New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default AL Multiclass Optimization

So, for the next hardcover, I plan on making a character that is a bit out of the ordinary. Since this is Adventures League, if everything goes well they should be able to survive to level 20. Also, due to it being an AL legal character, I have to follow the PHB+1 rule, can't roll for stats, and can only use official sources like Xanathar's, Volo's, ect.. I'm looking to see if I can get it a bit more optimized then what I already have.

That said, I am adding my own little rule, which is what makes this character unusual. I am not allowed to have more then 4 levels in any one class. That means no 3rd level spells, no extra, attack, no abilities besides what you get between first and 4th level.

Here's what I have currently:

I plan on having my +1 be Xanathar's for the extra spells, though this is still changeable as I have not set anything in stone yet. This is still in the "proof of concept" phase

Race: Half Elf

Spoiler: Ability Scores
    Show
    I used point buy for these. My two +1 ability score increases went to Dex and Wisdom respectively.

Str: 8

Dex: 16

Con: 12

Int: 10

Wis: 14

Cha: 16

Spoiler: Classes
    Show
    Lore Bard: 4

Pact of the Tome Warlock: 4

Arcane Trickster Rogue: 4

Wild Magic Sorcerer: 4

Knowledge Cleric: 4

Now, as you can see from the classes, I am a caster heavy build. Having all those will net me a decent caster level of 13 thanks to the full caster classes and the 1/3rd caster arcane trickster. Meaning I'll still have 7th level spell slots to use my first and second level spells with. I already figured I'd only take spells that do not require a saving throw or attack roll to use for my Cleric and Rogue spells, that way I only cast with Charisma. I also realize I'll need to take spells that can scale well with being cast at higher level since I'll only have 2nd level spells at most.

This build is mainly going to be a skill monkey, especially since I'll be taking the Prodigy feat later on. And since I'll have 4 levels of each class, it means I get all of my ASIs, so I'll be able to spend an ASI or two on feats. So far I am starting as a Half Elf Bard, which nets me 5 skills to start with. Combine that with the customized background that grants two skills, a language, and a tool proficiency, and I'll be able to start with 7 skills, 3 musical instruments, a tool, and two extra languages.

I'm wondering if I can make this a bit more optimized though...I'm not sure how I can.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: AL Multiclass Optimization

I would do the following instead:
    Hexblade Tomelock /Shadow Sorcerer/AT Rogue/Whispers Bard

This gives you access to Xans spell list and feats, medium armor, and plenty of utility for a social/scout/stealth style. I’m not sure on tome or chain but Blade pact is not as good without level 5 espescially when you can’t use the blade cantrips. Tome at least gives more cantrips and offers rituals. Chain gives you a better Familiar so there is that.

Shadow Sorcerer saves you an invocation for seeing in magic darkness(sort of) And giving cheep darkness whenever you have spare points.

Whispers offers more for damage since you won’t have as much SA dice than many others, as well as some cool social abilities.

And you know what’s good in AT rogue so yeah.

This build also works thematically together so there is that. If medium armor and Hexblade curse aren’t what you want then GOolock might be better. With voice of chain Master and telepathyyou won’t have to speak unless you cast but that’s what Subtle Spell is for.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis_Elrod View Post
    I would do the following instead:
    Hexblade Tomelock /Shadow Sorcerer/AT Rogue/Whispers Bard

This gives you access to Xans spell list and feats, medium armor, and plenty of utility for a social/scout/stealth style. I’m not sure on tome or chain but Blade pact is not as good without level 5 espescially when you can’t use the blade cantrips. Tome at least gives more cantrips and offers rituals. Chain gives you a better Familiar so there is that.

Shadow Sorcerer saves you an invocation for seeing in magic darkness(sort of) And giving cheep darkness whenever you have spare points.

Whispers offers more for damage since you won’t have as much SA dice than many others, as well as some cool social abilities.

And you know what’s good in AT rogue so yeah.

This build also works thematically together so there is that. If medium armor and Hexblade curse aren’t what you want then GOolock might be better. With voice of chain Master and telepathyyou won’t have to speak unless you cast but that’s what Subtle Spell is for.
    Does Hexblade's curse still work with cantrips? Cause I'll never get the extra attack feature since I only have 4 levels in a class. I was figuring I'd go with Tome for the cantrips, specifically Primal Savagery. While I have no intention of being in melee combat, a d10 melee cantrip that'll key off my charisma and do acid damage is pretty nice , as well as Sacred Flame for a decent Radiant damage cantrip. That said, if the Hex does work, then I may go Hexblade.

And I'll have to check out the Shadow Sorcerer and Whisper Bard. I never really thought about the classes in Xanathar's for some reason, just the spells. They may actually be perfect for what I need.

EDIT: Ohhhh, if I go Shadow Sorcerer I could snag Shadow Blade. That would make me very effective in melee if the need arose.
    Last edited by sithlordnergal; 2018-06-17 at 12:46 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

I was going to say swap out the Cleric levels for Paladin levels but if you want to actively avoid melee, nevermind.

I say Vhuman 8 Str, 16 Dex, 14 Con, 8 Int, 16 Wis, 10 Cha and the Sharpshooter feat

Ranger 4 - Gloom Stalker, Archery, +2 Dex
    Rogue 4 - Assassin, +2 Dex
    Monk 4 - Shadow, +2 Wis
    Cleric 4 - War, +2 Wis
    Fighter 4 - Battle Master, Close Quarters Shooter if possible, something like Dueling or TWF if not. A feat like Alert, Mobile, or Magic Initiate

You'd have a ridiculous first round of every combat. You'd get 3 attacks, and 5 times per short rest you could make another attack with your Bonus Action. You'd also have 50ft movement on your first turn with the option of dashing with your bonus action too. Not to mention advantage on all attacks against enemies that haven't gone yet and auto crits against surprised enemies. Also an Action surge and battle maneuvers too.

Even after the first turn, you'd still be a ranged beast with a Longbow and impossible to see or track in the shadows.

You would shed armor and go unarmed at some point and end up with a 20AC

Hunter's Mark or Bless would be your go to concentration spells.

You'd ALWAYS have something fun to do with your Bonus Action.

Edit: I forgot that The Shadow Monk's Shadow Step is a 6th level ability and not a 3rd so no shadow teleporting for you, BUT it's still really strong as you'd get Minor Illusion, Darkness, Darkvision, Silence, and Pass Without a Trace.
    Monk of the Long Death with be a great substitution if that's a deal breaker. You'd get 9 temp hit points every time you killed something.
    Last edited by CTurbo; 2018-06-17 at 02:05 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

I like this so I'm gonna go again lol

Vhuman 8 Str, 16 Dex, 14 Con, 8 Int, 10 Wis, 16 Cha and Sentinel

Paladin 4 - Vengeance, Dueling, +2 Dex
    Rogue 4 - Swashbuckler, +2 Dex
    Sorcerer 4 - Draconic, +2 Cha
    Warlock 4 - Hexblade, Chain, +2 Cha
    Fighter 4 - Battle Master, Defense if armored or TWF/Archery, Warcaster

So with this build you'd probably go Rapier and Shield and spam Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade as well as smites almost every turn. You'd only have one attack per turn but you could pretty much always have advantage from your invisible familiar and your one attack would hit REALLY hard, plus you could use both Booming Blade as well as Sneak Attack with your reaction almost every turn between Sentinel and Riposte.

I chose Draconic mainly for the unarmored AC. You'd have 20AC unarmored with a 20 Dex + Shield.

This is a pretty straightforward melee build that stays stealthy and mobile, and really doesn't have any weaknesses other than Str and Int saves.

You could take Hexblade earlier, stay in Medium Armor and keep Dex at 14, make Cha the focus and then take some extra feats if you wanted.

6. - Top - End - #6

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sithlordnergal View Post
    Does Hexblade's curse still work with cantrips? Cause I'll never get the extra attack feature since I only have 4 levels in a class. I was figuring I'd go with Tome for the cantrips, specifically Primal Savagery. While I have no intention of being in melee combat, a d10 melee cantrip that'll key off my charisma and do acid damage is pretty nice , as well as Sacred Flame for a decent Radiant damage cantrip. That said, if the Hex does work, then I may go Hexblade.

And I'll have to check out the Shadow Sorcerer and Whisper Bard. I never really thought about the classes in Xanathar's for some reason, just the spells. They may actually be perfect for what I need.

EDIT: Ohhhh, if I go Shadow Sorcerer I could snag Shadow Blade. That would make me very effective in melee if the need arose.
    Ok well you can do tome and Hexblade, Hexblade is a patron and tome is. Pact boon. And yes Hexblade curse works on cantrips. Works on any attack roll.

Also shadowblade is on both warlock and Sorcerer lists. I wouldn’t worry about melee so much. Eldritch blast is great, but if you want primal savagery go for it. I will mention that psychic blades only work s with weapons tho, so it’s more useful with your shadowblade than the cantrips.

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    I like this so I'm gonna go again lol

Vhuman 8 Str, 16 Dex, 14 Con, 8 Int, 10 Wis, 16 Cha and Sentinel

Paladin 4 - Vengeance, Dueling, +2 Dex
    Rogue 4 - Swashbuckler, +2 Dex
    Sorcerer 4 - Draconic, +2 Cha
    Warlock 4 - Hexblade, Chain, +2 Cha
    Fighter 4 - Battle Master, Defense if armored or TWF/Archery, Warcaster

So with this build you'd probably go Rapier and Shield and spam Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade as well as smites almost every turn. You'd only have one attack per turn but you could pretty much always have advantage from your invisible familiar and your one attack would hit REALLY hard, plus you could use both Booming Blade as well as Sneak Attack with your reaction almost every turn between Sentinel and Riposte.

I chose Draconic mainly for the unarmored AC. You'd have 20AC unarmored with a 20 Dex + Shield.

This is a pretty straightforward melee build that stays stealthy and mobile, and really doesn't have any weaknesses other than Str and Int saves.

You could take Hexblade earlier, stay in Medium Armor and keep Dex at 14, make Cha the focus and then take some extra feats if you wanted.
    AL rules so, you can’t use scag with hexblade. You also can’t use UA (your post above used close quarters shooter).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I would definitely keep sorcerer level. With tome pact warlock you can have shillelagh you can pseudo extra attack with twinned spell and quickened spell using green flame blade and booming blade as pseudo extra attacks. You can make so with advantage with darkness and devils sight or you could take a eldritch blast enhancement and deal more damage or push away with 2 eldritch blast from quickened spell.

Sorcerer is the levels that would make your idea keep up with the higher level tiers. And probly the book of shadow invocation is finally not so great since it s only level 2 rituals.

As for wild magic, I can understand the randomness is fun but dragon origin or storm seems better suited for fights, especially since you wont control the choice of rolling twice on the wild magic sorcerer table. I'd rather take storm because you get access to good armor and shields with clerics and the extra 10 feet to get away from opportunity attacks is pretty nice.

I understand the knowledge cleric gets expertise and 2 more skills but you got already jack of all trades and 4 expertise, may be a tempest cleric would be awesome with a level 2 upcast shatter with max damage once per short rest.

Arcana cleric is also nice for the wizard cantrips and magic missile is always relevant.

Besides, jack of all trade + guidance from cleric is worth it as a skill monkey.

For the rogue arcane trickster you can trigger advantage for yourselves if you take book of shadow from warlock with find familiar so it would fo the same as tide of chaos and you could deliver cure light wound as a get back on your feet spell, although healing voice is better and you could twin spell it to get 2 allies on their feet. A booming blade/green flame blade + rapier would be decent with 3d6 sneak attack if you have a find familiar or ally within 5 feet.

Also, I would definitively not discount the variant human devils sight + observant combo with expertise in investigation and perception. You get a free skill, +1 wisdom and you will never miss anything again with passive perception and investigation sky rocketing. You will be able to read on the lips as long as you understand the language, wich fit with a skill monkey usefullness. You will alway be able to remember the DM you got over 20 in passive perception, he will hate you for that.

I also wouldnt discoubt disonnent whisper with a good twin spell, triggering opportunity attack on 2 creatures and delayong them.

Twinned phantasmal force could be devastatingly disruptive too and if you have subtle casting it could be used rp wise too. Intel save is awesome and it is a spell that doesnt need to make damage to be nice and it is always relevant as a level 2 spell slot.

Armor of agathis is nice buffer too that do level up nicely when upcast.
    Last edited by Belier; 2018-06-17 at 06:24 PM.