New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim: Journal of Valerian Valtieri

Mmm. Red text for Dark Brotherhood, I take it?
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Myself I was guessing an infection of vampirism, with the sleeping needed to set it fully on.

I like these much better now they are out of the main ES thread, I used to skip them there, but I find myself reading them here.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Journal of Valerian Valtieri

College of Winterhold - Evening Star 20, 4E201
    I left my guild armour behind and set out north, for Winterhold. It was hours before dawn when I arrived. I had a quick meal and rented a bed at the inn to wait for sunrise.

As the day began, I approached the College of Winterhold. A mage was standing guard outside to keep away the gawkers and worse, but she soon understood I was there to learn, and let me past. I then spoke to the Master Wizard, and was accepted as an Apprentice there and then.

I was directed to the Hall of the Elements, where Tolfdir was running an introductory lecture. Nothing revelatory, even with my rudimentary understanding of magic, but lectures were never going to be the value of coming here. No, it's access to the resources and accumulated knowledge of the college that will give me what I'm after. Naturally, it's not going to be handed over to me simply for showing up. I'll have to work towards it, and I'm sure there's plenty of errands the senior wizards would send apprentices on.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Myself I was guessing an infection of vampirism, with the sleeping needed to set it fully on.

I like these much better now they are out of the main ES thread, I used to skip them there, but I find myself reading them here.
    Yep, red text for Vampire Val. At this point I'm not sure this character will even go to the Dark Brotherhood, even though I figured she would when I first conceived of her. Maybe if I can figure a good way to work in her family history. Of course the further along I go, the less sense becoming an assassin makes. Same reason why whenever I make a character that's going to be a thief joining that guild is one of the first things they do.

5. - Top - End - #35

College of Winterhold - Evening Star 27, 4E201
    It's been a week since I joined the College. I've been making myself known to the faculty, helping with whatever they would entrust an apprentice with. The librarian Urag gro-Shub in particular must have a list of books he wants acquired as long as Arcanaeum's catalogue, and I've been more than happy to head out and find the tomes he's tracked to more dangerous locations. To say the climate up here doesn't agree with me would be an understatement.

My efforts are already bearing fruit. I've added some powerful new illusion spells to my repertoire. Of course, not everything is so pleasing. If I hear that obnoxious Ancano's voice again it will be too soon. I may just make a point of taking my meals with him when I can.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    My efforts are already bearing fruit. I've added some powerful new illusion spells to my repertoire. Of course, not everything is so pleasing. If I hear that obnoxious Ancano's voice again it will be too soon. I may just make a point of taking my meals with him when I can.
    [/I]

What's Valerian's skill setup right about now? I remember you had it a page ago, but was wondering how it's changed.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

7. - Top - End - #37

Valerian Valtieri
    Level 47 Imperial (Imperious)/Vampire (Sacrosanct)
    Birthsign: The Shadow (Andromeda)
    Skills (Ordinator):
    • Light Armour 100
      • Light Armour Mastery 1/2
      • Light Armour Fit
      • Keen Senses
      • Unhindered

• Sneak 100
      • Sneak Mastery 1/2
      • Silent Roll
      • Fog of War
      • Infiltrator
      • Right Behind You
      • Clean Escape
      • Behind Enemy Lines

• Lockpicking 97
      • Lockpicking Mastery 1/2
      • Game of Fate
      • Robber's Eye
      • Gone in Fifteen Seconds
      • Dungeoneer
      • Wax Key
      • Locksmith
      • -Seen This Before- (100)

• Pickpocket 47 (67)
      • Pickpocket Mastery 1/2
      • Cutpurse
      • -Lawless World- (50)

• Speech 67
      • Speech Mastery 1/2
      • Performer

• Alchemy 16 (6)

• Illusion 74 (94)
      • Illusion Mastery 2/2
      • Illusion Dual Casting
      • Quiet Before the Storm 1/2
      • Dream Thief
      • Kindred Mage

• Conjuration 16

• Destruction 22 (12)

• Restoration 26

• Alteration 41

• Enchanting 56

• Smithing 67 (87)
      • Smithing Mastery 2/2
      • Arcane Blacksmith

• Heavy Armour 24 (14)

• Block 52

• Two-Handed 16

• One-Handed 86

• Archery 64

Character Appearance
    Last edited by Ogremindes; 2018-07-19 at 06:12 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

College of Winterhold - Evening Star 29, 4E201
    This morning, Tolfdir called the apprentices over and told us to convene at Saarthal, an ancient Nord city that is being excavated and studied by members of the College. The first Nord city in Skyrim, in fact. While it wasn't far, the cold was insufferable. Even with a thick fur cloak and charms to keep the cold at bay I could feel my body seizing up by the time I arrived. Myself and the other apprentices waited around a fire for Tolfdir to arrive and finally open up the entrance.

Once we were inside, Tolfdir assigned us to various tasks. I was sent to assist Arniel Gane in cataloging the items found in the ruin. He sent me to scrounge around in the dust for any small objects that might still be around. Picking up one such object, and amulet, triggered a trap of sorts, closing me in the room I found it.

Wearing that amulet revealed some sort of magical distortion. At Tolfdir's suggestion I tried casting a spell, Calm, into it. At which point the wall collapsed revealing a new passage and the trap mechanisms reset. Leaving Gane to his cataloguing Tolfdir and I explored further.

As we entered these newly revealed areas, I was visited by a vision of sorts. A message from a member of the Psijic Order. A warning of danger ahead, of "events set in motion". Cryptic nonsense. I can't even say if the message was meant to dissuade or encourage further exploration. While Tolfdir stayed behind to examine an apparently very interesting arrangement of coffins, I chose the latter and explored further.

The place didn't seem much different from any other Draugr-infested ruin. Same traps and puzzles. Tolfdir caught up with me after a while, and we entered the main chamber together.

Now, that was different. A massive, floating orb in the heart of the room. A Draugr here rose up to attack us, seemingly immune to our spells and attacks. Tolfdir realised it was drawing power from the orb, and while I kept it busy he worked on dispelling that connection. I was battered by the Draugr's blows, but as soon as its protection fell two quick strikes from Malice laid it to rest.

And that left us with this giant orb. Tolfdir told me to go inform the Archmage, as to not leave it unattended. Before I left I took a look around. I found a note and a broken amulet on the Draugr's body that seemed like it could warrant investigation, and then made my way out and trudged back to the College.

I found the Archmage in his quarters, and let him know that Tolfdir wanted him to see what we found. I also asked him about the Psijics, it would appear that everyone knows the name but not much more. I'll need to speak with Mirabelle Ervine about arrangements now that Tolfdir and the Archmage are occupied, but that's for tomorrow. I wonder who's still around, it's about time for a drink.

9. - Top - End - #39

The Bannered Mare - Evening Star 30, 4E201
    Nothing can be simple. Ervine sent me to research the orb in the Arcanaeum, but I only learned that the relevant books had been stolen some time ago, by mage who thought he might offer them to a group of renegade mages and join them. While the college knew where those mages were the whole time, it would seem the Archmage prefers to let problems "solve themselves" rather than deal with them. I suppose that
    is what happened today, to an extent.

That obnoxious "advisor" questioned me about the orb as I set out for Fellglow Keep. Not that I knew anything more than the rumors that were already swirling around the college. No one in the college seems to trust the elf, which begs the question why the Archmage keeps him around. Another problem that will solve itself with time, perhaps.

Getting into Fellglow was simplicity. Between my skills and my magic what could stop me? Their leader, some mad-mage calling herself the "Caller", was the only one who even knew I was there, and she just let me take the books and go. Given the name I doubt she has any interest in books that aren't conjuration texts. Something that our book thief probably now understands very well: I spotted him stuck in a cell as I made my way in.

I think I'll spend the rest of the day here in Whiterun, maybe play a song all two at the inn before setting back out after dark. In the meantime I'll read through these books. I remember Tolfdir mentioning something about "the night of tears", so that's where I'll start.

10. - Top - End - #40

The Winking Skeever - Evening Star 31, 4E201
    I returned the books to the college. Tolfdir and the Archmage are still wrapped up in their investigations, so I began some research of my own: into "Jyrik" the draugr we defeated in Saarthal. I found the text "Lost Legends" in the Arcanaeum, that spoke of an archmage Gauldur and his three sons. This seemed to match what I found in Saarthal, so I've set out for another site mentioned in the book: Folgunthur, near Solitude.

Silverblood Inn - Morning Star 3, 4E202
    All that trouble over some trinket. In Folgunthur I found the remains of a mage who had been there before, along with his entourage. He had apparently spent decades researching the Gauldur legend, and the "powerful" amulet at its heart. Sadly he destroyed most of his research, save for some notes covering the most pertinent points, just to styme people like me, I assume. He died to the draugr, along with his men, but his notes did prove useful in guiding me to the final two locations.

In both Folgunthur and Geirmund's Hall I encountered I found the undead remains of one of the Gauldurson brothers, and recovered the remaining two shards of the amulet. And in Reachwater Rock I found the tomb of Gauldur himself. The brothers fought me again in spirit-form, before the ghost of what I assume was Gauldur banished them and made the amulet whole once more.

I've examined the amulet several times. Its enchantments are not insignificant, but it hardly seems like an artifact that wars would be fought over. And I've learned nothing about the orb, Gauldur's time was well after Saarthal fall. Maybe they've learned something back at the college.

11. - Top - End - #41

Arkngthamz - Morning Star 4, 4E202
    The college faculty was still entirely absorbed in studying the orb, so I ended up browsing the Arcanaeum. On a whim, I picked up the book "The Aetherium Wars". I was intrigued enough to follow on what I read, just as importantly it would not involve being present in Winterhold over midwinter.

I rode out to Arkngthamz, the Dwemer city mentioned by name in the text. An earthquake shook the ground as I approached. In hindsight it was foolish of be to proceed underground immediately afterwards, but that is just what I did.

Within, I heard a voice trying to sound mysterious and fearsome, and failing. The voice belonged to the ghost of Katria, the "friend and colleague" Dreth mentioned in his book. She told me that Dreth had stolen her research for the book, and was endeavoring to find the Aetherium Forge herself to prove it. And then she died by triggering a trap. A trap that caused the earthquakes in the area.

She came along as I explored the ruin. Surprisingly capable in combat for being recently dead. Her knowledge of the ruins was also useful, as there were mechanisms here that I've never seen before. There was little but Falmer in our way as we made our way through. Along the way we found her body; she had me grab her journal as to use her notes to help get through the final lock. Between the journal and notes left by another failed adventurer I could ascertain what the correct sequence was and left any remaining traps dormant.

Past the lock we found what Katria thinks is part of a key. The key to the Aetherium Forge. If her theory is correct then there's another three parts across Skyrim, and it looks like she knows where they should be. I'll keep going along with this endeavor, so we'll see if she's right.

Bthalft - Morning Star 7, 4E202
    The shards of the crest were all where Katria expected them to be. Surprisingly undefended, given what we went through at Arkngthamz. I took those pieces to Bthalft. An unassuming ruin, but once we cleared out the bandits camped here and assembled the crest in the appropriately shaped reciprocal, mechanisms came to life, revealing a dwarven lift.

It took us deep below the earth, to a dwemer structure untouched by time. Within we found it: the Aetherium Forge. After I turned some valves to redirect venting steam, the facility came to life. We were swarmed by waves of automatons: spiders and spheres. Wielding my magic I created illusion-constructs like those used by Sigdis Gauldurson, but instead of cloning myself, I created doubles of each of the attacking machines. And while my illusions were fragile, they struck with the strength of the real thing and were replaced as soon as they fell. By the time my magicka was exhausted only a few remained to be finished off.

After that, an enhanced Centurion awoke, the final defense of the forge. While it used a powerful flaming blast at range, up close it had the same weakness in mobility as other centurions, and couldn't fight me effectively once I was around its legs slamming Malice into its joints.

All that was left to do was prove it was indeed the Aetherium Forge. With materials on hand and the only aetherium we had: the key that opened this place, I created a circlet using the forge. With that Katria was satisfied and faded away form the world, the purpose keeping her from moving on done.

I'm sure this circlet has some power to it, I can sense as much, but what exactly it does I don't know. Some research for later, because surely the mages at the college have made something of the orb by now.

12. - Top - End - #42

College of Winterhold - Morning Star 8, 4E202
    When I returned to the college, I was immediately confronted by Ancano. In amongst his blithering he told me that a Psijic Monk had arrived at the college and asked for me by name. When I went to meet him he stopped time briefly to allow us to speak in private. I'm not sure why, he didn't have much to say apart from to speak with the "Augur of Dunlain" and general warnings of some non-specific doom. He then left, leaving Ancano and Aren rather confused.

Tolfdir told me where to find the Augur, who was a past student, who, probably accidently, turned himself into an incorporeal seer bound to the energies of the college. He was in the "Midden", the underworks of the college. There were some interesting things down there, a magic forge and a conjuration artifact both warrant further investigation. I soon found where the Augur had sealed himself away.

There's something about seeing the future that makes you couch everything you say in unnecessary warnings. In amongst the doom and gloom the Augur told me that "To see through the Eye of Magnus without being blinded requires His staff", and to bring that information to the Archmage. All he could tell me was that Mirabelle had mentioned the staff recently. She, on the other hand, had met with some mages of the Synod that seemed to think the college kept the Staff of Magnus "in a closet somewhere". They were based in the Dwemer ruin of Mzulft, so that's where I'll begin my search.

College of Winterhold - Morning Star 10, 4E202
    That snake Ancano has played his hand. He's usurped the Eye, drawing power from it, forcing us out of the Hall of the Elements. He killed the Archmage in the process. None of us know what he's up to, but all the mages of the college can do now is try to contain him. Mirabelle gave me a... some sort of bracelet that Aren told her was connected to Labyrinthian. I'll leave as soon as there is a break in the weather. Though if this snowstorm doesn't lift soon I'll just have to brave it.

In Mzulft I found the Synod expedition. All but one of them were killed by the Falmer. The one remaining had rigged the Oculory to visualize magical energy across Tamriel, just needing a special crystal carried by one of the deceased. The result wasn't to his expectations, as the Eye drowned out almost everything on the map. Everything except Labyrinthian. If the Staff of Magnus is connected to the eye, then that would have to be it.

Best not to think about what happens if it's not there.

College of Winterhold - Morning Star 12, 4E202
    I arrived in Labyrinthian at the break of dawn. The place is huge, exposed, and freezing, so the first thing I did after clearing out some trolls was set up a base camp.

The first area I explored turned out to be Shalidor's Maze. A trial meant for prospective archmages. It made sense to me that the Staff might be there, but my prize for solving its riddle was a magical crown. Useful, but not what I was there for. The greatest challenge of the maze wasn't the riddle, or the conjured daedra at the end, but the simple fact it was open to the sun and cold as death.

The second part of Labyrinthian I went to was sealed, needing Aren's torc to open. This was the remains of an older city: Bromjunaar. As I explored, and fought off the undead, I would occasionally be spoken to by something powerful deep within. At first it mistook me for Aren, who had sealed the place years ago. When it realized I wasn't Savos, it just resorted to gloating about how it was going to destroy me.

That something powerful was a lich, contained by the ghosts of two mages. The lich had the staff, so I had no choice but to banish the spectres and release it. The boastful sorcerer ill considered my crafty use of magic, and from the shadows I hexxed it with curses that drained away its physical and magical strength, leaving it frail and powerless when I drew Malice to finish it off. I claimed the Staff and its magical mask from the remains and made to leave.

I was famished by this time, after two lengthy explorations, so it was very thoughtful of Ancano to have a meal waiting for me as I left. I quickly packed up my camp and rode out to the college at a gallop, trailing witchfire as I went.

Back at Winterhold I found that Ancano's barrier now engulfed the entire college, forcing everyone out. Wielding the Staff I dispelled the shield with a gesture. Tolfdir and the college guards stormed into the Hall alongside me. Ancano was immune to our spells and attacks as long as he drew power from the Eye. But as I channeled energy from the Eye with the Staff he was cut off, and only had a moment to realize this before he was blasted across the room.

Even with Ancano dead, whatever he had done to the Eye wasn't stopping, it was still surging with uncontrolled energy. It was then that the Psijics made themselves known once more, taking the unstable artifact ...somewhere else.

In the aftermath, there's been talk of naming me Archmage. Which is preposterous: It's been three weeks since I was accepted as an apprentice, I'm hardly the most accomplished mage, and I'm not about to settle down into an administrative role. Still, if they want to call me Archmage while Tolfdir does the actual work... I can work with that.

13. - Top - End - #43

Solitude - Morning Star 23, 4E202
    I happened to be in the Blue Palace while a farmer from Dragon Bridge was petitioning the Jarl, concerned about dark magic at a nearby cave. He was brushed off by the Jarl's advisors, but the steward did promise to send someone to investigate. Since dark magic is ostensibly my problem now, I offered to investigate. Falk conceded that he wasn't really intending to send anyone, but offered to compensate me if I cleared the cave out.

It turned out that dark forces were indeed at play, with a group of necromancers attempting to suppon and bind the spirit of Potema, the Wolf Queen herself. The cave was an old fastness of hers. A well placed Frenzy spell put an end to the ritual, and the magical energies soon dissipated. With that, the draugr minions of the necromancers were no longer under their control, and the whole place erupted into a skirmish. I finished off the survivors and returned to the steward, receiving his thanks and a sizable sum of gold for my trouble.

14. - Top - End - #44

Spoiler: Spoilers for Falskaar
    Show

Amber Creek - Morning Star 28, 4E202
    Well, this has been an unexpected journey. In Riften an old man told me about odd goings-on at the nearby mine, and after sneaking past the resident bandits I found the bodies of the mercenaries he was talking about, along with the source of the odd noises: a badly damaged centurion. These were in a section of dwemer ruins beneath the mine, along with an odd gate. The one I presumed was the leader had a lexicon amongst his possessions, and that fit into a stand nearby, causing the gate to come to life with a shimmering portal.

Caution gave way to curiosity, and I passed through. Curiously, this led to a distant land colonized by Nords. And notably, the gate on this side isn't active, missing the lexicon on it's matching pedestal. I was roped into helping one of the local guards clear out some bandits to rescue an abducted boy. After that he had me report to the local Jarl as to what happened.

I haven't learned much, only that there was some sort of a prophecy about the Traveller passing through the gate, and that there has been war between the noble families here. The Jarl asked me to go speak with some monks that used to be heavily involved in the politics of this land.

Before I can do any of that, I'll need supplies and to get to know the lay of the land. It was already becoming night, so I'd have to wait on the day to come to do business, so I decided to investigate the hot springs that one of the guards mentioned, that there was something wrong with it and there were necromancers,

Well, there aren't any necromancers there any more. Curiously, just under the springs were some Dwemer machines, almost like the springs were artificial. Now that I think of it, the fact that the portal I came through was of dwarf make didn't warrant a mention either. Is dwarven machinery common here?

15. - Top - End - #45

Spoiler: Spoilers for Falskaar
    Show

Amber Creek - Suns Dawn 2, 4E202
    I've made arrangements for accommodation. I've needed to take on some jobs around town to pay for it, as I wasn't carrying much coin when I came through the portal.

On one of these jobs, I discovered a curious crystal. It was being used by necromancers... it looks like they were controlling the local wildlife with it. This warrants further investigation. I can't get back to the college, but maybe those monks would have some idea of what it is. Agnar told me they were once the court wizards here.

Falskaar Docks - Suns Dawn 4, 4E202
    I've spoke with the monks of Bailun Priory. Of Jarl Agnar's request, they simply don't want to get involved in any brewing war. As for the crystal... I spoke with one Brother Arnand. He told me about a former prior that was expelled when his magical research almost killed some of the other monks, and how that prior dabbled in dark magic. He had a hidden lair on the priory grounds, and in searching it I found a journal, and another crystal like the one I already found. I left it with Arnand, who hopes to learn what it is. In the meantime, I returned to Agnar, who requested I liberate the docks from some bandits. Since I'm otherwise stuck here, I went along with it, freeing the captives they had taken.

I now have a way home, and I don't think I'll be playing soldier for Agnar any further. Once I've finished investigating those crystals I think I'll head back.

Falskaar Docks - Suns Dawn 8, 4E202
    Well that was fruitless. Arnand identified the crystals as shards of the "Dream Crystal", a daedric artifact of Vaermina. The former prior "Vernan" had distributed the shards to his necromancer acolytes to study and try to unseal. They weren't hard to track down with the effects of the shards causing various odd effects that the people of the island noticed.

I brought the shards back to Arnand and we set out for Volkrund Keep, where Vernan had made his lair. Arnand figured that Vernan may have figured a way to make the crystal whole, which would stabilize it.

Things did not go to plan, as Vernan poisoned Arnand and claimed the crystals. Vernan's use of the assembled Dream Crystal caused strange distortions of the keep, but couldn't stop us from reaching him. Once we had felled his undead lackies he tried to use the Crystal again, but the fool necromancer just managed to drag himself and the Crystal into Oblivion.

After that waste of time, I think I'll make my way back to Skyrim. The ferryman owes me a favor, so he's promised to cut his fare for me.

Bah, I just realised I'll have to walk back to Riften.

16. - Top - End - #46

Frostmere Crypt, Suns Dawn 9, 4E202
    Almost as soon as I arrived in Dawnstar, I was accosted by some mechanical creature. It called itself Llavados. What it was saying was disjointed and hard to follow, but the gist of it was that its friends need, or will need, help, and I can get to where they are through Stonehole Mine.

It then disassembled itself in front of me, and told me to take its "glowing part" Apparently it's something called a "Fabricant", and that part, a "Pneuma", is its soul? I'm intrigued to see where this creature came from, but having only just arrived back in Skyrim, I need to resupply and get my equipment in order before proceeding.

I've recovered my horse (I'm surprised it was still there, being so close to Riften) and set my equipment in order. But as I was en-route to Stonehole Mine I noticed a commotion at a crypt near the road. I recalled seeing a bounty out for the bandit leader at Frostmere Crypt, so I figured it might be worth investigating.

I was right, the bandits had unearthed some cursed magic sword there. I claimed the blade for myself, then destroyed the spirit haunting it. The bandit leader was almost dead when I found him, but the Jarl doesn't need to know that. It's not far back to town, so I'll sort that out before continuing to the mine.

17. - Top - End - #47

What mod is that fabricant from? It seems like it'd be referencing Tribunal things, but I'm not familiar with it.

18. - Top - End - #48

What mod is that fabricant from? It seems like it'd be referencing Tribunal things, but I'm not familiar with it.
    The Wheels of Lull.

19. - Top - End - #49

Lull-Mor, Suns Dawn 26, 4E202
    It's been some time since I last put ink to paper, and in all honesty the less said of recent events the better. While I take some satisfaction in thwarting another Thalmor plot, this success was in spite of my erstwhile allies. I will admit, I was rather taken by the spectacular technology on display in Lull-mor, but in the end it's all in decay, like everywhere else. For all it's shining brass and glowing script, it was all very mundane and maintained by people who barely know what they are doing.

Maybe the Thalmor have a point.

Solitude, Suns Dawn 29, 4E202
    Falk Firebeard sent for me by courier. It turned out that the spectre of Potema was still around after the summoning a month ago, and had taken up residence in the catacombs under the city. Getting rid of her for good would require recovering her remains from the catacombs to be consecrated by a the a priest of Arkay.

She had already raised a small army of undead in the catacombs, as well as attracted a number of vampires to her cause. I fought through the lot of them; my hemomancies have become a potent if indiscriminate weapon against both the living and the dead. After that, all that was left was the Wolf Queen's ghost, still weak and vulnerable. Her ectoplasmic form was soon splattered across the chambers walls, allowing me to collect her bones and take them back to the Hall of the Dead to undergo Arkay's rites.

Falk rewarded me with a hefty pouch of gold and a magical shield. I don't normally use a shield but the enchantments on this one make it seem worth keeping on hand. He said something about the jarl wanting to keep the affair quiet, but I get the impression she doesn't even know what was going on. It occurs to me that I could have rather a lot of influence in Solitude should I want it, between my connections with Erikur and Falk.

20. - Top - End - #50

College of Winterhold, First Seed 2, 4E202
    As I was returning to the college, I was approached by some mad khajiit, who was ranting about the sky falling. I eventually managed to get out of him that he saw something fall from the sky over the sea of ghosts. Since I was already heading back to Winterhold I decided to look into it, and rode out across the sea to see what I could find. What I found was the "Marker". It claimed to represent the Magna-Ge, and directed me towards a shipwreck some ways to the west. I learned that the crew was trying to retrieve something from the sea floor, and after taking a swig of snowberry extract I dived down to find what looked like a glowing shard of glass, like welkynd stone. When I touched it, it vanished in a flash.

I returned to the Marker, but it didn't offer me any further enlightenment. So I returned to Winterhold, still confused by what happened.

First Seed 3, 4E202
    I was approached by a priest of Meridia, or Merid, as he seems to prefer. He seemed to be aware of what I encountered yesterday, and suggested I investegate Trolhetta Temple, a ruin once dedicated to the Magna-Ge. His connection to those spirits stems from Merida once being counted among their number, at least to hear him tell it.

First Seed 5, 4E202
    I've been contacted by two of the Magna-Ge, members of warring factions, both wanting me to tip the balance in their favor. Astetu, a spirit of light, and Ilmaasi, of void. The experience seems to have given me a new connection to the energies of Aetherius, in the form of magic of light and void.

As for the Magna-Ge, they've remained cryptic, even as they ask for my allegiance. Perhaps more will reveal itself with time.

Riften, First Seed 7, 4E202
    It had come to my attention that a group of vampire hunters had begun to establish itself near Riften. I realized that it would behove me to see what this group was up to, and if they could be made useful. The latter has been the case, as when I arrived I soon learned about some important "vampire artifact" in a cave near Dawnstar. Well, if there's some powerful vampiric artifact out there, I certainly want to make sure it ends up in the right hands, so I left the insignificant Dawnguard to their fort, and returned to Riften to wait out the day and prepare for the trip.

21. - Top - End - #51

Dimhollow Crypt, First Seed 8, 4E202
    Now this is intriguing. The 'artifact' turned out not to be a thing, but a person. A vampire sealed away for a thousand years. And on her person, nothing less than an elder scroll. Now that certainly warrants further investigation. The vampire, Serana, is tight lipped over how and why she has such a thing. She has, however, requested escort to her family home, a castle to the far northwest, near the border with High Rock.

I suppose I'll take her there, I could well learn more that way. Come dusk, we'll set out.

Castle Volkihar, First Seed 9, 4E202
    Well, that was a turn of events. I brought Serana to her family home, still very much inhabited by her father: Lord Harkon, and his clan of vampires. As a "reward" for bringing his daughter home safely Harkon offered his blood, to make me a vampire of his clan. This would greatly enhance my vampiric powers, but if I were to refuse I would simply be allowed to leave unmolested.

I gave it some thought, the situation did not feel right, but I accepted. I want to keep track of the Scroll, and whatever events might form around it, and I can hardly do that if I walk away.

The process of being turned was...unpleasant to say the least. But as promised my powers have become greater as a result. Harkon has "suggested" a task for me. He had Garan Marethi fill me in: I am to fill the Bloodstone Chalice at Redwater Den. It will also require adding the blood of a powerful vampire, but I'm getting the sense that will not be a problem.

Castle Volkihar, First Seed 10, 4E202
    As I expected, other vampires of Harkon's court tried to interfere with me as I filled the Chalice. That solved the blood problem. The filled chalice has some useful properties, enhancing vampiric magic.

Harkon has made a declaration. The clan is to track down a Moth Priest, who may have arrived in Skyrim following rumours of an Elder Scroll. Well, if there's a Moth Priest in Skyrim I know just the orc to ask.

22. - Top - End - #52

Castle Volkihar, First Seed 13, 4E202
    Serana asked to come with me as I headed out, and I'm not unhappy to have the company. We set out for Winterhold.

As I had hoped, a Moth Priest had visited the arcanaeum. Urag was able to tell me that the priest was headed for Dragon Bridge, and as we travelled that way we found his carriage, wrecked and surrounded by corpses, both legion and vampire. There was no sign of the scholar, but a trail of blood led away to a cave.

Within that cave is an entire fortress, concealed in a large cavern. And when we arrived it was occupied by the Dawnguard. Isran's been busy I see. I manipulated them into fighting each other as we explored the structure, eventually finding the Moth Priest Dexion imprisoned a magical device. It was easily opened, the "key" was on the body of a vampire that the Dawnguard had killed.

I wasn't certain what I would do with the priest, but that decision had already been made, as the vampires that attacked him had already broke his will. He was in a frenzy after his master's death, so I used my own powers to redirect that devotion to myself. I directed him to travel to the castle, and Serana and I did the same, stopping for the day at an old nord barrow along the way.

When we arrived, the court had already assembled for the reading of the Scroll. I ordered Dexion to read, and he spoke:

"Among the night's children, a dread lord will rise. In an age of strife, when dragons return to the realm of men, darkness will mingle with light and the night and day will be as one."

He also saw a vision of Auriel's Bow, but the secrets of the bow's power are held elsewhere, in two more Scrolls. Apparently one of these in in the possession of Harkon's estranged wife, wherever she may be, and the other... just somewhere in Skyrim. I suppose I'll consult with Urag, see whatever texts the college might h--

23. - Top - End - #53

Castle Volkihar, First Seed 16, 4E202
    Well, that was quite the excursion. Not long after Dexion's reading, Serana interrupted me to talk about where her mother, Valerica, with the Scroll, might be. Her only clue was "somewhere that Harkon would never look". While that could be any obscure place in Tamriel, the fact that was told to Serana as a meaningful statement suggested otherwise.

We came to the theory that she could be sequestered in some hidden place within the castle itself. Harkon did have the parts of the castle used by his wife sealed off after she fled with the Scroll, so by all appearance those places have been undisturbed for the last thousand years. Serana, however, knows all the little passages and back ways of the castle, at least she thought she did, and led me to the castle's courtyard through an almost inaccessible dock and the castle undercroft. The courtyard is dominated by the "moondial", a modified sundial marked with the phases of the moons. Of course the courtyard sees no direct light from either, so it was simply a sculpture. And, as it turned out, the hidden entrance to an entire wing of the castle.

Serana confessed to not having seen this part of the castle before. It was largely ruinous and guarded by undead and gargoyles. Eventually we found rooms used by Valerica and, hidden behind a fireplace, her laboratory. Serana recognised what her mother was doing: creating a portal to the Soul Cairn, the plane of Oblivion where the souls of the soul trapped ultimately end up. Notes left behind by Valerica confirmed that she had intended to hide there from Harkon, and to prevent being followed she keyed the portal to require her own blood to open. Thankfully, Serana's blood proved to be a sufficient substitute. With the way opened, we took some time to prepare for an extended expedition before venturing through the portal.

The Soul Cairn was about as pleasant as one might expect. The part of the plane the portal emerged within was converted into a prison for Valerica, with a number of external guardians maintaining a barrier around a central complex. These guardians proved entirely susceptible to my hemomancies, as did the other psudo-undead that harried us as we explored, and by the time we approached the central building the barrier had been dispelled. We found Valerica within that building. Serana's reunion with her mother was initially tense, Valerica seemed entirely at ease with her and her daughter remaining sealed away 'til the end of time if it meant keeping away from Harkon, but in the end Serana convinced her that we could find a better way. One thing if for certain, Harkon cannot be trusted.

Valerica took us to where she kept her Scroll, but our actions had alerted one final guardian: the dragon Durnehviir. Power enough to be Valerica's jailor, certainly, but no match for three Vampire Lords.

As we left, Durnehviir, already restored to corporeal form, stood before use, but this time he wanted to speak. He told his tale of being tricked into being Valerica's eternal jailor, and suggested I might be able to use his name to summon him in Tamriel.

Valerica intends to remain in the Soul Cairn. Serana and I left with the second Scroll in our possession. But now we have no leads on the third, and in the meantime we need to consider what we might do about Harkon.

As I was writing this, Serana asked me about my own family. I was taken aback: I hadn't thought about my own past since turning. Not that ever knew a family to speak of: all I know is my parents were killed in some riot in Bravil. Still, maybe I should find the time to head home for a while, back to Cyrodiil. But not now.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post

As I was writing this, Serana asked me about my own family. I was taken aback: I hadn't thought about my own past since turning. Not that ever knew a family to speak of: all I know is my parents were killed in some riot in Bravil. Still, maybe I should find the time to head home for a while, back to Cyrodiil. But not now.
    [/I]

Is that an indication of a coming Beyond Skyrim playthrough?

25. - Top - End - #55

College of Winterhold, First Seed 19, 4E202
    With nothing else to go by, I returned to the College to consult with Urag once more. He was unusually mouthy when asked about the Elder Scrolls, perhaps it's a matter of pride: as vast as the Arcanaeum is, he has almost nothing about the Scrolls.

Of the two texts he was able to provide, there was little to be learned. The first was about the effects the Scrolls have on their reader. It's concerning that an unprepared reader could be struck blind, but there's nothing I could do with that knowledge now.

The second book was almost, no,
    completely incomprehensible. Urag told me that the author, Septimus Signus, is a College mage and an expert in the Scrolls, but he had become obsessed with the dwemer and left to study an artifact long ago, in an outpost to the north.

Serana and I rode out across the water to find that outpost. Signus seemed about as sane as his writings would suggest, but once I got past all the odd metaphors and rhymes I got what I needed. He gave me an Attunement Sphere, a key that can get me below the lowest levels of the dwemer city Alftand, along with a Lexicon, this one empty. He told me that a Scroll can yet be found in Blackreach, below the dwemer ruins, in a place called Mzark. In return, he wants me to use the machinery there to inscribe the Scroll's contents onto the Lexicon.

Spoiler: Spoilers for Artifacts - The Ice Blade of the Monarch
    Show
    We set out across the water towards Alftand, but as we reached the coast we came across an abandoned camp. Not much indication of what went on, but a lost journal page indicated that someone was looking for a special sword, and had moved into Bleakcoast Cave, intending to try and trick someone into retrieving the blade for them.

I decided it would be worth following up on, and ventured to the cave to see. I found section sealed off by a door, and within was attacked by three Atronachs each in turn. No matter, and as the third fell, I saw a chest over by the far side of the room. Within, a letter from one Theldyn Terano, promising a reward for returning with the Ice Blade of the Monarch, along with its location, and the dagger Krahvalok, which has the power to summon an Ice Monarch, the defeat of which may or may not be needed to claim the sword. I tested the dagger on some Draugr I had left behind in Snow Veil, and sure enough, after I killed a few a giant Ice Atronach was summoned, which I promptly destroyed.

The sword itself was underwater, not far from Signus' outpost. If I still needed to breath or stay warm this may have been a problem, but I don't, and when I gripped the sword's hilt it slid freely from the stone it was embedded into. The sword is a pleasing thing, slender and balanced far better than most Nord longswords. When I returned to the cave, in a truly shocking turn of events Terano attacked me. Well I say attacked, it was mostly him running around screaming as he was devoured by a swarm of flesh-eating bats. Based on his journal, he thought that killing its current owner might allow him to claim the Ice Blade, as everything else he had tried failed, including killing an Ice Monarch. And as a bonus I could claim his staff, a powerful weapon in its own right called "Apotheosis".

We'll return to the College before heading out for Alftand once more. We could probably use some more supplies for the coming expedition, not to mention it's been a long night and I could use a meal.

26. - Top - End - #56

Is that an indication of a coming Beyond Skyrim playthrough?
    Depends on how close I get to Helgen along the way. In hindsight, maybe I should've started in Bruma, but then I wouldn't have had the use of some of the mods that defined my early game. (In hindsight I kinda regret making Val into a vampire wizard. Starting the main quest while still just a thief would've made for a more interesting story.)

27. - Top - End - #57

Castle Volkihar, First Seed 23, 4E202
    Blackreach. Who would've guessed that the old dwemer cities were linked up deep underground. I could write at length about all the things we found there, but it's approaching dusk and I intend to head out tonight.

In Alftand we came across the remains of an expedition led by one Sulla Trebatius. And like so many other expeditions of the sort they were taken by the Falmer. Perhaps if the fool wasn't so adamant about avoiding anyone associated with the College he would've had someone who knew what a Falmer was in his party. As it happened it was only him and his bodyguard managed to make it to the Great Lift. The two had come to blows, so I calmed them with magic before unlocking the way out, and further down. I figured if they didn't have the sense to just leave they could at least serve as... supplies.

Blackreach itself provided much fruitful exploration. The first thing we discovered was an outpost set up by an alchemist, to study a strain of Nirnroot endemic to the cavern. He was long deceased, but he did have an apprentice of sorts in Skyrim. We brought some samples to her on our way back.

In the heart of the cavern was another dwemer city, entirely taken over by the Falmer. These falmer were unusual in that they had taken slaves from the surface. We left the slaves largely alone, using calm magic as needed. We figured we weren't going to find any other food down there.

Beneath the city was a network of tunnels that once connected all the dwemer cities in Skyrim. We got an old engine working, with the aid of a dwemer ghost bound to it, and ended up clearing out a lot of the tunnels of beasts and worse, including a gigantic centurion. With this system opened up we have a way to travel far from the sun all over Skyrim. I also ended up in possession of the staff 'Steambroiler', which does exactly what the name would imply.

We eventually found which of the many structures on Blackreach is Mzark. It housed a device not dissimilar to the Oculory of Mzulft. When the Lexicon was inserted it came to life, and by working the controls I got the device to focus and inscribe the lexicon, after which it opened up to reveal the Scroll we came for. Mzark linked up to the surface, and from within could be re-opened, but we instead used the engine to travel further south, so we'd pass the home of Avrusa Sarethi as we returned.

Finally we returned to Castle Volkihar so Dexion could finally read the full prophecy. Except he can't. He blinded himself on the first reading. At least he could inform me of an "Ancestor Glade" in the south of Skyrim. A ritual can be performed there, involving a special kind of moth, to read the Scrolls. Seems very chancy, but Dexion believes that the very fact that I was able to gather together three Elder Scrolls would imply that I'm meant to read them. I'm not keen to risk my own vision, but from everything I understand of the Scrolls it's a valid point.

I guess I'll have some time to think about it as we make our way to Falkreath.

28. - Top - End - #58

Falkreath, First Seed 25, 4E202
    Travelling to the location Dexion told us, we found an unassuming cave. Serana was unimpressed until we passed through to discover the hidden glade beyond.

I took the risk and performed the ritual as Dexion described, drawing the moths of the Ancestor Glade around me and opening the three Scrolls before me, each in turn. I tried not to observe the patterns on the Scrolls as I did, instead letting the moths create an image, however that works. After I closed the third Scroll I saw a map before me, marked upon it was Darkfall Cave, to the North.

After the reading, a group of Dawnguard burst into the glade. Gods only know how they found this place. It didn't feel right to disturb the peace of that place, so I simply invoked the spell of Harmony and left the Dawnguard milling about, their will to fight extinguished.

Great Chantry of Auri-El, First Seed 27, 4E202
    Well, this turned out to be a lot more... expansive than I was expecting. Darkfall was just a simple cave, but at the end of it was a shrine, and a protector. Knight-Paladin Gelebor greeted us there. A Snow Elf. An actual, not-some-horrible-goblin-thing Snow Elf. He was expecting we were there for Auriel's Bow, and had a proposition: we could have the bow if we killed his brother, who had somehow been corrupted by the "Betrayed", the common Falmer, when they attacked the Great Chantry of Auri-El many years ago.

To do so would require following a ceremony performed by initiates back when the Chantry was a living temple. Filling an ewer at a number of wayshrines before approaching the inner sanctum.

The wayshrines, those are interesting. Connected by teleportation magic, though they need to be activated. Shades of past priest still attend them, lost in the memory of the past. They'll unlock them as we proceed with the ceremony.

Gelebor's shrine led into a cave system, infested by Falmer. That led to another shrine, which took us to a hidden, snowy valley. This place is vast, I can see this taking a number of nights just to explore. There's some unusual wildlife here, and we also encountered a gigantic snow troll. Oddly, it possessed an enormous sapphire that fit into a socket of a nearby structure. Placing it caused another portal to open, leading to a hidden treasury. If there's many more such secrets we could leave here very wealthy.

29. - Top - End - #59

Great Chantry of Auri-El, First Seed 30, 4E202
    How does one damned elf manage to to make so much trouble?

In reaching the Inner Sanctum, Serana and I explored the valley quite thoroughly and fought our way through a veritable city of Falmer. Well, they mostly fought each other: a mage of my calibre hardly needs to actually engage such lowly opponents.

The water collected in the Ewer activated the mechanism of the door. Within, we found the frozen remnants of of the slaughter that happened here. It soon became apparent that the frozen falmer were far from dead. That was soon rectified.

Before long we came to the Arch-Curate's chamber. He made some lecherous-sounding comment about bringing Serana to him, before unleashing waves of frozen falmer upon us. One would have thought he'd stop after seeing the first wave destroy themselves. But he kept going until he exhausted his supply of minions and thrown an atronach at us. Finally he unleashed a powerful burst of magic himself that brought the building down around us. I'm not sure what he thought that would achieve, given what we then learned making us fight in the sun was not to his advantage.

It turned out that Vyrthur was a vampire. After he turned and was rejected by his god, he plotted against Him, creating the prophecy we've been following all this time. How on earth one manages to create a prophecy that then gets scribed in the Elder Scrolls I doubt I'll ever understand. Regardless, for all his age and power, Vyrthur was not much of a force on his own. After a simple blood-hex I used my magic to tear him apart from the inside.

Upon his death a final Wayshrine opened, with Gelebor emerging to greet us. That wayshrine held Auriel's Bow, which we claimed. Gelebor offered to bless arrows for us with the power of the sun. Given what we're expecting to be up against I readily agreed.

All that's left now is to return to the castle. Serana's resigned to what has to happen. Vyrthur's prophecy will be resolved, one way or another.

30. - Top - End - #60

Castle Volkihar, First Seed 31, 4E202
    It's over. Harkon is dead, the prophecy resolved.

He was waiting for us in the castle chapel when we returned. We all knew how it was going to end, though he did demand we hand over the bow all the same.

In the end, Harkon and I were evenly matched. He may have possessed more raw power than I, but he wielded it with all the finesse of a cave troll, and the complex web of blood-hexes I weaved was just as devastating. He would try to draw power from the shrine, but all that achieved was to allow me a clean shot with the Bow. Eventually his defences could take no more, and a final sunblessed arrow ended the fight, and Harkon.

After Harkon fell, Garan entered the chapel. He offered his condolences to Serana, before announcing that I am now Master of the castle, having proven to be the most powerful vampire around. So much for Orthjolf and Vingalmo.

I shall let Valerica know about Harkon's demise, and see if Harkon left behind anything of interest. I probably should check in at the College again before long, too: I still have Septimus' lexicon.