New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Mega-multiclass Eldritch Blaster build

I've come across some forums post, describing a
    "Sorcerer 1/Warlock 4/Sorcerer +3/Rogue 3/Fighter 2/Warlock +7" build.

Since I am doing a similar build on a brand new level 8 character I just rolled, I wanted to ask for advice if anyone tried to play the type of character before.

Fluff wise, I will make the Eldritch Blast into 'Bowshots' and the character will be kind of a Half-elven Assasin.
    The focus will not be on being a good caster (then Warlock2/Sorc18 seems the best), but on improving the Nova round and following DPS round for an Eldritch Blaster.

The stats I rolled were:
    13/13/13/16/14/13 - so I already wanted to make a MAD build from this.
    Our party already have a Wizard, Moon Druid and Cleric for casting and an Eldritch Knight for tanking/Melee with the Moon druid.

So my theory-crafting goes as such:
    I want to go some kind of nova build with Assasinate, high stealth, high initiative and still have a solid defence and DPR (I am greedy!).

Therefor I thought about (classes and feats in no particular order):
    Classes:
    Shadow Sorcerer 4/Hexblade Warlock 2/Assasin Rogue 4/Oath of the Ancients Paladin 8/Fighter 2
    Feats
    Elven Accuracy, +Char, +Char, Alert

Other abilities
    Fighting style defence, Agonizing blasts, Aura giving resistance to spells, 4th level spell slots

Attacks
    All the assassinate goodness (Autocrits on surprise, advantage when higher in initiative order).
    +7 initiative.
    Hexblade curse->Eldritch blasts for +11 to hit and +11 dmg.
    Darkness shenanigans for advantage.
    Nova with Action surge and subtle spell for up to 12 Eldritch beams in same round.

Defence
    ca. 150 HP @ 20
    19 normal ac (Breastplate, Shield, Defence fighting style)
    Saves are +12/+7/+13/+8/+7/+10 if starting fighter.

Do you have any thoughts on the viability of this?
    I sacrificed all the spellcasting from later lecvels for Paladins defence - but I am not sure the paladin class gives me much of anything, but those amazing auras.

In regards to leveling, it will be a pain in the ass, but I am thinking 2Fighter/4Sorc(Elven Accuracy)/2Warlock for my level 8 start and then go Straight for Assassin (Rogue 4, +Char).
    This will have the 'core' Nova build finished around 11/12.
    Afterwards I will build the paladin levels to 20 (straight up defense to protect the core build).

Any thoughts or tips are very much welcome!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Mega-multiclass Eldritch Blaster build

Hi! No much time to go into detailed analysis, but there is already something that spring into my eyes.

On one side, you build high damage ambushes.
    On another side, you want great protection.
    Seems to me like an half-assed mindset to be blunt.

Either you're confident in the fact you'll manage ambushes, then you should just ensure you have all the tools for it.
    Either you're not, and you should drop the Assassin archetype altogether.

Especially since for the kind of surprise attack you plan, based on Eldricht Blast, Paladin levels are mostly wasted: Extra Attack, smite spells, Divine Smite are all useless. And if you kill enemies, then Auras are useless too.

Assassinate build: completely drop Paladin. With those 8 levels, grab 2 levels in War Magic Wizard (bonus Initiative, plenty of utility spells and rituals), 2 into Bard (healing spells, Expertise, Jack of All Trades) and 4 more in Warlock (so you can get more Eldricht Blast and Hex related Invocations and still get one ASI).
    Or just push straight Warlock if you don't care about grabbing extra bonus to Initiative or spell versatility.
    Your role will be to scout, report back, then coordinate with party so you take the jump on the biggest/ most dangerous foe. No big deal if you "downsize into plain EB user" after that: you already contributed much, let the party cover for your weaknesses if fight gets on. Also you would still have plenty of spell slots and great array of spells to use too.
    With that build, you could also be a "loner in group", using guerilla tactics as an advance party to pick off isolated targets or harassing the enemy while the rest of your group is catching up with you.

Non-Assassinate Eldricht Blast Gish: swap Assassin for Arcane Trickster or Swashbuckler, eat into one Paladin level to get Rogue to 5 for Uncanny Dodge, you're set.
    You can still scout greatly, but now you'll make party-wide ambushes and go straight from surprise to the frontline. Although using slots on Divine Smite would not be recommended, you'll have enough spells available to buff your allies or yourself in a meaningful way.
    Last edited by Citan; 2018-06-18 at 04:01 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks Citan - if that is your 'quick' response, then I'm looking forward to the throughout one :)

You are indeed correct - the paladin levels was mostly to have those amazing auras and to ward myself when the DM finds out he wants to kill the anoying Eldritch Blaster!
    But looking at it again, because of your post, those levels will kick in too late to matter a lot.

The assassin build is really tempting (I was looking at 2 levels of war magic wizard myself, but did not consider Bard levels for Jack of All Trades).
    The con, is that I don't think the group is stealthy, and I don't like to scout too much alone (d&d is a team game after all). On the other hand it fits the character concept pretty good (my old 7!! constitution halfling bard just died, so this character will be a new addition to the group).
    So all in all - I think I will go the scout/assassin build:
    I am not sure I want to go Warlock 6 - so right now I'm stuck at:
    2WarWizard/2Bard/4 Warlock/4ShadowSorc/2Figher/4assassin
    I guess the last levels are 18-20, so It doesn't matter that much. Maybe druid(moon) for style points in having 7 classes :O.

Next problem is leveling. We are at level 8 now, and will play rest of Storm Kings Thunder (ending at level 10-11) - and then continue on a GM created adventure.
    So I would like to be OK optimized @8 and hit a peak again at 10-11 (3 eldritch blast at 11 will be a good peak!).

I am thinking the 'assassin' core would be 3Assassin,2Warlock,2Sorc,2Figher.
    But that gives level 9 and no stat increases (I really need +1char through Elven Accuracy for my 16 in Char).
    An alternative would be to delay the Suprise nova round and go 4warlock/4Sorc for steady EB damage with Darkness, Elven Accuracy and 18 charisma.
    Then take Fighter to level 10 and be optimized there.
    Afterwards its just Assassin4 (max char)->Bard2->WarWizard2->- to level 18.

The build comes online a bit late (level 13) but it seems fun.
    I think ill give it a go - but it seems inferior to the 2WL/18Sorc Eldritch blaster because when the Nova build gets going, it is so late-game, that the high level spells will be better overall.

:D Ohh the joy of theory-crafting!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

For my version... or at least the updated version with newest materials...

I wanted four of the Eldritch Blast boosting cantrips (Warlock 7); Action Surge (Fighter 2); Autocrit surprise attacks (Rogue 3); and access to Quicken and Distant Metamagic (Sorcerer 3+); leaving me 5 levels which probably are best served getting more Sorcerer points in the pool. Hexblade and Shadow Sorcerer are the obvious choices; chain or tome Pact

I need at least 3 ASI... Spell Sniper, Elven Accuracy, and +2 Charisma

Half-elf is the obvious choice; with 8/14/16/8/12/17 point buy. If not in AL, SCAG variant Half-Elf with Mask of the Wild would be great

Sorcerer 1/Warlock 4/Sorcerer +3/Rogue 3/Warlock +3/Fighter 2/Sorcerer +4? Or... try to get the ASI sooner and delay Warlock/Fighter levels?
    Last edited by Naanomi; 2018-06-18 at 10:31 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for the reply Naanomi.
    You are the one who inspired the build in the first place

I don't think the higher level Warlock levels adds much to the eldritch blast in my campaign (120 ft is plenty in combat, and Repelling blast only works once/round).

I have got my hands on Wand of the War Mage +2 (though I will have to leave my shield behind, unless I take warcaster - and I am already short on feats).

So I am locked on the Sorcerer 4/Warlock 4 start for my level 8 and then taking 2 levels of Fighter for level 10. Afterwards I will build the Assassin/max initiative/stealth build as described earlier with Assasin4/Bard4/Warmage2.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

It was definetly a stylistic choice to care about more than 2-4 Warlock Levels, though hitting at max range was part of my schtick; I’d have taken Spear over Repelling if I had to choose

(repelling works more than once, BTW, it is Lance if Lethargy that only hits once per target per round)

A more ‘duelist’ build less concerned about maximum sniping range or combat control, would likely take Empower over Distant as well
    Last edited by Naanomi; 2018-06-19 at 07:46 AM.