New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1489
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VIII: insAIne in the mAInfrAIme

Big as these worldships are, could you *really* fit the entire population of a galaxy into one?

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Big as these worldships are, could you *really* fit the entire population of a galaxy into one?
    Worldships are big. Soulgigged brains in computers are small.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Worldships are big. Soulgigged brains in computers are small.
    To be a little bit more specific, Putzho's soulgigged brain occupied roughly 25,000 cubic millimeters in volume, or 0.025 cubic meters. The volume of the Earth is roughly 346,000,000,000,000,000,000 cubic meters. Meaning a worldship the size of the Earth could potentially contain 13,840,000,000,000,000,000,000 (13.8 sextillion) soulgigged brains if that was all it was made of.

The population of the galaxy is listed as 10,200 trillion sophonts, or 10.2 quadrillion, which simplifies into roughly 10^16 sophonts. A million times that would be 10^22, or roughly 10 sextillion, which lines up nicely with what an Earth-sized worldship could support, and still allow for a goodly percentage of the space to be something other than storage.
    Last edited by Mechalich; 2019-08-15 at 02:33 AM.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

4. - Top - End - #1114

BlackDragon

I wasn't under the impression that the population aboard the worldships were in "soulgigged" form, though?

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Troll in the Playground

We haven't had a confirmation on exactly what the interior of these worldships are, we've 'seen' the inside, but that could just be a simulated environment, like where Putzho and friends first were after getting snagged. The provided numbers are being made under the assumption that these worldships are the same as the All-Star.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Orc in the Playground

Given the size of the worldship, which we can very roughly estimate based on this comic showing a small patch on the surface being called "the size of Australia", and with some very, very scientific(read: i looked at a picture of jupiter for a few minutes) estimations, I'd say that their worldship is prooooobably about as big as the All-Star, provided the Star in question is one of the smaller Red Dwarves. Which is a reasonable provision for something that wants to try to live forever, I think. Those babies probably last for trillions of years- I say probably because, as our best guess is that the universe is a mere 14 billion years old, none of them have died yet.

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Barbarian in the Playground

Friday August 16, 2019 -- This update is interesting. Fleets forming rings 500,000 light years in diameter isn't the sort of thing that happens without coordination.

8. - Top - End - #1118

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Friday August 16, 2019 -- This update is interesting. Fleets forming rings 500,000 light years in diameter isn't the sort of thing that happens without coordination.
    Coordination that must surely have taken place over millions of years, though...if each worldship can carry the entire galactic population, and there are fleets of the things, it's not something that could have developed quickly. So the obvious question then becomes, what could be a threat over such a timescale that the worldships are an improvement? Surely not the Pa'anuri.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Troll in the Playground

I suspect it's less a case of an active threat over that timeframe and more a case of once you've hit the point where you'd uploaded everyone into a mobile planetary-scale supercomputer, being in the galaxy proper does nothing but make it easier for people that might want to blow you up to target you.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

10. - Top - End - #1120

BlackDragon

Why go into fixed orbits around the galaxy, in that case? You'd think they'd just point at intergalactic space and head on out there.

Another thing that occurs: even if these are gigantic computers like the All-Star, they need power. Where are they getting that from? Annie plants need refuelling, they can't have infinite neutronium fuel and they're too far from any stars to rely on solar power.

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Another thing that occurs: even if these are gigantic computers like the All-Star, they need power. Where are they getting that from? Annie plants need refuelling, they can't have infinite neutronium fuel and they're too far from any stars to rely on solar power.
    At those scales of time, space, and mass; the only possible source of energy is some variant of the pop-culture version of zero-point energy. (As in, infinite free energy. It wouldn't make sense in hard SF, but neither would most of the concepts long accepted in the Schlock cannon.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Or pure conversion power (so I guess like annie plants, but possibly without the neutronium intermediate step). As HorizonWalker noted, there are red dwarfs still going that are not much younger (percentage-wise) than the universe. And those are going strong strictly on hydrogen fusing, which is extracting 26.2 MeV out of 4 x 1.01 = 4.03 Ar of fuel. Total conversion (E=MC^2) nets you 4.03 x 3e8 x 3e8 x 6.24e18/6.02+23 (joule-to-eV conversion/Avogadro's #)/26.2e6 = 143 billion times as much*. Assuming that these giant computers are mostly just sitting there computing, apparently running enough sensors to detect a giant kangaroo appear in orbit (well, probably detected the terraport), and whatever physical maintenance a planet+ sized computer needs, I think they could last so far into the future that we'll really need to start analyzing what their goals are to determine if they have enough fuel.
    *might have made a math error in there, but the specifics don't matter much.

13. - Top - End - #1123

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    As HorizonWalker noted, there are red dwarfs still going that are not much younger (percentage-wise) than the universe. And those are going strong strictly on hydrogen fusing
    Big as these worldships are, red dwarfs are a *lot* larger (even the smallest are somewhat bigger than Jupiter), and the reason they last so long is because the process of fusion in stars is actually very inefficient and takes a long time to burn through the hydrogen. If you were to actually scale down a red dwarf star to the size of an annie plant in Schlock (and somehow keep it fusing) it would produce an absolutely tiny amount of energy.
    Last edited by factotum; 2019-08-16 at 10:01 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Orc in the Playground

Big as these worldships are, red dwarfs are a *lot* larger (even the smallest are somewhat bigger than Jupiter), and the reason they last so long is because the process of fusion in stars is actually very inefficient and takes a long time to burn through the hydrogen. If you were to actually scale down a red dwarf star to the size of an annie plant in Schlock (and somehow keep it fusing) it would produce an absolutely tiny amount of energy.
    In my post, I talked about the size of the Worldships in comparison to Red Dwarfs. (Incidentally, the smallest are actually a bit smaller than Jupiter. Not, like. Earth-sized, but slightly smaller than Jupiter.)
    Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    Given the size of the worldship, which we can very roughly estimate based on this comic showing a small patch on the surface being called "the size of Australia", and with some very, very scientific(read: i looked at a picture of jupiter for a few minutes) estimations, I'd say that their worldship is prooooobably about as big as the All-Star, provided the Star in question is one of the smaller Red Dwarves. Which is a reasonable provision for something that wants to try to live forever, I think. Those babies probably last for trillions of years- I say probably because, as our best guess is that the universe is a mere 14 billion years old, none of them have died yet.
    If you want to follow my estimation a little bit closer, follow the link in the quoted text to get a rough idea of the scale of the Worldship, and then take a look at this picture of Jupiter, knowing that the Red Spot is somewhere around the size of Earth. Try and jiggle those intuitions around in your head along with the size of Australia, and then give up and say "Howard isn't an engineer or an astronomer and is not obligated to get the scale of his drawings exactly, perfectly right in accordance with the scientific facts as we understand them. Also, he wouldn't bring up Matryoshka Brains if he didn't want us to think those Worldships were just like the All-Star. Ergo, I will shrug and say 'yeah, that's probably big enough to hold a Red Dwarf. It'd explain a lot of the mass, too.'"

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Shrinking something fusing down in scale does weird things to the calculations because fusion is caused by pressure, but let's just say you have a 26.2 MeV per 4.03 Ar of fuel process working on a stellar amount of mass on one side of the scale and a e=mc^2 process on an Earth-size mass on the other. The E=mc^2 process is 143 billion times as efficient, but you are working with a lot less mass. How much? Depends on how big a red dwarf we're talking about and how big the worldships are, but the Sun is 333,000 (using the same 3 sig figs I've limited myself to) times as massive as the Earth. Of course the worldship probably doesn't want to use it's whole self as a fuel source, so we're probably multiplying the total by some fraction. Of course, without knowing exactly what their power needs are, we really have no bar against which to measure whether their power capabilities are sufficient or not (since we don't have an answer to the question, 'sufficient for what?').

16. - Top - End - #1126

BlackDragon

Thing is, scaling down fusion to human scale is something we're already trying to do. One of the issues we run into is the aforementioned inefficiency of the process of hydrogen fusion in a star, which makes it impossible to use it for something you actually want to generate power with. To give you an idea: at the Sun's core, the actual energy release from fusion is less than 300W per cubic metre, which is less than your body produces to maintain its temperature. The only reason the Sun produces the amount of energy it does is because it's absolutely massive and that 300W per cubic metre adds up.

The reason this is all so inefficient is because the first stage of fusing hydrogen atoms into helium is necessarily Helium-2, e.g. an atomic nucleus with 2 protons in it. Helium-2 is horribly, catastrophically unstable and will decay almost immediately back into the two protons that formed it--the only way it will stay stable long enough for further fusion to occur is if one of the protons decays into a neutron before the nucleus can fall apart, thus forming deuterium. This is why Earthbound experiments in fusion generally start with deuterium, because it's stable.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Well, yes, unless I messed up my search query, I was using fourby-proton fusion and not deuterium- or similar fusion models as my math startpoint.

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting that despite their newfound multi-layer-protected immortality, they're still in the mindset of "golden years".
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

19. - Top - End - #1129

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Interesting that despite their newfound multi-layer-protected immortality, they're still in the mindset of "golden years".
    The Commodore in particular has had, what, eighty-odd years of getting used to the idea he's going to die someday? You don't wipe out that many years of programming with a few nanites.

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Ettin in the Playground

I also had thoughts about this ship.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder if all those worldships forming up rings of fleets have some bigger plan...

Or if it's just that you don't just flee and keeping going, in case you realize you need to go back for something.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I wonder if all those worldships forming up rings of fleets have some bigger plan...

Or if it's just that you don't just flee and keeping going, in case you realize you need to go back for something.
    There has to be something behind it.

So far the reasoning as that the worldships were all running away from the Milky Way because there's too many civilizations there. It seems counterintuitive for them to go hang out with even more civilizations. Sure, they're older and more experienced civilizations, and a lot of them might have some form of immortality (for instance by being minds in a computer), making the individuals in charge older and more experienced. But it would still be safer to just hang around alone. So they have a reason to link up like that, I figure.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Troll in the Playground

Part of it could be that if you keep running, you might end up running into something dangerous. So you get far enough out that you are statistically highly unlikely to get visitors, then park. Given the self-contained nature of worldships, neighbor ships are a nonissue unless you go out of your way to interact with them. Gotta wait for exposition before we figure out if the ring arrangements have any significance or are just exogalactic parking lots.
    Swoop Falcon

24. - Top - End - #1134

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Part of it could be that if you keep running, you might end up running into something dangerous.
    That might explain there being a whole cluster of worldships around the Milky Way, but it certainly doesn't explain why they're all pretty much exactly the same distance out and following each other in massive orbits--the "we're safe now" point is highly unlikely to be the same distance for all species, and for all of them to exit the Milky Way on one of the three or four trajectories that lead to those orbits has to have been a deliberate choice, not something that just happened by chance.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Bugbear in the Playground

They are all murderous maniacs against outsiders and follow the nearest worldship to murder it, that leads to a long murder chain, one the murderchain gets long enough it can form a circle.

Nothing we heard yet seems to be a reason to stay in formation and I don't think we will guess the right reason before it is given in he comic.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Titan in the Playground

That might explain there being a whole cluster of worldships around the Milky Way, but it certainly doesn't explain why they're all pretty much exactly the same distance out and following each other in massive orbits--the "we're safe now" point is highly unlikely to be the same distance for all species, and for all of them to exit the Milky Way on one of the three or four trajectories that lead to those orbits has to have been a deliberate choice, not something that just happened by chance.
    My hypothesis at this moment:

1. They seem to have "moved to the country" to avoid having neighbors or running into strangers.
    2. Thing is, if you're in orbit around something, and so are a bunch of other people, eventually you may run into each other, or have a close call.
    3. Ironically, the best way to avoid ever interacting with anyone else, is to cooperate on organized orbits with everyone.

27. - Top - End - #1137

So "good fences make good neighbours." Maybe, but exactly two rings seems to call for more than that. If we accept that interferometry is possible over that distance, they could be getting hellamazing resolution on something an insanely long ways away -- which means really long ago. And the two rings are looking at two different things. Well, to different directions.
    Something like the fine print on God's contract with creation, metaphorically speaking. In other words, they may be looking at the big bang, trying to figure out how to create their own (private) universes. Ambitious, but given the scope of the operation, not impossible.

--Add---

The power requirements for interferometry may be tied to distance. They need large distances, but they also need serious time to collect and process what they see. So the chosen distance may be considered the best compromise between size (bigger is better) and duration (longer is better).
    Last edited by Windscion; 2019-08-25 at 12:08 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1138

RedWizardGuy

In other words, they may be looking at the big bang, trying to figure out how to create their own (private) universes. Ambitious, but given the scope of the operation, not impossible.
    Sounds a bit like what happened in the time traveling arc, except non-weaponized.

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Firbolg in the Playground

So "good fences make good neighbours." Maybe, but exactly two rings seems to call for more than that. If we accept that interferometry is possible over that distance, they could be getting hellamazing resolution on something an insanely long ways away -- which means really long ago. And the two rings are looking at two different things. Well, to different directions.
    Something like the fine print on God's contract with creation, metaphorically speaking. In other words, they may be looking at the big bang, trying to figure out how to create their own (private) universes. Ambitious, but given the scope of the operation, not impossible.

--Add---

The power requirements for interferometry may be tied to distance. They need large distances, but they also need serious time to collect and process what they see. So the chosen distance may be considered the best compromise between size (bigger is better) and duration (longer is better).
    My understanding of interferometry is that power requirements are dictated by the number of antennas while resolution is determined by the spread of distances between sensors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Troll in the Playground

--Add---

I could see this being in the right direction. Although I'd expect them to not be looking at two separate objects, rather the two rings work together to give them a view all around (either inside or outside the rings, or both), and with some temporal info mixed in as well.

Also, the ship they're currently visiting, it probably hasn't arrived in the rings yet, right? Because orbiting didn't come up when they were matching speed with that one. So most of these worldships left longer than 65 million years ago. (Which is quite reasonable given life for several billions of years.)

EDIT: Alternatively, Harrie Weggelaar was right after all, and they're building a giant atom.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-08-25 at 03:40 PM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!