Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: How well does the Use the Force skill work in Star Wars Saga?

Quick update on above post.

I've decided to try and update the existing rules so the game can be run largely as is with little modifications to stat blocks etc.

The lions share is done. Major changes include:

• Slight tweaking of BAB and Skill scaling issues,
    • All Talent Trees have 5 talents, and all classes have 4 Trees to pick from;
    • There are 6 general Force Talent trees (Control, Sense, Alter, Light side, Dark side and Shaman - the later representing primitive Force users like Feulcians and Dathomiiri)
    • Most Talents are the same, some have been combined for greater effect, some have been removed, some have been added, no more dead duck Talents
    • CT sniping and stacking Talents have been reduced or changed to prevent CT sniper builds from being too dominant, Every class has Talents that give it a more clearly defined role like Striker, Tank, Skill monkey, Leader etc;
    • Completing a Talent Tree by geting all 5 talents provides a completion bonus to BAB and Skills which fixes higher level scaling issues,
    • Full round actions are now Standard actions,
    • A few feat changes and additions,
    • Slight changes to Starship combat,
    • Solo creature encounter rules,
    • All classes get 3 Second winds/ day but no more than 1/ encounter,
    • Destiny and Force Point overhaul,

and a few other tweaks.

Ill be formatting over the next few days, and will post what I have then.

2. - Top - End - #62

Cool.

Did you decide to use the 5e framework, or are you sticking with the d20 conventions?

Using terms like BAB make me think the latter, but I keep hope alive in my heart and trust in the Force.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Cool.

Did you decide to use the 5e framework, or are you sticking with the d20 conventions?

Using terms like BAB make me think the latter, but I keep hope alive in my heart and trust in the Force.
    5e certainly has its advantages, but trying to convert d20 into 5e... you would almost be better off building something new which is 5e framework from the ground up rather than trying to fit Saga's square peg into 5e's round hole.

Though - I have nothing against d20 either. Both core systems simply have their own pros & cons, and d20's usual balance issues aren't bad in Saga aside from the aforementioned Use the Force at low levels and a few niche build combos.
    Last edited by CharonsHelper; 2018-07-16 at 07:39 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CharonsHelper View Post
    5e certainly has its advantages, but trying to convert d20 into 5e... you would almost be better off building something new which is 5e framework from the ground up rather than trying to fit Saga's square peg into 5e's round hole.

Though - I have nothing against d20 either. Both core systems simply have their own pros & cons, and d20's usual balance issues aren't bad in Saga aside from the aforementioned Use the Force at low levels and a few niche build combos.
    And this is kind of where I landed ultimately.

The cons of a 5E style conversion include the work needed once the game starts to re-stat everything to fit.

By retaining the scaling of SWSE, but simply smoothing over the problem areas (low level skill bonuses vs attack rolls, and high level defences) you can keep most of the system intact (including NPCs, vehicles, talents etc).

5. - Top - End - #65

ClericGuy

Thinking out loud here.

Wouldnt the easiest way of fixing the problem of high level attack rolls/ skill checks V defences (where it becomes impossible to hit barring a natural 20) be to simply reduce Heroic Bonus to Defense scores to 3/4 Heroic level (Cleric BAB)?

That also brings feats like double attack and triple attack into play more.

A reasonably optimized Solider 20 [armored defense line] optimizing defences comes out with a Reflex defense of 10 [Base] + 2 [Dex, limited by Armor max Dex] +4 [Class] + 1 [Improved defences] + 1 [Dodge] +1 [Martial Arts] +15 [Heroic] + 5 [Armor] + 1 [Zabrak] or around 35.

Fort defense is also around 35. Will Defense comes out at around 30

With Skill (focused) and full BAB (presuming +5 to hit from Ability score) you're looking at +25 to hit.

Thats a 50 percent chance to hit Reflex and Fort. Youre only at 25 percent with full BAB and second attack feat, or if a 3/4 BAB class, or if using a Trained (but not focused) skill.

Cover/ Prone (+5), Fighting defensively (+2/5 if trained in Acrobatics) and other talents and feats can easily increase Reflex defense higher.

Heck; that seems to work perfectly.