New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Mallside 10

1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Mallside 10

[Nommin' on Pretzels]

Reinholdt is forced to shift into humanoid fey form to enjoy his pretzel. It's really not healthy for small cats to eat large pretzels. Probably. It's questionable healthy for humanoids too. But it is delicious.

"It's good, thank you. The cinnamon dip really makes it exquisite."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

[An Oddly Quiet Food Hall]

"Ah. Ahaha, oh, it's good to know there are still people like you in the Nexus." The Prof looks absolutely delighted. What a joy it is to encounter someone possessing ambition without an unhealthy obsession in such works of fiction as gods and godhood. There's been far too much god talk lately. "You're quite right of course - we are driven by that which we do not have, what we don't know, what we haven't achieved yet." Affy chuckles, "A problem I've found myself wrestling with lately. What do you do when you've achieved everything you set out to do? Perhaps, mm, I should've taken a page from your book, hmm? I should've made a much longer list to begin with. Ah, I apologise, it's been a while since I've had such an intellectually stimulating conversation - let me know if you tire of this chat, and I'll get on with demonstrating what I'd like to offer you."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Nommin' on Pretzels]

Reinholdt is forced to shift into humanoid fey form to enjoy his pretzel. It's really not healthy for small cats to eat large pretzels. Probably. It's questionable healthy for humanoids too. But it is delicious.

"It's good, thank you. The cinnamon dip really makes it exquisite."
    I’m glad you like it, they’re really nummy.

So, any good furniture places here?

Oh, what do you think in terms of color, I know he has that whole purple thing going, but I feel getting him a purple couch is a little on the nose.

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

[Pretzels]

"Don't you want to be on the nose for furniture so it doesn't clash with anything else?" Reinholdt thought that was the goal.

He ends up shrugging though. "I wouldn't know. I don't know a thing about furniture. Haven't bought any my whole life." So he definitely doesn't know if there's any good stores around here for that sort of thing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

Shazhan leans back in his chair, and while his "face" isn't able to form any human expression his eyes seem to shine especially bright when Affy chuckles. "Indeed." He agrees, sounding amused. Suggesting the glow might signify enthusiasm. "There was a time when I seemed to have lost a clear purpose, until I learned that I must create my own. There is no other force than ourselves that can drive us to accomplish the impossible. But speaking of which, I get the idea that you are a master of doing just that so tell me of these offers of yours."

6. - Top - End - #126

"That's one way of putting it. But, mmm, if you do the impossible, it just means you didn't understand what was possible to begin with. Still, I see your point - to many people it would certainly seem imopssible." Affidavit twirls his cane and gives it one firm tap against the ground. "I have the privilege of being responsible for the existence of a truly unique form of life. In all my time in the Nexus, I've never seen anyone even come close to creating the same sort of thing I did. Something utterly unique - something that only I could provide."

As Affy talks, a thin layer of fluid-like metal slides off from every metal object in sight - handrails from the escalators behind them, from the frame of every table, every chair, including the one Shazhan is sitting on. Myriad pools of mercurial metal scattered all over the food hall.

Another tap of the cane.

"My Creations. Living metal creatures, so much more than the automatons everyone always mistook them for. At first, their design was simple, my inspiration very...mundane. I built them to mimic various forms of life. But the Nexus is a wonderful place for inspiring the mind. I learned. They grew more advanced, very quickly."

The various pools of metal slither over towards them, forming one large pool by the side of their table.

"The Creations, such as they are, exist on their own now, without my guidance. But that doesn't stop me from making a new one. Our friend here has a sort of, mmm, distributed form of intelligence. As a whole it is quite advanced. As it divides itself up, each part can function on its own in steadily simpler manners. But it's still enough to, say, record everything in this food hall. And when each little piece is such a simple creature, it becomes practically undetectable. You'd notice a whole anthill, yes? But would you notice a single ant sneaking into your house every day to watch you?"
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Pretzels]

"Don't you want to be on the nose for furniture so it doesn't clash with anything else?" Reinholdt thought that was the goal.

He ends up shrugging though. "I wouldn't know. I don't know a thing about furniture. Haven't bought any my whole life." So he definitely doesn't know if there's any good stores around here for that sort of thing.
    I guess you’re right.

I suppose it’s Electronics Asylum for you, though.

Especially since the alternative is MagMart.

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

8. - Top - End - #128

Shazhan's eyes flare again as soon as Affy uses the word "unique".
    He then leans forward, folding his mummified hands together as the professor starts explaining.
    Immediately as Affy finishes, the ethereal speaks up, asking a question that he must have had all this time. "Why did you make these beings? You say they are independent from you, was this always the purpose? To me, a machine is something that only does what its tasked to do, but once it does more it becomes something else. So, were creations of yours intended as tools that became something more, or was the goal always to make something that would eventually break free?"

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felandria View Post
    I guess you’re right.

I suppose it’s Electronics Asylum for you, though.

Especially since the alternative is MagMart.
    [Pretzels]

"Right. The Electronics Asylum." Reinholdt affirms, not telling Felandria that the stuff he's buying is far too shady to be held in that type of store. Generally not sold in malls at all. But that's ok. He knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a girl and they all like money.

"I'll trust you to pick out some good furniture! Good luck! I'll meet you back here when you're done." Reinholdt turns to head off to go get his illicit shopping out of the way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

10. - Top - End - #130

"The goal was to create a new form of life and then perfect it. Machines are, mm, too limited. Even a self-learning machine can't evolve in the way my creations did. To say they broke free is a little inaccurate. Hmm, consider our friend here with its distributed intelligence." Affidavit nods to the pool of metal and with the signal from the cane, it starts to divide into smaller and smaller pieces.

"When I abandoned my original body, I took up residence within the creations' mental network. In this case each new creation does not diminish the overall intelligence as this thing does when it divides, but there was only ever one me. So while my intelligence did not diminish, my personality, my sense of self was gradually distributed over more and more bodies."

The pools continue to divide, rapidly, tens become hundreds become thousands until they're all so tiny that they're barely visible. "This, essentially, is what happened to me. I became distributed over so many bodies that eventually it became impossible to observe the me within them. All this was expected. All this was prepared for. The me sitting before you is the "backup" of sorts. The real me is still in the creations somewhere, but it'd be a monumental task to ever draw him back out. He achieved his goal - they stand on their own without need for guidance any more. I have no desire to pursue a similar course, but making a single new creation, made to your exact specifications insofar as is possible? Well, that's something I can quite happily do. And you would have quite the collector's piece."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Bob View Post
    [Coyote House]

Well that wasn't really where she was expecting this to go.
    "Er...very interesting story?"

'Lara' glances down at the mention of corn cake, before slowly shaking her head.
    "No...thank you. So you're helping for the sake of the story?"
    Something like that. And she did seem like a nice person. But I don't suppose you've encountered too many nice powers, have you?
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Coyote House]

That isn't a suspicious topic direction at all.
    Although perhaps, mostly just worrying?
    "When you live in darkness, you can't be surprised by the lack of light."

Somewhat melodramatic, but she did always devote herself to helping the less-than-happy portions of the world, where positivity was lacking.
    Things were even going pretty well, up until they weren't anyway. One bad decision and it was a very literal end to everything positive in her life.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

13. - Top - End - #133

Shazans attention turns to the creation as Affy indicates it. "So not completely unlike my own kind then. Many individuals, all linked up to one another in a greater "hive-mind"." He observes.
    "But having something like that... well, what did you say you wanted in exchange again?" The shine in his eyes indicate that they considering this interesting at the very least.

14. - Top - End - #134

"I'm not sure there is any degree of individuality left among the Creations, but it doesn't sound dissimilar." At what point does a hive mind cease to be a whole made up of many individuals and instead becomes an individual with many bodies?

"As for what I'd like in return..." Affidavit pauses, smiling slightly, his eyes focused on Shazhan. Seems he's got the ethereal's interest, yes? This certainly seems promising. He quietly, rhythmically taps his cane as he contemplates the question. Of course he already has an answer, but sometimes it's fun to drag things out just a little to try and entice the other person just a little more.

"I would like access to KABAL's services, ideally some form of, mmm, priority access if such a thing can be arranged. And I'd be delighted if you could offer me some form of technology unique to your kind that might similarly capture my interest."

15. - Top - End - #135
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just Outside Arcane Threads

"We'll get you something to eat later, Fidelia," Saint Lazarus promises as she leads the way through Mallside, garbed in her usual feudal-era plate armor, her zweihänder sitting in a scabbard tied to her back, obnoxiously defying historical accuracy and efficiency as it hangs there, almost useless in any sort of situation where she'd actually need to use it. Mallside is usually good about keeping people from causing that kind of trouble, though. I'm sure everything will be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

16. - Top - End - #136

Just Outside Arcane Threads

"That's fine, I can wait." Fidelia reassures Lazarus as she follows close behind, a threadbare jacket far too large for her wrapped around a scrawny form in a worn tee and torn leggings. She shivered at the feeling of her bare feet on the tiles of the mall, glancing around the place with a slight sense of wonder. She'd never been in a mall before - the paid security tended to throw her kind out anyways - and the relative opulence next to the dirty streets of Skyside or Jen's respectable apartment was new to her.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

17. - Top - End - #137

Just Outside Arcane Threads => Arcane Threads

"So I don't know if there's any sort of designs you like, or aesthetic you're really into, but I was thinking we'd start with a pair of shoes, some socks, and just two or three full outfits, and try to keep it under [a fairly modest budget]," Saint Lazarus explains, leading the way into the store. It used to be nice, shopping in places like this for herself. Nowadays it's just too much trouble for Jen to show her face here. She knows her mom still comes here now and then, hell, she's seen her mom walking around in Mallside before. Nearly had a heart attack before she remembered that her mom can't see through helmets and also that her heart doesn't actually function anymore.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

18. - Top - End - #138

Arcane Threads

"...I'm, uh, not really sure either." The urchin look a little sheepish at this admittance. Not having much of a luxury when it came to clothing was just something she was used to, and it had never really hit her until just now that most people had a much better selection than whatever they could snatch from an outdoor display, found discarded on the streets, or scrounged up enough money to buy from the local Magvation Army.

Nodding curtly at the restrictions and inwardly repeating them to herself to help remember - as well as making a mental note to look up what "aesthetics" were - Fidelia will drift towards the aisles, looking through them curiously. There were so many different designs, so many vibrant colors and fresh, new articles of clothing. It was a degree of choice that was far beyond what she was used to. Eventually though, her drifting comes to a stop, and the woman pauses in front of a rack of skirts, myriad in style, color and length. She just kind of stares at them for a few moments, as if oddly afraid to touch them.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

19. - Top - End - #139

Arcane Threads

"You're allowed to go change and try clothes on over there, Fidelia," Saint Lazarus explains, pointing out the dressing room I hope Arcane Threads actually has so I don't look like a complete dingus, assuming things about a location that doesn't belong to me.

"We don't get charged for the clothes unless you decide you like them enough to take them home. We've got at least two or three hours to spare, and I hear this place has everything, so take as long as you need. I'm here if you need anything. Figure out what's you," she says, leaning against a wall, trying to look casual in medieval plate armor.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

20. - Top - End - #140

Arcane Threads

Fidelia nods, but it's not nearly with the same attention that she normally would. Like she's only sort of registered what Lazarus had said, more focused on her own thoughts than the vigilante's words. Taking a small step forward, the woman reaches out, hesitantly lifting one of the skirts off of the rack. She holds the black garment gingerly, staring at it for a second.

"I... I just realized I've never worn a skirt before." She speaks quietly, slightly more to herself than to Lazarus in particular. That's... that's what girls are supposed to do, right? Wear skirts, go to school, look pretty? Go home and spend time with people they cared about every day? Things Fidelia never really got to do, especially not since her father passed all those years ago. But now, she might be able to have those things she missed.

Pressing the garment close to her chest, Fidelia takes a deep breath, wiping away a tear from her eye. A small little smile forms on her lips, and she tucks it under her arm, before turning to start looking through the other racks. She's still kind of drifting, a little unsure, but she seems... happier, feeling a little better about herself.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

21. - Top - End - #141

Arcane Threads

Jenette Saint Lazarus more or less remains put, keeping a close eye on Fidelia, giving her a thumbs up when something she picks out looks like it might be the right size for her, and mostly just trying to let Fidelia make her own choices without Saint Lazarus's own opinions and tastes muddying the waters here. If that means Fidelia ends up coming out of the changing room wearing tye-dye shirts and striped leggings, or formal white button-up shirt with bright red short shorts, so be it. Let Fidelia have her fun for now. She'll save the 'maybe you should try something a little more sane' talk for when it's time to ring everything up with the cashier.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

22. - Top - End - #142

Arcane Threads

Fidelia spends a while trying on new outfits of all sorts - nothing as outlandishly atrocious as a tuxedo and short shorts, but she certainly takes the time to experiment and try new things, looking towards Lazarus for approval. In the end she returns with a pair of sneakers, some plain white socks, a pair of comfy cargo pants and a tank top, a mid-length black skirt, simple stockings and pink sweater, and a green tee shirt, hoodie and jeans. "These... these aren't too pricey, right?" She asks with measured hope, suspecting that she was probably a dollar or two over budget.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

23. - Top - End - #143

Shazhan appears to be considering this offer for a moment. "Is there any specific kind of technology that you're especially interested in? My people have a disdain for weapons, but as I always say, any technology sufficiently advanced can be used as a tool for mass destruction if you try hard enough. I should mention that owning any of my people's technology will automatically brand you as a criminal by their laws. But I suspect that such concerns stopped mattering to you eons ago. Even the goblins are getting away with it these days."

24. - Top - End - #144

Arcane Threads

"You're good, Fidelia." Saint Laz assures her, as the clothes are rung up. In actuality, Fidelia is a few dollars over the budget, but that's fine. Saint Lazarus isn't going to mention it. Jen will just take it out of her food budget and make Fidelia eat dog food later. It simply means she'll need to work harder and take on wealthier-looking criminals to make rent this month. Maybe tear through that one bar owned and operated by one of the Skyside gangs she's been harassing recently. That's fine, though. Fidelia seems like she hasn't been allowed to be happy or optimistic about anything in a really, really long time. What kind of hero would she be if she didn't splurge a little now and then to help the downtrodden feel less trod upon?

"Okay, now before we head to the food court, was there anything else you might need, while we're here?" Saint Laz figures the beggar girl's probably too overwhelmed by this show of generosity as is, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

25. - Top - End - #145

Arcane Threads

Fidelia nods, but even so, she keeps an eye on the cost as the garments get rung up, wincing a little bit when she notices that she had indeed gone a little over budget. She didn't know a pair of stockings could be so costly! Maybe she should offer to put them back... but the reassuring response convinces the beggar to let the matter go. It would be rude of her to insist on this matter, to argue over a tiny little thing when Jen had gone out of her way to be so charitable already. Instead, Fidelia makes a mental note to hold onto the receipt if she can; maybe she can find a way to repay the cost in the future.

"No, I think this is all I need." she answers, giving Lazarus a warm and grateful little smile. She had food and shelter now, she had clothing, and she still had her knife. What else could she need?
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

26. - Top - End - #146

Arcane Threads => Food Court

"Alright, well then let's get something to eat and talk about your whole life debt thing." Saint Lazarus nods, figuring she can probably have Fidelia set up with a part-time job, a halfway decent apartment in Inside, and an excuse to get out of the life debt in a matter of months, probably. Maybe pretend to not notice some thug with a knife behind her, so Fidelia can stab the guy in the back or something. She'll need some kind of armor of her own, though. Something lightweight and innocuous, like those seemingly normal clothes with the armor plating that hardens when struck. Not everyone can ignore a dozen bullets to the chest as easily as Saint Lazarus can.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

27. - Top - End - #147

Arcane Threads => Food Court

"Alright, well then let's get something to eat and talk about your whole life debt thing." Saint Lazarus nods, figuring she can probably have Fidelia set up with a part-time job, a halfway decent apartment in Inside, and an excuse to get out of the life debt in a matter of months, probably. Maybe pretend to not notice some thug with a knife behind her, so Fidelia can stab the guy in the back or something. She'll need some kind of armor of her own, though. Something lightweight and innocuous, like those seemingly normal clothes with the armor plating that hardens when struck. Not everyone can ignore a dozen bullets to the chest as easily as Saint Lazarus can.
    The smaller woman nods, a smile still on her face. It sounded like a good plan to her, and she wasn't going to object. It had been... a while since she last ate, and the offer of not just food, but (relatively) fresh, warm food straight from a storefront as opposed to something scraped together and reheated over a makeshift fire was something she just couldn't refuse.

As they enter the food court, Fidelia's eyes widen at the sight. Wow. That's... a lot of options. I mean, she wasn't clueless, she knew there were plenty of different styles of cuisine, but it was one thing to know and another thing entirely to see it with her own eyes as she looked around the spacious dining area. Glorious Arstotzkan Meat Hub, Krikebulin's Kobold Cuisine, Eden's Eatings, Chik-Fil-a... frankly, Fidelia wasn't sure how people were expected to choose in the first place!

So, being so utterly at a loss, Fidelia does the next best thing; "A-anywhere you'd recommend?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

28. - Top - End - #148

"I suppose it depends what you consider a weapon. Look at how quiet it is in here - in the right hands, a sustained period of subtle manipulation like this could bring a country to its knees." There's a certain hint of satisfaction to that statement as if Affy has proven that statement true before. "I'll tell you what does matter to me at the moment - any methods of protection, particularly against arcane magic, outside that which I'm already familiar with. How, mmm, does your kind protect themselves from harm?"

29. - Top - End - #149

"Mostly by transporting themselves out of harms reach, or transporting the harm out of theirs. My people are nomadic by nature, we don't really need to gather resources for our survival so why have permanent homes? But if you do have such places in need of protection, there are alternatives. Powerful shields are something they have access to and I know for a fact that most weapons on this plane can't break through them. There is a problem though, while I easily could hand over a shield projector they don't last very long without direct access to the nether, the place where my people come from. Its energy is used to fuel a lot of our technology, which is also why its closed to outsiders. That way even if 'lesser beings' would get their hands on our technology they wouldn't be able to use it for very long. Think it as a heavily encrypted reality server that can transfer energy to anything that can access it." Shazhan explains. "Even I must use batteries to fuel the gadgets I've managed to salvage. It's the reason very few ever leave the collective. They have full control of who can access what and as soon you break the laws, they cut you off."

30. - Top - End - #150

A Slightly Noisier Part of the Food Court

Saint Lazarus shrugs. She isn't really sure what to recommend. It's been almost an entire year since she's been capable of eating at any of these places...well, except maybe Carcosa Burger, if the rumors are true. She'd rather eat at a place that openly serves human flesh, rather than one that's merely rumored to do that, though. She'd have to go alone, too. Can't go bringing Fidelia to a place like that, risk her getting ground up into a combo platter. It'd be a real waste, since she's not even close to being in the right shape for that. Not enough lean meat, nowhere near enough fat, and far too scrawny to even justify all the time and prep involved in preparing her for human consumption. Why, it's-oh god she's thinking about eating Fidelia again. Stop it, zombie brain! She's our friend, not food!

"I dunno. Kobold Cuisine's kinda weird, and Chik-Fil-a is just that silly gimmick place. I'm surprised Carcosa wasn't shut down or something. Oh, I never really got to try Eden's or Glorious Arstotzkan Meat before it was too late! Always wanted to, never found time." Oh, there's an idea! Make Fidelia eat the food and tell her what it's like! It'll almost be like being able to eat food herself again, sorta.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson