New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1489
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VIII: insAIne in the mAInfrAIme

Wow, I don't think I ever noticed this before, but while most characters talk in allcaps, some, like Schlock himself, consistently don't. It hasn't been going on since the very first strip, but definitely since book 2.

I blame my recent graphic design project that included paying attention to fonts for noticing it. Now I need something to blame for not noticing it during those previous 17 or so years.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-08-26 at 01:12 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Bugbear in the Playground

it is the AI font, yes

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    it is the AI font, yes
    I hadn't considered that. Although to be fair, it does get a bit muddled in this strip. Schlock counts as an AI, but the space fairies don't. Putzho at some point becomes one, but the characters who introduce him into the all-star and have lived there for presumably millions of years speak in allcaps etc. (Edit: Petey doesn't use it consistently, not even on those easy to draw cyberspace backgrounds.)

Edit some more a day later: It's funny how these things become a story all of their own ones you notice them. A bit like the story of that gnome and that giraffe in the background on a refugee ship.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-08-29 at 03:34 PM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Anyone know what "spike the Captain's wheels" means? Is that military jargon, like Howard often uses?

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by satorian View Post
    Anyone know what "spike the Captain's wheels" means? Is that military jargon, like Howard often uses?
    I believe the reference is to putting something thin but strong through the spokes of a bicycle wheel (or any sort of wheel with spokes), which stops the wheel dead, resulting in a crash.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Ogre in the Playground

While technically correct, I don't think Niantic would be the first one to have a crack at a C&D order...
    Meanwhile that's not a ... bad looking Umbreon. Not great, but not bad.

7. - Top - End - #1147

I am glad, I don't need to do anything with pa'anuri physics.

"the two dark-nucleons are called umbrions and umbrons. Obviously, the umbron has a neutral charge while the umbrion has a positive charge. dark-carbon consists of six umbrions, six umbrons and six umbratrons... (...) There are six dark-leptons, which are the umbratron, the umbralino, the ambratron and the ambralino, and finally the ombratron and the ombralino. To simplify dark matters, anti-dark matter gets the prefix contr-, which would include the contrumbron and the contrumbrion..."

No, Tayler, I don't see anything wrong with these names. Carry on, umbratron.

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    While technically correct, I don't think Niantic would be the first one to have a crack at a C&D order...
    I think Howard may have never seen a Pokémon before Go. (Or maybe he assumes the ones he's never seen before are Go originals?)

Shame on you Howard, shame.

I'm curious how this will turn out. The original reason for the Pa'anuri to be so huge was that dark matter was much less complex than normal matter, made of wimps. Let's see if he has a trick up his sleeve to work this into the new theory.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-09-01 at 02:23 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1149

well, i for one was glad that there was a white-red capsule on the floor, so i could realize what the joke was about without having to google what a "niantic" is.

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thread title watch: Schlock Mercenary IX: I'm not prepared to say no
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Meanwhile that's not a ... bad looking Umbreon. Not great, but not bad.
    Is it even technically correct? Niantic has licensing rights to create A Pokemon game and continuously update it, but I don't think they have ANY claim over the property rights of any of the Pokemon (except MAYBE Melton and Melmetal).

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Schlock Mercenary IX:

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    "Aliens saved the dinosaurs because a mutant frogozoid tried to eat the stars."

Can we save that for the next incarnation of the thread?
    Finish the joke?
    Level Point System 5E
    Poker Roll

Tier 1 Master of All
    Tier 2 Lightning Bruiser
    Tier 3 Lethal Joke Character
    Tier 4 Master of None
    Tier 5 Crippling Overspecialization
    Tier 6 Joke Character

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HouseRules View Post
    Schlock Mercenary IX:

Finish the joke?
    It's a direct quote from this comic.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm saying we have two suggestions for the next thread's Schlock Mercenary IX: Title.
    Level Point System 5E
    Poker Roll

Tier 1 Master of All
    Tier 2 Lightning Bruiser
    Tier 3 Lethal Joke Character
    Tier 4 Master of None
    Tier 5 Crippling Overspecialization
    Tier 6 Joke Character

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Troll in the Playground

I'm a little confused whether this worldship has a "real"/physical or a virtual population.

On the one hand these control room guys are running ten thousand times as fast as their guests, plus we know Tagon and crew didn't bring any real bodies. But if it's all virtual, why did they need to warm up a continent sized patch of hull to open a park? Plus it would mean that when the dinosaurs were teraported over they used the minds only method. Given how horrible everyone else in this comic thinks that is I would have expected them to say something about that.

Or are we looking at some sort of hybrid world? Hard light holograms for the visitors, real bodies with modyfied computirized minds for the locals, real plants for the environment?
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-09-04 at 12:04 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    I'm a little confused whether this worldship has a "real"/physical or a virtual population.

On the one hand these control room guys are running ten thousand times as fast as their guests, plus we know Tagon and crew didn't bring any real bodies. But if it's all virtual, why did they need to warm up a continent sized patch of hull to open a park? Plus it would mean that when the dinosaurs were teraported over they used the minds only method. Given how horrible everyone else in this comic thinks that is I would have expected them to say something about that.

Or are we looking at some sort of hybrid world? Hard light holograms for the visitors, real bodies with modyfied computirized minds for the locals, real plants for the environment?
    The method itself is not horrible: it was always the fact that Petey could do it so easily to anyone anywhere. And that small detail that he did not have to keep your personality anywhere, if he chosen so.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post

They said they were putting their guests into a 'meatspace quarantine', so I assume they somehow rapidly created physical bodies for the delegation and transferred them into them and put them into the park. The park sounds like it's a meatspace area intended for recreation, so maybe they have the resources to spare on having meatspace holidays into a recreated terrestrial biosphere?

Why they wouldn't just simulate them is beyond me, perhaps some of the population have a psychological attachment to meat.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    They said they were putting their guests into a 'meatspace quarantine', so I assume they somehow rapidly created physical bodies for the delegation and transferred them into them and put them into the park. The park sounds like it's a meatspace area intended for recreation, so maybe they have the resources to spare on having meatspace holidays into a recreated terrestrial biosphere?

Why they wouldn't just simulate them is beyond me, perhaps some of the population have a psychological attachment to meat.
    For themselves the reason might be as trivial as wanting to have an option of going back to real world open, or a backup option of doing repairs on the ship, when something critical breaks in the informatic network, but for that usually inhabiting some robotic drones should be more then enough.

For Tagon and company the reason is security - simulating a world for them would mean they have a direct contact with the infospace, giving them real bodies in a real park adds a few more layers of separation.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

They said they were putting their guests into a 'meatspace quarantine'...
    Latest strips answer both questions: they're definitely meat now, and they don't simulate them partly so they can out-think them. Presumably this way also means there's no risk at all of the humans "infecting" the rest of the computer, because they're in meatspace and not cyberspace.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Latest strips answer both questions: they're definitely meat now, and they don't simulate them partly so they can out-think them. Presumably this way also means there's no risk at all of the humans "infecting" the rest of the computer, because they're in meatspace and not cyberspace.
    The questioning part of that statement was actually about why they have a real park in the first place, the virtual world can simulate any experience the locals want, but they still recreated a physical space based on earth during the period the dinosaurs lived there.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

The questioning part of that statement was actually about why they have a real park in the first place, the virtual world can simulate any experience the locals want, but they still recreated a physical space based on earth during the period the dinosaurs lived there.
    Given the size of the place I have no problem with them having multiple meat-space reserves. Heck, it might be that the simulated people in the AI core do occasionally like to feel what it's like to walk around in a real body. Furthermore, some of those spaces might perform the same function as a zoo on Earth--a place where the animals they've encountered on their journey can be preserved for future generations.

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ogre in the Playground

It's possible they only just now made that park for their guests. It would explain the delay and the australia-sized heat signature.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Titan in the Playground

It's possible they only just now made that park for their guests. It would explain the delay and the australia-sized heat signature.
    This is certainly very possible.
    Or that alternatively, its a place they have for visitors.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

They're insanely hyper-paranoid about destruction or contamination from outside, would they bother keeping a special place set aside for visitors they're terrified of and don't want to begin with? Their first response was to try and ignore them until they went away, after all.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Titan in the Playground

The name of the place is "Featherell Nostalgia Park Three", that should tell us some things.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    When announcing the 'meatspace quarantine' plan the Featherell representative specifically said the location had been 'repopulated' which implies it was probably empty prior to that and the heat signature represented the production of all the relevant lifeforms.

The worldship clearly contains an amphibian faction and a Featherell faction and the Featherell appear to be much more sympathetic to contact with humans, and with aliens in general as shown during the bit where they made contact with the Hrathi. The Featherell are also presumably much less numerous than the amphibians (an industrial-revolution level society of intelligent dromaeosaurs probably tops out at around 1 billion 65 mya) and junior partners in the worldship's governance.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Given the size of the place I have no problem with them having multiple meat-space reserves. Heck, it might be that the simulated people in the AI core do occasionally like to feel what it's like to walk around in a real body. Furthermore, some of those spaces might perform the same function as a zoo on Earth--a place where the animals they've encountered on their journey can be preserved for future generations.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    They're insanely hyper-paranoid about destruction or contamination from outside, would they bother keeping a special place set aside for visitors they're terrified of and don't want to begin with? Their first response was to try and ignore them until they went away, after all.
    I think, on some level (a Doylist one, I pre-acknowledge) is to give some basic purpose to having physical bodies ever again, anywhere in the SM universe. It's been a stretch for a while that this universe needed flesh-and-blood gun-toters, but with people being able to be backed up, run in sim, and so forth, there is fast becoming little actual reason for there to be flesh and blood. Mind you, there are some really good sci fi stories told in that setup. However, converting Schlock Mercenary over to that seems to rob it of its' own unique character.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2019-09-09 at 10:18 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

The name of the place is "Featherell Nostalgia Park Three", that should tell us some things.
    That there are at least two other parks at the very least.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I think, on some level (a Doylist one, I pre-acknowledge) is to give some basic purpose to having physical bodies every again, anywhere in the SM universe. It's been a stretch for a while that this universe needed flesh-and-blood gun-toters, but with people being able to be backed up, run in sim, and so forth, there is fast becoming little actual reason for there to be flesh and blood. Mind you, there are some really good sci fi stories told in that setup. However, converting Schlock Mercenary over to that seems to rob it of its' own unique character.
    Given that we've had a character who is an AI controlling a flesh-and-blood body... and an AI in an artificial body that seems very "human like"... and human minds uploaded into computers and running while their bodies are restored... and a mindripped biological mind controlling multiple mechanical entities... and the "meaty Peteys"...

...I think the line is so blurred at this point that a person's backup could be restored into a vastly "superior" body.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

...I think the line is so blurred at this point that a person's backup could be restored into a vastly "superior" body.
    No doubt they could. But none of the characters we have seen want to do that. Sometimes having limitations makes you much more inventive. Also the backups probably want to be the person they remember being.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!