New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Crafting Questions

Alright i have a few questions that all pertain to the same Item, Which Is the Punisher From Trigun.

1. starting with crafting a masterwork weapon
    2. enchanting to +1 costs 1000gp, 80xp, and takes 2 days by my calculations. when enchanting to +2 would you just add another enchantment of +1 or would the +2 replace the +1?
    3. if i wanted to add a spell effect to an item, similar to a wondrous item, does that count as an enhancement bonus and take up space on the item's total enhancement bonus?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Crafting Questions

The question in part 2; neither. You pay the difference between them to step the enhancement up. For example; stepping a +1 up to a +2 (or equivalent like +1 bane) would cost 3000gp, 240xp, and 6 days.

The question in 3; no. Adding a wondrous item effect to a weapon or armour uses the rules for making a wondrous item not the ones governing magic weapons or armour.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Crafting Questions

For upgrading an existing weapon, you would pay the difference in costs; taking a +1 weapon to +2 would cost 8,000 (market value of +2 total enhancement) - 2,000 (market value of +1 enhancement) = 6,000 GP market price. If you're crafting it yourself, halve the GP cost and add in the XP and time costs derived from that as usual: 3,000 GP, 240 XP, 3 days of work. (Edit: changed XP cost, forgot this is based on market price and not crafting cost.)

Question 3 does not have a completely clear RAW answer. There are weapon enhancements that are priced as flat costs rather than + equivalents; those would just be added to the total cost of the item, but do not have any impact on the scaling cost based on the plusses. You could also simply enchant the item as a wondrous item. This would also not affect the item's cost as a weapon, but would probably incur the 1.5x increased cost for combining magical items. There's a lot of Ask Your DM there, and the precise answer is probably going to depend on exactly what you're wanting to achieve; if there are pre-existing weapon properties that could help create the weapon you're thinking of, it would be a lot easier to price out the end result. If there aren't, you're getting into custom creations, and that's almost entirely between you and the DM to work out appropriate prices for your game.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2018-06-13 at 06:10 PM.