New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Banned

Default Re: OOTS #1124 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Manty5 View Post
    Only in a very, VERY narrow technical sense of "cold-blooded" and "killer" that I doubt Lucas was using.

Most people would not consider a self-defense shooting the act of a cold-blooded killer even if the person reasoned his way to the killing.
    And they would be wrong. Han was applying a "cold calculus" to the situation, not struggling for his life or acting purely on instict. Whether that's excusable or not is another matter, but "cold-blooded killer" accurately describes Han in the original scene. He reasoned his way to a conclusion that the man opposite him had to die. That's what "cold-blooded killer" means.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-06-18 at 07:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    And there's that one again, "Trade Federation." How do they come up with this stuff? Someone's wacky fanfiction I suppose.
    Seems unfair. The concept of a trade federation is a pretty intuitive and useful one. Hardly wacky.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2018-06-18 at 07:19 PM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Seems unfair. The concept of a trade federation is a pretty intuitive and useful idea. Hardly wacky.
    Would it have been too on the nose to to call it The Customs Union? Or would it have given away the game of no polity or political movement in Star Wars having an actual name?

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Would it have been too on the nose to to call it The Customs Union?
    Huh...I don't remember if the Techno Union was name-dropped in the movies.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

5. - Top - End - #305
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yknow, one day I'll open a long-running thread without seeing alignment arguments, Tarquin or Star Wars.
    I may have to join a different forum first of course.
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2018-06-18 at 08:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Huh...I don't remember if the Techno Union was name-dropped in the movies.
    It was, briefly, in the second one.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #307
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    George Lucas didn't talk about rating agencies; he said that shooting first would have made Han a cold-blooded killer.

Ironically, as I indicated (albeit in white text), I pretty much think the exact opposite is the case--when Han shot Greedo for very explicitly threatening him, it didn't say anything bad about him. In the revised version, he shot a man who was clearly such a bad shot he was no threat even if he wanted to be.
    Anyone with a lethal weapon at that range is a threat. Even the poor soul who came out of the back room blasting at Vincent and Jules in Pulp Fiction and missed six times at point blank range would have been a threat if they'd let him reload (or possibly reach for another weapon). Mind you, the self-defense argument would have been a tad shaky given that they'd already shot one person in the apartment dead for being too terrified to speak coherently.
    Sudden thought after watching an old "Lois and Clark" episode: Lane Davies aka Tempus is probably the best possible choice to portray an animated or live action Xykon if either of those ever becomes reality--he was born in 1950 and Tempus' personality is a close match for pre-lich Xykon IMO. Just my two cents.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I believe the Trade Federation was created by The Architect to contain the demons Piccolo and Oozaru.

Also, had anyone ever heard of this comic called "The Order of the Stick?". I've heard it's pretty good.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MartianInvader View Post
    Also, had anyone ever heard of this comic called "The Order of the Stick?". I've heard it's pretty good.
    Never heard of it, and I've read most of the Star Wars EU. Is it a later novel?

back to the point...

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    If we're talking about Greg betraying Hel, I think "Forget it."

If we're talking about Greg endangering his plans due to being tempted by a chance to indulge sadism or bloodthirst, on the other hand, I think we've seen that already, multiple times.
    This is my sense of it, too. I don't think that Greg's going to turn against Hel (nor Ponchella for that matter: regardless of how much the forums have argued on her devotion, her betrayal won't be a turning point in this fight simply because it hasn't been set up for us to consider). I also don't think he's going to run away because of Durkon's Big Memory. I think that this is the final battle for Greg, and he's not walking away from it of his own volition.

I could be wrong, though.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MartianInvader View Post
    Yeah, actually! I heard that the MC gained the "Force Pull" jedi power, but it only works on his own sword when it goes into lightsaber mode.

Also, he's currently struggling with temptations to join the dark side at the expense of the fate of the world... but free massages, and pizza on thursdays sounds too much for him to resist...

In episode III, his estranged father also attempts to get him to go over to the dark side: "Together, we can destroy the galaxy!"
    Last edited by Manty5; 2018-06-19 at 12:03 AM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Manty5 View Post
    Yeah, actually! I heard that the MC gained the "Force Pull" jedi power, but it only works on his own sword when it goes into lightsaber mode.

Also, he's currently struggling with temptations to join the dark side at the expense of the fate of the world... but free massages, and pizza on thursdays sounds too much for him to resist...

In episode III, his estranged father also attempts to get him to go over to the dark side: "Together, we can destroy the galaxy!"
    I've also heard that the main antagonist is a decrepit dark side overlord aided by a guy in red clothes and troops of random rarely effective mooks.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

12. - Top - End - #312
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

"Only the goblins are this precise".
    Last edited by Manty5; 2018-06-19 at 08:58 AM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    If you find yourself getting all worked up about a fictional comic book character, you might need to take another look at what's important in your life.
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    That's a bit much. Wistful and fatalistic, maybe.
    Replace with "feel the need to bring up how much you loathe the character every single time someone mentions them" and it still holds.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

Problem with "Han shoot first" is that, it's really hard to believe that Greedo is really gonna kill Han Solo. He is too friendly towards him and if he really wanted to kill him he would shoot him at the first chance, instead of inviting him to a table for a relaxed conversation. It's also make more sense for him to bring Han Solo to Jabba alive so he can pay back to them.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Problem with "Han shoot first" is that, it's really hard to believe that Greedo is really gonna kill Han Solo. He is too friendly towards him and if he really wanted to kill him he would shoot him at the first chance, instead of inviting him to a table for a relaxed conversation. It's also make more sense for him to bring Han Solo to Jabba alive so he can pay back to them.
    I think your standards for what constitute friendly need to be improved somewhat. Greedo may have been inept, but he was pretty clearly also hostile.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #316

Han: "Over my dead body."

Greedo: "That's the idea."

Yeah, absolutely no threat there.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Greedo was not smart. This didn't make him less dangerous, and arguably made him more dangerous. His "invitation" was at the barrel of a gun. He wanted to take the money Han owed Jabba for himself, effectively stiffing Jabba. He threatened to kill Han without ensuring his own safety. Dude's intelligence was not related to his threat level, which was pretty clear.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2