New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VIII: insAIne in the mAInfrAIme

Battleship, or Battlesuit?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    There are lots of F'sherl-Ganni around -- at least 45billion -- and at least some of them will think they can make a separate peace.
    Why would that be more likely among the F'Sherl-Ganni than any other species? If anything, it would be *less* likely, because they were tricked by the Pa'anuri and thus ought to be unlikely to trust them again. The only reason they had any dealings with the Pa'anuri in the first place was because they believed it was the only way to save the Milky Way from destruction--they're not some sort of evil for the lulz race who worked with them for nefarious reasons.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I find Elf's expression on this page more than a little worrisome.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

4. - Top - End - #904
    Barbarian in the Playground

Joke Elf hated Petey for naming her project before she gets to name it.
    Last edited by HouseRules; 2019-05-25 at 12:33 PM.
    Level Point System 5E
    Poker Roll

Tier 1 Master of All
    Tier 2 Lightning Bruiser
    Tier 3 Lethal Joke Character
    Tier 4 Master of None
    Tier 5 Crippling Overspecialization
    Tier 6 Joke Character

5. - Top - End - #905
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Why would that be more likely among the F'Sherl-Ganni than any other species?
    Simply because, unlike the other species, they probably have some idea how to contact them.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Troll in the Playground

OK, I found this annoying when they did it in 2010--a gas giant cannot become a star. If you somehow managed to compress it enough for fusion to start, it would blow itself apart because it doesn't have enough gravity to counteract the pressure from the fusion reaction.
    Unless the thing that kickstarted the fusion reaction was actively holding it at fusion pressures.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

7. - Top - End - #907

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Unless the thing that kickstarted the fusion reaction was actively holding it at fusion pressures.
    And that looks like that's what was happening. Kudos to Howard for actually explaining it!

8. - Top - End - #908
    Orc in the Playground

I see where this is going. "We had to kill the galaxy in order to save it."

9. - Top - End - #909
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Interesting. The battleship/power suit is still functional. Or at least it's shields are since the blast is clearly being deflected on this page. I wonder if that can be of use.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

10. - Top - End - #910
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Interesting. The battleship/power suit is still functional. Or at least it's shields are since the blast is clearly being deflected on this page. I wonder if that can be of use.
    Quite possibly it can be investigated for new technologies as well as to research targeted counters for subsequent battles.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

11. - Top - End - #911

BlackDragon

Given how close it is to the pseudonova, I would be astonished if it survives for long, even if its shields are still intact--there's a heck of a lot of energy being released here.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Given how close it is to the pseudonova, I would be astonished if it survives for long, even if its shields are still intact--there's a heck of a lot of energy being released here.
    There's a heck of a lot of energy, but compared to a real supernova, or even a nova, not that much. There won't be anything after the initial few seconds of blast.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    There won't be anything after the initial few seconds of blast.
    Likely literally.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post
    Likely literally.
    Planets will be fine, 99.9 of the mass of a planet is over five miles below the surface. Stuff on the nearside of planets will be roasted. Stuff on the far side of planets will probably be hit with some severe atmospheric effects, on the exact centre of the far side that might or might not be that much, some of the atmosphere is going to get blown clear away, if the air pressure drops significantly as a result that will be bad.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-05-29 at 08:52 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Planets will be fine, 99.9 of the mass of a planet is over five miles below the surface. Stuff on the nearside of planets will be roasted. Stuff on the far side of planets will probably be hit with some severe atmospheric effects, on the exact centre of the far side that might or might not be that much, some of the atmosphere is going to get blown clear away, if the air pressure drops significantly as a result that will be bad.
    Living beings, however, are known to be rather fragile to even short term (and, at the cosmic level, really quite small) fluctuations in pressure and temperature.

However, the comic seems to be playing this relatively straight -- there is a slow moving blast front moving towards the planet that probably can be dealt with by the technology the assembled militaries have to offer, and the thing they fear the most right now is a planetwide civilian panic.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post

However, the comic seems to be playing this relatively straight -- there is a slow moving blast front moving towards the planet that probably can be dealt with by the technology the assembled militaries have to offer, and the thing they fear the most right now is a planetwide civilian panic.
    I'd agree on how manageable the issue is, if Pete hadn't just put a soul-stealing gun up as a mantlepiece. That gun needs to be fired, and we've just been shown a likely target.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    I'd agree on how manageable the issue is, if Pete hadn't just put a soul-stealing gun up as a mantlepiece. That gun needs to be fired, and we've just been shown a likely target.
    Here's hoping for the nearly-always-needed subversion of Chekhov's "law".
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, if he used it right now it'd feel rather rushed imo.

This is a relatively slow, low scale situation that could be sorted out by teraporting a planetary shield like the ones he uses in Andromeda in to protect the planet until the problem passes, or by mass teraporting the population out. Even if it takes some time to turn off the TAD fields I can't imagine it would take 50 hours to do so.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Bugbear in the Playground

Perhaps Petey is asking for a decision concerning firing on the TAD facilities. Which may result in friendly casualties.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

20. - Top - End - #920

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Xanyo View Post
    Perhaps Petey is asking for a decision concerning firing on the TAD facilities. Which may result in friendly casualties.
    Um, of course he's asking about that? I honestly can't think of any other interpretation of events.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Grim, it's troubling because every data point we have says this will be used to commit a form of genocide, even if you didn't intend to when you started.

Maybe a better combination of facts to help convince you:

Petey thinks one of the more likely explanations for why the Galaxy keeps going extinct if sapient species is the ai goes crazy and kills everyone.

We have two examples of ai killing (for some definition of killing) everyone using this tool.

Petey says "oh, but they probably had a good reason for doing that. I want it too"

Kevyn.... Builds it for him? Is he not informed of how other people have used this?

You don't even need a crazy ai, just one that has slightly different morals. In the black hole bomb event if Petey had this available would he have risked everything trying to stop it or just slurp up the whole Galaxy then GTFO of there.

Kind of called it?
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2019-06-01 at 07:28 AM.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Kind of called it?
    Yes and no. For one thing he asked first. Also he has the help of someone on the receiving end before. They all think it's the only thing that will work, not that it's one of many other options and this one is easiest for them.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Yes and no. For one thing he asked first. Also he has the help of someone on the receiving end before. They all think it's the only thing that will work, not that it's one of many other options and this one is easiest for them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't agree with this at all.

https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2019-05-29

The admiral thought they had a lot of time before the planet gets destroyed. Petey's only concern is that people were going to riot out of panic. And the narrator claims that rioting had begun, but people have rioted before in history without teraporting them out of their body being the best option. Besides, he could have probably ended the riots by just teraporting the rioters whole bodies away.

The person they ask permission from doesn't really have the authority to give it, and also didn't know what he was going to do. The way I read the last couple of pages is the ais go out and do a bunch of stuff, and the meat people are either struggling to keep up with them or just burying their heads in the sand.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah I really don't see why they didn't just teraport the people away, not like empty habitable areas to plop them in are scarce in the galaxy. Would take a while to get them sorted out, but they'd still be alive and safe with less invasive measures having been taken.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Maybe this is meant to reflect Petey's power starvation? It takes less teraport-energy to move people's minds than their bodies or something? I dunno.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Maybe this is meant to reflect Petey's power starvation? It takes less teraport-energy to move people's minds than their bodies or something? I dunno.
    That might actually be the issue here. It could also very well be that Petey had to choose between 'teraport these people bodily, and let another 3 paanuri incursions through to target other places' and 'teraport only their souls, and hold off other incoming incursions'. It should be noted that apparently 300 billion people lived in that planet, which is a pretty massive amount of people to have to resettle'.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

27. - Top - End - #927
    Troll in the Playground

It might be something to do with his power issues, but I can't help but feel this is an incompetent version of what LOTA did on Credomar. Granted LOTA had more time to work with, but they managed to teraport an entire city down to the foundations onto a habitable planet, Petey has several hundred or thousands times the processing power and resources and can't boot up a few annie plants to 'port people into safe places with a two day window to do so?

Or hell, fire up those old teraports that destroyed minute amounts of the mass of the thing being 'ported if power's an issue. I still find it weird they moved from using those to only using one's powered by dedicated energy feedstock.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    It might be something to do with his power issues, but I can't help but feel this is an incompetent version of what LOTA did on Credomar. Granted LOTA had more time to work with, but they managed to teraport an entire city down to the foundations onto a habitable planet, Petey has several hundred or thousands times the processing power and resources and can't boot up a few annie plants to 'port people into safe places with a two day window to do so?

Or hell, fire up those old teraports that destroyed minute amounts of the mass of the thing being 'ported if power's an issue. I still find it weird they moved from using those to only using one's powered by dedicated energy feedstock.
    There's a difference between the two days for the particles, and the four minutes for the light. The light is going to be the big issue, when you think that a lot of it is going to be in gamma, x-ray and heat wavelengths.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-06-01 at 12:34 PM.

29. - Top - End - #929

BlackDragon

Why is everyone automatically assuming Petey did this? If anything, I would say the finger of suspicion ought to be pointing at the Oafa, considering (a) they were the ones asking for the locations of the TAD systems and (b) the reference to this being both a very old and very new teraport system.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Orc in the Playground

Why is everyone automatically assuming Petey did this? If anything, I would say the finger of suspicion ought to be pointing at the Oafa, considering (a) they were the ones asking for the locations of the TAD systems and (b) the reference to this being both a very old and very new teraport system.
    Because it basically has to be Petey? The "very old and very new" line refers to the fact that the All Star (or whatever it was called) used the technology previously (and started a pan-galactic war), while Petey is the only one with access to the technology, via Kevyn. (The all star has the technology too, but I don't think they are willing to use it again.) The Oafans remove the TADs because they can attack inside a TAD field without needing overwhelming force via the long guns, while Petey takes care of the rescuing.
    The New Soulknife Handbook!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    And there I was thinking that Midichlorian counts were a variety of force-sensitive hereditary noble- most notably Dooku.