Default [3.5] Great Flyby Attack feat

From Savage Species:

Text of the feat:

Spoiler: Great Flyby Attack
    Show
    ( Savage Species, p. 35)

[
    General]

You can make multiple flyby attacks in a round.
    Prerequisite

Flyby Attack (MM) , Fly speed,
    Benefit

Using this feat is a full-round action. When flying, you can move up to your fly speed in a straight line and attack a number of opponents equal to your Dexterity bonus. All targets must be within your reach along the line of your movement. Make one attack roll, add the appropriate modifiers, and compare the result to the AC of each opponent you are attacking. If any hits are successful, make one damage roll and add the appropriate modifiers. Each successful hit does the full damage to that creature; do not divide the result of the damage roll among the targets. Targets of your attack do not get attacks of opportunity against you, but other opponents that would be entitled to attacks of opportunity may take them.Normal

Without this feat, a creature can make a single flyby attack in a round.

Q1 Anyone know if this was superseded anywhere?

Q2 Extra attacks without the BAB to make Iteratives?

Thoughts? Opinions?
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Great Flyby Attack feat

1. There's no update to the Great Flyby Attack feat.

2. Yes, you get to attack a number of foes in the line equal to your Dex bonus irrespective of whether you have enough BAB for iteratives. By the same token, you don't get to make iterative attacks against any of those targets, even if you would get iteratives on a full attack.

I'm fond of combining Great Flyby Attack with the Surge of Fortune spell to then apply the roll of 20 to all the attacks.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ask this sort of stuff in the RAW thread.

1) No
    2) You're not making iteratives. This is basically whirlwind attack in a straight line.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Good news for me ;D

Thanks folks.

Surge of Fortune sounds great. Anyway to get it on this:

Feat Rogue 2/Bard 8/Sublime Chord 2/Abjurant Champion 5/Sublime Chord +3///Duskblade 13/Iot7V 7

I know, not raw legal, but in this game it's cool.

Sadly, I think I know the answer, but gotta ask ;)
    Last edited by lylsyly; 2018-06-20 at 02:24 PM.
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I don't have my books with me, but someone else might know; does SoF appear on any domain lists? If so arcane disciple would let you snag it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Arcane Disciple+Customize Domain(Luck Domain). Or just Extra Spell if you don’t consider the FAQ to be RAW.

7. - Top - End - #7

I couldn't find it on any of the domain lists and not sure whether I would spend to feats on it anyway, kinda feat starved.

I left a message with DM about Extra Spell, no word yet.

Thanks folks.​I got what I needed, the spell was/is just extra sauce for the goose.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. That’s actually kind of an interesting feat. The “straight line” clause means that you can’t really do swoop-and-split kiting tactics (insofar as those are ever meaningful), but it’s also a relatively low-prereq way of getting an effect that usually takes a nontrivial number of class levels. The trick then becomes finding ways of making a single attack against a handful of spread-out targets meaningful. War Mind’s Sweeping Strike beckoned me for a sec, but then I reread it and remembered the “no more than 10’ of movement” clause, which is unfortunate. Maybe Knockback + Dungeoncrasher to bull rush folks into the ground, if you happen to be exactly at the right altitude?

This gets a little confusing if you play with RC’s volley rule. It’s a full-round action, but you’re only making a single d20 roll. I think precision damage is still legit, assuming that each target meets the conditions.

If your GM rules that any attack can be a smite attack (rather than being its own standard action, as is typical for supernatural abilities with no listed action cost), would you be able to apply one smite to everyone you attack, assuming that they’re all legal targets? If the action cost is a problem, this might at least work with a killoren’s smite attack, since the 10 minutes spent to activate a given aspect might take care of the action cost and simply let the smite be its own thing.

It’s a bit of a pity that it’s based on DEX when one of the easiest ways of getting wings (slap on dragonborn!) penalizes DEX, but I guess we can’t have everything.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

9. - Top - End - #9

Spoiler: Zaq
    Show
    Hmm. That’s actually kind of an interesting feat. The “straight line” clause means that you can’t really do swoop-and-split kiting tactics (insofar as those are ever meaningful), but it’s also a relatively low-prereq way of getting an effect that usually takes a nontrivial number of class levels. The trick then becomes finding ways of making a single attack against a handful of spread-out targets meaningful. War Mind’s Sweeping Strike beckoned me for a sec, but then I reread it and remembered the “no more than 10’ of movement” clause, which is unfortunate. Maybe Knockback + Dungeoncrasher to bull rush folks into the ground, if you happen to be exactly at the right altitude?

This gets a little confusing if you play with RC’s volley rule. It’s a full-round action, but you’re only making a single d20 roll. I think precision damage is still legit, assuming that each target meets the conditions.

If your GM rules that any attack can be a smite attack (rather than being its own standard action, as is typical for supernatural abilities with no listed action cost), would you be able to apply one smite to everyone you attack, assuming that they’re all legal targets? If the action cost is a problem, this might at least work with a killoren’s smite attack, since the 10 minutes spent to activate a given aspect might take care of the action cost and simply let the smite be its own thing.

It’s a bit of a pity that it’s based on DEX when one of the easiest ways of getting wings (slap on dragonborn!) penalizes DEX, but I guess we can’t have everything.

Actually it's for this: Human Red Dragonspawn Feat Rogue 2/Bard 8/Sublime Chord 2/AbjurantChampion 5/Sublime Chord +3///Duskblade 13/Iot7V 7. with a Glaive or Spiked Chain (haven't made up my mind yet).

Knockback+Dungeon Crasher sounds interesting but I am unsure if I can fit them in.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Sneak attack and any other bonus damage would applt only to one target. Remember, once per standard action, once per attack roll.

This is a full round action, but still only 1 attack roll. Therefore only one sneak attack can be made.

I wonder if there is a way to make this work with spirited charge and a lance? That would be a cool damage boost.

Perhaps on a cleirc // wizard / swiftblade build.
    Last edited by Fouredged Sword; 2018-06-21 at 01:03 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, I think you could add 'Sense Weakness' to autoconfirm the critical threat and a vorpal reach weapon to autokill many opponents.

12. - Top - End - #12

BarbarianGuy

How does this feat interact with ranged attacks? I have a player with a Half-Fey flying character that is an archer; he's thinking of taking this feat.

The text of the feat implies it was written from the perspective of melee attacks (you must threaten every foe you attack somewhere along your line of travel), but nothing about Flyby Attack requires it to be melee.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
    How does this feat interact with ranged attacks? I have a player with a Half-Fey flying character that is an archer; he's thinking of taking this feat.

The text of the feat implies it was written from the perspective of melee attacks (you must threaten every foe you attack somewhere along your line of travel), but nothing about Flyby Attack requires it to be melee.
    You can make ranged attacks if you threaten the target, so something like Arrow Mind would allow you to use Great Flyby Attack as an archer.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

14. - Top - End - #14

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    You can make ranged attacks if you threaten the target, so something like Arrow Mind would allow you to use Great Flyby Attack as an archer.
    I was in error in my previous summation of the issue. The feat does not reference threatening at any point in its description. It only says the targets must be in your reach at some point along the line.

"All targets must be within your reach along the line of your movement."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm. Well, I suppose you have natural reach even if you don't threaten anything. You might still want Arrow Mind or similar to avoid provoking, though I guess it could be read that nothing RAW prevents you from shooting at a point when the target is out of reach as long as you pass close enough to them at some point during the movement. You could also read it as requiring that they be within reach at the time when they're targeted though.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2018-06-27 at 08:56 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Maybe Knockback + Dungeoncrasher to bull rush folks into the ground, if you happen to be exactly at the right altitude?
    If they're already standing on the ground, can you Bull Rush them into the ground?

I guess the more conventional thing would be to fly at ground level yourself and Bull Rush things into walls.