New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Heighten spell prereqs

I had an idea for something silly and I was looking at feats and noticed something, heighten spell has no prereqs, including having the ability to cast spells. Looking at the srd, even though it's a metamagic, a metamagic feat has no spellcasting prereqs even. This doesn't appear to be spelled out anywhere? I get the rai, but does it not have this raw?

Is this correct? Can random fighter actually take heighten spell as his level 1 normal feat?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Heighten spell prereqs

Yes, but they can't really do anything with it. Though its not like a fighter is feat-starved...
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Yes, but they can't really do anything with it. Though its not like a fighter is feat-starved...
    This does have uses in certain corner cases, such as a partial spellcasting class that doesn't gain any spellcasting until later (such as the paladin) or a multiclassed character that gains spellcasting later (such as a crusader/cleric/ruby knight vindicator).

4. - Top - End - #4

Ok thanks thats one prereq i can nab early and makes everything else smooth. Yeah silly raw.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Efrate View Post
    Ok thanks thats one prereq i can nab early and makes everything else smooth. Yeah silly raw.
    It is not that much silly.
    What is sillier is those feats with 50 requirements that have seemingly no link with the feat itself.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    It is not that much silly.
    What is sillier is those feats with 50 requirements that have seemingly no link with the feat itself.
    Seconded, Thirded, Fortheded ......

And don't forget the PRCs with the same problem ;D
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lylsyly View Post
    And don't forget the PRCs with the same problem ;D
    Even if they do have some tentative link with the concept of the PrC, it can still get pretty silly. It would be like:

Imperial Messenger Prestige Class (Prerequisites: Athletic feat, Endurance feat, Improved Initiative feat, Run feat, Skill Focus (Profession: Porter) feat, Toughness feat)...
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BowStreetRunner View Post
    Even if they do have some tentative link with the concept of the PrC, it can still get pretty silly. It would be like:

Imperial Messenger Prestige Class (Prerequisites: Athletic feat, Endurance feat, Improved Initiative feat, Run feat, Skill Focus (Profession: Porter) feat, Toughness feat)...
    Which grants you +20' movement speed and allows you to dimension door 1/day. In 10 levels. With poor BAB and saves.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2018-06-18 at 02:51 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

That from oriental adventures? Rokugan is much more fluff than crunch and messengers are important, but they, like most everything else, got wrecked in conversion from l5r to 3.0.