New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Question combining Magic Items

I know that in the Magic Item Compendium it says that you can add common effects to existing items, but does that go for combining 2 items of the same slot? i need an official answer to this question so references in books is necessary thank you

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Question combining Magic Items

Yes, it does. That's the same rules on page 234. You can combine whatever effects you like as long as they're on the same slot.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

If you add an effect to an existing magic item, then obviously they will take up the same body slot. That's the whole point of having multiple effects on a single item. What were you expecting?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4

"You can combine whatever effects you like as long as they're on the same slot."

As opposed to putting a Ring of Protection enchantment on boots. Or a Cloak of Resistance onto a belt.
    Or an amulet of Giant's Strength.

That's a different set of rules.

5. - Top - End - #5

SamuraiGuy

Okay thank you

6. - Top - End - #6

SamuraiGuy

okay if i wanted to put a spell ability on an item, like the spell Launch Item, would it take up part of my enhancement bonus?

the reason i am asking is i am trying to make Nicholas D Wolfwood's Punisher from Trigun. The item is a giant cross shaped gun with a rocket launcher on the back end. my DM has given me the DC and Market value for it, but it is like a crossbow with a string and stuff so i thought, why not just put a spell on it. the price is .5*1*2000=1000gp.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordWolfKnight View Post
    okay if i wanted to put a spell ability on an item, like the spell Launch Item, would it take up part of my enhancement bonus?

the reason i am asking is i am trying to make Nicholas D Wolfwood's Punisher from Trigun. The item is a giant cross shaped gun with a rocket launcher on the back end. my DM has given me the DC and Market value for it, but it is like a crossbow with a string and stuff so i thought, why not just put a spell on it. the price is .5*1*2000=1000gp.
    If the item isn’t a magic item to start with (it’s just a crossbow, right?) maybe the easiest thing is to get a wand chamber and a wand of the spell you want.