New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Post Players and DMS: Custom or General Minis?

Hello everyone,

I'm curious, as both players and DMs, do you prefer to have custom minis whether they are just painted Reapers or as specific as Herforge or do you prefer to have general minis for your characters? I find that I do both myself, but I wanted to see what others prefer.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

wink Re: Players and DMS: Custom or General Minis?

Quote Originally Posted by tmjr6 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm curious, as both players and DMs, do you prefer to have custom minis whether they are just painted Reapers or as specific as Herforge or do you prefer to have general minis for your characters? I find that I do both myself, but I wanted to see what others prefer.
    I, as a player, am an avid artist. Any time I have a character built for a game, I always try and sculpt them with clay. I'm actually doing some structural tests on said creations to increase durability, as I'm planning on starting an even more custom shop than Hero Forge.

So my answer would be, I try and have a super custom, even more than Hero Forge, mini. Plus it's cheaper if it's DIY
    Last edited by Grear Bylls; 2018-06-15 at 10:36 PM.
    Jalor's Guide to Hitting Things Really Hard: A Guide to Fighting Unarmed in 5e: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Yf1XaKuar0V3Sk

Warning! Rebuttals and arguing are part of a good conversation. If I rebuttal or argue with you, it's to have a good conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    In other words, unlike internet trolls, a 5e troll is best solved by constant flaming.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Players and DMS: Custom or General Minis?

Currently I'm using kinder surprise toys instead of figures. So unless I happen to be playing a Purple 3-Eyed Monster, an Otter or the Millennium Falcon topped off with the decapitated head of Han Solo my figures are going to be a bit off model.

Makes it pretty easy to see which fig is mine on the board though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

As a player, I don't care what my mini look like (or if it's even a mini; I'm just as fine using dice or other objects to represent creatures on the battlefield).

As a DM, I don't use minis, but rather hand-made token. I use metal washers on which I paste printed and laminated pictures of the various monsters and NPC the players encounter. I find it simple to build, I can easily have "unique" tokens for special monster/NPC, I can write numbers on them (using wet erase marker) to identify each monster on the board, and it's much easier to apply area of effect template on the board to see whether a monster is included in a given effect or not.

If some company was selling complete sets of minis for given adventures / campaigns, I would consider getting them. The current "randomized" distribution model used is not to my liking (I had enough of that when collecting MTG cards). Also, I always regretted not starting to buy the WotC minis when they initially came out (the pre-painted plastic minis that started with 3rd edition). I guess I'm still too much of an obsessive/completionist collector at heart; at least with my current system, my collection is always "complete".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I have hundreds of WotC minis from back before they killed the tactical game, so we use those. Occassionally I'll paint a mini for a PC or NPC. I'd never put HeroForge money into a mini because there's no guarantee the character will even last a session.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I played with just the HeroQuest minis and some occasional lego figures for years. I have a bigger collection now, but I have no problem with goblin minis representing kobolds. As for PCs, I just have maybe thirty assorted heroes, and people just pick the one they think comes closest, usually based on weapons and armour. One of my players sometimes picks a mini he has, and then makes a PC based on it, so it will fit neatly. I don't much care.
    I might have invested in an expensive custom mini for a recurring PC type, but so far it just seems smarter to wait until 3D printing evolves a little further, and I can something done with a friend who is into that sort of thing.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Since I play over Roll20, I have no need for minis. If I do ever get a chance to play in person, I think I'd just use whatever was easily available. I do like playing around with Hero Forge though, and I love that they let you take screenshots. For my next campaign, I built a figure of my new character and sent the screenshot to my DM to use as a Roll20 token.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

PCs and allies get 3D figures (either from my painted/cast-plastic collection or some players do HeroForge. That's up to them). Enemies (mostly) get pathfinder Pawns (2D cardboard figures that fit in sized slotted bases). They usually but not always represent something similar (so melee pawns with melee enemies, etc). Enemies of the "vast horde" variety usually just get bases, no figures. A very few special enemies get 3d figures. That way everyone can tell "one of us" apart from "one of them."

I don't use a full grid, just a whiteboard and a string ruler. So size is important, but other than that nothing's critical.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateWench

lego minifigurines does the job

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm not much of a painter, and I don't really have the storage space for a huge collection of miniatures. (There's an oxymoron for you.)

So I use figure flats. I've got library of files from a website which, unfortunately, is no longer online.

If I need an image that's not in that library, I'll create a custom character using HeroMachine 3 and print it out.
    HEY, WTF HAPPENED TO MY AVATAR?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

As a player, I greatly prefer representative minis that are at least close to my character. (for my current goblin ranger I am using a yoda mini from Star Wars Duels).

As a DM, I want to use things that are easily to distinguish from the PCs. For larger groups of similar enemies I often just use d6/d10s.

The dice have the side benefit that I can change them as they take damage representing how injured they are. Much easier than tracking 15 sets of hp for identical monsters moving about a tactical map.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

I've just taken up painting minis, purely for the sake of having a more constructive hobby and sharing it with my wife. Last night I got some skeletons to a state that I would mostly consider finished, I may go back and do some touch ups; I have a half dozen goblins I also intend to paint. I will also be seeking out and painting minis for every character I make from here on out.

As it stands right now, I certainly don't have enough minis to represent all enemies. However, just for hobby's sake, my collection will grow - my ambition is to one day have an awesome collection to use every time I DM, but that's a ways off.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

For my PCs, I have a collection of generic caster/archer/two-handed/shield and sword minis used to represent my characters. Anything close is good enough.

When I DM (AL), I prefer to use abstract tokens that represent the different monster types rather than minis. I find a board with 20 actual miniatures to be hard to follow unless I've already learned what all the PCs miniatures look like. I also like to have my tokens numbered so i can quickly and easily identify which monster is being attacked and track HP by logging it under that monster type/number.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Xaryo View Post
    Quoted for truth

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I have bags full of unpainted Reaper figures, odds and ends from wargame miniatures (especially Warhammer Fantasy), plenty of prepainted D&D/Pathfinder Minis, and a few custom print jobs. Many of my fellow players/DM's own much the same.

We all tend to make judgement calls based on time, effort, and how much we care about any particular character or game. The hierarchy goes something like: DM grabs something if needed> D&D Mini> Unpainted Reaper> Painted Reaper> Customized Reaper/Wargame kitbash> custom print job

You can tell how into any game we are by what we pick. This includes our Theater of the Mind games- we tend to pick out minis even if we never actually use them, just to have at the table above our sheets.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

My problem is that I have enough figures from Wargaming in the 1970s and 1980s to match just about all poses/weapons for human, Goblin, and Dwarf plus most common Elf and Orc but they are from the day when 25mm was ‘large’ and they are ‘dwarfed’ by today’s figures! Especially the Nolzur and, more so, Reaper figures.

Since I moved most of my large battle fantasy activity to 15/18mm figures several years ago I today strictly buy the 30/35mm figures I need for PCs, modifying as needed. I did indulge in 2016/2017 and bought Nolzur/Pathfinder plastic figures for Dwarf and Human but I find that the classes/weapons are not the ones I select or are Over The Top in detail/design. Clippers solve much of that issue.

No problem buying specific premium plastic figure where needed from Hero Forge. My Mountain Dwarf Monk has a winter based figure to go with my Reaper Summer garb/based figure.

I have no problem reusing painted figures. When first level Finellen Fireforge died in a first level TPK I brought back the figure Finellen Frostbeard with the same stats a few weeks later who made second level to restart my Warlock dip Fighter character play. Female Mountain Dwarf with Polearm is a useful trope type figure.
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Telesphoros View Post
    Thirded. They work surprisingly well and they are so much cheaper too.
    Probably true but they certainly would stand out in a group of Reaper or nolzur figures! 😂 Which is not a bad thing. 😇

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by tmjr6 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Generally, I use coins, bits of paper, markings on a whiteboard, or verbal descriptions. Occasionally I'll use lego figures or something. Whatever is handy and makes sense for the situation.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

in my case beggers can't be choosers. I don't actually own any mini, I just borrow them from the DMs (who have lots and lots of them). So, I use whatever they offer. However, I wouldn't care if it were bits of paper or dice either.

Frankly I use dice for all my summons (that was I can easily keep track of which summon is getting attacks and damaged).
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZorroGames View Post
    they are ‘dwarfed’ by today’s figures! Especially the Nolzur and, more so, Reaper figures..
    The Reaper minis are so damn big it's ridiculous. I actually refuse to buy them because they don't match anything else in the industry. Nolzur's are much better in every way anyway.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mephnick View Post
    The Reaper minis are so damn big it's ridiculous. I actually refuse to buy them because they don't match anything else in the industry. Nolzur's are much better in every way anyway.
    I started with metal and I still prefer it... but the cost puts me off anything not specific to my build/gear.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateWench

i'm just looking for excuses to get more lego

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

i'm just looking for excuses to get more lego
    As a War Gamer, long ago I gave up worrying about excuses.

That is why several years ago I had two days twice where I gave away boxes of miniatures, along with SPI board games, game mats, and only game paraphernalia- only rule was you had to come pick them up.

“Hi, my name is ZorroGames and I am a miniatures addict...”

Buy and enjoy. Excuses optional.
    Last edited by ZorroGames; 2018-06-23 at 07:40 AM.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SiCK_Boy View Post
    As a DM, I don't use minis, but rather hand-made token. I use metal washers on which I paste printed and laminated pictures of the various monsters and NPC the players encounter. I find it simple to build, I can easily have "unique" tokens for special monster/NPC, I can write numbers on them (using wet erase marker) to identify each monster on the board, and it's much easier to apply area of effect template on the board to see whether a monster is included in a given effect or not.
    This. I found a pack of 60 felt pads (used for furniture and whatnot) that come in the exact size for Large, Medium and Small figures - that are perfect for pasting laminated icons onto, for $1 at Dollar General. Might not be as durable as metal washers, but a heck of a lot cheaper

I've purchased a couple Heroforge figures - one, an iconic dwarf cleric with warhammer and shield (really, 1 handed maul, because their warhammer is weak, imo) - but I use him all the time... the other is a halfing druid that I just couldn't find an adequate faximile online for. Sadly, I didn't know until it was delivered, that Heroforge doesn't use small size bases - so my halfling is on a medium base, and looks more like a human child than a halfling... but it's still pretty cool.

The games I'm in are about half n half TotM and minis... I've come to appreciate TotM for it's quicker pace, though I still get a little irked in everyone visualizing combat slightly differently, and learning in the middle of a fight that some things weren't communicated well.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

25. - Top - End - #25

Back when I was in college, I bought a bunch of plastic toy figures from Dollar Tree, and a huge lot of variously-colored smaller plastic toy soldiers from a surplus store. I've found that as long as the PCs are distinct from both each other and whoever they're facing, we can keep track just fine even if the Elven Bard PC is being represented by a bright yellow horribly stereotyped "Indian Chief" figure and the kobolds we're facing are a bunch of tiny purple army men.

At some point I accumulated several boxes o' random figures at a library book sale, so now I have a bunch of older mostly metal figures I have yet to paint, and a bunch of plastic ones with bases that were probably for some game where you tracked something on the bases. (I also got several sacks of old Dragon magazines and random RPG materials. I think I paid a couple of dollars for all of this, because it was a small town library books sale on a Sunday afternoon and clearly no one else in this particular small town wanted a pile of old gaming stuff. I still haven't actually gone through all of it a decade later, but I have found some cool stuff in what I've looked at so far.)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    I also got several sacks of old Dragon magazines and random RPG materials. I think I paid a couple of dollars for all of this, because it was a small town library books sale on a Sunday afternoon and clearly no one else in this particular small town wanted a pile of old gaming stuff.
    That's how I got the better part of my Dragon and Dungeon magazines, too. I never even knew my library had those available until I saw them being rotated out. That was a good day!
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    That's how I got the better part of my Dragon and Dungeon magazines, too. I never even knew my library had those available until I saw them being rotated out. That was a good day!
    Around here, libraries sell off the donated books that they get at book sales several times a year rather than add those books to their collections (outside of special circumstances where the library can particularly use a copy of that book in their collection - I used to know someone who always read new Harry Potter books starting at midnight the night they were released and donated them to their local library later on release day, and those would get taken into the collection immediately since there was always a really long waiting list of library patrons who wanted a copy). Libraries also get rid of their excess books, and particularly their excess copies of the books they needed extra circulation copies of for the first year or two but need fewer copies of after the initial rush, that way. I've picked up a lot of books that way, usually books that I checked out of the library rather than bought initially. (I rarely buy books new in hardcover, and pretty much have certain price points I'll buy various books at depending on how much I care about owning my own copy. I buy most of my books used, and have lower standards at library book sales were things tend to cost $1 each than I do for regular used books.)

28. - Top - End - #28

PirateCaptain

Generic minis I have lying around for one shots and pick up games.

I’ll go hunting at my LGS for the party’s minis if I put a decent amount of time/love into running a game. Got some pretty good matches. Not perfect, but they work.

I really liked HeroForge for a while there, but since it’s expensive I’ve only doled out for a full set once on Christmas.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

My co-DM and I have been in the game for decades, and accumulated a pretty good collection of minis, so when a campaign starts, there is pretty much always a mini that "pretty much" represents each PC.
    They're all home-painted plastic or metal minis. (Although he just bought a 3D printer, so that's going to add to the collection.)
    The most important thing in being an adult is learning exactly what to give a <expletive> about, and exactly how many of those to give.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

My group and I have tons of Warhammer Fantasy miniatures, so there's usually plenty to go around for both npc's, monsters and players.