New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VIII: insAIne in the mAInfrAIme

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Rings, Tubes, Spheres, what-have-you, they all maximize the surface area of the thing
    I'm not sure what you mean there? In the case of a sphere it's unquestionably wrong--of all shapes you could possibly use, a sphere has the largest internal volume for a given surface area.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean there? In the case of a sphere it's unquestionably wrong--of all shapes you could possibly use, a sphere has the largest internal volume for a given surface area.
    Hollow (person-wise) sphere with people only on the edges. Filled sphere with people everywhere is what we have now (well, cone, but close enough).

3. - Top - End - #393

BlackDragon

Nope, still not getting it.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hollow (person-wise) sphere with people only on the edges. Filled sphere with people everywhere is what we have now (well, cone, but close enough).
    Why wouldn't/couldn't the sphere be (mostly) hollow?

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

A bunch of cones in spinning about the same point would form the spokes of a wheel, not a sphere. Maybe a filled disk if all the spokes are in contact.

Spheres are good if you want to maximize interior volume with minimum material. They're pretty bad if you want to spin them up for centripetal force and need to maximize living area. Especially if enclosing ground dwellers who need surface area more than sky. If most people need full gravity most of the sphere surface becomes uninhabitable, and even if a small number need reduced gravity it is still better to stack them vertically toward the center. After all they were already living in a metro tower before and that way you can make the sides vertical load-bearing structures in tension.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

6. - Top - End - #396
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    Wait a moment, I thought that spinning the individual spindle cities around like that was the solution to an engineering problem which couldn't be solved with a single rotation frame. I thought it was quite an interesting move away from the "self-gravitating space stations are best if they are rotating wheels".

The look that old Kevyn (who KNOWS about wheel stations as well as Petey does) gives our female new face (do we have a name yet?), indicates that he hasn't even thought about a wheel city.
    Yeah the whole thing is a bit odd. The cities have largely kept the shape they had as orbital cities, it's just that they've been made to rotate around an axis using a non-annie power plant as the counterweight.

Turning them into wheels would require extensive efforts to remodel them. And if several spindle cities are merged together into a wheel, then it causes the "eggs in same basket" issue as instead of having several cities, you have just one, making a lot more people vulnerable to a single attack than when they are spread out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

our female new face (do we have a name yet?)
    Jengisha:

https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2018-07-29
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Yeah the whole thing is a bit odd.
    The thing that really got me, is that this girl is calling Kevyn "baby" after they've know each for all of a few hours tops.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    The thing that really got me, is that this girl is calling Kevyn "baby" after they've know each for all of a few hours tops.
    We've been watching them for a couple of months, does that count?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    They met in a bar, and her occupation implies that quick "pick up a guy at a bar" flings are probably her normal kind of romantic relationships with civilians.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    They met in a bar, and her occupation implies that quick "pick up a guy at a bar" flings are probably her normal kind of romantic relationships with civilians.
    I suspect her name (~ Ghengis-ina), is a foreshadowing of her personality, though I hope to be pleasantly surprised on that score.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I suspect her name (~ Ghengis-ina), is a foreshadowing of her personality, though I hope to be pleasantly surprised on that score.
    I thought Jengisha is more similar to Jane (the) Geisha.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    I thought Jengisha is more similar to Jane (the) Geisha.
    Some say Ghengis, some say Chinggis, I think some say Jingis (but Wikipedia doesn't, so maybe I misremembered that).

14. - Top - End - #404
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Some say Ghengis, some say Chinggis, I think some say Jingis (but Wikipedia doesn't, so maybe I misremembered that).
    In german, we write him Dschingis (pronounciation d-sh-ing-is, in English jingis would be the way to write that name.)
    Only, that linguists say he was pronounced with a hard consonant, so t-sh-ing-is (or in pinyin Chinggis/Qingis) would be the most correct way to call him.

I doubt that Jengishas name is etymological related, unless I missed an in-comic hint. But then, Tayler sometimes uses the 'corrupt meme' thing, and I also missed her name which was said on-panel twice already.

15. - Top - End - #405

BlackDragon

OK, why are these two largely unclothed and dripping wet? I don't think we've seen them since they were propelled away from the imminent explosion on Eina-Afa, right?

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

They are in the background on this page. So they were onboard the Shoemaker-Levy. As for why they are wet they were probably ported out of a hot tub.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    OK, why are these two largely unclothed and dripping wet? I don't think we've seen them since they were propelled away from the imminent explosion on Eina-Afa, right?
    The last time we saw them, they were getting drinks at the guest accommodations pod on the Battleplate Shoemaker-Levy. The Toughs (plus the now-wet UNS captains) were later teraported directly back onto Breath Weapon, probably by Shoemaker-Levy, though possibly by the Oafan fleet.

Why would these two stalwart captains be dripping wet, with the female in a strapless bikini? Shoemaker-Levy's guest accommodations apparently include a bar, so assuming the pod also includes a pool is not out of the question.

18. - Top - End - #408

BlackDragon

OK, I didn't spot them in the background of that scene, so I guess that makes more sense now.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

They were an integral part of the UNS embassy fleeing the Can of Sky, which was done using that very ship that they are now on again.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    They were an integral part of the UNS embassy fleeing the Can of Sky, which was done using that very ship that they are now on again.
    If they wanted integral parts of the UNS Embassy shouldn't Admiral Bala-Amin be included? Not only was she also fleeing aboard the Breath Weapon but she was the one that hired them for the evac.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    If they wanted integral parts of the UNS Embassy shouldn't Admiral Bala-Amin be included? Not only was she also fleeing aboard the Breath Weapon but she was the one that hired them for the evac.
    I was reminding another poster that they were on the Breath Weapon because of those events, NOT trying to explain why they're there NOW.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

23. - Top - End - #413
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I was reminding another poster that they were on the Breath Weapon because of those events, NOT trying to explain why they're there NOW.
    Two options are the most likely.
    One, the UNS dont trust them anymore because they might be more loyal to the Toughs, they are considered a liability.

Second and more plausible, they are there to keep track on what the Toughs are doing. Which is why their officers, ambassador bala-amin, isnt present. It would fit her style to not even inform her 'spies' on their assignment.

Third, many other reasons that I didn't think of...

24. - Top - End - #414

Two options are the most likely.
    One, the UNS dont trust them anymore because they might be more loyal to the Toughs, they are considered a liability.

Second and more plausible, they are there to keep track on what the Toughs are doing. Which is why their officers, ambassador bala-amin, isnt present. It would fit her style to not even inform her 'spies' on their assignment.

Third, many other reasons that I didn't think of...
    Doesn't Sorley still have all sorts of intelligence uplink hardware in her head?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Planet Mercenary Joke: So that's what mayhem on a perception check looks like?

26. - Top - End - #416
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I ended up backing this kickstarter, largely for the option to get the Maxim 70 key fob. It's practically a mantra for me ever since it was first quoted in-comic, so a physical memento I won't worry about losing (like a normal coin) is worth throwing money on the table.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Orc in the Playground

So it's 24 minutes past update time, but no update. I'm guessing that DST is to blame and we'll see it in 36 minutes.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Troll in the Playground

Wut? It showed up on time on my end, are you looking at a cached page?
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

I assume it was daylight savings time, except Wayson was early, not the comic late. Post was at 8:24 Eastern, which is 36 minutes before 9:00 Eastern when the comic usually comes up.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

30. - Top - End - #420

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I assume it was daylight savings time, except Wayson was early, not the comic late. Post was at 8:24 Eastern, which is 36 minutes before 9:00 Eastern when the comic usually comes up.
    I swear the comic used to drop at 9:00 mountain time (11 eastern).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.