The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 62122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Aeons: In Search of Sanity II [IC - Group #2]

"H-hey, Don't leave me alone over here!" He bolts after the others with quick, light steps.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Double move down the hall it is then!"

2. - Top - End - #902
    Titan in the Playground

R13T16: Brother Jaume will double move down the hall and yell at the others as he passes, “If you need healing, come to me now!”

R13T15: "H-hey, Don't leave me alone over here!" He bolts after the others with quick, light steps.

R13T14: Jens, three of the party just bolted west. What do you do?

Maeni on deck, Dorn in the hole, Nadya delaying ...
    10/7/ 2019: I have completed reading Drop Dead Press' The Luchador (Sayre, 2014), and it is approved for playtesting.
    8/31/ 2018: Completed reading Paizo's Ultimate Campaign (2013, Buhlman).
    Spoiler: Player Schedule Notice
    Show
    Nothing of note.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Troll in the Playground

Jens

Jens follows after the rest of the party.

Show
    Double move to the west with the others.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

R13T14: Jens follows after the rest of the party.

End Round 13, Begin Round 14 ...

R14T28:
    Nadya then follows as well.

R14T21: Maeni, what do you do?

Dorn on deck, Flair in the hole ...
    10/7/ 2019: I have completed reading Drop Dead Press' The Luchador (Sayre, 2014), and it is approved for playtesting.
    Show
    Nothing of note.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Keeping up with the others, Maeni follows.

Show
    So yes, double move to the west.
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

R14T21: Keeping up with the others, Maeni follows.

R14T19: Dorn moves into the chamber beyond. "Ulver Zandalus, for you fit the description, stand and face justice!"

R14T17: Flair ceases concentration on the war totem and rushes down the hall towards the others.

Everyone: Comprising multiple toppled cells, the chamber before you looks as though it could collapse at any moment. Thousands of parchment scraps cover the walls, as if in a pitiful attempt to plaster the countless cracks. The flickering of dozens of candles illuminates the artwork’s subject matter: innumerable forlorn, surreal landscapes stretching into bleak infinities. The multitude of visions transforms the room into a threshold of nightmares.

A gaunt man with a ponytail of long and exceptionally straight white hair sits cross-legged upon the pallent like a Keleshyte mystic. He wears multiple patients' gowns that have been shredded and stitched to create a layered robe. His arms and much of his chest are exposed, revealing lines of charcoal and yellow chalk that streak his flesh, the most prominent of which appears to be a yellow flame on his forehead.

R14T16: Brother Jaume, what do you do?

Corbin on deck (crossbow unloaded), Jens in the hole ...
    Show
    Nothing of note.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume makes sure to catch as many of his people as he can in a blast of healing energy, focusing on any that are visibly injured.
    “Zandalus! This madness ends now!”
    He moves down next to Dorn.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Titan in the Playground

R14T16: Brother Jaume makes sure to catch as many of his people as he can in a blast of healing energy, focusing on any that are visibly injured for 6 healing - enough to completely heal Corbin, Flair, and Nadya. And though Brother Jaume isn't in the collective, those receiving his healing is, so excess healing is given through to just barely fully heal Dorn as well (out of range of the healing blast).

“Zandalus! This madness ends now!” he says as he moves next to Dorn.

R14T15.5: Upon spotting the PCs, Zandalus' eyes go wide and his mouth falls open. A voice like a tempest wind hissing over broken glass sheers from his split, motionless lips -- as though something other than Zandalus himself speaks from his body. "You're supposed to be dead. I already killed you. Why aren't you dead?!" With that, Zandalus yanks upward, as if a puppet on invisible strings. It is startling enough that Dorn and Brother Jaume do not get AOOs. He unhasps and readies a masterwork light mace.

R14T15: Corbin, what do you do? Your crossbow is currently unloaded.

Jens on deck, Nadya in the hole ...
    Show
    Nothing of note.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Dwarf in the Playground

Corbin dashes towards the fight, then ducks into the first available source of cover to wait for a better opportunity to strike.
    Show
    Double move to the space above Jaume, Acrobatics'ing through the threatened square (Moving at half speed).
    Acrobatics: (1d20+7)[26]

10. - Top - End - #910
    Titan in the Playground

R14T15: Corbin dashes towards the fight, then ducks into the first available source of cover to wait for a better opportunity to strike.

R14T14: Jens, what do you do? As soon as you are done your turn, your own vigor will end.

Nadya on deck, Maeni in the hole ...
    Show
    Nothing of note.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Troll in the Playground

Jens

This is going to be a bad idea. It will only cause me to feel guilt if it is true as I doubt any of us have a way to help. Jens thinks to himself as he hears and sees Zandalus' state, But I have to know.

Jens manifests a power, but no outward sign but the slightest narrowing of his eyes is visible and the power is swiftly brought to bear on Zandalus.

Spoiler: Swift Action
    Show
    Manifest Detect Compulsion on Zandalus 1 PP. No Save no Power Resistance (SR) Zandalus would have an amber aura EDIT: to Jens sight only if he is currently being Charmed or Compelled by another being.

Regardless of his power's results, Jens will attempt to add Zandalus to the collective.

Show
    Unwilling Participant, DC 15 if Animal Affinity is spent. DC 17 if the sheet is correct and he is still receiving a Wisdom Bonus from somewhere.
    Last edited by bcool999; 2019-09-14 at 10:17 PM.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Titan in the Playground

R14T14: This is going to be a bad idea. It will only cause me to feel guilt if it is true as I doubt any of us have a way to help, Jens thinks to himself as he hears and sees Zandalus' state, but I have to know. Jens manifests a power, but no outward sign but the slightest narrowing of his eyes is visible and the power is swiftly brought to bear on Zandalus. Sure enough, Jens psychically sensitive eyes detect an amber aura; but the aura doesn't emanate from him so much as it suffuses him. Jens then adds Zandalus to the collective. Jens then feels the faint energy that bulwarks his body against harm dissipate (vigor has expired).

End Round 14, Begin Round 15 ...

R15T28:
    Nadya flies in fast and is now above Dorn.

R15T21: Maeni, what do you do? You don't quite have a good bead on Zandalus right now.

Show
    Nothing of note.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Stepping closer to the fight, Maeni flicks her fingers with a word as a spark of electricity jumps toward Zandalus.

Show
    First, 5 foot step directly west, then casting Jolt.

Touch Attack - (1d20+3)[12]

(1d3)[1]
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

R15T21: Stepping closer to the fight, Maeni flicks her fingers with a word as a spark of electricity jumps toward Zandalus, but it misses wildly from all of the distractions.

R15T19: Dorn takes out the syringe and goes to stick Brother Jaume in the arm, but not before Zandalus hits Dorn weakly in the chest with his mace (doing no damage). Dorn presses the plunger, and Brother Jaume is fully healed. Dorn drops the syringe to the deck to shatter.

R15T17: What does Flair do?

Brother Jaume on deck, Ulver Zandalus in the hole ...
    Show
    Nothing of note.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Troll in the Playground

Flair runs up, getting into position. "Not in this iteration. You've seen it, haven't you?" he says as he advances. "How sometimes the walls are suddenly off shade, and the people around you have been swapped out? And how the new people sometimes don't notice the change?"
    Show
    Move up. I move 6 squares west. If I can see Zandalus from there, I'll set up my totem. If it isn't I'll take a second move action and move 15 feet southwest (so I'm southeast of Dorn and Nadya).
    I will also make the Knowledge check I mentioned earlier. Reroll if the dice is a 6 or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.
    Winner of MSE's Card of the Week #106 and #131
    You can now bind me as a vestige!

16. - Top - End - #916

BlackDragon

“This ends now, Zandalus!” Shouts Brother Jaume.
    He steps to the NW and his skin ripples and swells as he grows large once more. He attacks Ulver at 10’ reach with a flurry of savage powerful blows and kicks.
    Spoiler
    Show

5ft step to the NW, SwA growth, PA, Flurry of blows, stunning fist.
    attack #1 quarter staff (1d20+6)[9]
    damage #1: (1d8+10)[14]
    attack #2 stunning kick (1d20+6)[14]
    damage #2 (1d8+7)[12]
    Fort Dave DC 15 if hits

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

R15T17: Flair runs up, getting into position. "Not in this iteration. You've seen it, haven't you?" he says as he advances. "How sometimes the walls are suddenly off shade, and the people around you have been swapped out? And how the new people sometimes don't notice the change?"
    Spoiler: Flair
    Show
    There is absolutely nothing that can yet provide a clue. You don't get a Knowledge-roll-always-reveal-regardless-of-data roll. Instead, I did the roll for you (which I have noted on my battle tracker) and it will guide what you know as things become apparent.

R15T16: “This ends now, Zandalus!” shouts Brother Jaume. He steps to the west and his skin ripples and swells as he grows large once more. He attacks Ulver at 10’ reach with a flurry of savage powerful blows and kicks. He misses with the staff, and his kick skips off of an unseen forcefield screening Zandalus.
    Spoiler: Brother Jaume
    Show
    That spur of wall that Corbin is hiding behind keeps Brother Jaume from getting a 5' free move to the NW, so he can only do that due west, but still has room to enlarge.

R15T15.5: Ulver's wide-eyed countenance stays true .... on the left side of his face. On the right side of his face, however, he takes on a very cruel look. Despite being hounded by a giant with a stick and a smaller man with a hammer, Ulver studies the young, bespectacled man that seems to have inconvenienced him in some way. The two-faced nature of his look is terrifying. He seems to concentrate on something, but still wary of those threatening, and then at the end he gives his full focus to (or in a very real way at) Jens. Jens screams as his mind is overwhelmed with more information rolling off of Zandlus than he can process, and takes 15 mental damage.
    Show
    Until this point, you knew that Ulver had to be some type of psychic, psychically sensitive, or even psionic given just the bread crumb of clues that have led to this point. The total lack of visible components might throw some people, but not you. When you recognized that he obviously used a direct assault psychic attack, most likely mind thrust or the like, it is very clear that with Ulver's brilliant mind that he is not just a psychic in terms of anyone who has psychic power, but in nomenclature what is termed a "psychic" .... of the various known practitioners of psychic magic, the "psychic" is given that term not because they are generic, but because they are the true masters of the power of thought and emotion. With Jens seemingly distracted from a previous battle, it is very likely that Jens is at particular risk.

Meanwhile, there is something else Ulver was doing that didn't strike you as necessarily "psychic" and might bear more study on Flair's next round...

R15T15: Corbin, you had just run into position, and haven't really given yourself a chance to actually hide. Your crossbow is currently unloaded. Brother Jaume is also super-sized, which means if you popped out from behind your hiding point, you would have to do so by going NW (or attempt to snipe in position after hiding). What do you do?

Show
    Nothing of note.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Dwarf in the Playground

Corbin, seeing combat now well and fully joined, dashes between Jaume's legs, attempting to deliver an opportunistic bite to the cult leader.
    Show
    Move to square left of the z-man, acrobatics'ing through threatened square: Acrobatics: (1d20+7)[26]. Bite attack at z-man.
    Bite: (1d20+5)[11] Damage: (1d3+2)[4] Possible Sneaky Damage:(2d6)[9]

19. - Top - End - #919
    Titan in the Playground

R15T15: Corbin, seeing combat now well and fully joined, dashes between Jaume's legs, attempting to deliver an opportunistic bite to the cult leader, but misses.

R15T14: Jens, what do you do?

Show
    Nothing of note.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Troll in the Playground

Jens

Panting after the mental damage he took, Jens tries to clear his head as he glares at Ulver. Puppet or not, that hurt, and it's hard to emotionally separate Ulver from the actions he is likely made to do. Jens calls out to his allies, "He is being controlled by something. If his mental attack came from his controller, breaking their connection may weaken him."

Jens then reaches out over the Collective to Ulver and pulls at his lifeforce to restore himself.

Show
    Free action Talk
    Standard Action: Drain Health for 10 HP on Ulver, DC 15 Will save (12 HP and DC 17 if Jen's sheet is correct but I believe Animal Affinity is over so his wisdom should be 18 instead of 22) for half health stolen. Ulver takes a -2 penalty to the save due to Life Leeches Unwilling Participant ability adding a penalty to saves vs effects over the collective.
    Not sure if it works or not, but if Drain Health counts as dealing HP damage, Ulver needs to make another save (a fortitude save) at DC 15 (no penalty) or take 1 bleed damage from Lingering Pain.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Titan in the Playground

R15T14: Panting after the mental damage he took, Jens tries to clear his head as he glares at Ulver. Puppet or not, that hurt, and it's hard to emotionally separate Ulver from the actions he is likely made to do. Jens calls out to his allies, "He is being controlled by something. If his mental attack came from his controller, breaking their connection may weaken him." Jens then reaches out over the Collective to Ulver and pulls at his life force to restore himself.
    Spoiler: Jens
    Show
    He made his save, so you steal 5 from Ulver, and in turn give yourself 5.

End Round 15, Begin Round 16 ...

R16T28:
    Short on options, Nadya floats back 5' out of danger, takes out a potion of CLW, and then downs it. She is already healed, but Jens is able to get the 3 for himself.

R16T21: Maeni, what do you do?

Show
    Nothing of note.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Running seriously low on power, Maeni keeps snapping fingers, trying to lock on Ulver.

Show
    So, let's go with Jolt again, yay !

Attack - (1d20+3)[8]
    Damage - (1d3)[3]

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

R16T21: Running seriously low on power, Maeni keeps snapping fingers, trying to lock on Ulver, and misses again.

R16T19: Dorn calls for Torag's favor and attempts an onslaught now that Corbin is flanking. The first attack is wide, but the next attack - aided by Maeni's bless - finally finds a home as his warhammer skips across Ulver's head for 15. "I care not whether he is possessed or no, for the man himself is harmed by a holy power that burns true against evil."

R16T17: Flair, the war totem definitely seems to have had a beneficial effect for Dorn, if nobody else (yet). What do you do?
    Show
    So, it seems that Ulver - more out of canny insanity and internal cunning than any true "training" - has a skill set in combat reminiscent of a more cautious tactician. And it is definitely a combatant. As you see the manner in which he fights (high BAB), but is focused on Jens (not to the exclusion of anyone else, mind you), you get the feeling that the closest equitable skill set or type of fighting would be an admixture of warrior and scoundrel known as a "slayer." You might be able to figure out more, but you have to have more data, i.e., observe him in battle longer for a more in-depth analysis.

Brother Jaume on deck, Ulver in the hole ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-09-25 at 07:43 PM.
    Show
    Nothing of note.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Troll in the Playground

Flair continued, his tone relaxed as he walks slowly into view. "It gets difficult to keep them separate, doesn't it? The various versions of events. The who's and why's keep shifting, after all. But in the moment, you don't notice, not until something jars you back, when you find unignorable evidence something's wrong. There's a reason for that, you know."

Show
    Move southwest until I hit the wall until I'm 10 feet south of Zandalus.
    Maintain the totem.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.
    Winner of MSE's Card of the Week #106 and #131
    You can now bind me as a vestige!

25. - Top - End - #925

BlackDragon

BJ returns to his normal size some ten feet from Ulver. He swings his quarter staff in a tight circle before he steps forward growing large again.
    Spoiler
    Show

SwA:growth, full attack action at 5 ft reach, flurry of blows, PA
    (1d20+6)[11] #1 to hit
    (1d8+10)[12] #1 to damage
    (1d20+6)[13] #2 to hit
    (1d8+10)[17] #2 to damage

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

R16T17: Flair continued, his tone relaxed as he walks slowly into view. "It gets difficult to keep them separate, doesn't it? The various versions of events. The who's and why's keep shifting, after all. But in the moment, you don't notice, not until something jars you back, when you find unignorable evidence something's wrong. There's a reason for that, you know."

R16T16: BJ returns to his normal size some ten feet from Ulver. He swings his quarter staff in a tight circle before he steps forward growing large again, but both strikes miss yet again, with only the second attempt skipping off of Ulver's magical protection.

R16T15.5: Ulver steps away from Brother Jaume and Corbin (though still in reach of the former) to place himself in-between Dorn and Flair. His face still has that strange, split aspect - one half placid, the other half cruel (which relaxes for only a split second) - and looks to Flair, now seemingly studying him in lieu of Jens. "Yes, yes. I see different versions of you, too!" he says as he reaches out and touches Flair's left hand.

Flair feels intense and horrific pain as his limbs twist and buckle, while his body contorts uncontrollably, shifting and warping. Flair takes 5 NL, 1 DEX damage, 1 CON damage, and his speed is reduced to 20'. In addition, the pain is bad enough that Flair loses the war totem.
    Show
    1 use of Milo's lucky break used.

R16T15: Corbin, what do you do?

Show
    Nothing of note.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Dwarf in the Playground

Corbin lets out an annoyed gruff, digging for a potion at his belt and swigging it. He then steps up to further keep the pressure on Ulver.

Show
    Grab potion of Magic Fang off of bandolier, drink it, then 5 foot step into threatened square next to Ulver.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Titan in the Playground

R16T15: Corbin lets out an annoyed gruff, digging for a potion at his belt and swigging it. He then steps up to further keep the pressure on Ulver.

R16T14: Jens, you have no idea what is happening to Flair, but it looks damn painful. On the other hand, he did take the pressure off of you. What do you do?

Show
    Nothing of note.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Troll in the Playground

Jens

Jens winces as he sees the damage done to Flair. He has no idea what the cause is, though part of him wonders if Ulver is somehow forcing Flairs muscles to contract with their full force something that the brain and pain receptors try to limit as it is quite damaging to the body.

Whilst thinking over the unexplained phenomena, Jens continues to drain Ulver. This fight will soon be over if Jens can continue his attack unimpeded, it's only a question of how much damage Ulver will cause before he goes down.

Show
    Drain Health on Ulver for 10 HP Will save DC 15 (with a -2 penalty to the save) for half. HP drained is then redistributed among the collective with Jens being the priority and extra going against Flair's NL damage.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

R16T14: Jens winces as he sees the damage done to Flair. He has no idea what the cause is, though part of him wonders if Ulver is somehow forcing Flairs muscles to contract with their full force something that the brain and pain receptors try to limit as it is quite damaging to the body. Whilst thinking over the unexplained phenomena, Jens continues to drain Ulver. This fight will soon be over if Jens can continue his attack unimpeded, it's only a question of how much damage Ulver will cause before he goes down. Ulver feels the pain much more fully this time (10), even as Jens is fully healed and Flair is able to shake off 3 NL.

End Round 16, Begin Round 17 ...

R17T28:
    Nadya misses wildly with a ray of frost.

R17T21: Maeni, what do you do?

Show
    Nothing of note.