New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default AC at starting level

Thinking of making a Barbarian as a back up character. We use the Standard breakdown for ability scores. With what I have planned my AC at 1-4 level would be a 14 (unless I use a shield) would a 14 AC be viable for a Barbarian from 1-4th level?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: AC at starting level

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson01 View Post
    Thinking of making a Barbarian as a back up character. We use the Standard breakdown for ability scores. With what I have planned my AC at 1-4 level would be a 14 (unless I use a shield) would a 14 AC be viable for a Barbarian from 1-4th level?
    Just wear scale mail. AC 16 easy, 18 with a shield.

14 could work but it's a bit squishy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson01 View Post
    It also depends on the type of barbarian you play - I believe one of them (all of them?) get a bonus when not wearing armor?
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

4. - Top - End - #4

AssassinGuy

Thank you to everyone who replied.

For a little more info the Barbarian would be Sea elf so +2 Dex + 1 Con
    Stats would be 15 STR 15 Con (14 +1) 15 Dex (13 + 2) probably 12 wis 10 Int 8 Cha
    Would be going with Storm Herald at 3rd

We also get a free Feat at 1st level so might take a STR boosting feat or could take a Con or Dex Boosting one.

With that in mind does that give any other advice?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Why not swap the DEX and CON at first level? So 14 CON, 16 DEX; 15 AC?
    Last edited by Naanomi; 2018-06-14 at 11:46 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

When I make a barbarian, I don't usually bother about AC. I'm reckless attacking and raging. My goal is to get hit.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

7. - Top - End - #7

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    Why not swap the DEX and CON at first level? So 14 CON, 16 DEX; 15 AC?
    I could I was also think I could use the Free Feat I get at first to ether boost Dex (resilient) or take Durable and get the plus one bonus to Con increasing my HP and AC. And this way at 4th I could put a +1 into STR and DEX. That’s why I wanna start with 3 15s (before the feat) across the physical stats then focus on STR after 4th level.

But debating if the bonus to attack and damage is more important at the first 4 levels.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Gourmand is a fun free feat to take. +1 Con and everybody gets 2 extra hit dice after a long rest.

You can be the group's raging chef lol

You'll be ok with a 14AC though. Just limit your reckless attacking of you're getting hit too much.
    Last edited by CTurbo; 2018-06-15 at 12:32 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

An AC of 13 is Viable for first level Barbarians. I've seen it plenty of times. Even a 12 once or twice.

But most Barbarians IMC buy a Chain Shirt (if they want to Stealth) or Scalemail (if they don't) as soon as they can get 50 gp together, for a (usually) 14-15 AC.

So yeah, AC 14 should be viable through end of T2.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Barbarians can crank AC or neglect it completely

It matters a lot less for barbarians than it does to most other classes because whenever you're playing, you're usually being attacked with advantage and attacking with advantage. Fights end extra quickly due to the extra damage, double criticals inbound and outbound, and typically any damage you take is being soaked by 50% due to rage regardless of AC.

I have a mountain dwarf barbarian I'm building as a backup character now and I would just walk around in nothing but clothes. I automatically have a competitive STR and CON of around 16+ apiece without even trying. Keep or attain a decent DEX score of 14 and enjoy the perks of high AC, no carry weight from armor, no disadvantage on stealth, higher initiative, etc. I would carry a shield and a battle axe into melee.
    Last edited by beargryllz; 2018-06-15 at 04:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

AssassinGuy

Thank you to everyone for your replies it was very helpful and help with my decision.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    When I make a barbarian, I don't usually bother about AC. I'm reckless attacking and raging. My goal is to get hit.
    Another enlightened Barbarian player. AC is for cowards. A Barbarian's armour is his HP and DR.

I'm level 13 and roll with a 15 AC because who gives a ****? I'm going to get hit, why waste thought on it?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Post Re: AC at starting level

Quote Originally Posted by mephnick View Post
    Another enlightened Barbarian player. AC is for cowards. A Barbarian's armour is his HP and DR.

I'm level 13 and roll with a 15 AC because who gives a ****? I'm going to get hit, why waste thought on it?
    Well at level 13 I’d consider taking my armor off to save carry weight no matter what class I was. Monsters’ to-hit values are just too high at that point for it to matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Well at level 13 I’d consider taking my armor off to save carry weight no matter what class I was. Monsters’ to-hit values are just too high at that point for it to matter.
    Another valid factor. Me and the 19 AC Fighter get hit the same amount because once things start swinging at +12 to +15 AC is irrelevant. Another reason why I'm not sure all these "optimization" guides care about AC so much.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mephnick View Post
    Another valid factor. Me and the 19 AC Fighter get hit the same amount because once things start swinging at +12 to +15 AC is irrelevant. Another reason why I'm not sure all these "optimization" guides care about AC so much.
    Be fair, most play is below level 7, and even at level 11 most monsters won't have much higher than a+7. A boss monster will, but his 35-odd minions won't.

AC also gets loads better if you can impose disadvantage somehow. Patient Defense and Blinding are the two best ways, IMO.

I agree with you about barbarian AC though. If you're going to play aggressively (and you should, you get hit less in the long run) you should absolutely be reckless attacking every turn, which basically cuts the value of your AC in half. The only counterargument I see is if there are a lot of solo monsters and you're playing an ancestral guardian lockdown build or something.