Spoiler: Spheres of Might authors
    Show

Andrew Stoeckle - stack
    N. Jolly - N. Jolly
    Michael Sayre - Ssalarn

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Drop Dead Studios Ask Me Anything #3

My original idea was using the creation sphere to create 2 medium sized iron resembling a humanoid, then use the Enhancement sphere to grant it the animation enhancement (with the Armor and Durable add ons) and the Bestow Intelligence enhancement. I was hoping to give them Sphere Abilities for them to use.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Q2 Companions do not disapears when the caster get unconscious (or sleeps), right? When a Great Summon + Lingering Companion'ed companion does disapear? As soon as the caster goes to sleep? When he wakes up?
    Last edited by freduncio; 2018-06-20 at 07:03 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Q1:
    Quote Originally Posted by viperwolf306 View Post
    My original idea was using the creation sphere to create 2 medium sized iron resembling a humanoid, then use the Enhancement sphere to grant it the animation enhancement (with the Armor and Durable add ons) and the Bestow Intelligence enhancement. I was hoping to give them Sphere Abilities for them to use.
    Q2:
    Quote Originally Posted by freduncio View Post
    Companions do not disapears when the caster get unconscious (or sleeps), right? When a Great Summon + Lingering Companion'ed companion does disapear? As soon as the caster goes to sleep? When he wakes up?
    Please number questions as above for easier tracking.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by viperwolf306 View Post
    Q1: My original idea was using the creation sphere to create 2 medium sized iron resembling a humanoid, then use the Enhancement sphere to grant it the animation enhancement (with the Armor and Durable add ons) and the Bestow Intelligence enhancement. I was hoping to give them Sphere Abilities for them to use.
    A1: Well, if you make an object into an intelligent item, they can also possess feats (although there aren't rules on how many feats an intelligent item possesses, unless you create a specific intelligent item such as the Metamagician's Apprentice); Alternatively, Gear of Power includes rules for spherecasting intelligent items, which could also be useful. Ofcourse, all of this is entirely within GM territory, and require GM permission to pull off.
    Last edited by Mehangel; 2018-06-20 at 07:22 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Q3 Why do Sphere-specific drawbacks in Spheres of Might exclusively grant specific talents? In Spheres of Power, many Sphere-specific drawbacks indicate a broad category of talents that you must select from or can't select from, but don't specify a specific talent. Spheres of Might appears to have gone in a different direction.
    Last edited by THUNDERJeffro; 2018-06-20 at 08:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by THUNDERJeffro View Post
    Q3: Why do Sphere-specific drawbacks in Spheres of Might exclusively grant specific talents? In Spheres of Power, many Sphere-specific drawbacks indicate a broad category of talents that you must select from or can't select from, but don't specify a specific talent. Spheres of Might appears to have gone in a different direction.
    A3: I believe the following Quote from the Spheres of Might playtest thread answers this question best.
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jolly
    Something I'd like to say here is that the team this time wasn't in love with every precedent that SoP sent. Yes, it did a lot of things right, but we had our own ideas for how to make things more internally consistent, which involved standardizing drawbacks in this way. Drawbacks are a VERY powerful option, and as we've seen, people are capable of utilizing them in ways we couldn't have expected before. Unlike what I assumed SoP had in mind when making them, the SoM team was well aware that we'd have expansions, and because of that, hard locking drawbacks the way that we have secures us from not needing to worry about new talents that possibly break with these drawbacks. The team knows that we won't be working on every future supplement, so while we can ensure that the base drawbacks are fair for core SoM, we can't plan for every possible future book, and because of that, talent locking drawbacks felt like a way to make sure these drawbacks don't eventually become the backbone of breaking the system we've poured ourselves into. This opens the door for future books to include their own specific drawbacks which can be looked over in seclusion because we don't have to compare all the new options and everything else each time, which makes life easier for both our newer developers and the older staff in that we are capable of avoiding chimeric builds being overpowered (as well as we can at least) as well as allow for new specific drawbacks in newer books for new talents, which allows us to make sure our content is more balanced on your end as well as ours.

Is it limiting? Yeah, and we're not 100% happy about that, but as we've learned through this project, we sometimes need certain things in place when creating something like SoM to make sure the entire book doesn't become "Oh, with this one combo, you can do a million damage, book's broken!", as that's something that we've seen far too often to other projects which were otherwise fine. So this is me as a developer telling all of you that these decisions were made both for the health of the base product as well as possible expansions since we need to look at the long game for things like this. Developing for this new system has been a joy, and we do thank every one of you for the feedback, and we'd like to ask that you trust us when we make decisions like this, as we're doing it to make sure we can put out the best product possible. We'll always try to be around when we can to answer questions, and we do accept that not everyone will enjoy this option, but this is the reason we've chosen to structure things like this.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mehangel View Post
    I believe the following Quote from the Spheres of Might playtest thread answers this question best.

Awesome quote from N. Jolly here
    Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. I figured there had to be a design reason, I just wanted a better understanding of what that was.

Edit to add: If anyone sees this question/answer in the future, the link Mehangel provided was very enlightening. I don't know if that discussion came up on the Paizo forums where I generally spent my time during the playtest.
    Last edited by THUNDERJeffro; 2018-06-20 at 09:52 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Q4: What are, if any, the limitations on the fleshcraft and bestow life advanced talents (especially the combination of the two)? Also, how do you determine the body/life bestowed creature's ability scores?

From what I can tell, the only explicit limitations of fleshcraft (in the case of creating a body) is that if you want it to look like someone specific, you must make a disguise check, and the only implicit limitation is your size limit for creation effects. As for bestow life (in the case of granting life to an empty body), the only explicit limitation is that the created creature is a "1st level commoner of whatever race its body was crafted to mimic."

It seems a bit questionable to think that someone could make the body of any monster whose size is in the caster's creation range, which could then be reanimated into a incredibly powerful undead, or given life through bestow life and be made the caster's friend. Likewise, it seems odd that bestow life doesn't seem to have an explicit HD cap the way reanimate has, or the CL to HD scaling that animate object has. Yes, it says it makes a 1st level commoner, but that's just a single class level that takes no account for racial hit dice. It feels like these uses of these talents are unusually open ended compared to how other advanced talents are designed.

Likewise, it isn't clear how ability scores are to be determined for the fleshcrafted body/life bestowed creature. At least bestow life's "awaken" function clearly states a straighforward 3d6 for mental scores, which could be extrapolated to the "grant life" function, but fleshcrafting a permanent body is quiet on this point.

So any clarification, rules declaration, the pointing out of something I missed or a previous ruling, or any combination of those would be greatly appreciated.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Q5 Can someone give their alchemy sphere items to another to use? If they are a doctor (sage archetype) can they give away the healing infused items?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Tracking post, don't mind me.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q6
    How does Perfect Offensive (Striker Tension), and Piledriver interact?

Scenario:
    Lilly the Drunk is unhappy with Steve the Sober so she grapples poor Steve. After pinning Steve, Lilly activates a Piledriver ending the grapple and automatically threatening a critical hit. Can she use Perfect Offensive to auto confirm the crit?

Q7
    When does Drunken Boxer's maximize damage come into play?

Scenario:
    Lilly the Drunk is at it again, slamming a bottle of rotgut. As she already has Improved Unarmed Strike, she is considered to be one size category large for the purposes of unarmed damage. In this case, 1d6 to 1d8. She attacks Steve and decides to expend her Drunk status to maximize her unarmed dice. Does she deal 6 or 8 damage?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuneymg View Post
    Q5 Can someone give their alchemy sphere items to another to use? If they are a doctor (sage archetype) can they give away the healing infused items?
    I can't answer this, but where is the Doctor archetype? I can't find it in my copy of Champions!

E: Figured it out, you had misnamed the base class - Doctor is a Scholar archetype!
    Last edited by Galacktic; 2018-06-21 at 07:13 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Adam, could you please add the Spheres of Might thread to your first post and close that one?
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

15. - Top - End - #15

A5 Looking through the Alchemy sphere I don't see any text restricting the use to the creator. In particular, you can sell formulae. So sharing items seems fine to me.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

A5 Yes, and very intentionally so.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Q8 ​how you create akasic mysteries in spheres system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q9: Any projections on when the Death Sphere Handbook might come out? I'm just concerned that it may not come out at all, with the authors of various DDS products stating a company concern of preparing for PF2.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Q10: How does the spheres system interact with unchained action economy?
    Last edited by VladtheLad; 2018-06-21 at 04:46 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

So I read through Gear of Power. I’m still am unsure on how to determine the spellcasting of intelligent items. I could use some help.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by mrguymiah View Post
    Q9: Any projections on when the Death Sphere Handbook might come out? I'm just concerned that it may not come out at all, with the authors of various DDS products stating a company concern of preparing for PF2.
    A9: I don't know when Luke plans to wrap it up, the Death handbook draft is sitting at 18k words, so I wouldn't worry. I wouldn't worry about any of the handbooks, really.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Q11: The text for a Technician's Grand Gadget Invention has two unique improvements: Chemical Thrower and Permanent Gadget. Both of these list a limited number of uses, but neither says if they recharge, or are reloaded, or how or when. RAW, it seems like they just have three/four uses, period, which seems odd for a class feature. It's also a bit strange that the Permanent Gadget improvement exists on a Grand Gadget invention that, in theory, should be doing the job of a gadget permanently anyway. Could we get some clarification?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by VladtheLad View Post
    Q10: How does the spheres system interact with unchained action economy?
    To be honest I am actually would be more interested to know what happens if you use unchained action economy with 3 actions+1 swift action, without being able to take more than one swift action per round, since I am not using unchained action economy as is.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.Gibson View Post
    A9: I don't know when Luke plans to wrap it up, the Death handbook draft is sitting at 18k words, so I wouldn't worry.
    Q12:
    How much money do I have to slide across the table to have that book enter playtest? It feels like it's been most of the way done for a year now.

EDIT:
    Q13:
    Can the races that recieve Conjuration as a bonus talent choose to trade out their companion with the Caller drawback? Most of them specify you have to take a certain type of companion.
    Last edited by Mithril Leaf; 2018-06-22 at 04:45 AM.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.Gibson View Post
    A9: I don't know when Luke plans to wrap it up, the Death handbook draft is sitting at 18k words, so I wouldn't worry. I wouldn't worry about any of the handbooks, really.
    Thank you for the timely response. For me, it’s definitely been highly anticipated Since the release of SoP, I’ve been playing a Soul Weaver, so I’ve been very eager to see the expanded options. I’m glad and relieved to hear that I (and others!) won’t be left to dry because of the approaching system update.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q14
    Leg Cutter (Duelist Bleed ability) states "If the creature takes bleed damage from the attack, they must succeed at a Fortitude saving throw or fall prone." When does the saving throw trigger: when Inigo Montoya first hits or when the 6 Fingered Man starts his turn and takes Bleed damage?

Q15
    The Conscripts Duelist Specialization 3rd level ability Death By A Thousand Cuts reads "Whenever the conscript deals bleed damage to a creature, it must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + the conscript’s base attack bonus + current bleed damage)." When does the save trigger? Does 1 Bleed damage force a save every turn until the bleed is stopped or does a Save take place solely when the Bleed is applied?
    Last edited by Azernak0; 2018-06-22 at 04:50 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Q16

Combat Sphere Specialization (Combat)
    Your knowledge of one particular combat sphere is without peer.

Prerequisite: 1 or more combat spheres.

Benefit: Select one combat sphere you possess, you treat your base attack bonus as 1 higher for the purposes of its effects, but not for attacks made with talents from that sphere. At 5th level and every 4 levels afterwards, the chosen sphere’s base attack bonus is treated as an additional 1 higher, although the sphere’s effective base attack bonus cannot be higher than your character level.

Special: You may select this feat multiple times, each time selecting a different sphere.
    Does this provide any benefit to a full BAB character? I'm unsure if, for example, a level 7 conscript could be treated as level 8 for a single sphere, but NOT level 9; or if since it can't let you have an effective BAB higher than your character level, this does nothing for a full BAB character.

Upon re-reading it, I'm 95% certain it provides no benefit to full BAB characters. It looks like it's meant to make low BAB characters quasi-mid-BAB and mid-BAB characters quasi-full-BAB.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by THUNDERJeffro View Post
    Q16

Does this provide any benefit to a full BAB character? I'm unsure if, for example, a level 7 conscript could be treated as level 8 for a single sphere, but NOT level 9; or if since it can't let you have an effective BAB higher than your character level, this does nothing for a full BAB character.

Upon re-reading it, I'm 95% certain it provides no benefit to full BAB characters. It looks like it's meant to make low BAB characters quasi-mid-BAB and mid-BAB characters quasi-full-BAB.
    A16: No benefit if full BAB.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    A16: No benefit if full BAB.
    Thanks for the quick turnaround.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q17

Sphere Oracles get a clause so that curses that add spells known actually work with the class, whereas the Hedgewitch Black Magic tradition just includes advice to avoid taking those curses - how come it didn't just get the same clause as Sphere Oracles?