Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Aeons: In Search of Sanity II [IC - Group #2]

Nadya begins aimlessly looking in crates as best she can. There is nothing up here, not even the boxes themselves, worth repurposing, reusing, or otherwise keeping.

Dorn checks on the oneirogen first, who Brother Jaume absolutely savaged with blunt force. Dead beyond dead. The mists have stopped spewing from its mouth. As he does his study and Nadya searches (likely with other PCs searching this vast room as well), it becomes apparent after a few minutes that the mists outside the windows looks lighter as the mists in the room begin to dissipate. While the surrounding region is still awash in the deadly fog, much of the immediate area appears to clear, hinting to the PCs that destroying other oneirogens could potentially eliminate the threat of the mysterious fog.

Meanwhile, Dorn asks Jens to come over and help him out with the examination of the oneirogen's body. Dorn makes a brilliant medical assistant, even a first-rate physician himself, but Jens seems to have since surpassed him (and Brother Jaume). Dorn can tell that most of the oneirogen's organs have been ripped away, consumed by some force that seems to now be gone.

It's gonzo enough that Dorn asks Flair to take a look, given the young man's knowledge. Flair can verify that the corpse was exposed to extraplanar energies, and that the fog that once emanated from the body came from another realm, as if the individual somehow had a small portal inside of him. This, of course, tracks for an oneirogen. Given the nature of the fog and everything Flair has experienced or had reported to him, it seems that the other realm's most likely origin would be the Dimension of Dreams.

Once it is seen that there is nothing of value up here, Dorn will ask Brother Jaume to pray for the tortured man he was forced to kill because of a likely unwilling transformation. That done, the heroes do what they can to carefully scale down Corbin's rope (which is then returned to him).

The party returns without incident to Winter, and gives a report of their activities. The odd-(wo)man out is Nadya, who desperately wants a nap in a place that is not so crazed as the survivor camp.
    7/13/ 2019: I have completed reading Dreamscarred Press' Divergent Paths: Medic (Altovilla, 2016), and it is approved for play.
    3/4/ 2018: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Player Companion: Blood of the Beast (2016, Moreland).
    Spoiler: Player Info
    Show
    pfm1995: Out 7/22 thru 7/27

2. - Top - End - #692
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume is still injured but will gather any who need healing at the chapel before channeling his healing energy into a burst.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

The only person actually wounded (and not by much at all) is himself, so Brother Jaume channels energy and is fully healed.
    7/13/ 2019: I have completed reading Dreamscarred Press' Divergent Paths: Medic (Altovilla, 2016), and it is approved for play.
    3/4/ 2018: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Player Companion: Blood of the Beast (2016, Moreland).
    Show

4. - Top - End - #694

BlackDragon

BJ suggests that the group rest here before returning to the camp and exploring more of the upper levels.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

Dorn seconds Brother Jaume's recommendation for rest. Nadya is already asleep.

Any dissension for rest here?
    Show

6. - Top - End - #696
    Troll in the Playground

Flair agrees, though those in the collective know that he was of two minds on the subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.
    Winner of MSE's Card of the Week #106 and #131
    You can now bind me as a vestige!

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

Without any complaint, and with one member already down, it has been quite the busy day and the party falls behind its charismatic members and chooses to bivouac in safety at the Chapel.

Winter is reading a book from the library on the subject of advanced adhesives used as alternatives to sutures. Maeni will help guide the fledgling psychic Flair on spell control, as it seems that - despite not actually calling on any deity - some of his magic is divinely based (and something of a mystery to Maeni and Flair both). Corbin and Jens play rabbit games in the surrounding (relatively safe) rooms under the protective overwatch of the corridor guards. Brother Jaume studies foreign medical techniques (more of a holistic healing than western medicine), before Winter does a checkup on him (remember, he has the first stages of filth fever) and sends him to bed alone in the corner of the chapel. The 50-year-old Dorn engages in exhausting calisthenics before calling it a night.

Day 17 (or is it Day 14?)

The party wakes up, and to their relief finds that Big Bald Burly-Belly (i.e., Brother Jaume) seems to have kicked his illness!

What is the plan for today? Any change in setup?
    Show

8. - Top - End - #698

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume performs his morning routine of prayers and calisthenics choosing to keep the same spell selection as before. Refreshed and no longer feeling the effects of the fever he approaches the group.
    “Good morning everyone! I hope you all are well rested and ready to fight the powers of Chaos and Evil! Let us return to the lair of Zandalus and free ourselves and these good people from this nightmare. If we can locate more Oneirogens and destroy them, we can lift this fog!”

​The big man grins enthusiastically and pounds his staff on the stone floor for emphasis.
    Last edited by Blackhawk101; 2019-06-19 at 05:14 AM.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Titan in the Playground

When you look at Nadya, you notice that the strange "reflection" (if you'll call it that) of the thick yellow of her hair and skin and eyes that seem to match the yellow fog has dimmed. Her hair, skin, and eyes are still yellow, but a lot paler than before. Almost as if someone with a cartoon level of jaundice was starting to clear .... just a little.

Brother Jaume will put in his two hours of prayer and meditation, then a little bit of study of that foreign medical text. Then, once all is said and done, he appears enthusiastically, ready to put forth.

Flair conducts his psychic meditations, and then binds his spirit for the day.
    Spoiler: Flair
    Show
    Who are you binding? Roll for it, please.
    While waiting for everyone else to finish up, he reads up on various toxicology texts from the library.

Maeni does her prayerful meditation, studies her arcane texts and conducts arcane meditation, and then reads some fiction from the library concerning dragons. (It's comical how humans portray dragons in humanistic fiction.)
    Spoiler: Maeni
    Show
    Same setup, or different?

Other than some calisthenics and minor sharpening of his crossbow bolts, Corbin is more about watching the other patients on the other side of the room. He knows how quickly a mind can snap, and he looks for signs of danger.

After his various meditations, Jens reads a psychology text on the nature of fear while waiting to head out.

Dorn takes the longest with his significant prayer rituals, capstoned by his beating his hammer on the small anvil for 10 minutes in front of the shrine to Torag while singing a dwarven forging song.

And Winter, interestingly, looks over a few "soothing books" of children's nursery rhymes and lullabies. Of course, anyone who knows anything about nursery rhymes knows that they normally have pretty icky beginnings, but .... oh, well.

With everyone prepared and assembled, meditated, prayed up, and bound for the day, Winter looks at the group for the morning briefing. "Well, what's the plan?"
    Show

10. - Top - End - #700

BlackDragon

BJ notices Nadya and walks over to her.
    “How are ye feeling, Lass? Your color seems a bit less yellow of late!”

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

Nadya shrugs and says, "I feel like my mind has expanded, so maybe it's related to me being clear-headed?"

Maeni, do you do change anything in your setup?
    Show

12. - Top - End - #702
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Maeni prepares the same spells as earlier, but will quickly switch one spell once the team will have started to move after having casted mage armor.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So yes. But once we move, I'll cast mage armor, then expend 1 arcane point to quickly study my spellbook and replace mage armor with Protection from Evil.
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

Back to Winter's question at the briefing. "What's the plan?"
    Show

14. - Top - End - #704

BlackDragon

“Good morning everyone, again! Let us return to the lair of Zandalus and free ourselves and these good people from this nightmare. If we can locate more Oneirogens and destroy them, we can lift this fog! I believe we should explore up the stairs by the infirmary first.”

15. - Top - End - #705
    Troll in the Playground

"Pretty much." Flair says nodding."Wish I had a more of an idea of what to expect up there, but the fog makes that inordinately difficult. Still, it seems to be our best way forward."

16. - Top - End - #706

BlackDragon

​“Lucky the lass can see through the yellow mists so we don’t get surprised by some wee beasties!”

17. - Top - End - #707
    Titan in the Playground

Flair no longer shines like a torch. Also, the nearly-inspiring presence he had seems somewhat diminished.

Okay, what path do you want to take to get to the survivor's encampment?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #708

BlackDragon

North through the laundry and then right through the kitchen?

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

Dorn agrees. "Sounds like a plan. No surprises."

Winter nods, and the party equips themselves, gets into formation, and heads out.

The party gets safely to the Orpiment encampment on the complete opposite side of the asylum. Wren Elbourne will user the group into his little hospice, just to see if there is any news (again, he whispers not to mention your own safe encampment).
    Show

20. - Top - End - #710
    Troll in the Playground

"We took out two of our smoky friends" Flair said, his tone conversational as to not alert anyone. "Any advice before we head on up? I seem to recall you mentioning Zandalus having an enforcer, how did you say she fought again?"

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

"I remember," he nods slowly, the color in his face diminishing some as he remembers something. "One of those that wasn't 'lucky' enough to be crucified .... she strangled him to death. Eyes popping out of his head. Tongue lolling. It as the worst, singular act of violence I have seen since this unpleasantness occurred."
    Show

22. - Top - End - #712
    Troll in the Playground

Flair nodded. "We'll do our best to keep our distance then. We're gonna head on up now. Keep safe, and wish us luck"

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

"If I may suggest," whispers Wren. "Take the stairs to the south first. That is where the Bag Lady and some guards live. I doubt Zandalus and those with him will come to their aid, but you can bet she'll come to Zandaulus'. So going up the north stairs first is only going to mean you will get surrounded."
    Show

24. - Top - End - #714
    Troll in the Playground

Flair nods, putting his hand on the doctor's shoulder. Thanks. With a bit of luck, we should come out on top. Stay safe in the meantime, though. I respect that you won't abandon your patients, but if the worst should happen, don't be afraid to fall back." He then turned to the southern staircase.

25. - Top - End - #715

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume cinches up the belt of his robe and then brandishes his stout oak staff emphatically.
    “Swift justice shall befall this “Bag Lady” Doctor, never fear! We shall restore law and order to this former place of healing and free those trapped in it’s Dreams!”

26. - Top - End - #716
    Titan in the Playground

Dorn sets up the group according to his sense of tactics and the inputs of the others (see Discord).

I need to know what everyone has in hand or prepares before going up the stairs. What is in hand. Brother Jaume has his quarterstaff, obviously. And Brother Dorn has his warhammer. Corbin has his crossbow in hand, but what type of load (durable or normal)?

What about Jens, Maeni, and Flair?
    Show

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Maeni checks her spellbook, flex her fingers in case she has to use her claws, then casts a spell before checking her spellbook again.

"That should do."

Show
    Basically, casting Mage Armor then switching my prepared mage armor spell for summon monster 1 (planning to use it to detect things hidden with the dog.).
    So basically, 1 lvl 1 spell and 1 arcane point.
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Troll in the Playground

Jens

Thinking on the foe they are about to face, Jens thinks on his strategy and prepares himself for battle.

Show
    Jens will basically ready himself to manifest Animal Affinity on himself when he believes battle is close to being joined to increase his Wisdom. This will give him 2 more collective spots and increase his DCs for unwilling participant etc.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

The group begins to head up the southern set of stairs on the eastern wall. At the landing, the stairs then head northwards 20' to another landing, at which point the stairs then head up another 20' before getting to the second floor. This wide flight of stairs rises to a chamber that has almost entirely collapsed upon itself. Shattered pieces of wall and ceiling timbers, knotted like broken fingers, slump precariously. Despite the chamber’s near ruin, a number of tables, chairs, and bedrolls lie about the room. A hall choked with fog lies through a gap in the wall to the north.

Brother Jaume and Dorn, the first two to see the chamber beyond, get the sense that this area has been turned into a type of flophouse. A square table at the room's center is scattered with the remains of past meals and melted taper candles. Four battered mattresses serve as sleeping pallets in the room's corners, most heaped with a mess of tangled sheets that look luxurious compared to the camp below. Sitting around the table are three Apostles in Orpiment. They all stand up together as they notice the very large, rotund man and his bald head beginning to show, followed swiftly by the smaller, older man coming into view.

"Hey, you! Leave now!"

Begin Round 1 ....

R1T25:
    Corbin, battle has not yet been joined, as you hear someone above in that chamber that sees Dorn and Brother Jaume tell them to leave. What do you do?
    Show

30. - Top - End - #720
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not willing to barge straight into the room, Corbin tenses up, ready to leap for cover at the slightest oportunity.

Show
    Full Defense. Prepare to gunslinger's dodge into the bottom or bottom left square If Im targeted by any ranged attacks.