New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Drop Dead Studios Ask Me Anything #3

Quote Originally Posted by netmancer View Post
    Q35
    This might be partially answered by Q34, but the phrase for the SoP classes, "may combine spheres and talents to create magical effects", does this just mean you can take the different spheres and their talents, or does this mean you can cast a talent from one sphere combined with a talent from another?
    This means that you can gain Spheres and Talents (in Spheres that you have gained) and use them when using a sphere ability. Most of the time that means gaining a Sphere's Base ability by spending a talent and then gaining another talent which can be used to change how the base ability functions.

For example, if you were a mid caster and let's say that you have 3 talents in total to spend on Talents. You can gain the Destruction Sphere, Fire Blast (from within the Destruction Sphere), and then Nature (with the Fire Package). You can now make a Destruction Blast of either the default type or a Fire Blast when using the Sphere's Base Ability. However you would have to use a different action to use a Fire Geomancing ability from the Nature Sphere. However, you could also get a Sphere-Focused Feat called Fan the Flame which would let you mix the effects of your Fire Blast from the Destruction Sphere and you ability to Affect Fire from the Nature Sphere.

If you wanted to further mix Sphere Effects and Talents you could use the Spell Crafting System through the use of Spellcrafting Feat.

So basically, that means you can use a Sphere's Base Abilities and augment the base ability with that Sphere's Talent Tree. Then, by use of certain feats (like Dual Sphere, Sphere-focused, and Admixture Feats) and Spellcrafting you can combine the abilities of multiple Spheres together.

Hopefully that is clear and not too long winded.
    Last edited by ImmortalTimothy; 2018-06-27 at 11:49 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalTimothy View Post
    (Note: If I come across as rude, stubborn, or excessively argumentative in this message or other messages in the future of this discussion it is not my intention and I am simply trying to further the discussion to a resolution as well as make a case for the answer I desire with the reasoning behind it. I am open to have my mind changed and will, of course, be accepting of any official answers. I just tend to type a lot in my discussions.)

However, this interpretation would also exclude the access to any feats gained by class features such as, lets say for example, the monk gaining Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist (just in terms of the base Feat, not the monk bonuses they get with using it), and ANY bonus Combat Feat a monk would gain. I would definitely argue that those would be intended to be able to be used with the Shadow Lurk (at the very least the any Combat Feat one) because they are more Feats given by Class Features but the Feats themselves are not Class Features (as they are not exclusive to the class and not something that makes the class unique by themselves). However, that is how I see them and I agree with how Mehangel would rule the Talents (however I am biased towards the answer being in favor of this point of view).

Especially since it seems very odd that I could gain Unarmed Training from a Class Feature and not be able to use it with my Lurks. However, if I did not choose to gain Unarmed Training through a Class Feature, I could then gain it as a Feat through normal feat progression to have it work with my Lurks. Or it would make the trading in Feats for a Progression System a lot better system as they are now usable with the Lurks.

It would also make the Shadow Boxer (which in this case a Monk who specializes in the Dark Sphere as a Low Caster) much weaker because they would have really no reason to take the Shadow Lurk ability (even though it would be weaker anyway due to being a low caster) and would have the ability to combine the Shadow Boxer's Martial Abilities with his Lurks. Which the Shadow Lurk Talents meshes well with the classes overarching concept of using shadows to attack enemies (Also, note that I am only using the Shadow Boxer and Monk as easy examples and actually have no interest playing this particular class, so augments about Monk particular things is not the main focus of this discussion).
    (Note: No worries at all. Same goes for me...)

To clarify, I wasn't implying that ALL feats gained through a class feature would be unusable, I said just the feats that gave extra magic and combat talents would. The class feature "casting" means the character has access to magic spheres, and "combat training" mean they have access to combat spheres, none of which would be usable by the lurk. Also to point out further, the shadow lurk (level 2) talent does specifically say feats and proficiencies in general are usable, however class features are not, so I haven't disagreed with you on anything so far. Without official verification, when it's referencing class features, I say it's the unique abilities of that class. So with the monk example you provided, the lurk would have Improved Unarmed Strike (since anyone can have it) but none of the ki abilities (since it is available to only specific, dare I say a certain class of, individuals. As with your example of Unarmed Training, even though it is technically a combat talent, it gives the character specific weapon proficiencies, so I would think they would still be usable by the lurk. However any benefits beyond the profiencies would not be usable by the lurk...

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

This means that you can gain Spheres and Talents (in Spheres that you have gained) and use them when using a sphere ability. Most of the time that means gaining a Sphere's Base ability by spending a talent and then gaining another talent which can be used to change how the base ability functions.

For example, if you were a mid caster and let's say that you have 3 talents in total to spend on Talents. You can gain the Destruction Sphere, Fire Blast (from within the Destruction Sphere), and then Nature (with the Fire Package). You can now make a Destruction Blast of either the default type or a Fire Blast when using the Sphere's Base Ability. However you would have to use a different action to use a Fire Geomancing ability from the Nature Sphere. However, you could also get a Sphere-Focused Feat called Fan the Flame which would let you mix the effects of your Fire Blast from the Destruction Sphere and you ability to Affect Fire from the Nature Sphere.

If you wanted to further mix Sphere Effects and Talents you could use the Spell Crafting System through the use of Spellcrafting Feat.

So basically, that means you can use a Sphere's Base Abilities and augment the base ability with that Sphere's Talent Tree. Then, by use of certain feats (like Dual Sphere, Sphere-focused, and Admixture Feats) and Spellcrafting you can combine the abilities of multiple Spheres together.

Hopefully that is clear and not too long winded.
    Nope, that whole part makes sense, thank you. Now I just have to figure out how that Hypnotic Darkness works...

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

Nope, that whole part makes sense, thank you. Now I just have to figure out how that Hypnotic Darkness works...
    Okay, so basically what that feat does is make it so any darkness you create through the Dark Sphere's ability is considered being augmented with Looming Darkness (even if when you created it you choose it to not be a Looming Darkness) for the purposes of using the Confusion, Fascinate, Fear, or Sleep Mind talents on targets that are within your darkness.

For example, you make a patch of darkness over three creatures, 2 enemies and 1 ally. You chose not to have it be a Looming Darkness to spare your ally the Save Penalty that Talent imposes. However, you then use the Confusion Talent from the Mind Sphere on Enemy 1; for the purposes of the Save for the Confusion Talent, the darkness over Enemy 1 is now considered a Looming Darkness for just him, so it imposes the penalty for the Save for Confusion but Enemy 2 and the Ally in the darkness are unaffected.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

Okay, so basically what that feat does is make it so any darkness you create through the Dark Sphere's ability is considered being augmented with Looming Darkness (even if when you created it you choose it to not be a Looming Darkness) for the purposes of using the Confusion, Fascinate, Fear, or Sleep Mind talents on targets that are within your darkness.

For example, you make a patch of darkness over three creatures, 2 enemies and 1 ally. You chose not to have it be a Looming Darkness to spare your ally the Save Penalty that Talent imposes. However, you then use the Confusion Talent from the Mind Sphere on Enemy 1; for the purposes of the Save for the Confusion Talent, the darkness over Enemy 1 is now considered a Looming Darkness for just him, so it imposes the penalty for the Save for Confusion but Enemy 2 and the Ally in the darkness are unaffected.
    Ok, I'm getting that. But how are you targeting Enemy 1? Can you see, or at least sense, into your own darkness? And I'm assuming a spell point has been spent on the darkness so you no longer have to concentrate on it...?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

Ok, I'm getting that. But how are you targeting Enemy 1? Can you see, or at least sense, into your own darkness? And I'm assuming a spell point has been spent on the darkness so you no longer have to concentrate on it...?
    So from what I can see you would need to have Darkvision for the most part to be able to see clearly. There is a Talent that grants Darkvision in the Dark Sphere. Then you can use Clearsight Talent to see in the Pure Darkness Talent (as long as you already have Darkvision).

Also, if you take two general drawbacks (in casting traditions) you can use them to purchase the Easy Focus Boon which allows you to concentrate using your move action instead of your standard action. That would allow you to concentrate on two effects at the same time by using your move and standard action. However, the spell point option is also a good way of doing it so you do not have to worry about it.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

... "combat training" mean they have access to combat spheres, none of which would be usable by the lurk.
    ... since anyone can have it...
    However, your interpretation in regards to the above quotes does not hold up for the Spheres of Might Talents because anybody can gain the Extra Combat Talent without that class feature. If I went a pure Wizard I could gain Extra Combat Talent Feat to gain the Scout Sphere without a class feature giving me that.

I think this may be simply a difference of interpretation and it really needs an author's answer to clear up.
    Last edited by ImmortalTimothy; 2018-06-28 at 07:14 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 36:
    Is there any particular reason that the Unchained Monk doesn't get a Spheres of Might archetype? Monk archetypes can't be applied to both, unlike Rogue and Barbarian.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 37: Can a troubadour who has taken the masterpiece actor training once use a feat to gain access to a second masterpiece?

The logic being that the masterpiece ability let's you take any masterpiece for which you meet the prerequisites. The prerequisites normally are skill ranks and being a bard. Since I assume that the ability functions as written, once you have taken the masterpieces ability, you must count as a bard for the purpose of being able to take masterpieces.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Q 36:
    Is there any particular reason that the Unchained Monk doesn't get a Spheres of Might archetype? Monk archetypes can't be applied to both, unlike Rogue and Barbarian.
    A36: Considering what is being replaced, the archetype looks compatible to unchained monk.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    A36: Considering what is being replaced, the archetype looks compatible to unchained monk.
    Except that even if it doesn't replace anything that the UnMonk couldn't trade away,a) As mentioned, RAW UnMonks can't take Monk archetypes, and b) the UnMonk is different from the UnRogue and UnBarb in that it has different BAB that their chained, which is kinda a big deal with SoM,
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

However, your interpretation in regards to the above quotes does not hold up for the Spheres of Might Talents because anybody can gain the Extra Combat Talent without that class feature. If I went a pure Wizard I could gain Extra Combat Talent Feat to gain the Scout Sphere without a class feature giving me that.

I think this may be simply a difference of interpretation and it really needs an author's answer to clear up.
    Actually, no you couldn't. Extra Combat Talent specifically states "gain an ADDITIONAL sphere or a talent from a combat sphere you possess." Despite there not being a prerequisite, I would argue you have to a sphere already. But yes, definitely a difference of interpretation. Good discussion...

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Actually, no you couldn't. Extra Combat Talent specifically states "gain an ADDITIONAL sphere or a talent from a combat sphere you possess." Despite there not being a prerequisite, I would argue you have to a sphere already. But yes, definitely a difference of interpretation. Good discussion...
    It had been stated that the system was made to easily work alongside conventional base and core classes, with Extra Combat Talent serving unto non-Practitioner classes a way to dip their toes into the system.

Despite the bolded wording, a character does not require first having prior Spheres or Talents to gain the benefit of the feat, hence the no prerequisites.

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Except that even if it doesn't replace anything that the UnMonk couldn't trade away,a) As mentioned, RAW UnMonks can't take Monk archetypes, and b) the UnMonk is different from the UnRogue and UnBarb in that it has different BAB that their chained, which is kinda a big deal with SoM,
    a) Where exactly is that RAW stated? b) So? Monk needs a buff. Unchained monk still needs a buff.

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    a) Where exactly is that RAW stated? b) So? Monk needs a buff. Unchained monk still needs a buff.
    A) It's written right in the opening paragraph of Introductions in the Classes section of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder Unchained, Classes: Introduction, pg 8
    Finally, with the exception of the monk, these classes should work with any of the archetypes from previous books as long as the classes still have the appropriate class features to replace.
    B) You want to houserule it, fine. But RAW, it isn't legal unless it is explicitly also labled as an unchained monk archetype.

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by Mehangel View Post
    A) It's written right in the opening paragraph of Introductions in the Classes section of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Pathfinder Unchained, Classes: Introduction, pg 8[/B]]Finally, with the exception of the monk, these classes should work with any of the archetypes from previous books as long as the classes still have the appropriate class features to replace.
    My understanding is that the unmonk is so different from the monk in the way the class is structured, that the archetypes aren't compatible anyway. So this isn't a general rule, but an emerged fact, that pre-existing archetypes don't work. Also a quick googling around showed this post supporting my view:

Jason Bulmahn explained that you technically still could take classic monk archetypes as an Unchained monk, replacing Unchained class features at the levels indicated by the classic archetype's features, but it wouldn't be nearly as clean, wouldn't work in all cases, nor would it be legal in PFS.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Q37

Can a Doomblade use Spheres of Might special attack actions with its blade?
    Could it for example impale someone with its touch attack? In that case, would the attack deal the doomblade's damage in bleed when removed or the duration expires?

18. - Top - End - #78

Imp

Q38

Can the Guardian talent "Defend other" be used after the result of an attack is known? The talent itself does not specify, unlike let's say active defense in the shield sphere, which specifically calls out needing to decide before the result is known.

19. - Top - End - #79

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    Greater Dustbringer Aura (from the Dustbringer Archetype for the Mageknight) allows you to subject any missile to your Alter (Destroy) ability. However, I'm not entirely sure what the HPs of most ammunition are. Can somebody help me with this?
    Any Update on this?

20. - Top - End - #80

Q39

Have there been plans or discussions to expand the martial focus mechanic to casters as well, a-lā psionic focus?
    Hector Morris Ashburnum-Whit - Curse of the Crimson Throne - IC / OoC
    Bosek of Kuru - A Falling Star - IC / OoC
    Gifu Lavoi - Heritage of Kings - IC / OoC

21. - Top - End - #81

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by DrMartin View Post
    Q39

Have there been plans or discussions to expand the martial focus mechanic to casters as well, a-lā psionic focus?
    What would that do and how would that work?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Q39

A39: Currently its just a drawback mechanic. Don't think it really needs expanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.Gibson View Post
    What would that do and how would that work?
    good questions! hence my wonder, whether the developers had thought about it. I know that lately this thread is seen sort of like a FAQ / technical support but my question was 100% in Ask Me Anything spirit :)

The way it work in spheres of might is very elegant, since most (all? would have to check) spheres have a)ways to expend the focus, b)ways to recover the focus, c)abilities that work better if you have the focus, and d)abilities you can only use if you are focused.

The only reference to this concept I can find in SoP is a tradition drawback, mental focus, which makes it difficult to cast if you have lost your focus - that would fall between c) and d) in my categories above. So if one would want to work a system starting from that, and wanting to check all the points above, there would be need of something that requires spending focus in order to work - 3.5 made it necessary to spend psionic focus to use metamagic feats, but maybe thereīs more interesting way to apply it, maybe a boon, since in this instance the focus comes from a drawback? and something else that made it possible to recover focus as a consequence to some other action, as most SoM talents affecting recovering focus seem to trigger this way and, as I said above, is a system that I quite like. But in SoP Iīd like to see it done differently, by that I mean not through talents, since between all the options already available between handbooks and apocrifas thereīs already too many options for my tastes :P

So, again, there comes my question: has the developer team considered developing something like it? itīs evidently not in the books, so if such an idea was considered was it scrapped or reserved for later expansions? and why?
    Hector Morris Ashburnum-Whit - Curse of the Crimson Throne - IC / OoC
    Bosek of Kuru - A Falling Star - IC / OoC
    Gifu Lavoi - Heritage of Kings - IC / OoC

24. - Top - End - #84

good questions! hence my wonder, whether the developers had thought about it. I know that lately this thread is seen sort of like a FAQ / technical support but my question was 100% in Ask Me Anything spirit :)

The way it work in spheres of might is very elegant, since most (all? would have to check) spheres have a)ways to expend the focus, b)ways to recover the focus, c)abilities that work better if you have the focus, and d)abilities you can only use if you are focused.

The only reference to this concept I can find in SoP is a tradition drawback, mental focus, which makes it difficult to cast if you have lost your focus - that would fall between c) and d) in my categories above. So if one would want to work a system starting from that, and wanting to check all the points above, there would be need of something that requires spending focus in order to work - 3.5 made it necessary to spend psionic focus to use metamagic feats, but maybe thereīs more interesting way to apply it, maybe a boon, since in this instance the focus comes from a drawback? and something else that made it possible to recover focus as a consequence to some other action, as most SoM talents affecting recovering focus seem to trigger this way and, as I said above, is a system that I quite like. But in SoP Iīd like to see it done differently, by that I mean not through talents, since between all the options already available between handbooks and apocrifas thereīs already too many options for my tastes :P

So, again, there comes my question: has the developer team considered developing something like it? itīs evidently not in the books, so if such an idea was considered was it scrapped or reserved for later expansions? and why?
    If I wanted to make Mental Focus to work more like Psionic Focus, all that would be needed is to make a couple of (drawback) feats, having the Mental Focus drawback as a prerequisite. As for the development team considering something like this, all that it takes is for someone to take reins of it and draft it up (likely as an Apocrypha document filled with 10-12 (drawback) feats revolving around the Mental Focus drawback).

25. - Top - End - #85

MindFlayer

To be clear; you're suggesting a mechanic where you have focus, have certain powers available while focused, can expend focus for greater effect, and have ways of recovering focus all based on what sphere you're using? That's kind interesting, though it reminds me a great deal of the Prodigy (except for the Prodigy, focus has levels of focus). It would require an amount of work, and wouldn't be as effective with those spheres commonly used out of combat (like Divination, or any sphere with lots of long duration buffs).

I think Mehangel's suggestion of drawback feats is good: if you could come up with 10 feats that built of Mental Focus, Adam would probably look at publishing it.

(Also: Mental Focus was written as a fix for Arcane Bond more than anything else.)

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    Q37

Can a Doomblade use Spheres of Might special attack actions with its blade?
    Could it for example impale someone with its touch attack? In that case, would the attack deal the doomblade's damage in bleed when removed or the duration expires?
    A37: You make attacks with the destructive blade in place of normal attacks, so yes, you can use it as an attack action. Given the publishing times, it was obviously not written with SoM in mind. I suppose as written it can be used to impale, but I would be very reluctant to recommend allowing it to deal that much bleed damage. I wonder if touch attacks and lancer don't play that well (or too well, rather) together. I would only allow the base 1d6 (or 1d4 or 1d8 depending on blast type) to be inflicted as bleed.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    Q38

Can the Guardian talent "Defend other" be used after the result of an attack is known? The talent itself does not specify, unlike let's say active defense in the shield sphere, which specifically calls out needing to decide before the result is known.
    A38:You need to use it before the result is known. It should have been specified for clarity, but I think allowing such things after the result is the more exceptional case.
    Last edited by stack; 2018-07-02 at 01:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

Q40
    Is there any plans to make a warp Sphere handbook or a time Sphere handbook?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by viperwolf306 View Post
    Q40
    Is there any plans to make a warp Sphere handbook or a time Sphere handbook?
    A40: Every base book sphere is getting a handbook. Time is currently in playtest.

On my phone, so no link.
    Last edited by stack; 2018-07-02 at 07:25 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

Q41
    So my curiosity got the best of me and I started wondering if there was any way to temporarily grant a target spellcasting abilities.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by viperwolf306 View Post
    Q41
    So my curiosity got the best of me and I started wondering if there was any way to temporarily grant a target spellcasting abilities.
    A41: Hedgewitch with the spiritualism tradition and the infuse other secret.