New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: OOTS #1124 - The Discussion Thread

Damn it Roy for hitting Greg's skull just as we were about to see more of the memory. That memory better be worth it because every strip that we don't see it makes it look more and more important.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    You have to hand it to Vampire!Durkon. He doesn't gloat before his enemies are actually dead.
    Not this time at least.

I guess he learned his lesson from his impromptu beard trimming with Roy?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Pfffhaha, I just saw Greg's twin statements inside and outside his head.

A joke, or foreshadowing that his inner and outer selves are starting to run together?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Talion View Post
    That is quite a long memory to have lasted more than a combat round
    To be honest I'm having trouble reconciling it with 948. How do memories happen at the speed of thought and there's no lag but it's still going on? Maybe best for me not to think about it.
    I don't actually play D&D. I do play:

Magic: the Gathering Online (with FREE tournaments at Gatherling)
    DC Universe, my surprisingly good CoH replacement
    Planetside 2, MMO-meets-FPS (and the first shooter I've liked in ages).
    Simunomics - a massive multiplayer Business Simulation Game. Browser-based, free to play.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amarsir View Post
    To be honest I'm having trouble reconciling it with 948. How do memories happen at the speed of thought and there's no lag but it's still going on? Maybe best for me not to think about it.
    Cause when youre distracted by combat its hard to think about memories?
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Amarsir View Post
    The speed of thought is not equivalent to "instantly forever." You don't really need to reconcile it because there's no disconnect.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

Wait.

Durkon is going to show a memory of a disillusioned freshly initiated cleric with a single motherly figure, who is deprived of what a disillusioned freshly initiated cleric believes she really deserves...

To an enthusiastic freshly initiated cleric with a single motherly figure, who is deprived of what an enthusiastic freshly initiated cleric believes she really deserves?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Yes, in that RAW doesn't specify how attacks that don't beat your AC are actually blocked. If you want to RP that you deflect blades with your bare hands (as monks regularly do), nothing in RAW stops you.

GW
    I would also add that it looks like Roy is using his sleeve anyway, which appears to be armored.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I would also add that it looks like Roy is using his sleeve anyway, which appears to be armored.
    and/or Roy may be blocking Elan's hand or hilt, not the blade.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by White_Mouse View Post
    Wait.

Durkon is going to show a memory of a disillusioned freshly initiated cleric with a single motherly figure, who is deprived of what a disillusioned freshly initiated cleric believes she really deserves...

To an enthusiastic freshly initiated cleric with a single motherly figure, who is deprived of what an enthusiastic freshly initiated cleric believes she really deserves?
    Hel, motherly? How?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Hel, motherly? How?
    I mean, she did "birth" his spirit in her halls. That doesn't make her a good mother figure, of course...

12. - Top - End - #72

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by kiapet View Post
    I mean, she did "birth" his spirit in her halls. That doesn't make her a good mother figure, of course...
    Ah, the Lusamine school of parenting. Good times.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talion View Post
    And that seems to clear up whether or not Hel can grant the "Instant Vampirization" spell or not. I wonder how that will shake things up in the future of the OotS world...
    My bet is that one of the CoS vampires will survive this battle and vampire infestation will remain a long-term problem for Firmament and the Dwarven Lands in general, hence fullfilling the prophecy.

It wouldn't be hard to establish that without slowing the pace just have a vampire or three standing in the shadows, smiling over a large "establishing" (not the right word exactly) shot of Firmament during the epilogue or just after the Order leaves.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #74

PirateCaptain

Post Re: OOTS #1124 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    My bet is that one of the CoS vampires will survive this battle and vampire infestation will remain a long-term problem for Firmament and the Dwarven Lands in general, hence fullfilling the prophecy.

It wouldn't be hard to establish that without slowing the pace just have a vampire or three standing in the shadows, smiling over a large "establishing" (not the right word exactly) shot of Firmament during the epilogue or just after the Order leaves.
    I'm not saying this won't happen, but I think he's already caused enough death and destruction for the prophecy to be able to be considered fulfilled.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

I think Durkon just learned that Uncle Squeaky is his real father and his mother is paying to the church as indulgence for her sins.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    I think Durkon just learned that Uncle Squeaky is his real father and his mother is paying to the church as indulgence for her sins.
    Im disinclined to think Thor would be particularly judgmental there.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    No, "prophecy" is a word, that has a meaning. "Being lied to by your sister" is not part of that meaning. "Some prophecies in OotS are lies" is only a true statement if you redefine "prophecy" to include "lies", at which point your statement is tautological, and therefore useless.

Grey Wolf
    Lol. I think that this is probably not an argument either of us will win. In my limited world view, prophecies are ALWAYS lies in the real world.

In my view, I’m not redefining he world prophecy to say that some prophecies may be lies in OoTS. I’m redefining the word prophecy to say, that for the purpose of this fictional world with a fictional cosmology, there exist prophecy that are *NOT* lies.

Now, to tie it back to the story, *IF* what the brewer said that the high priest of Thor said that the high priest of Odin said that he learned by prophecy is an actual true prophecy that can be taken at face value, then Durkon *WILL* bring “death and destruction to us all”. He hasn’t done that yet, and he will.

Fortunately, we know from the story that many of the things that people believe the be true prophecies turn out to not actually happen.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I'm dying laughing at Elan trying to talk Roy into switching to the Dominated side. Dominated or not, he's, uh, still very Elan.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Has it not occurred to anyone that Sigdi might well have known of the prophecy, even many years before the High Priest's shenanigans?

Suppose she knew more:

1) She could prepare for it.
    2) She might even impoverish herself to prepare for it.
    3) She might even raise her son in such a manner to mitigate his ability to carry it out.

Durkon is supposed to bring death and destruction to them all, but nobody said how. Perhaps Sigdi knew, or had more clues.

Honestly, it looks like Kudzu is a far greater danger than a handfull of vampires. Once exposed, vampires are a pain, but they are killable. They might be the dearh for all in the prophecy, but I find this a very minor provocation in the grand scheme of things.

But what happens to dwarven society in the face of a dwarven high priest of Loki who provides an out for the dwarves who are not fond of Thor, who is only the better of the two allowed choices? Kudzu is dangerous, and he's only where he is because of Durkon.

Perhaps this is why Durkon's mother trained him to suppress his romantic urges in favor of his duty.

Whatever is in the back room, I'm betting it's Sigdi's answer to the prophecy of Durkon.

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Lol. I think that this is probably not an argument either of us will win. In my limited world view, prophecies are ALWAYS lies in the real world.
    That's irrelevant, because the story doesn't take place in the real world. It takes place in Stickworld, where, by all indication, prophecies are ALWAYS true. If it's not true, it's not a prophecy. Real-world prophecies have zero bearing on this.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That's irrelevant, because the story doesn't take place in the real world. It takes place in Stickworld, where, by all indication, prophecies are ALWAYS true. If it's not true, it's not a prophecy. Real-world prophecies have zero bearing on this.
    And the Oracle has nailed 100% thus far.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

22. - Top - End - #82
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

by all indication, prophecies are ALWAYS true. If it's not true, it's not a prophecy.
    If that’s the definition we want to use for prophecy, then I’ll concede the argument.

We have literally no idea, as readers, if there exists a prophecy regarding Duekon, since we have no idea if what the brewer said the high priest of Thor said the high priest of Odin said is a true statement that will definitely occur in he future.

Therefore, by your definition of prophecy, there is no prophecy for Durkon.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Colossus in the Playground

As is usually the case when someone starts pontificating about what We know, I am glad not to be part of that We.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    I'm dying laughing at Elan trying to talk Roy into switching to the Dominated side. Dominated or not, he's, uh, still very Elan.
    That's because, in reality he is not dominated. It's all an illusion in his elaborate game of 64 dimensional underwater backgammon he is using to defeat the vampires.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

25. - Top - End - #85

If that’s the definition we want to use for prophecy, then I’ll concede the argument.

We have literally no idea, as readers, if there exists a prophecy regarding Duekon, since we have no idea if what the brewer said the high priest of Thor said the high priest of Odin said is a true statement that will definitely occur in he future.

Unless we are shown that a prophecy has no divine origin and as such is not actually a prophecy, I see no reason to assume such. Why you insist on doing so is a mystery to me, especially when we are explicitly told by a high priest of a god that said god gave a prophecy. Again, this isn't the real world.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Didn't we see Hurak and Blackore's discussion in On the Origin of PCs, though?
    At some point you have to take exposition at face value,you know.
    Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I feel like something's going to have to turn the tide soon - Roy can't last much longer on his own. Possibilities include:

-Durkon's memory messing with Durkula somehow

-Belkar breaking the domination (maybe Minrah or Mr. Scruffy manage to grant him another save?)

-Hilgya breaking the dominaion (either Kudzu is endangered or she just can't stand taking orders from "Durkon")

-Roy discovering an amazing new power in his sword

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The pizza is Hawaiian, and the massages are deep tissue.
    I was just considering switching before, but you just made the offer irresistible.
    Best possible options for both.

29. - Top - End - #89

OldWizardGuy

Oh, come on, Rich! Just show us the rest of the memory already!!

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

I actually really like this, it will flow really well in the eventual book, even if it's a bit agonizing at the moment. Also, Elan really makes a great sell for the dominated side, and I love the comic title.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)