New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Looking for new character idea (D&D and Pathfinder allowed)

I'm looking for new character ideas, not specifics, just rough ideas I can more or less build/figure out myself. I've built a lot of characters, and just looking for ideas I might not have thought of before. To name all of the ideas I've had would take way too long, and I doubt I could even remember them all.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for new character idea (D&D and Pathfinder allowed)

Im playing a voodoo character right now, with a refluffed dread necro and some prestige in dread witch, mindbender, alchemist savant and something else i don't recall.
    I always wanted to try a Chef, eating monsters to get their qualities, could be a wild shape ranger into master of many forms, to fluff with the idea the becomes what it eats.
    an evil artificer that builds bad, evil, malign, cursed items is cool also, with some desire to poison people and a really coward attitude. If you get some sneak attack i believe there are some interesting prestiges.
    i can't think of much more ideas right now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

A homeless young street tough who leads a gang.

The gang is all upstanding young citizens who help people in need whenever possible.

The leader is a Paladin variant who never received formal training or sponsorship. He grew up on the streets, and now works to uplift his fellow man and protect the neighborhood.

Instead of a mount, he has Leadership.
    You may think of me as:
    Struggling amateur author #3284728

Book one is on the Kindle now. It's a mix of hard science fiction and fantasy. How's that work? Surprisingly well.

I share the ebook version of it freely. Link to download it is at the top of that page.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Werewolf doctor.
    He isn't actually a werewolf, he's just really obsessed with lycanthropy. As an alchemist he can easily cure mundane diseases, so his dream is to create a cure for afflicted lycanthropes.
    As a Vivisectionist/Beastmorph Alchemist, he can use his mutagen to turn into a raging man-wolf monster for combat. This contributes to the popular perception that he is a werewolf, which is an easily excuse for why he would want a cure. Eventually he can grow wings or tendrils or feelers in addition to the thick fur, claws and teeth, making him look like a horrible Resident Evil-style boss.

And if he dies, my replacement character would be his intern, a Werewolf Psychologist. She doesn't practice internal medicine, instead she councils lycanthropes who are struggling to live a normal, murder-free life.
    She'd probably just be a Synthesist Summoner or something.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Well the first post sounds like a very entertaining character, the second post I'm not sure how well it would really work with my group, which is something I forget to mention, we never seem to stick in the same place for more than a couple days. That would be an amazing NPC group for a campaign though. And the 3rd post, oddly enough I actually already have a character exactly like that, but instead of looking to cure lycanthropes, he's looking to make it better. Less an afflictable curse, and more a gift given to the world. His main drive is to rid lycanthropy of being uncontrollable. While messing with all of this he accidentally made himself into a lycanthrope.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

A travelling vacuum cleaner salesman on an epic quest to find a source of vacuum cleaners to sell?

A wizard with terrible dyslexia who needs his familiar to read his spell book to him (so, actually a Witch in PF.) (Also, I ripped this off whole cloth from a webcomic, bonus points to anyone who knows which one.)

A martial character who has sworn never to take a life. (Guru would be the easiest class for this.)

A bard travelling under a false name, trying to bootstrap himself into Godhood by spreading legends of, and encouraging worship of, a fictional character with his True name.

A kobold looking to seduce a dragon.

A dwarven blacksmith who forged the perfect razor and was forced to flee in shame.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

One of the favourite 3.5 concepts I've played. A Goliath wizard wrestler. Pour everything into huge grapple checks with feats and buff spells.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

A recent discussion with a friend regarding an old tactic we used in a multi-player video game led me to thinking about how to recreate the tactic in a d20 system game. The basic principle is simple: one character who is based on stealth and another who utilizes indirect fire. The stealthy character never fires a shot to give away his position, but just locates the enemy and then calls in the artillery on their position. The indirect fire character sits back behind protection and lobs artillery shells at enemies he would be unable to target directly, and who are unable to return fire effectively because they don't know where the steal character is and they can't target the artillery character themselves.

The two major obstacles that need to be overcome to make this work in 3.5 or PF: 1) how can the stealth character communicate with the indirect fire character in a manner that allows for targeting of spells; 2) what kind of spells could be targeted on a square that is out of line of sight from the caster?

I'd love to run something like this as a Sorcerer with a Scout cohort or something similar. I think Sorcerer would be ideal because a) CHA for Leadership; b) high number of spells per day; and c) since there probably won't be a huge number of spells that work with this sort of arrangement the lower spells known won't be such an issue vs Wizard.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

There's always the ol' standby where you have a class that pretends to be another class (i.e Barbarian pretends to be a wizard, wizard pretends to be a barbarian, or rogue trys to be a paladin, paladin -> rogue).
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

One of the more interesting characters I played was a chronomamcer and a professor of "time magic" at a university.

The build was actually a harbinger (path of war) and made zero use of spellcasting, but liberal use of Riven Hourglass and cursed razor (refluffed for more time shenanigans) to act as a time mage. It was a lot of fun to play.

I also played a mystic who was convinced he was a wizard, although he had zero magical ability.

Those kinds of characters are always fun to build and offer a different sort of optimization focus that I enjoy.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Climowitz View Post
    I always wanted to try a Chef, eating monsters to get their qualities, could be a wild shape ranger into master of many forms, to fluff with the idea the becomes what it eats.
    There actually is such a class in FFd20.