New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1489
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VIII: insAIne in the mAInfrAIme

Or Team Fortress 2.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ogre in the Playground

Or.... Dungeons and dragons?

I think it's very likely he has played an mmo, because he's obviously played tabletop RPGs and those types of people usually play MMOs also. This is just not new information.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2019-09-25 at 08:39 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Or.... Dungeons and dragons?
    It sounds to me like a turn of phrase more in tune with how things are discussed in discussions about computer games than table-top roleplaying games. 'Tanking' certainly has crept over and is pretty ubiquitous in TTRPG discussions. Targeting the healer, otoh, would be a strange strategy in D&D.

I think it's very likely he has played an mmo, because he's obviously played tabletop RPGs and those types of people usually play MMOs also. This is just not new information.
    And I wasn't being serious about 'we're finding out.' He's made 'Warhammer 40K' jokes over a decade ago.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Titan in the Playground

HT most definitely plays video games and TT RPGs.

He's even in a weekly RPG twitch stream right now.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Barbarian in the Playground

Pretty sure that D&D is "Kill the Wizard First" and MMORPG is "Kill the Healer First".

Also, Disarming by removing their arms and their arms.
    Last edited by HouseRules; 2019-09-30 at 07:37 AM.
    Level Point System 5E
    Poker Roll

Tier 1 Master of All
    Tier 2 Lightning Bruiser
    Tier 3 Lethal Joke Character
    Tier 4 Master of None
    Tier 5 Crippling Overspecialization
    Tier 6 Joke Character

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Ogre in the Playground

First instance of it that I personally ran across was this:
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2.../21/the-protip

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    First instance of it that I personally ran across was this:
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2.../21/the-protip
    It definitely predates that. There's a dungeon called Upper Blackrock Spire in World of Warcraft that was there right from the launch of the game in 2004, and one of the bosses in it has a line "Fools! Kill the one in the dress!"--meaning, "Kill the healer, not the warrior!". I recall that being a pretty old trope even then when I heard that line.

8. - Top - End - #1208

Are you guys sure it did not exist in Multi-User Dungeons (MUDs) in the 90's?
    Level Point System 5E
    Poker Roll

Tier 1 Master of All
    Tier 2 Lightning Bruiser
    Tier 4 Master of None
    Tier 6 Joke Character

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

OK, so these lumpy cables with annie plants in them allow Pa'anuri to interface with baryonic matter. Problem is, don't annie plants actually physically hurt Pa'anuri? I'm sure I remember that being a thing at one point.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    OK, so these lumpy cables with annie plants in them allow Pa'anuri to interface with baryonic matter. Problem is, don't annie plants actually physically hurt Pa'anuri? I'm sure I remember that being a thing at one point.
    No, Annie Plants are just really, really heavy, meaning they've got some gravity of their own for the Pa'anuri to manipulate.

Now, Teraporting, that's what kills them.

11. - Top - End - #1211

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    When Kevyn reinvent teraport, 100% of teraport technology requires annie plants.
    It took several generations of development to change that.
    Last edited by HouseRules; 2019-10-04 at 03:12 PM.
    Level Point System 5E
    Poker Roll

Tier 1 Master of All
    Tier 2 Lightning Bruiser
    Tier 4 Master of None
    Tier 6 Joke Character

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aren't baryonic creatures working with Pa'anuri a priceless intelligence source?

The F'Sherl-Ganni are supposed to have communicated with them in the backstory, but I don't think anyone in the modern era has ever managed. To date communication has been limited to 'if you use teraports we will do our damnedest to kill you', which has its faults as a means of negotiating an end to an intergalactic conflict.
    Last edited by Toptomcat; 2019-10-05 at 01:54 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Ogre in the Playground

Apparently not.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Orc in the Playground

You forget- this company is run by Captain Kaff "Ew, diplomacy. Don't get any of that on me" Tagon.

He's grown more thoughtful since then, but diplomacy still isn't his favorite tool in his toolbox.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

And 'food that talks is not food, but if you eat it before it can talk it's still food' Sergeant Schlock. Introspection is not his strong point in most situations.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toptomcat View Post
    Aren't baryonic creatures working with Pa'anuri a priceless intelligence source?

The F'Sherl-Ganni are supposed to have communicated with them in the backstory, but I don't think anyone in the modern era has ever managed. To date communication has been limited to 'if you use teraports we will do our damnedest to kill you', which has its faults as a means of negotiating an end to an intergalactic conflict.
    It'd also work better if they didn't need to reconstruct the language these things use.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

17. - Top - End - #1217

When 'mindrip' technology exists to destructively get the total output of someone's mind and memories across a wide variety of independently evolved sentient species- including those with Schlockishly bizarre neurology- as well as a science of linguistics built around a corpus of an enormous variety of independently-developed languages and a means of simulating the minds of your linguists at many times normal speed, that's not the barrier it seems at first.

18. - Top - End - #1218

Well sure, but this looks to be the first time that not being able to communicate with something has come up, with the exception of the primitives that only had spears.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

19. - Top - End - #1219

Also, you need to have somebody who can do all the talky-talk. The people on the Synthetic Certainty who might be able to are about Kevyn, and he is more of a "build death rays" kind of mad scientist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Ogre in the Playground

Are we sure these creatures are baryonic quislings and not lab grown pets/remotely controlled bary-arms the Pa'anuri made?

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Are we sure these creatures are baryonic quislings and not lab grown pets/remotely controlled bary-arms the Pa'anuri made?
    The Pa'anuri would still need some way to interact with baryonic matter in order to have a lab capable of creating baryonic sapients. Not to mention that they'd need to have an elaborate apparatus in order to communicate with / control those sapients. Occam's Razor indicates that these are quislings.

22. - Top - End - #1222

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post
    The Pa'anuri would still need some way to interact with baryonic matter in order to have a lab capable of creating baryonic sapients. Not to mention that they'd need to have an elaborate apparatus in order to communicate with / control those sapients. Occam's Razor indicates that these are quislings.
    Their word for baryonic life is "annoying", they wipe out any civilization that reaches the radio, and literally annihilated an entire galaxy in an alternate timeline. They don't seem to be interested in conquest. There must be some special reason they are willing to tolerate these guys.

From what we know, the Pa'anuri were originally control mechanisms for world forges, so its entirely possible that they do in fact have a method to create artificial baryonics.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    Their word for baryonic life is "annoying", they wipe out any civilization that reaches the radio, and literally annihilated an entire galaxy in an alternate timeline. They don't seem to be interested in conquest. There must be some special reason they are willing to tolerate these guys.

From what we know, the Pa'anuri were originally control mechanisms for world forges, so its entirely possible that they do in fact have a method to create artificial baryonics.
    The Pa'anuri weren't control mechanisms for the world forges. They were power sources. That implies far less finesse.

Anyhow, we also know that they were willing to work with and tolerate the Gatekeepers- that's how we found out about them in the first place. I reckon they're also willing to work with and tolerate a few species who are willing to keep teraporting to the barest of minimums.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Were they working with the Gatekeepers, or running a multi-millennia con game on them? The plans for the core generator that would have sterilized the galaxy if it fired up originally came from the Pa'anuri, IIRC.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Were they working with the Gatekeepers, or running a multi-millennia con game on them? The plans for the core generator that would have sterilized the galaxy if it fired up originally came from the Pa'anuri, IIRC.
    The DMB only "worked" with the Gatekeepers because they couldn't win the war they were fighting with them. So they had a peace treaty which the Gatekeepers followed and the DMB violated by attempting to destroy the entire Milky Way Galaxy with the core generator.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

26. - Top - End - #1226

RedWizardGuy

For these guys at least, question answered.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    For these guys at least, question answered.
    And we see an everalsting problem with people not reading the documents they are given. Trying to make them is a difficult and often futile task.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

28. - Top - End - #1228

Btw I can't remember did schlock have some cannon reason to have flesh and blood mercenaries? The far superior thought speed should make robot soldiers just better than most and comics that allude to non AIs slowing things down tend to remind me of that.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2019-10-12 at 05:28 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Btw I can't remember did schlock have some cannon reason to have flesh and blood mercenaries? The far superior thought speed should make robot soldiers just better than most and comics that allude to non AIs slowing things down tend to remind me of that.
    As I recall we've been given no particular reason beyond some kind of abstract idea that organics can come up with ideas AIs usually wouldn't. Which makes little sense when an organic can become an AI and an AI can become organic.

At this point a lot of people who make a living off of creative works, scientific research and so on would have good reason to migrate into AI form and rapidly enhance the speed at which their minds work. Even a cheap AI chassis can think much faster than a meat brain can, and Petey set a precedent for meat bodies serving as nodes for an AI, so you don't even need to give up the material world to do so.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    As I recall we've been given no particular reason beyond some kind of abstract idea that organics can come up with ideas AIs usually wouldn't. Which makes little sense when an organic can become an AI and an AI can become organic.

At this point a lot of people who make a living off of creative works, scientific research and so on would have good reason to migrate into AI form and rapidly enhance the speed at which their minds work. Even a cheap AI chassis can think much faster than a meat brain can, and Petey set a precedent for meat bodies serving as nodes for an AI, so you don't even need to give up the material world to do so.
    The concept of what an AI is and can do has morphed a bit since the start of the comic, I think.

But within the comic's setting, I think there's some social inertia.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.