New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Q113

If a duskblade is wielding a wand and activates the feat Wandstrike can he use arcane channeling to cast one of his spells that he possesses?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

A 113 Both consume your standard action, so this is not normally possible.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Q 114

Price check please (I'm the DM, just checking my sums): custom wondrous item; Restoration 1/day, command word activation, slot-less. CL 7th. 4 * 7 * 1800 / 5 * 2 = 20,160gp. (If it was made by a Healer, then CL 5th, 3 * 5 * 1800 / 2 * 2 = 10,800gp).

What I'm stumped on is how the 100gp material component cost for restoration adds to this? Do I just add a flat 100gp for a total of 20,260gp (10,900gp)? I know for wands you multiply the material component cost by charges...

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

A 114

For a daily limit item, you treat it as though it had 50 charges, so 5000gp in this case. All your other math is correct.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

5. - Top - End - #245
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Q 115

if you are playing a humanoid, and you permanently advance your size 1 catgory larger, do you follow the rules for size increases in the MM for advancing monsters, or is there another source to use as a player?
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2018-07-09 at 09:42 PM.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

6. - Top - End - #246
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 115

It depends on the rules for what you are using to increase your size, that table is generally for advancing via RHD, but there are a few things that reference it for stats (most famously half-minotaur I believe, which ends up giving +16 Str because of it, +8 from the template and a further +8 from size adjustment). If you use a permanancied enlarge person you would only get the benefits outlined by the spell, other sources may have differing rules on what you get.
    Last edited by zergling.exe; 2018-07-09 at 09:43 PM.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Q 116
    What happens if a phaerimm takes the Blend Into Shadows feat, specifically with regards to the one additional use of the darkness spell-like ability. It can use it's racial spellcasting to cast darkness as a spell-like ability, but does it get an extra spell slot which it can use only for darkness, or what?

8. - Top - End - #248

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    Q 116
    What happens if a phaerimm takes the Blend Into Shadows feat, specifically with regards to the one additional use of the darkness spell-like ability. It can use it's racial spellcasting to cast darkness as a spell-like ability, but does it get an extra spell slot which it can use only for darkness, or what?
    A 116

A phaerimm doesn't have darkness as an SLA, so it doesn't qualify for the feat, and gains no benefit from it.
    Last edited by Blue Jay; 2018-07-10 at 06:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249

Devil

A phaerimm prepares it's spells as SLAs. If it prepares darkness, now it has darkness as an SLA.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Q 117

Weird one, bear with me: is there any listed time for how long it takes to gain an acquired template, specifically Greenbound (LEoF)?

Asking if a construct could have the Greater Humanoid Essence spell (RoE) cast on it, and acquire the template in the 1 round/caster level duration of the spell?

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 117

Weird one, bear with me: is there any listed time for how long it takes to gain an acquired template, specifically Greenbound (LEoF)?

Asking if a construct could have the Greater Humanoid Essence spell (RoE) cast on it, and acquire the template in the 1 round/caster level duration of the spell?
    If it's not listed in the template's entry, then it's not listed, period. There's no general rule for it.

12. - Top - End - #252

Q 118

Is there any way for an Artificer to emulate or otherwise get around skill rank requirements for item creation? For example, the 5 ranks of Jump for Boots of Striding and Springing.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q119

Which book and page number contains the ability for a character to gain the Negotiator feat by doing work for a guildmaster or government official?
    Sorcerer advice:
    Learn to play wizard.
    Monk advice:
    A Treatise on Monks
    A new infinite CL loop:
    The Meh-Gus
    Don't let crafters exceed WBL, it's the rules.
    How to parse Master Spellthief using the feat's text and PHB

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sleven View Post
    Q119

Which book and page number contains the ability for a character to gain the Negotiator feat by doing work for a guildmaster or government official?
    A 119 partial

I can find a number of classes/PrCs that give Negotiator as a selectable bonus feat, but not much in the way of guilds or affiliations. The closest I could find was as follows:

The Character Background optional rules in Unearthed Arcana suggest some feats based on background (Negotiator is an option depending on the background selected); with this optional rule, you can add background feats using normal clas bonus feats (for example, a Wizard with a Government background could select Negotiator for his 5th level bonus feat instead of a metamagic feat).

The only mention of Negotiator I could find in regards to guilds or affiliation was in the Guildmaster associated feats section in DMG2: but it is a req, rather than a bonus feat. The Guildmaster feat itself can be awarded by the DM as a bonus feat at their discretion, but that doesn't grant the Negotiator feat in any way.

Long story short: if there is an affiliation somewhere that grants Negotiator as a bonus feat, I was unable to find it.

Side note - these are the group affiliations I was able to find that provide bonus feats:
    • Blackwheel Company (CoS): one Fighter bonus feat.
    • Golden Helm Guild (PHB2): Craft Magic Arms & Armor
    • House Affiliation (DotU): Leadership
    • Wintervein Dwarves (PHB2): Weapon Focus (Dwarven Waraxe), Weapon Focus (Dwarven Urgrosh), Improved Critical (Dwarven Waraxe) and Improved Critical (Dwarven Urgrosh)

15. - Top - End - #255
    Firbolg in the Playground

A117

RAW it looks like "These energies transform hapless creatures nearby into plantlike beings of great strength." is all we get. No mention of duration so the transformation takes as long or short a time as your narrative requires.

16. - Top - End - #256

DruidGuy

Q 120

if you are taking a racial substitution level for a class, can you also combine that with a variant of the same class and get both benefits?

(( i may be answering my own question here, but if they both replace 1 of the things in the base class, but the racial level ALSO replaces something else, would you then be able to take it anyways? I don't think you can replace the same thing twice..))

Q 121

in respect to the above, if you are taking multiple levels, if you take a variant level does that continue the progression of the 'base' class or does it count as a new level entirely? To clarify, let's say you are taking 5 levels of fighter, but you want to take 1 level of thug, does thug progress fighter, or is it considered a new and seperate class as far as all the pertinent things go (bab/saves) to further clarify, if you took fighter 2, thug 1, fighter 2, would you end up as fighter 5, or fighter 4/thug 1 ?
    Show

I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

A 120 You have indeed answered your own question:

If you give up ability A to get ability B from a racial sub level, you no longer have A. You can't give up A again to get ability C from a variant or acf of this class.

A 121 No. Once you take a variant such as thug fighter, that's the kind of fighter you are henceforth. You cannot be a fighter/thug. This is what sets variant classes apart from acfs, which you can take or not take at each level as they become available.

In your example, your character would either be able to take normal fighter or thug fighter. Once he made the choice, he could not dabble in the other.
    Last edited by Venger; 2018-07-11 at 04:58 AM.

Iron Chef Medals!

18. - Top - End - #258

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post

A 121 No. Once you take a variant such as thug fighter, that's the kind of fighter you are henceforth. You cannot be a fighter/thug. This is what sets variant classes apart from acfs, which you can take or not take at each level as they become available.

In your example, your character would either be able to take normal fighter or thug fighter. Once he made the choice, he could not dabble in the other.
    on redirect:

if i'm taking a racial substitution level for fighter, can i turn that fighter into the thug variant or not?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    A phaerimm prepares it's spells as SLAs. If it prepares darkness, now it has darkness as an SLA.
    A 116 Addendum

No, they're still spells, they just lack components in the way an SLA lacks components.

The language there says they use spells as if they were SLAs, it doesn't say their count as SLAs for things like prereqs or feat benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post

Technically not correct. UA does have rules for multiclassing between variants, and leaves the decision of whether to allow it up to the DM. It gives the example of a bard/bardic sage, and says you get two separate casting progressions, not a single stacking progression; but other non-spellcasting class features should stack.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Orc in the Playground

Q122

How does at will wild shape from the Divine Minion template interact with "Wild Feats"?
    Can you use them as much as you please, or do you not have a wild shape to spend?
    Do levels in druid stack with divine minion for wild shape druid level purposes?

21. - Top - End - #261

NinjaGuy

Q 123

Shaper of Form's Renaissance ability states you 'cannot change type' when you use the ability to change race. Does this mean you cannot choose a race with a different type, or that your type doesn't change regardless of the race you change?

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    on redirect:

if i'm taking a racial substitution level for fighter, can i turn that fighter into the thug variant or not?
    DM discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky89 View Post
    Q122

How does at will wild shape from the Divine Minion template interact with "Wild Feats"?
    Can you use them as much as you please, or do you not have a wild shape to spend?
    Unlimited uses of wild shape means unlimited uses of wild feats.

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky89 View Post
    Do levels in druid stack with divine minion for wild shape druid level purposes?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiKirah View Post
    Q 123

Shaper of Form's Renaissance ability states you 'cannot change type' when you use the ability to change race. Does this mean you cannot choose a race with a different type, or that your type doesn't change regardless of the race you change?
    Yes.

23. - Top - End - #263

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiKirah
    Q 123

Yes.
    Troacctid - which statement we're you saying yes to? I worded it as an either or question by mistake.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RaiKirah View Post
    Troacctid - which statement we're you saying yes to? I worded it as an either or question by mistake.
    That was to your question. Did you have a follow-up?

25. - Top - End - #265
    Orc in the Playground

Q 124
    How exactly does Reincarnate work?
    Do you keep everything from your original race or do you have to figure out "physical" and "mental" traits?
    What do you get from the race you get reincarnated into?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

A 121 again
    As long as you don't try to give away something you've already given away through thug, then yes. If so, then no.

A 123
    It means you cannot choose a race with a different type. If you are a human, then you are restricted to choosing from other humanoid races. You could not choose an aberration as a race, for example.

A 124 All of these questions are addressed in the spell text. What part of it is unclear?
    You apply the modifiers based on the chart, but keep your own ability scores. You lose your old body's traits and gain the ones from your new body.

Iron Chef Medals!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Pixie in the Playground

Q125 . Is there any way to adapt the Gunslinger class to the 3.5? My DM wants me to play it but we are struggling at balancing and adapting to the version. I'm building the character with only the 3.5 main book for now.
    Last edited by lucasddln1; 2018-07-11 at 10:27 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lucasddln1 View Post
    Q125 . Is there any way to adapt the Gunslinger class to the 3.5? My DM wants me to play it but we are struggling at balancing and adapting to the version. I'm building the character with only the 3.5 main book for now.
    A 125

There are obviously not any rules for adapting Pathfinder classes to use in D&D 3.5. If you want any help on this topic, the appropriate thing to do is to start a separate thread on the subject.

This is a D&D 3.5 rules Q&A thread.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Q 126: Do templated kobolds qualify for Dragonwrought?

Dragon-Wrought Prerequisites: Kobold, 1st level only

Can you have a mineral warrior dragonwrought kobold? What about a half-celestial dragonwrought kobold?

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Q 127

Question about racial paragon Classes (UA):

A character can multiclass freely between standard character classes, prestige classes for which he or she qualifies, and the character's appropriate racial paragon class.
    ...does this include classes that have multi-classing restrictions, like Monk or Paladin? i.e. Could I be a Paladin 2/Human Paragon 3, then take more Paladin levels?

Like a member of any other class, a paladin may be a multiclass character, but multiclass paladins face a special restriction. A paladin who gains a level in any class other than paladin may never again raise her paladin level, though she retains all her paladin abilities.