New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Drop Dead Studios Ask Me Anything #3

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhan View Post
    Q129

So, advanced magical training allows a caster to get CL as if their non casting classes were low casting classes. They also get to choose a tradition if the GM permits. I suppose this would be GM choice but, if they WERE to take a casting tradition, and elect to not get boons with their drawbacks, would they get spell points as if those non-casting levels were casting levels?

Edit: Q129 Part B

Do those 'sort of' casting levels apply to anything else such as MSB and MSD? Or any other derived abilities based on levels in casting classes instead of Caster Level?
    Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    A129correction

AMT does one thing and one thing only, which is letting your non-casting class levels count as low level casting progression for purpose of Spheres CL

- It does not grant MSB or MSD
    - It does not grant Spell points beyond those provided by your casting ability modifier, even with a tradition
    - It does not apply to racial HD

In previous threads, different DMs as well as the Developers discussed levels of houserules which add one or more of the above aspects to the feat, but Rules as written and originally intended, all you get is what's written in the feat
    I think Adam Meyers response in the AMA thread #1 might be relevant:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Meyers
    @digiman619: It was a shorter way of saying they gain one at 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th, etc..." Level. Advanced magical training grants caster level (and MSB and MSD, I'll add that in the errata), and more spell points if you don't have any, but that's it.
    So yes, Advanced Magical Training is supposed to grant/increase MSB and MSD.

As for Racial Hit Dice, Adam Meyers hasn't flat-out said that it will be errata'd to include them, he did however say the following:

@Mehangel: Racial hit dice for PCs are such a finicky thing that I've never seen a GM not have to tweak something here or there. I'd allow Advanced Magic Training to work for racial HD, but be ready in case it somehow gets out of hand. I don't think it will, though.

2. - Top - End - #212

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    A112: Yes, you may remove the effect from the pool.

A215:With the feat, each component creature may take a standard action using the amalgamated body. Doing so means that the amalgamated body can't take a move action that turn. Each creature in the body can still take a mental only move and swift action (quickened spell with no verbal/somatic/skill components, concentration with easy focus, etc.)

A127: Beginning the imbuement or activating the finisher count as a sphere effect. It does not specify that they count as an effect of that sphere. I am not sure if there are any other cases were it matters, but I would say yes, it counts as that sphere.
    Thanks for the answers!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think Adam Meyers response in the AMA thread #1 might be relevant:

@digiman619: It was a shorter way of saying they gain one at 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th, etc..." Level. Advanced magical training grants caster level (and MSB and MSD, I'll add that in the errata), and more spell points if you don't have any, but that's it.
    So yes, Advanced Magical Training is supposed to grant/increase MSB and MSD.

Thank you for the answer! This is indeed what I was looking for!

Now, Bumping this:

Originally Posted by Scholar's Knack

Q 28:)
    The scholar chooses a single combat sphere she possesses; she may use her class level in place of her base attack bonus when determining her bonus to hit, combat maneuver bonus, combat maneuver defense, ability DCs, and all other functions of the sphere normally determined by her base attack bonus when using talents or abilities granted by that sphere. The scholar may take this knack multiple times, choosing a different combat sphere each time. The scholar may not select the Equipment sphere with this knack.

Normally, when something like a feat or trait lets you act as if your BAB was higher for the purposes of a sphere, it's just for effects that track that, but this one specifically calls out bonus to hit, CMB and CMD, among other things. The question then is: How does that work? If I choose the Sniper sphere and have a crossbow, do I get the boost to hit only when I use a Deadly Shot? Or when I shoot into melee, since it affects that action? Or with, for example, the attacks of opportunity from the Covering Fire talent?
    I'm specifically interested in this: Does using a related sphere ability mean your attack bonus goes from 1/2 BAB to full BAB? IF I choose sniper sphere, and I'm level 10, does that mean I get +5 to ht so long as I'm using a sniper ability? The rest makes sense to me, basically uppng your ability with the sphere to a full BAB character. But the to-hit part throws me off a bit.

Sorry if it was answered, I didn't see it.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Q132:
    The Transformation feat contains the following line:
    The chosen form may be the same as your base size or else Medium or Small. When assuming your chosen form, you gain the chosen size.
    Assuming we are large sized and take this feat, then choose to become Medium sized, do strength and dexterity change from that size change? If so, by how much?
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

5. - Top - End - #215

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhan View Post
    Thank you for the answer! This is indeed what I was looking for!

Now, Bumping this:

I'm specifically interested in this: Does using a related sphere ability mean your attack bonus goes from 1/2 BAB to full BAB? IF I choose sniper sphere, and I'm level 10, does that mean I get +5 to ht so long as I'm using a sniper ability? The rest makes sense to me, basically uppng your ability with the sphere to a full BAB character. But the to-hit part throws me off a bit.

Sorry if it was answered, I didn't see it.
    A similar question was answered, but yours is more comprehensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tariyan Draegr View Post
    Q73: For the scholars martial study scholar knack, if the scholar were to take that for the brute sphere, would he gain the ability to use his class level for bab for unarmed attacks and the brute maneuvers, or just to shove? As an expansion on that question, if he were to take it for the barroom sphere, would he gain the effect on all improvised weapon attacks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    A73: He would gain it on any attack or maneuver granted by a talent, such as shove or Drop.
    My question would be whether AoOs provoked while the Guardian sphere's Patrol ability is set up, as I see it as a little ambiguous. Characters natively have the ability to make AoOs against targets that leave threatened squares, but if it's provoked by one of the extra threatened squares granted by Patrol, then it is granted by the talent, in a way.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Pixie in the Playground

How does Dual Wielding sphere interact with Multiweapon fighting?
    As it says you make an additional attack with an off-hand, I assume it is in singular and only one. But what if you get the Multiweapon Fighting feat? Would it increase or is Dual Wielding still strictly just two weapons?

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Play4leftovers View Post
    Q 133:How does Dual Wielding sphere interact with Multiweapon fighting?
    As it says you make an additional attack with an off-hand, I assume it is in singular and only one. But what if you get the Multiweapon Fighting feat? Would it increase or is Dual Wielding still strictly just two weapons?
    A 133: It's still only a single weapon, regardless of how many attacks you have.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Q134: Was the Street Fighter Monk intended to keep the monk's AC bonus feature? Unarmored Training came out in the same book so it seemed odd to leave it.

Q135: Similarly, the Monk Weapon Training talent gives its secondary effect to characters with Brawler's Flurry and Flurry of Blows which the Street Fighter replaces with Flurry Strike. Is this intended to apply to only archtypeless monks?

9. - Top - End - #219
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Alchemy questions, all related to using special attack actions to throw an improved alchemist's fire or acid:

Q135
    Can you add damage modifiers to the direct hit of your formula? (i.e. Sneak attack, precision damage, bleed damage, snipe damage)

Q136
    If you have applied additional damage beyond base+alchemy ranks to a direct hit, does that additional damage factor into the "half damage" splash?
    dealing 1d6 fire damage +1d6 per two Craft (alchemy) ranks you possess to the target of a direct hit, half that damage to targets 5 ft. away from the point of contact
    Q137
    If you have added bleed damage to the initial hit, and it influences the splash damage, would it then also be bleed damage on the splash, or simply be added up into the total?
    Last edited by kkplx; 2018-08-01 at 09:18 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220

Imp

Q138

If you hit a creature and apply your bleed - does the creature take the bleed damage from Duelist immediately, as well as at the start of their next turn? Is either answer affected by critical hits?
    The confusion stems from the fact that pathfinder has listed bleed under conditions, yet Spheres of Might continues to refer to it as "bleed damage" - the first implying "no" is the answer, the second "yes"
    Last edited by kkplx; 2018-08-02 at 12:11 AM.

11. - Top - End - #221

Imp

Q139

Does the reduction of natural armor from "Tear Flesh" stack?

12. - Top - End - #222

Q140: The Object Transformation talent turns people into objects. So does this take care of needing to breath and to sleep and other stuff?
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

13. - Top - End - #223

ElfRangerGuy

Does presence or absence of ambient light, or other creatures` darkvision, have any effect on Chameleon (lens) talent?

You can cause light and color to shift around a target, granting it the ability to blend in with its surroundings. The target gains a circumstance bonus to Stealth checks equal to your casting ability modifier. An object hidden in this way requires a Perception check to notice (DC 10 + the object’s size modifier + your casting ability modifier). In addition, the target gains the ability to hide even while being observed, though the target must move no more than half its speed each round to use this benefit.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q142: Why is there a Favored Damage Magic Trait when there is a Gift for Magic Magic Trait?

A character cannot take them both, even if the Gift for Magic would be with a different sphere than Destruction, because there is a limitation gaining more than a single trait from a trait category.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
    Q 141 Does presence or absence of ambient light, or other creatures` darkvision, have any effect on Chameleon (lens) talent?
    A 141
    No. The only limit to the talent is having to move at half speed to gain its secondary benefit. Light levels have nothing to do with it.

16. - Top - End - #226

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Q142: Why is there a Favored Damage Magic Trait when there is a Gift for Magic Magic Trait?

A character cannot take them both, even if the Gift for Magic would be with a different sphere than Destruction, because there is a limitation gaining more than a single trait from a trait category.
    A142: It is a simple matter of one being published before the other. In this particular case, the Favored Damage trait was published first.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q143: If an Armiger assigns an Alchemy formulae talent to one of her customized weapons, let's say Salve, do the items remain functional even when the Armiger is not wielding the weapon?
    Last edited by Von Krieger; 2018-08-04 at 02:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228

Imp

Q144

Does the Blind-Fight Feat help against the miss chance imposed by the guardian sphere's "Iron Wall" talent?

19. - Top - End - #229

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Mehangel View Post
    A142: It is a simple matter of one being published before the other. In this particular case, the Favored Damage trait was published first.
    To elaborate: Adam's original intent was to have a similar trait in each book, but by the time Life came around (book 11), most of the books hadn't done this. When I wrote the original version, it was Life only, people asked why it was limited (which is like the most common comment I get on any of my works) and I changed it.

The results have been messy. The Destruction and War traits have been replaced with better versions, the Fate trait has been made completely redundant (even though Life came out first), and Conjuration, Alteration, and Dark have racial versions that let you take Focused Concentration or Iron-Plated Will as you Magic trait.

20. - Top - End - #230

Imp

Q145

If you animate a branch with the nature sphere, does it count as a magical weapon when attacking for example a dragon with DR magic or an incorporeal creature immune to nonmagical attacks.
    my gut instinct as DM was to say no, as for example an animated object would not count as such unless previously enchanted. However, I could not find any talent that would allow players to thusly improve animated branches.

Q146

Is there any intent to make apocryphas or handbooks for the Spheres of Might spheres?
    Last edited by kkplx; 2018-08-05 at 10:02 AM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 147: Concerning Momentum talents from the War Sphere, it is noted that Marauding Momentum has a limit on its use. Is there any particular limit on any of the other Momentum talents? Ex: Resilient Momentum grants damage mitigation equal to the CAM for each one momentum point expended. Could the struck character spend more than one momentum point to reduce the damage by several times the CAM of the War Sphere caster?

22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground

Q148: If you use object transformation and Permanent transformation on a creature and then kill them, they would remain as the transformed object. If you then made them into Platinum for instance would it not completely ruin the economy? It is not as much of a question as it is a consideration to errata it.
    A 160 pound man turned to platinum would weigh roughly 3,200 pound and be valued at 1,600,000 gold. It would essentially do what Costly Creation does for a much lower SP price, talent price, and lower caster level needed.

23. - Top - End - #233

Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    Q145

If you animate a branch with the nature sphere, does it count as a magical weapon when attacking for example a dragon with DR magic or an incorporeal creature immune to nonmagical attacks.
    my gut instinct as DM was to say no, as for example an animated object would not count as such unless previously enchanted. However, I could not find any talent that would allow players to thusly improve animated branches.
    A145 Branches that are animated with the pummel Nature sphere ability do not count as a magical weapon for the purpose of DR/magic or attacking incorporeal creatures. On the plus side however, such attacks are not subject to Spell Resistance.

While not strictly RAW, I would allow the branches to be enhanced via the Enhancement sphere (probably by the Natural Enhancement talent).

24. - Top - End - #234

MindFlayer

Q146Is there any intent to make apocryphas or handbooks for the Spheres of Might spheres?[/QUOTE]

I believe N Jolly wants to do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Q 147: Concerning Momentum talents from the War Sphere, it is noted that Marauding Momentum has a limit on its use. Is there any particular limit on any of the other Momentum talents? Ex: Resilient Momentum grants damage mitigation equal to the CAM for each one momentum point expended. Could the struck character spend more than one momentum point to reduce the damage by several times the CAM of the War Sphere caster?
    A 147

Most of the momentum talents have some sort of limit on how much you can use, since momentum is often a free action to use, and can be gathered out of combat easily. It would be easy to build up a huge pool of momentum and drop it all on one effect.

Aggressive Momentum (momentum) - requires a swift action
    Damaging Momentum (momentum) - once per attack
    Demoralizing Momentum (momentum) - requires immediate action
    Favorable Momentum (momentum) - once per turn
    Marauding Momentum (momentum) - 4 times per turn
    Resilient Momentum (momentum) - doesn't stack
    Tactical Momentum (momentum) - once per combat maneuver
    Threatening Momentum (momentum) - multiple points don't have an additional effect

Resilient Momentum isn't supposed to stack. I guess that isn't obvious from the text. Realistically, it wouldn't be too overpowered if it did stack.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Pixie in the Playground

Q149: Is there any way to turn electricity into spell points. Such as a character getting struck by lightning and the damages instead becomes a spell point.
    Q150: can animated objects gain class levels?

26. - Top - End - #236
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Q151) Are there plans for more comprehensive rules for converting Dreamscarred Press classes into Spheres?
    Namely for something like the Soulknife, which can have either low psionic casting or mid level PoW abilities, would those also let you trade out for Low Sphere of Power / Adept Spheres of Might?

Q151A) Can we expect to see a spinoff book of Spheres adaptations for Dreamscarred classes in the future? That would be nifty if someone went through all the Dreamscarred stuff out and adapted them and / or made archetypes for them.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q152: With regards to Ceaseless Ammo, if one has a magazine with 10 or more ammo in it, does that mean that you never have to reload?

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valdimarian View Post
    Q151) Are there plans for more comprehensive rules for converting Dreamscarred Press classes into Spheres?
    Namely for something like the Soulknife, which can have either low psionic casting or mid level PoW abilities, would those also let you trade out for Low Sphere of Power / Adept Spheres of Might?

Q151A) Can we expect to see a spinoff book of Spheres adaptations for Dreamscarred classes in the future? That would be nifty if someone went through all the Dreamscarred stuff out and adapted them and / or made archetypes for them.
    I would almost certainly allow a Tactician to trade off his powers and power points for a proficient progression or a Psychic Warrior a adept one, but I'm not a developer, so I don't claim to be an authority. Also, there was a Soulknife archetype in the Time handbook, but it's still in production so it'll be a bit before it sees the light of day.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Q153 So playtest of 2e is out and here is the offical question how you guys gonna handle the new edition while spell pool is know part of all caster classes i realy like to know your ideas about the spheres system in second edition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

30. - Top - End - #240

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    Q153 So playtest of 2e is out and here is the offical question how you guys gonna handle the new edition while spell pool is know part of all caster classes i realy like to know your ideas about the spheres system in second edition.
    Unofficially, don't expect anything for a while. Adam wants to see how PF2e plays out and what 'fixes' it might need (by the looks of 4chan, a lot). Until then, there is more SoP stuff to write (and hopefully some SoM stuff, too).

Personally, when I look at the new classes, I can see how easy conversions will be. Basically:
    -you retain your spell point pool from the original class
    -for every level of spell casting, gain a magical talent
    -for every 2 cantrips you receive, gain a magical talent
    -whenever you gain a talent, you gain a spell point
    -'Extra Magical Talent' is a class feat for all spherecasting classes
    Of course, you have to rewrite all the existing material - or at least the best material. I know I really want to rewrite the War sphere - and maybe cut half of it out. You also have to rewrite several aspects of the original classes; anything that refers to spell slots, or the like. I would assume we would do something with our own classes as well.