New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: OOTS #1125 - The Discussion Thread

At first, I was a bit irritated that, at this critical stage, mid-climax, there was a comic that seemed to just be a lame joke.

But then I realized that the Giant doesn't really do strips that don't move the plot along somehow (well, maybe in the first 100 strips), so something significant has happened.

It's already been mentioned above that Belkar is now dagger-less (but not stake-less, a weapon that's of minimal efficacy except against a vampire) and that the sunglasses obscure whether or not he is still dominated.

Also, Mr Scruffy looks shocked by Belkar hurting Blackwing. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Mr Scruffy will be the key to Belkar breaking the domination (possibly by activating the clasp*), and that Belkar will pretend to continue to be dominated, allowing him to get close enough to take out Ponchella with his stake.

*I'm not sure if the cat can activate the clasp without it being obvious to the reader what happened, so maybe a forced Belkar vs Mr Scruffy fight will give the halfling the chance to make another will save. Once Belkar reveals that he is longer dominated, he activates the clasp and is surprised to find it no longer hurts to do so...
    Last edited by Tarthalion; 2018-06-19 at 02:41 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

As far as last words go, "funktastic" is one of the better ones.

3. - Top - End - #63

This seems like an appropriate time to remind people of the existence of the death pool thread. :)
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

I hate to say it, but this feels like filler and kind of was a miss with me. I might not mind it so much otherwise, but the long periods between updates are not really doing the pacing any favours here. I'd have appreciated this little gag maybe as part of a two page or so strip somewhere, but a whole page for it when I've been biting my nails for the past (*checks*) fifteen days? All I can think of is "GIVE US THE RESOLUTION ALREADY".
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Reflections, illusions and other such images can't be used to convey a gaze attack. Even if they could. Vampires are immune to dominate anyway.
    Also, vampires don't produce reflections in mirrors by RAW.

Nope, you're spot-on. Only someone the vampires suck dry gets vamped.
    Not technically correct - if slain by a vampire's energy drain from its slam attack or any natural weapons it possesses, a humanoid or monstrous humanoid will arise as a vampire spawn and so would be "vamped;" the blood drain is only necessary to create a full vampire.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Before any derailing, please.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ouch! Hurting Blackwing--possibly even killing him--is one of the worst things that could happen to the Order that Rich could pull on us. Cerberus Syndrome alert!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    When the best outcome of a plan is 'an evil Lich obtains supreme power and conquers most of if not all the world,' you need a better plan.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!”

"Eeeek!!!!"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    I hate to say it, but this feels like filler and kind of was a miss with me. I might not mind it so much otherwise, but the long periods between updates are not really doing the pacing any favours here. I'd have appreciated this little gag maybe as part of a two page or so strip somewhere, but a whole page for it when I've been biting my nails for the past (*checks*) fifteen days? All I can think of is "GIVE US THE RESOLUTION ALREADY".
    The pacing isn't written for the update schedule, the pacing is written for reading it at once. A viable solution to not feeling the way you do is to take a hiatus from reading the comic for a time, so that you can get many strips at once. The obvious downside is that you have an even longer waiting period before you get the new comics, so the tradeoff may not be worthwhile to you.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Belkar is being way too effective. I was hoping that since he attacked Blackwing, he'd be unable to interrupt Minrah, but no, dagger throw. All is sadness.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    It was necessary to set up prerequisites for that extra will save for one of the party members. Whether it was possible to fit in a smaller number of panels is debatable, but even if it was this update would have to be a "one and a half-parter" precisely to satisfy pacing requirements.
    Also, remember that the target format is printed medium and we are merely suffering from life not being perfect (as in one the Giant would be able to just conjure the comic into existence by directly transcribing his thoughts into paper or what have you). Besides, this is a mere nuisance compared to wait for, say, Tramennis in a new update.

11. - Top - End - #71

And when you will read the comic in the end, we'll like a lot more this kind of "slow" strip. It's just that we urge to see how the story end, but luckily we won't interfere the Giant's work :)

However, I think that the cat will be the key here, that expression will not be meaningless.

12. - Top - End - #72

PirateCaptain

I don't think the sunglasses will trick the vampires into thinking Belkar is still dominated if he snaps out of it. By what Ponchulla said (he barely needed a push) it looks like they have a telepathic link, or something, with the ones they've dominated.

But I agree that he can easily trick the readers.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

I really like the look of the Sexy Shaded God of War.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    I really like the look of the Sexy Shaded God of War.
    Or the Sexy Shoeless God of Shades...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post

Not technically correct - if slain by a vampire's energy drain from its slam attack or any natural weapons it possesses, a humanoid or monstrous humanoid will arise as a vampire spawn and so would be "vamped;" the blood drain is only necessary to create a full vampire.
    I'm aware of that. The original question that arose was whether Durkon would want to raise one of the Order as a vampire.

I'm not sure it works that way - I think vampirism is only an option if the death is caused by blood being drained by the vampire
    This is the quote I was responding to. It didn't bear clarification on spawn because that's not what it was asking.
    Even the wind will know agony.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCacaobean View Post
    I don't think the sunglasses will trick the vampires into thinking Belkar is still dominated if he snaps out of it. By what Ponchulla said (he barely needed a push) it looks like they have a telepathic link, or something, with the ones they've dominated.

He can also (most likely unintentionally) trick the members of the Order.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    There will probably be enough ham to feed a small dwarven army though.
    Yeah; that's Blackwing's style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkku View Post
    Mr. Scruffy will save the day now!
    As Princess Leah said: '...you're our only hope.' Only problem is, Mr Scruffy is a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manty5 View Post
    Well, as long as no one gives him a phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range we should only be moderately screwed.
    Even if he's not proficient, he'd still make use of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    But this is going to show Belkar’s character growth through his slowly awakening empathy. And because of the shades we won’t be able to tell right away until the most dramatically appropriate moment.
    One hopes you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Thankfully, Elan is a poor fighter when he's not using his dashing swordsman techniques. He may have hit Roy by chance the first time, but he can't seem to be able to anymore. As long as Roy can take down the last thrall, he'll be able to fight defensively and survive until the domination is broken, although he's at risk of more lucky hits.
    Two words: Haley Starshine. (Remember, she is still dominated ...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badend View Post
    What I see - Mr Scruffy gets in Belkar's way and attacks him. Trying to fight back and kill Mr. Scruffy is something that is actually against Belkar's nature, so he gets a new will save and passes it.
    New will save, likely. Passes it? Not as likely unless Probability takes Drama into that back alley ... and gets the full copper piece treatment.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2018-06-19 at 03:06 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    Belkar looks great.

Minrah needs to try casting defensively her weakest healing spell at this point though.
    That might not work as Belkar appears to by using a readied action. How he could stab Blackwing and also ready is a question, unless he happened to throw the dagger right when Minrah started casting by coincidence.

Minrah needs to move through Belkars threat range to provoke an AO, then move next to V and cure.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Two words: Haley Starshine. (Remember, she is still dominated ...)
    Yeah, but her bow's broken and she's a sub-par melee combatant. Hilgya's the real threat there, though. Chances are she'll cast a very nasty spell on the next strip that will put Roy into deeper trouble.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    For a wizard's familiar, Blackwing's knowledge of known undead or spells is terrible. Once dominated, the victim doesn't need to maintain eye contact, so dark glasses wouldn't do anything. Also, dominated victims take no actions besides their orders and what's necessary for day to day survival. Belkar has either been ordered to attack Blackwing or he's interpreting vague orders to include that. Likely the latter, making Belkar a nasty person.
    Nasty person? Well he is CE... Although by my reckoning he seems to be slipping to CN...

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

After looking at Belkar in his Exterminator shades again, it just occurred to me.
    This is a good chance to bring Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator into play, given the shades being brought in by Blackwing.

Animal sidekick hijinx, part deux.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2018-06-19 at 03:27 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Badend View Post
    What I see - Mr Scruffy gets in Belkar's way and attacks him. Trying to fight back and kill Mr. Scruffy is something that is actually against Belkar's nature, so he gets a new will save and passes it.
    Keep in mind Belkar's Will save is pretty awful, even with the Ranger levels. I bet his wisdom gives negative adjustments.
    If he rages, though, maybe, just maybe...

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    He can also (most likely unintentionally) trick the members of the Order.
    Actually, only the female vampire would directly know his domination is broken, so he could possibly trick others on that side if there's a lack of communication.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I think it would be funny if at later during the battle, Greg told Ponchula to tell Belkar to do something else, and she just answered "Oh, I've lost control of him a while ago. He's been stabbing people on his own will."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post

I am not sure this is true about vampires not casting reflections. I think mirrors show them, and them alone, what they truly are and they can't stand it.
    Other people see nothing. That is, of course, just one of the many myths...

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by lothos View Post
    I don't think familiars in 3.5 edition are summoned in the strict sense of the D&D meaning of that word. I think there's rules that say the master looses XP when they die (which was mentioned in the stop where black wing deliberately fails to activate the scroll properly). The rules say if the familiar is raised from the dead, the master does not get the XP back.

But I don't think black wing will die. Something funnier will happen.

Would putting the sunglasses on a vampire stop the gaze attack ? At least until the vampire took them off ?

How about mirrored sunglasses to reflect the gaze attack back ? Do regular mirrors reflect a gaze attack back at the attacker ? I guess if they do, the vampire would dominate itself... hmmmmmm.
    Vampires don't have reflections though...

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Right, but the telepathic link only applies to the one doing the dominating, not the other vamps.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tarthalion View Post
    It's already been mentioned above that Belkar is now dagger-less (but not stake-less, a weapon that's of minimal efficacy except against a vampire) and that the sunglasses obscure whether or not he is still dominated.
    It doesn't matter. Dominators have a telepathic link with their thralls. Normally this is used to issue commands, but it seems like the dominator can also sense the thrall's thoughts. Both Vaarsuvius and the vampire I refuse to call Ponchula have mentioned it.

Edit: ninja'd
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-06-19 at 03:42 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    Actually, only the female vampire would directly know his domination is broken, so he could possibly trick others on that side if there's a lack of communication.
    Quote Originally Posted by jokem View Post
    Right, but the telepathic link only applies to the one doing the dominating, not the other vamps.
    Well, why wouldn't she tell everyone? I guess there's a possibility he can snap out of it and attack some vampire who hasn't realized it yet before she has a chance to speak but nothing more elaborate than that.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Why is it such a big deal that Blackwing is dying or could die? Isn’t he a familiar, couldn’t V just re-summon Blackwing later? In 5e that’s how Find Familiar works, is that different than how it functions in 3.5e?
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!