179

DwarfClericGuy

OK thanks. All I had was that it was a spell like ability (so SR often applies) and that the SAVE (not spell resistance), is based on the prestige class level. If spell resistance were based on prestige class, however, you'd never be able to overcome it.

(Luckstealers lose one caster level upon entry).

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q88
    For the purpose of Miracle replicating spells, would sanctified and or corrupt spells count as being on the cleric list or on the "any other list".