New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Drop Dead Studios Ask Me Anything #3

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    Hmm, I wasn't aware that Energy Blade works with ranged weaponry. Is that intended? Also, you misunderstood. The casting part needs to be a ranged touch attack, because this character won't go into melee. The actual ranged weapon can be anything.
    I meant use a gun with Energy Blade, so I think you may have misunderstood me here... And yes, Energy Blade working with ranged weapons is intended. Don't take the name quite so literally (should have been more like Energized Weapon but I digress).

But really, I don't see why Dual Wielding Mystic Fusion (a mouthful I know) doesn't work for you. It does work with ranged touch attack sphere abilities as well you know.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jff362 View Post
    Q374 What are the limits of a "suitable mount", for the Beastmaster's Monster Breaker ability. In it as simple as DM's discretion, or is there more guidance (in Spheres or general Pathfinder content)?

Q375 Are there plans for Spheres of Might Hero Labs support?

Thanks!
    A374: Generally, larger than you (barring the undersized mount feat or similar), and mostly horizontally inclined, probably solid and definitely corporeal (unless you are also incorporeal). Mostly the clause is a license for the GM to say 'no, that is too stupid for this game'. Its supposed to be flexible to fit your table.

A375: I have seen it said that herolab support would come after the SoP handbooks are done, but I am not a primary source on that.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    A375: I have seen it said that herolab support would come after the SoP handbooks are done, but I am not a primary source on that.
    The latest blog post (released today) gives an estimate for February. If it is 2019, is another question. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by AlienFromBeyond View Post
    I meant use a gun with Energy Blade, so I think you may have misunderstood me here... And yes, Energy Blade working with ranged weapons is intended. Don't take the name quite so literally (should have been more like Energized Weapon but I digress).

But really, I don't see why Dual Wielding Mystic Fusion (a mouthful I know) doesn't work for you. It does work with ranged touch attack sphere abilities as well you know.
    Dual Attack seems to require melee weapons?

Also Q376:

Dual Wielding Mystic Fusion: "As a special attack action, while you have martial focus you can use your Dual Attack, Brutal Combo or Tricky Combo ability with a sphere ability in place of your first offhand weapon attack."

Where is Brutal Combo or Tricky Combo? I can't find those talents/feats.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

4. - Top - End - #724
    Halfling in the Playground

Q377:

Is the mystic Advanced Spellstrike supposed to work with special attack actions? it seems a bit weird to me that you can't use special attacks with it when there is a feat that lets you do so with energy blade etc, or is the feat supposed to work for advanced spellstrike too?

Also Q378:

How do inventor's insight and greater craftsmans permanent invention interact?(Technician)
    Last edited by Kushurando; 2018-12-13 at 04:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ogre in the Playground

Dual Attack is intended to work with both ranged and melee weapons. One handed weapons as referenced in the ability should apply to any ranged weapon that can be wielded and fired with one hand.
    (I'm aware that one-handed and light are melee designations, but they were added to the ability by another developer intending to clear up some confusion about interactions such as greatswords and armor spikes, not to make it incompatible with ranged weapons.)
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2018-12-13 at 04:58 PM.

6. - Top - End - #726

Quote Originally Posted by Kushurando View Post
    Q377:

Is the mystic Advanced Spellstrike supposed to work with special attack actions? it seems a bit weird to me that you can't use special attacks with it when there is a feat that lets you do so with energy blade etc, or is the feat supposed to work for advanced spellstrike too?
    A377: Special attack actions are attack actions which do not stack with each other, unlike abilities requiring merely an attack action. So Advanced Spellstrike is compatible already.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Nope, great for two pistols/hand crossbows!
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

8. - Top - End - #728
    Orc in the Playground

Where is Brutal Combo or Tricky Combo? I can't find those talents/feats.
    They're both in the same sphere as Dual Attack, as in... Dual Wielding sphere.

9. - Top - End - #729

Quote Originally Posted by AlienFromBeyond View Post
    They're both in the same sphere as Dual Attack, as in... Dual Wielding sphere.
    It seems they are in the wiki but searching through my PDFs I can't find them (they aren't in the SoM book for sure). Where are they published?

10. - Top - End - #730

SamuraiGuy

It seems they are in the wiki but searching through my PDFs I can't find them (they aren't in the SoM book for sure). Where are they published?
    You’re right, the talents are missing. That is odd that the wiki is that wrong.
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't have a copy, but they might be in Woodfaring Adventures. The wiki might have just left off the 3PP tag if they're from somewhere else.

12. - Top - End - #732

Quote Originally Posted by SwordChucks View Post
    I don't have a copy, but they might be in Woodfaring Adventures. The wiki might have just left off the 3PP tag if they're from somewhere else.
    They aren't in that PDF (checked that again).

13. - Top - End - #733
    Orc in the Playground

Aha, figured it out. Those two talents were rolled into one, the Combo Maneuvers talent (which is also on the wiki so dunno wtf is going on there). AoP was probably just checking the wiki to be faster without realizing this.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 379

Can you use Spell Attack as part of a Mystic Assault?

15. - Top - End - #735

Quote Originally Posted by Zsaber0 View Post
    Q 379

A379

Let's collect the relevant rules:
    Spell Attack (Champion)
    Prerequisites: Casting class feature, and the Energy Blade from the Destruction sphere or Cryptic Strike from the Death sphere or Time Strike from the Time sphere.

When using Energy Blade, Cryptic Strike, or Time Strike as a standard action, the attack is treated as a special attack action. This attack may benefit from Vital Strike, as well as combat spheres that augment attack actions (but not other special attack actions).
    Mystic Assault
    Prerequisites: Casting class feature, base attack bonus +6.

Benefit: You may spend a spell point to make a full-round attack that replaces the first attack with any sphere ability or supernatural ability that can be used as a standard action and requires an attack roll. You must pay any costs required by this sphere ability or supernatural ability, such as spell points. Using the ability replaces your first attack among your iterative attacks. If you are using two weapons, then it replaces both the primary and secondary weapon attacks.

Using the sphere or supernatural ability can provoke an attack of opportunity (if it normally does so), and if the ability is disrupted, the associated attack is lost, but the remaining iterative attacks are not. You may decide after you have used your sphere or supernatural ability whether to continue with your full-round attack or if you wish to take a move action instead. The spell point is spent when you decide to proceed with your full-round attack. Abilities that replace any of your attacks in a full-round attack are not compatible with mystic assault, nor are other abilities that allow you to use a supernatural or sphere ability as part of an attack. Abilities that grant extra attacks (such as the haste ability of the Time sphere) are compatible. You can still use other abilities that can normally be used during a full-round attack as part of a mystic assault.
    So Spell Attack employs standard actions, because the talents referenced employ standard actions. Mystic Assault employs a full-round action and is thus incompatible with Spell Attack.

But that leads me to another question:

Q380

Energy Blade has the Improved Energy Blade feat as companion. Can you activate them both in the same round and apply twice the damage to the attack?

Q381

If one would combine both Dual Wielding Mystic Fusion and Mixed Assault (there is no Mixed Combo talent), can the weapon be ranged or has it to be melee?

Q382

Does Spell Attack consider the damage dice of the destructive blast part of Vital Strike?
    Last edited by EldritchWeaver; 2018-12-15 at 09:03 AM.

16. - Top - End - #736

MindFlayer

Q 379

A379 You can use any spell or supernatural power as part of mystic assault. The real question is, can you use a special attack action as part of mystic assault? If it's an attack, and can be used as a standard, I would say yes.

Not that anyone uses mystic assault, it's been pretty much superceded by SoM and the like.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.Gibson View Post
    Not that anyone uses mystic assault, it's been pretty much superceded by SoM and the like.
    A player in my game is going to play a grand purifier and is wondering about mystic assault and spell attack and I as the dm was wondering if it can be use together to get that iterative damage and haste benefits.

And I guess that leads me to a new question, assuming other things though.

Q383
    The grand purifiers smiting action has no Ex,Su, or Sp tag. Is this on purpose?
    Last edited by Zsaber0; 2018-12-15 at 12:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #738

MindFlayer

A player in my game is going to play a grand purifier and is wondering about mystic assault and spell attack and I as the dm was wondering if it can be use together to get that iterative damage and haste benefits.

And I guess that leads me to a new question, assuming other things though.

Q383
    The grand purifiers smiting action has no Ex,Su, or Sp tag. Is this on purpose?
    A383
    I swear, half the errata I've ever written has been for the Grand Purifier.

To review:

***Official Grand Purifier Errata***
    Smiting action is an alteration to smite, so it is Supernatural, as smite is. Also, smiting action should be a special attack. It basically exists because smite relies on full round attacking, and SoM wants you to not do that.

You get one condemnation at 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level.

The slowed condemnation has a Reflex save to negate.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Pixie in the Playground

Reposting Question
    "Q 360:

Are you able to use the duelist sphere Draw Cut talent in combination with Counterpunch, or are they considered two different types of actions that need to be readied?"

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skaia View Post
    Reposting Question
    "Q 360:

Are you able to use the duelist sphere Draw Cut talent in combination with Counterpunch, or are they considered two different types of actions that need to be readied?"
    A360 They can be used together, as long as all other requirements for both abilities are met.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Pixie in the Playground

Q384 A little confused by the tiefling's traitorous taint alternate racial trait in the trickster's handbook. Does the tiefling just get the ability to use the destructive blast, trick, illusion and charm effects as if she had the destruction, illusion and mind spheres with no talents if she is not an actual magic user and are the effects based on character level then if so?
    Last edited by Oulana; 2018-12-16 at 12:56 PM.

22. - Top - End - #742

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.Gibson View Post
    A379 You can use any spell or supernatural power as part of mystic assault. The real question is, can you use a special attack action as part of mystic assault? If it's an attack, and can be used as a standard, I would say yes.

This contradicts, how Paizo rules the applicability of Vital Strike (which can be only applied to attacks, which use a standard action to be initiated). Also note that this ruling would allow to any special attack action, like Deadly Shot and Barrage, whereas Spell Attack is itself a special attack action and bars the use of other special attack actions. So this is an upgrade. But do note that Mystic Assault uses also the move action up, so I'm not sure if this would be balanced or not. Considering that Improved Energy Blade does allow any special attack actions, while only costing a swift action in addition, it could be.

Nonetheless, considering the Vital Strike FAQ, allowing this is should be part of an errata for Mystic Assault.

Edit: Actually, what happens exactly? Let's assume a BAB 20 guy. With a full-round action you get 4 attacks. Mystic Assault says you replace the first attack. How does the standard action factor in? Is it the first attack? Then one could argue that you would only get your special attack action + 3 further attacks. (That alone is quite an upgrade - consider Barrage which grants 6 attacks already, plus the three in addition, and one potentially with haste...) But with no sphere ability from Mystic Assault. Which would invalidate the purpose of MA. Or you say, you replace the first attack of the attack routine with MA's special ability. With the Barrage example, the first attack will be replaced, then we still get 5 more barrage attacks, 3 full-round attack actions and maybe one due to haste. This sounds problematic.

OTOH, I could see that MA isn't a full-round action itself, but simply allows to replace the first attack action. Which could be from a special attack action. That way MA is useful in a SoM era as well. Spell Attack would still be useful, because it adds the spell damage to the first attack.
    Last edited by EldritchWeaver; 2018-12-16 at 06:08 AM.

23. - Top - End - #743

MindFlayer

This contradicts, how Paizo rules the applicability of Vital Strike (which can be only applied to attacks, which use a standard action to be initiated). Also note that this ruling would allow to any special attack action, like Deadly Shot and Barrage, whereas Spell Attack is itself a special attack action and bars the use of other special attack actions. So this is an upgrade. But do note that Mystic Assault uses also the move action up, so I'm not sure if this would be balanced or not. Considering that Improved Energy Blade does allow any special attack actions, while only costing a swift action in addition, it could be.

Nonetheless, considering the Vital Strike FAQ, allowing this is should be part of an errata for Mystic Assault.

Edit: Actually, what happens exactly? Let's assume a BAB 20 guy. With a full-round action you get 4 attacks. Mystic Assault says you replace the first attack. How does the standard action factor in? Is it the first attack? Then one could argue that you would only get your special attack action + 3 further attacks. (That alone is quite an upgrade - consider Barrage which grants 6 attacks already, plus the three in addition, and one potentially with haste...) But with no sphere ability from Mystic Assault. Which would invalidate the purpose of MA. Or you say, you replace the first attack of the attack routine with MA's special ability. With the Barrage example, the first attack will be replaced, then we still get 5 more barrage attacks, 3 full-round attack actions and maybe one due to haste. This sounds problematic.

OTOH, I could see that MA isn't a full-round action itself, but simply allows to replace the first attack action. Which could be from a special attack action. That way MA is useful in a SoM era as well. Spell Attack would still be useful, because it adds the spell damage to the first attack.
    Mystic Assault came out before SoM, so really, it's up to SoM rules to determine if it is compatible.

24. - Top - End - #744

Q385 How does Permanent Change interact with Material Body? Would you not lose the DR after so many hits?

25. - Top - End - #745
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q386
    Can a Spiritualism Hedgewitch take sphere-specific drawbacks when gaining a sphere they do not already possess through their tradition power? If so, can they change which drawbacks they have and/or which talents they gain from the drawbacks every time they use the power, or would they be locked into the same drawback(s) every time they select said sphere? Is RAW purposefully vague on this to allow GMs to decide how open-ended they want the ability to be?

Q387
    Alteration forms meld the targets equipment into their new form which is fairly straightforward for armor and other worn equipment, but what about held items like weapons? If the new form has able hands (5 forms by default, with one having the option, +Additional Limbs) do held items forcefully get melded or can the target/caster choose to keep them? Having to drop and pick back up a weapon seems kinda pointless, but I can't find a ruling anywhere.

Q388
    Is it possible to concentrate on two different sphere effects at once if they have different actions required (e.g. Easy Focus, Quick Transformation)? If there isn't a hard limit, does that mean that with Mage Archetype companions with Easy Focus and the Companion Concentration feat you could potentially concentrate on 2+2/companion effects at once?

Q389
    Does a companion count as the source of an ability for the purposes of the Shadow Creature form and/or the Figment Companion drawback when using the Companion Concentration feat or the Spell Conduit talent? Effectively, is the damage halved or does the target get a save, respectively, for abilities maintained with the feat or cast using the talent?

Apologies if these have been asked before, haven't found anything at least.
    Last edited by McTurbo; 2018-12-16 at 06:12 PM.

26. - Top - End - #746

Quote Originally Posted by McTurbo View Post
    Q386
    Can a Spiritualism Hedgewitch take sphere-specific drawbacks when gaining a sphere they do not already possess through their tradition power? If so, can they change which drawbacks they have and/or which talents they gain from the drawbacks every time they use the power, or would they be locked into the same drawback(s) every time they select said sphere? Is RAW purposefully vague on this to allow GMs to decide how open-ended they want the ability to be?

Q388
    Is it possible to concentrate on two different sphere effects at once if they have different actions required (e.g. Easy Focus, Quick Transformation)? If there isn't a hard limit, does that mean that with Mage Archetype companions with Easy Focus and the Companion Concentration feat you could potentially concentrate on 2+2/companion effects at once?
    A386

Yes, it is possible (also you can buy off drawbacks), but beware the wrath of the GM.

A388

There is a hard limit - namely all actions you have available this turn. You can use those actions as you see fit, which means that it is possible to concentrate on two effects at once under the circumstances you described.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q390 Can Admixture and its feat derivatives (such as Ghostly Admixture) apply to non-instantaneous destructive blasts such as Energy Aura? If so, do you only have to pay the spell point cost once upon cast?

It dawned on me that you could do some funny stuff like a level draining Energy Aura and make you a nightmare to fight in melee, provided you had the spell points to burn.
    Last edited by AncientSpark; 2018-12-16 at 09:24 PM.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

Q386
    A 386
    By RAW, yes.
    However, its been brought up and discussed- and I think we largely agree that its problematic... but there's not a decent consensus on how to change it. So I don't recommend swapping around your drawbacks willy nilly. Here are a few different options you might use:
    • You cannot select spheres you do not possess.
    • You cannot gain sphere-drawbacks with Spiritualism.
    • You select and lock in sphere-drawbacks when you select your casting tradition, even if you don't have the sphere or benefit from them yet (therefore you can't select them with spiritualism).

Q388
    A 388
    You can concentrate on multiple sphere effects at once. Theoretically, there is no limit on how many effects you can concentrate on. Practically, as Eldritch Weaver points out, you do have to have enough actions to concentrate on all of them at once (as concentration generally requires an action, and each effect requires its own concentration action).

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

Q387
    Alteration forms meld the targets equipment into their new form which is fairly straightforward for armor and other worn equipment, but what about held items like weapons? If the new form has able hands (5 forms by default, with one having the option, +Additional Limbs) do held items forcefully get melded or can the target/caster choose to keep them? Having to drop and pick back up a weapon seems kinda pointless, but I can't find a ruling anywhere.

Q389
    Does a companion count as the source of an ability for the purposes of the Shadow Creature form and/or the Figment Companion drawback when using the Companion Concentration feat or the Spell Conduit talent? Effectively, is the damage halved or does the target get a save, respectively, for abilities maintained with the feat or cast using the talent?

Apologies if these have been asked before, haven't found anything at least.
    A387: Ultimately, this falls back on Paizo's polymorph rules. RAW, I believe you are stuck dropping and picking up.

A389: The companion is only supplying the concentration, the parameters of the effect don't change.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientSpark View Post
    Q390 Can Admixture and its feat derivatives (such as Ghostly Admixture) apply to non-instantaneous destructive blasts such as Energy Aura? If so, do you only have to pay the spell point cost once upon cast?

It dawned on me that you could do some funny stuff like a level draining Energy Aura and make you a nightmare to fight in melee, provided you had the spell points to burn.
    A390: Admixture affects the blast type, not the blast shape, so works with all blast-shapes as they are. Note that affecting multiple creatures with another sphere ability via an admixture feat generally requires the mass talent from that sphere and maintains the caps of that talent, so you may cap-out before the duration of the blast expires.

Q380
    Energy Blade has the Improved Energy Blade feat as companion. Can you activate them both in the same round and apply twice the damage to the attack?

Q382

Does Spell Attack consider the damage dice of the destructive blast part of Vital Strike?
    A380: No, they do not stack.

A382: No. Vital strike would only affect the weapon damage dice, not the blast.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Pixie in the Playground

Q391
    Active Camouflage's Reduction for the Stealth Penalty for the "Sniper" function of the Stealth Skill would be impossible under normal conditions, no? You have to move at least 10ft. which means a Move Action has to be used. However using Sniper to stay hidden requires a Move Action on its own, meaning there wouldn't be a way to use it unless "you gain a competence bonus to Stealth checks equal to 1/2 your ranks in Stealth (minimum 1) for one round" (emphasis mine) means "until the end of your next turn". That way it would apply on the NEXT turn of the user and Sniper could be used after attacking the target. We've had some rules-lawyering about this and I'd would like to ask for clarification.
    Last edited by Gin-German; 2018-12-17 at 11:16 AM.