New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Drop Dead Studios Ask Me Anything #3

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dinosaur View Post
    Q241: Is there any way to apply multiple (Trick) talents to a single Dirty Trick or Steal attempt, or to add one to an attempt made as a free action?
    Not that I am aware of.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Q252: Is there a reason the sphere wizard archetype loses both arcane school and arcane bond? It seems like the incanter sphere specialization plays the role of the arcane school of the base wizard, and I don't know of a way for the sphere wizard to get back the familiar.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

3. - Top - End - #423
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Q253: Hi, just wanted to say before I asked my question, that I really enjoyed your Spheres of Might system, perhaps even more than you Spheres of Power system! However I thought that there were a couple of gaps with the spheres of might system, particularly there didn't seem to be very many weapon specific-spheres, such a sphere for swordsmen that aren't agile fencers or duelists, or for great weapons that aren't berserkers. Are there any specific directions you are looking to expand the system?

Are you considering a make-your-own technique system, similar to the spellcraft system in Spheres of Power?

Rules question: if I use the glow spell on a weapon, then spend 3 points for the prismatic enhancement, can I deliver the effects on strike, perhaps with a once-per-round limit, as to avoid making full attacks broken. It seems balanced to me, it requires a turn of set-up, is resource-intensive, and loses the AOE capability, but I also doubt it was intended.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oulana View Post
    Bound fang gives me another question. How would the bound fang, unarmed training talent and dragon tattoo feat all interact?

Unarmed training let's natural attacks count as unarmed strikes.

Dragon tattoo lets the whole body be enchanted as a weapon so all unarmed attacks and grapples regardless of limb used.

Q250 would having bound fang and using your natural attack from it, effect the characters whole body or would it be independent of any other enchanting her unarmed strikes have been given? Can blind fang be used to bind unarmed strikes as your bound weapon?
    A250: Bonuses from bound weapon only apply to the natural attack granted from bound fang. If you have bound fang, you could grant yourself one natural attack for each bound weapon you are entitled to, but each is still treated as a separate bound weapon and remain independent of each other. If you have a way to apply other enchantments to natural attacks, both that method and the bound weapon bonuses apply, but note that they won't stack (a +2 bound weapon doesn't get any benefit from a further +1 enhancement bonus from another source unless that source explicitly stacks with other enhancement bonuses). Magic weapons also have a general limit of +10 worth of enhancements they can benefit from at once unless otherwise noted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Q251:
    Let's say I have an Armorist 2/Incanter 1, with the Sphere Specialization of the Incanter in the Alteration Sphere and the Natural Shifter trait. What would my caster level with the Alteration Sphere be? It is unclear if the limit of improving your CL to your hit dice apply before or after other sources of bonuses, and if we should just go by the old adage of most beneficial order.
    A251: Most beneficial order. Apply the trait first, then the specialization can put you above your HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabirius View Post
    Q253: Hi, just wanted to say before I asked my question, that I really enjoyed your Spheres of Might system, perhaps even more than you Spheres of Power system! However I thought that there were a couple of gaps with the spheres of might system, particularly there didn't seem to be very many weapon specific-spheres, such a sphere for swordsmen that aren't agile fencers or duelists, or for great weapons that aren't berserkers. Are there any specific directions you are looking to expand the system?

Are you considering a make-your-own technique system, similar to the spellcraft system in Spheres of Power?
    (omitting rules question, someone else can answer it)
    We very deliberately avoided weapon-specific spheres. Some spheres end up working better with certain weapons (obviously duel wielding requires weapons you can dual wield, sniper and barrage require ranged attacks, shield needing shields, etc). Nothing in fencing or duelist discourages a strength-based build. You can use a 1-handed weapon or even a dagger with berserker. I would recommend not getting too hung-up on the names of the spheres. Throwing in some tripping abilities doesn't require your PC to look like a monk (open hand). A barbarian can make his enemies bleed and knock the weapons from their hands (duelist) just fine. Your character's basic fighting style and theme come from your tradition, then you build out with the mechanics you want from there.

That isn't to say there are not things that could be added, just that weapon-specific stuff is not a direction we need to go in.
    Last edited by stack; 2018-10-10 at 07:00 AM.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Pixie in the Playground

Q254: Does the Bound Armory (arsenal trick) under the Armorist archetype Lingchi warrior make it possible to take the Imbued Arsenal (arsenal trick) from the main Armoist list?

Love the system, great work!

6. - Top - End - #426
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Quick response: DDS isn't bound by any design decisions made in books by other publishers, so the dragoon and reaper are not points of comparison that can be given much weight.
    In comparison to the Grand Purifier archetype for Paladin then?

7. - Top - End - #427
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    In comparison to the Grand Purifier archetype for Paladin then?
    I'll be honest, I still don't quite understand your question. Martial Hedgewitch and Runic Knight both provide proficient combat progression, but at a significant cost. The martial archetypes for Armorist and Mageknight cost nothing but initial proficiencies. I don't see what the problem is?

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nabirius View Post
    Q253

Rules question: if I use the glow spell on a weapon, then spend 3 points for the prismatic enhancement, can I deliver the effects on strike, perhaps with a once-per-round limit, as to avoid making full attacks broken. It seems balanced to me, it requires a turn of set-up, is resource-intensive, and loses the AOE capability, but I also doubt it was intended.
    A253

Not with the talent as written. It sounds to me like it would be viable as an alternate version of the talent (eschewing area for a targeted effect), probably at a lower cost. Its not something I've deeply considered or playtested though.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keante View Post
    Q166

So does a feat actually need to have "Prerequisites: Casting" for an incanter to select it as a bonus feat, or is it broader than that? There are a lot of feats (like Dual Sphere feats and Sphere-Focused feats) which don't list casting in the prerequisites but feel like appropriate feats for the incanter.
    I'd like to bump this question, I think it may have gotten lost in the shuffle. I agree with Keante that Sphere-Focused feats feel like they should be appropriate picks, but while they assume casting, they don't have casting as a listed prerequisite. But I also imagine this ability could be easily broadened to the point where it didn't feel like you were picking from a limited list of options at all.

10. - Top - End - #430

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by THUNDERJeffro View Post
    I'd like to bump this question, I think it may have gotten lost in the shuffle. I agree with Keante that Sphere-Focused feats feel like they should be appropriate picks, but while they assume casting, they don't have casting as a listed prerequisite. But I also imagine this ability could be easily broadened to the point where it didn't feel like you were picking from a limited list of options at all.
    A166: 'Anything with casting as a prerequisite' means you need casting to have it, directly or indirectly. When we write feats, we only list the prerequisites that are not prerequisites for other prerequisites. You don't need to say "Prerequisite: Casting" when it requires a specific sphere; you are wasting space.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.Gibson View Post
    A166: 'Anything with casting as a prerequisite' means you need casting to have it, directly or indirectly. When we write feats, we only list the prerequisites that are not prerequisites for other prerequisites. You don't need to say "Prerequisite: Casting" when it requires a specific sphere; you are wasting space.
    Excellent, thank you very much.

12. - Top - End - #432

RedWizardGuy

Q255: The Incanter's Lattice Weaver specialization allows the lattice to be moved up to 20 feet as a move action. Does that include vertical movement, allowing a Greater Barrier lattice to act as a floating platform? And if so, can characters "ride" on the lattice as it floats around? Also, since the ability counts for "any barrier", I assume that includes a Barrier Maze ward- how does that talent interact with the ability to move the lattice around?
    My Homebrew
    Healer: Pathfinder remake of the 3.5 class of the same name. Light, restoration, and more positive energy effects than you can shake a cleric at.

13. - Top - End - #433

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ElFi View Post
    Q255: The Incanter's Lattice Weaver specialization allows the lattice to be moved up to 20 feet as a move action. Does that include vertical movement, allowing a Greater Barrier lattice to act as a floating platform? And if so, can characters "ride" on the lattice as it floats around? Also, since the ability counts for "any barrier", I assume that includes a Barrier Maze ward- how does that talent interact with the ability to move the lattice around?
    A255: Barriers can not be walked on; they are force fields, not solid objects. Vertical movement is probably okay. I never considered the interaction between barrier maze and lattice weaver, so I'd have to say it's up the GM, but I personally would allow the player to move one column at a time as a move action.

Edit: So I talked to the Devs, and there really is no clear answer except 'GM's call'. Wall of Force and similar spells are the basis of Barrier, and none give an answer. I personally feel that thematically and for power level reasons, a barrier can not be stepped on. It is a field of force that pushes things away; it would be like trying to step on a hurricane. If a character were to step on a barrier, I would have him automatically fall prone and slid down it to the edge where it meets the ground.
    Last edited by A.J.Gibson; 2018-10-12 at 07:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Troll in the Playground

Q256 and Q 257 so in normal sphere system all current classes get small reservoir of enery writing in their spell pool write up so question would be what means as medium or large reservoir of energy in sphere system twice the level plus casting stat or some other formula?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Pixie in the Playground

Q:258

For the new AoP Sorcerer Archetype, Dual Blooded Sorcerer, assuming that you could do Sphere Focus to substitute Spell Focus, would you still be eligible for a Bloodline Mutation? If so, would you trade out only one of the two bloodline's power or both of them?

16. - Top - End - #436

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Skaia View Post
    Q:258

For the new AoP Sorcerer Archetype, Dual Blooded Sorcerer, assuming that you could do Sphere Focus to substitute Spell Focus, would you still be eligible for a Bloodline Mutation? If so, would you trade out only one of the two bloodline's power or both of them?
    A258:RAW, probably not, since it requires Spell Focus, and only works with Sorcerer spells. RAI, it's probably fine, though if you replace your first level power, you will no longer benefit from United Heritage.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q:259

What happens when a Technician's Powered Suit is targeted by Polymorph Any Object? On a wider scale, how do saves against non-weaponlike effects work for someone in a Technician Powered Suit? Say a fort save vs a sickening effect. Do you use the Pilot's Con modifier or +0 from the suit?

Q:260

Is there any way to apply two Blast shape talents to a blast? Namely, Energy Blade (With the improved feat) and Explosive Orb
    Last edited by Genth; 2018-10-13 at 02:08 AM.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q261 Regarding the Spirit Blade Armorist using the permanent weapon form alternate rule: Will your AC ever be needed? If you are attacked, would your character AC apply, or the AC of an inanimate object (or, if lifting yourself through Telekinesis, the AC granted to objects there)? I'm inclined to think that you wouldn't be able to use a normal character AC if you have speed 0ft (as indicated by the sample character, Forsaken Blade).

Even if your character AC is never used, I suppose you would still want to have it calculated in case someone shapeshifts you into a more normal creature form.

I was trying to glean things from Forsaken Blade's stat block, but the AC is not adding up at all...I think there must be an "original Dexterity score" hidden in there which is shown as 10 because of that line from the weapon form ability. Also, the permanent weapon form alternate rule talks about losing all benefits of your race, but then Forsaken Blade still has low-light vision and the Skill Focus feat that half-elves get.

Forsaken Blade's bludgeon attack modifier doesn't add up, either. Shouldn't it be 5 BAB + 5 WIS (casting mod) + 2 (enhancement) = 12, rather than 8?
    Last edited by Keante; 2018-10-14 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Removed question about talking, that's in the text

19. - Top - End - #439
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Reposting an earlier question that wasn't answered:
    Q130: Can a Parzivallian Knight select the special consecration granted by Knight of Wands for their Idylls?

Also,
    Q262:
    What's replaced by the Runesinger Fighter's Runes ability? Also, do they only ever get 2?

20. - Top - End - #440

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by TheGSE View Post
    Q262:
    What's replaced by the Runesinger Fighter's Runes ability? Also, do they only ever get 2?
    A262: When a martial class is converted to SoM, it gives up it's proficiencies to gain a a martial tradition. The fighter, however, has a lot more proficiencies then most other classes do, so I figured tossing them a bone wouldn't be a terrible thing. As for acquiring new runes: that's what rune feats are for. I was going to trade out feats for a progression of runes, but so many fighter archetypes already do that, I decided to just make them feats and let players use whatever feats remain to acquire them, while using their SoM talents to acquire any other combat abilities they might like.

In retrospect, runesinger probably could have been a completely new champion class.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    Q252: Is there a reason the sphere wizard archetype loses both arcane school and arcane bond? It seems like the incanter sphere specialization plays the role of the arcane school of the base wizard, and I don't know of a way for the sphere wizard to get back the familiar.
    I'm curious about that too. I didnt see anything in the sphere specializations I feel are more powerful or beneficial than the school specializations. Is there something we're not seeing that you felt made them more powerful?

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    Q256 and Q 257 so in normal sphere system all current classes get small reservoir of enery writing in their spell pool write up so question would be what means as medium or large reservoir of energy in sphere system twice the level plus casting stat or some other formula?
    I am not sure what you are asking. Can you give an example or further clarify?
    Quote Originally Posted by Genth View Post
    Q:260

Is there any way to apply two Blast shape talents to a blast? Namely, Energy Blade (With the improved feat) and Explosive Orb
    A260: Spellcrafting works (DM approval as always). There is not an additional way outside of the limited option to add a burst to the end of an energy leap with the Improved Energy Leap feat from the Destroyer's handbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keante View Post
    Q261 Regarding the Spirit Blade Armorist using the permanent weapon form alternate rule: Will your AC ever be needed? If you are attacked, would your character AC apply, or the AC of an inanimate object (or, if lifting yourself through Telekinesis, the AC granted to objects there)? I'm inclined to think that you wouldn't be able to use a normal character AC if you have speed 0ft (as indicated by the sample character, Forsaken Blade).

Even if your character AC is never used, I suppose you would still want to have it calculated in case someone shapeshifts you into a more normal creature form.

I was trying to glean things from Forsaken Blade's stat block, but the AC is not adding up at all...I think there must be an "original Dexterity score" hidden in there which is shown as 10 because of that line from the weapon form ability. Also, the permanent weapon form alternate rule talks about losing all benefits of your race, but then Forsaken Blade still has low-light vision and the Skill Focus feat that half-elves get.

Forsaken Blade's bludgeon attack modifier doesn't add up, either. Shouldn't it be 5 BAB + 5 WIS (casting mod) + 2 (enhancement) = 12, rather than 8?
    A261: Your AC would only apply if you are not being wielded. If subject to an effect like telekinesis that set's an object's AC, use the higher since you are a creature treated as an object.
    As for Forsaken Daughter's stat block, the racial abilities were missed in a late-game alteration to the permanent object form rules. The AC line is plain wrong; should be 15 across the board for regular, touch, and FF. Not sure what happened there, but it is probably my fault. My eyes cross if I work on stat blocks too long. I have much more sympathy for those stat block errors in WotC and Paizo books these days.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    I am not sure what you are asking. Can you give an example or further clarify?
    what i ask was How you developers quantify medium and large pool in spheres system.
    here is small example of what i asked
    Spoiler: incanter spell pool text
    Show
    An incanter gains a small reservoir of energy he can call on to create truly wondrous effects, called a spell pool. This pool contains a number of spell points equal to his class level + his casting ability modifier (minimum: 1). This pool replenishes once per day after roughly 8 hours of rest.
    question was how you handle changing the bolded part in spoiler to large or medium reservoir and how i write them properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Apologies for not getting to these; I probably didn't have time (I was pretty busy around then) and then it got lost in the shuffle.
    Thank you ^^

Thought of a couple more questions regarding Conjuration sphere

Q186 The Boon Bound Creature companion says you may choose it's type without gaining any of the benefits of said type. I'm assuming though it can still take a Type talent that matches your desired type for it and gain the benefits or is that suppose to imply it can't buy a type talent? I was a little confused since the conjurer's handbook has the new type talents and I noticed it had a later publishing date than the player's guide to skybourne.
    A186: They can still benefit from the (type) talents. The only distinction between form and type talents is to limit stacking of the type talents.

Q187 How does Amorphous Creature work for permanently summoned companions? Such as the Incanter's 20th level ability to permanently conjurer a companion or the Boon Bound Creature. Can they change base forms by just spending the normal spell point cost to summon them and like shapeshifting on the spot (kind of how I thought the talent worked before reading) or is it a worthless form to such a companion?
    A187: As written, it doesn't apply. I'm not sure if allowing it to work with the normal summon time + SP cost would be a problem or not; normally you are paying ~3 SP for a major companion (1 summon, 1 no concentration, 1 boost duration), and for a normal companion you would have to repay that cost each time. 1 SP for changing the base of a permnant companion is probably too cheap, 2 might work/ Gut feel, haven't tried it.
    Q188 Can a companion with multiple altered size talents and the variable size feat selectively suppress it's talents? Like if you gave it 2 altered sizes to reduce to Tiny size, can it choose to only suppress 1 of the talents and only grow back to small instead of all the way to Medium? or could you give it the talent twice but buy one as a shrink and one as a grow (equaling default Medium size again since they stack) but then suppress one or the other to allow it to vary between Small through Large sizes?
    A188: Text is ambiguous. I can't recall if this came up in playtest or not. I think allowing the finer control should not be a problem considering the investment made.
    Q189 What happens with the companion from Bound Creature and conjuration sphere drawback Solitary Summons? Is the bound creature considered summoned since it can't be dismissed and that allows you to summon 1 companion the normal way or would that be one you just couldn't take while having the Boon?
    A189: Bond creature is as much a way to get a customized familiar/companion (which you require for casting) as anything and is "paid for" via drawbacks; I wouldn't count it against your solitary summons, but probably best to give your GM a heads-up before bringing it to the table (as with any build that will rely on multiple companions).
    Q190 How do modifiers to caster level that state they cannot be raised higher than your current character and unlimited modifiers to caster level stack together? I figured they would be a wash and you just lost the extras but then I seen the expanded caster level chart in the Conjurer's Handbook. Would a lvl 20 character that's multiclassed in Sphere Sorcerer and another magic user class that ended up with a lvl 15 caster level using conjuration as focus sphere and the Boon Companion (form) have a caster level of 20 for 1 companion and 16 for the rest or would she have 21 for the boon companion?
    A190: Apply benefits in the most beneficial order. 16/21 is correct.
    Q191 and a random Alteration question for good measure. The Fusion talent states that the two minds are present within the combined body. It says only one can control the body but what about strictly mental actions? if you merged an enemy hoping to limit their actions but one was a psychic tradition without any verbal, somatic or material components would he be able to to take a standard action to use his sphere powers while the other one continued to steer the body around or could he continue to hold concentration on a spell or ability that needs concentration?
    A191: Fused creatures can still take mental-only actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion Advanced Talent
    Both of the base creature’s minds remain independent, retaining mental ability scores and Will saves and are capable of taking purely mental actions, but they act on the same initiative.
    Casting without components and maintaining concentration are both possible. Seems like being merged ought to be enough to force a concentration check, but that is a gap in the polymorph rules I suppose.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    what i ask was How you developers quantify medium and large pool in spheres system.
    here is small example of what i asked
    Spoiler: incanter spell pool text
    Show
    An incanter gains a small reservoir of energy he can call on to create truly wondrous effects, called a spell pool. This pool contains a number of spell points equal to his class level + his casting ability modifier (minimum: 1). This pool replenishes once per day after roughly 8 hours of rest.
    question was how you handle changing the bolded part in spoiler to large or medium reservoir and how i write them properly.
    In the text 'small' is not being used as a technical term; it is implying a significant limit rather than defining an amount. If it said 'large', in this context it would mean something along the lines of 'you have enough not to worry about it', which would be problematic balance-wise.

The class with the largest base pool is the sphere sorcerer archetype, which gets 2 SP per level instead of 1 like everyone else. This is granted by a separate ability though, not by the base spell points text. The spell points text is standard across all classes and archetypes as far as I recall.

26. - Top - End - #446

MindFlayer

I'm curious about that too. I didnt see anything in the sphere specializations I feel are more powerful or beneficial than the school specializations. Is there something we're not seeing that you felt made them more powerful?
    A252: Incanter specialization includes not only powers on par with a wizard school, but also grants the sphere itself and a +1 caster level bonus (that can go over hit dice) at level 1. This is not only a really good trade, but also very front loaded.

27. - Top - End - #447

Q263 there's something about two of the new Archetypes of Power archetypes that's confusing me - in exchange for ten talents, a Bastion of Conviction Warpriest loses five bonus combat feats, whereas in exchange for fifteen talents, a Soldier of the Gods Inquisitor only loses Solo Tactics and six bonus teamwork feats - given how bad most teamwork feats are (even with Solo Tactics), it seems like Warpriests are getting a bit of a rough deal? What's the logic behind that?
    Last edited by ChrisAsmadi; 2018-10-16 at 01:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Q264: Is Growling Marauder compatible with Urban Skald? And if not, would it be fair to let them be? I'm not sure if there Sphere archetype rules invalidate the proficiency modification conflict.
    Spoiler
    Show
    5e is the placebo RPG. It doesn't do much, and literally everything it does do is done better by other RPGs. Despite all the evidence though, some people still swear by it.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

Q265 Are the bonus feats gained by a permanent weapon Spirit Blade in addition to the bonus feats gained by all characters at odd levels? Are they received at every 5th Spirit Blade level or every 5th character level?

Q266 If I have a Spirit Blade possessing a companion with the Figment drawback, do enemies get to make a Will save against attacks the companion makes with the Spirit Blade in bound weapon form?
    Last edited by dude123nice; 2018-10-16 at 02:50 PM.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dude123nice View Post
    Q265 Are the bonus feats gained by a permanent weapon Spirit Blade in addition to the bonus feats gained by all characters at odd levels? Are they received at every 5th Spirit Blade level or every 5th character level?

Q266 If I have a Spirit Blade possessing a companion with the Figment drawback, do enemies get to make a Will save against attacks the companion makes with the Spirit Blade in bound weapon form?
    A265: Bonus feats are bonus, the are in addition to any normal feats you would get. You get them based on class level (this is the default in cases where it is not specified).
    A266: Yes, they still save.

I have to say, the emergent properties of this system are amazing. "I am a sentient weapon wielded by my imaginary friend."