New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Drop Dead Studios Ask Me Anything #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Q132:
    The Transformation feat contains the following line:

Assuming we are large sized and take this feat, then choose to become Medium sized, do strength and dexterity change from that size change? If so, by how much?
    A132: The feat doesn't specify and it should. If you don't apply Size Change bonuses, you run in to the situation where you could grab improved transformation for size change and stack those bonuses on the bonuses your unusually sized base race already had (a huge dragon transforming into a small halfling, than using Size Change to get huge again), so I will say you should apply stat changes per the Size Change talent.

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    Q140: The Object Transformation talent turns people into objects. So does this take care of needing to breath and to sleep and other stuff?
    A140:Shapeshift doesn't change type and the talent doesn't remove the requirement, so you still need to breath and sleep (and can do so in your form). You are in the shape of an object and have some object-like properties, but you are still a living creature (if you started as one of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Krieger View Post
    Q143: If an Armiger assigns an Alchemy formulae talent to one of her customized weapons, let's say Salve, do the items remain functional even when the Armiger is not wielding the weapon?
    A143: Yes, they remain functional, though you may not have bonuses you would otherwise have had when you go to use them (cluster toss, etc.). Basically, it acts like you had handed the formulae to and ally.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    Q144

Does the Blind-Fight Feat help against the miss chance imposed by the guardian sphere's "Iron Wall" talent?
    A144: No, the miss chance isn't visual, it is you actively interfering with attacks via feints, interposition, etc.

Q146

Is there any intent to make apocryphas or handbooks for the Spheres of Might spheres?[/QUOTE]
    A146: There is will and desire, but the focus of the company is largely on finishing up the SoP handbooks. PF2 also has an impact on long-term planning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Play4leftovers View Post
    Q148: If you use object transformation and Permanent transformation on a creature and then kill them, they would remain as the transformed object. If you then made them into Platinum for instance would it not completely ruin the economy? It is not as much of a question as it is a consideration to errata it.
    A 160 pound man turned to platinum would weigh roughly 3,200 pound and be valued at 1,600,000 gold. It would essentially do what Costly Creation does for a much lower SP price, talent price, and lower caster level needed.
    A148: As an instantaneous effect, I believe it would continue, but I wouldn't say that you can harvest reasonable monetary value from the corpse. Probably best to treat it as having the same limitations as the Creation sphere as far as permanent valuable objects. That should go on the errata list.
    Quote Originally Posted by viperwolf306 View Post
    Q149: Is there any way to turn electricity into spell points. Such as a character getting struck by lightning and the damages instead becomes a spell point.
    Q150: can animated objects gain class levels?
    A149: There is not currently that I can think of. Its a cool idea, but potentially leads to infinite SP exploits, so I wouldn't expect to see anything like that without significant limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdimarian View Post
    Q151) Are there plans for more comprehensive rules for converting Dreamscarred Press classes into Spheres?
    Namely for something like the Soulknife, which can have either low psionic casting or mid level PoW abilities, would those also let you trade out for Low Sphere of Power / Adept Spheres of Might?

Q151A) Can we expect to see a spinoff book of Spheres adaptations for Dreamscarred classes in the future? That would be nifty if someone went through all the Dreamscarred stuff out and adapted them and / or made archetypes for them.
    A151: There are no plans that I am aware of. Some classes might work, others overlap with existing classes (wilder/thaumaturge, you can get thematically close to the dread with a fear-focused eliciter), and I expect many are just too tied to the psionics system to make a conversion worthwhile verses making a new class or archetype for a different class.
    Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    Q153 So playtest of 2e is out and here is the offical question how you guys gonna handle the new edition while spell pool is know part of all caster classes i realy like to know your ideas about the spheres system in second edition.
    A153: It is too early for official plans. I know many of the authors have read or are reading the playtest docs, but we are very early in the game. As the full release of PF2 is a year out (if I recall), I wouldn't hold my breath on real announcements.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Pixie in the Playground

Q154: The Meld Into Dark drawback for the Dark sphere reads as follows: "You cannot create darkness, and you may only target yourself when granting a (meld) talent. You may only select (meld) talents and Quick Meld from the Darkness sphere. However, you may also use (meld) talents in all dim light and darkness, not just areas of your darkness." If I later buy off the drawback, do I get to keep the benefit of Melds functioning without me having to first set up a darkness? If not, is there any other way to get that benefit? It seems really useful when you don't have the time to set them up.
    Last edited by CreepyShutIn; 2018-08-06 at 01:50 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Q131 - Any particular reason the Armiger can't use customized weapons with siege weapons? Sounds like a good candidate for a Prowess...

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RedMop View Post
    Q131 - Any particular reason the Armiger can't use customized weapons with siege weapons? Sounds like a good candidate for a Prowess...
    A131: Quick-drawing them leads to back problems.

Mostly we didn't want to work out all the interactions with that set of rules. Siege weapons are not frequently used by PCs in my experience and adding the extra rules to define that didn't seem worth the space.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CreepyShutIn View Post
    Q154: The Meld Into Dark drawback for the Dark sphere reads as follows: "You cannot create darkness, and you may only target yourself when granting a (meld) talent. You may only select (meld) talents and Quick Meld from the Darkness sphere. However, you may also use (meld) talents in all dim light and darkness, not just areas of your darkness." If I later buy off the drawback, do I get to keep the benefit of Melds functioning without me having to first set up a darkness? If not, is there any other way to get that benefit? It seems really useful when you don't have the time to set them up.
    A154: The Sphere-focused feat 'Emerge from the Darkness' does precisely that: http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/sp...ed-feats#toc34
    Last edited by TheGSE; 2018-08-06 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Formatting

6. - Top - End - #246
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.Gibson View Post
    Unofficially, don't expect anything for a while. Adam wants to see how PF2e plays out and what 'fixes' it might need (by the looks of 4chan, a lot). Until then, there is more SoP stuff to write (and hopefully some SoM stuff, too).

Personally, when I look at the new classes, I can see how easy conversions will be. Basically:
    -you retain your spell point pool from the original class
    -for every level of spell casting, gain a magical talent
    -for every 2 cantrips you receive, gain a magical talent
    -whenever you gain a talent, you gain a spell point
    -'Extra Magical Talent' is a class feat for all spherecasting classes
    Of course, you have to rewrite all the existing material - or at least the best material. I know I really want to rewrite the War sphere - and maybe cut half of it out. You also have to rewrite several aspects of the original classes; anything that refers to spell slots, or the like. I would assume we would do something with our own classes as well.

Q155.)

What's wrong with the war sphere? I think it has a lot of cool interactions! It's a magic version of the Warleader Sphere, and a character using both is absolutely hilarious in the buff department.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhan View Post
    Q155.)

What's wrong with the war sphere? I think it has a lot of cool interactions! It's a magic version of the Warleader Sphere, and a character using both is absolutely hilarious in the buff department.
    A155: Basically, it suffers from a lack of focus. The original mechanic of Totems didn't really work well in PF, because it was geared toward very large parties (which aren't the norm), and didn't actually do anything to facilitate tactics or party unity, beyond making rallies possible. When I wrote the War book, I tried to solve this problem by giving the War sphere several solutions: totemic auras to make mobile buffers (like Clerics) more playable, Momentum to act as a way to buff party members that don't cost actions for the buffer (reliving some stress from the Warcaster) and that would still deliver value for the low-Caster, Squadron talents to make totems more worthwhile for smaller parties, debuffing totems to make full casters in smaller parties better, Mandates to reward tactical cooperation, and a big heap of feats no one will ever play (has anyone ever played Totem of the Deepest Curse?). There is just so much.

If I had the chance, I would redesign War around the Squadron Leader mechanic (instead of totems) since it is a unique mechanic and several other spheres are based around AoE already. I would make totemic aura and totem feats you can pick up ('all creatures within this aura/totem are considered members of your squadron'). The squadron feats would become talents (mostly) with emphasis on abilities that push cooperation between characters. I would probably dispense with debuffing effects entirely from the sphere. Mandates would probably become flexible, so you could pick who benefits from it when it is triggered instead of it always being the same two people. Momentum I'm not sure about.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q156

If you have the conjuration talents to keep a companion around for 24 hours is it possible to inscribe a Magical Tattoo on them as "Inscribe Magical Tattoo"?

9. - Top - End - #249
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A155: Basically, it suffers from a lack of focus. The original mechanic of Totems didn't really work well in PF, because it was geared toward very large parties (which aren't the norm), and didn't actually do anything to facilitate tactics or party unity, beyond making rallies possible. When I wrote the War book, I tried to solve this problem by giving the War sphere several solutions: totemic auras to make mobile buffers (like Clerics) more playable, Momentum to act as a way to buff party members that don't cost actions for the buffer (reliving some stress from the Warcaster) and that would still deliver value for the low-Caster, Squadron talents to make totems more worthwhile for smaller parties, debuffing totems to make full casters in smaller parties better, Mandates to reward tactical cooperation, and a big heap of feats no one will ever play (has anyone ever played Totem of the Deepest Curse?). There is just so much.

If I had the chance, I would redesign War around the Squadron Leader mechanic (instead of totems) since it is a unique mechanic and several other spheres are based around AoE already. I would make totemic aura and totem feats you can pick up ('all creatures within this aura/totem are considered members of your squadron'). The squadron feats would become talents (mostly) with emphasis on abilities that push cooperation between characters. I would probably dispense with debuffing effects entirely from the sphere. Mandates would probably become flexible, so you could pick who benefits from it when it is triggered instead of it always being the same two people. Momentum I'm not sure about.
    Thanks for the response!

If you ever did get the chance, I'd really enjoy that rehaul for the War Sphere. It fills a niche much more closely but I have to say, Totems are AWESOME. I love using the War Sphere as a DM, and on my characters, though I almost always take the aura drawback.

So I guess Question 157.)

Wouldn't your vision be kind of perfect for a warleader sphere handbook? At this point sure, it would overlap far too much with the existing War Sphere but if that weren't there? Maybe have shouts give momentum to affected characters? A tactic to give momentum generation at the cost of another benefit being up. There would be no totem effects because they could be replaced by shouts/tactics. Mandates makes sense for a warleader picking who is affected. Maybe let the warleader spend the focus of affected characters (If they're willing). Plus the whole shtick of the warleader is specifically buffing allies. I mean, Cry of Confrontation and Frightful Roar are the only debuff abilities (Though I suppose Call Attention might be considered a debuff). Those abilities though are fairly thematic, and nice combo abilities when using other spheres.

10. - Top - End - #250

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhan View Post
    Thanks for the response!

If you ever did get the chance, I'd really enjoy that rehaul for the War Sphere. It fills a niche much more closely but I have to say, Totems are AWESOME. I love using the War Sphere as a DM, and on my characters, though I almost always take the aura drawback.

So I guess Question 157.)

Wouldn't your vision be kind of perfect for a warleader sphere handbook? At this point sure, it would overlap far too much with the existing War Sphere but if that weren't there? Maybe have shouts give momentum to affected characters? A tactic to give momentum generation at the cost of another benefit being up. There would be no totem effects because they could be replaced by shouts/tactics. Mandates makes sense for a warleader picking who is affected. Maybe let the warleader spend the focus of affected characters (If they're willing). Plus the whole shtick of the warleader is specifically buffing allies. I mean, Cry of Confrontation and Frightful Roar are the only debuff abilities (Though I suppose Call Attention might be considered a debuff). Those abilities though are fairly thematic, and nice combo abilities when using other spheres.
    I didn't write the warleader sphere, so it's really up to whoever did to make changes to it. If I did, I would probably try to keep it fairly separate from the War sphere, since it's whole thing is to be non-magically inspiring/intimidating.

11. - Top - End - #251

Imp

Q27

Grenades are pretty much useless with their random fuse timer - are there ways to force a detonation, like shooting them?
    Alchemy questions, all related to using special attack actions to throw an improved alchemist's fire or acid:

Q135
    Can you add damage modifiers to the direct hit of your formula? (i.e. Sneak attack, precision damage, bleed damage, snipe damage)

Q136
    If you have applied additional damage beyond base+alchemy ranks to a direct hit, does that additional damage factor into the "half damage" splash?

Q137
    If you have added bleed damage to the initial hit, and it influences the splash damage, would it then also be bleed damage on the splash, or simply be added up into the total?

Q138

If you hit a creature and apply your bleed - does the creature take the bleed damage from Duelist immediately, as well as at the start of their next turn? Is either answer affected by critical hits?
    The confusion stems from the fact that pathfinder has listed bleed under conditions, yet Spheres of Might continues to refer to it as "bleed damage" - the first implying "no" is the answer, the second "yes"

Q139

Does the reduction of natural armor from "Tear Flesh" stack?
    Reposting some questions

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q135
    Can you add damage modifiers to the direct hit of your formula? (i.e. Sneak attack, precision damage, bleed damage, snipe damage)
    I actually have an answer for this from the core rules.

Throw Splash Weapon

A splash weapon is a ranged weapon that breaks on impact, splashing or scattering its contents over its target and nearby creatures or objects. To attack with a splash weapon, make a ranged touch attack against the target. Thrown splash weapons require no weapon proficiency, so you don't take the –4 nonproficiency penalty. A hit deals direct hit damage to the target, and splash damage to all creatures within 5 feet of the target. Splash weapons cannot deal precision-based damage (such as the damage from the rogue's sneak attack class feature).
    However you may be interested to know that while Acid Flask and Alchemist Fire are splash weapons, Bottled Lightning is not, so you can apply precision damage and whatever else your DM allows.

13. - Top - End - #253

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Zsaber0 View Post
    However you may be interested to know that while Acid Flask and Alchemist Fire are splash weapons, Bottled Lightning is not, so you can apply precision damage and whatever else your DM allows.
    I am the DM, so I'm generally looking for a third party opinion here for questions me and a player disagree or are not sure on.
    And bottled lightning is not useful for that, because it is not thrown as an attack, but opened as a standard action, making it impossible to use with fencing's precision damage.

Thank you for the answer by the way, but that only covers one part of it - sniping, deadly agility or a war totem all add damage to attacks, presumably to the direct thrown weapon hit, too - still need a confirmation that those work, and whether they impact the splash damage as in Q135-137

14. - Top - End - #254

Imp

Q 157

Can the "Concentrated Splash" Feat be used on the Alchemy Sphere's Fire, Acid etc?
    Last edited by kkplx; 2018-08-10 at 12:45 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am the DM, so I'm generally looking for a third party opinion here for questions me and a player disagree or are not sure on.
    And bottled lightning is not useful for that, because it is not thrown as an attack, but opened as a standard action, making it impossible to use with fencing's precision damage.

Thank you for the answer by the way, but that only covers one part of it - sniping, deadly agility or a war totem all add damage to attacks, presumably to the direct thrown weapon hit, too - still need a confirmation that those work, and whether they impact the splash damage as in Q135-137
    Sniping doesnt say it's precision damage, so I would imagine you can add the extra d6s to the damage. Also where does it say Improved Bottled Lightning can only be used as a standard action? My group has been using the Fast Draw Equipment talent to full attack with formula, since only the fuse grenade specifically calls out needing a standard action to use. If we've been doing it wrong I would like to know.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q 158
    What guidelines are there for designing a martial archetype? I'd like to work on a different one for the Symbiat because I don't like the Vector's focus on Brute/Scoundrel/Wrestling. I'm interested in guidelines for all SoP classes, though, not just the Symbiat in particular.
    Last edited by Keante; 2018-08-10 at 08:12 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keante View Post
    Q 158
    What guidelines are there for designing a martial archetype? I'd like to work on a different one for the Symbiat because I don't like the Vector's focus on Brute/Scoundrel/Wrestling. I'm interested in guidelines for all SoP classes, though, not just the Symbiat in particular.
    Depending on what you dislike exactly, maybe replacing those pieces with other combat talents/effects would work.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zsaber0 View Post
    Sniping doesnt say it's precision damage, so I would imagine you can add the extra d6s to the damage. Also where does it say Improved Bottled Lightning can only be used as a standard action? My group has been using the Fast Draw Equipment talent to full attack with formula, since only the fuse grenade specifically calls out needing a standard action to use. If we've been doing it wrong I would like to know.
    It's not the clearest location, but I believe the Alchemy Sphere items modify the base item as mentioned in the first sentence of the Foemulae section of the Alchemy Sphere. As such, nothing in the Improved Bottled Lightning changes the standard action part. I've bolded the important part of d20srd below.

Quote Originally Posted by d20srd
    Bottled Lightning
    Price 40 gp; Weight 1 lb.

DESCRIPTION

Electricity crackles along a metal filament inside this small glass bottle. You can open the bottle as a standard action, unleashing a small bolt of lightning toward an enemy within 20 feet of you. This is a ranged touch attack that deals 1d8 points of electricity damage. Any creature in a line between you and the target (including the target) takes 1 point of sonic damage from the terrific clap of thunder the bolt generates (Reflex DC 15 negates).

19. - Top - End - #259
    Pixie in the Playground

Reposted later to fit question format. Ignore this ^^
    Last edited by Oulana; 2018-08-13 at 12:16 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260

MindFlayer

Q159: Does the inquisitor's monster lore feature apply to rolls to use the scout sphere's base ability?

21. - Top - End - #261
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Q160 are there plans for a Spheres of Power version of the Technician that like the Antiquarian Armiger can pull out magitech gizmos that provide limited use magical effects? (And if there weren't before, are there now?)
    Spoiler: Ideas
    Show
    So my idea was an Archetype that adds Magical Insights that each encompass a Sphere, and each Improvement you attach to that Invention is an additional Talent under the base Sphere. (like a Grand Gadget with multiple inventions)

Debatably you could just have Magical Insight be on it's own without an Archetype and then you have to buy into each sphere with your first Improvement, thus lowering how many Talents you can have.

Just my 30 second idea on how it might work. Still needs a lot of work on balancing the Uses per day and Spell Points mechanics.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Q159: Does the inquisitor's monster lore feature apply to rolls to use the scout sphere's base ability?
    Only when using the Knowledge check version (but not the Perception check option.)

23. - Top - End - #263
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightninja View Post
    Lots of questions about the Sage

Enhancer Esoteric Training

Q116: Can the Sage choose to use an enhance talent as a standard action, on targets within close range, and concentrate on it normally or spend a spell ki point on it for it to last 1 minute/CL? Essentially, can an Enhancer Sage use “Standard Casting” with their bonus enhance talents?

Q117: When casting enhance talents as a swift action, how do an Enhancer Sage’s enhancer talents interact with the following enhancement talents, if at all?

Deep Enhancement
    Dual Enhancment
    Lingering Enhancement was answered here
    Mass Enhancement
    Ranged Enhancement

Q118: Can Rubber ki allow a Sage to apply beneficial, swift-cast enhance talents to their allies within their extended reach? It allows melee touch attacks, so I assume negative enhance talents can be applied using the increased reach.

Q119: Can Extend Spell be applied to swift-cast enhance talents, and if so how would it function?

Q120: Can Extend Spell be applied to the flight, the hardened skin, healing factor, and similar esoteries? (I’m assuming no)

Z Fighter Ki Blaster Esoteric Training, and esoteries.

Q121: For the Ki Blaster esoteries that are similar to blast shapes, do these esoteries count as the blast shapes they mimic for the purposes of prerequisites for feats and talents?
    Ex 1: If the Sage has ki bomb, would the Sage qualify for the orb expert feat?
    Ex 2: If the Sage has ki bomb, piercing beam, and scatter Blast, would the Sage qualify for the Calamity (blast shape) advanced talent?

Q122: Are ki blasts and chi gong considered separate weapons? If I have weapon focus (chi gong) do the attack rolls for energy bomb and severing ki disc receive the +1 to hit?

Q123: How do critical hits with chi gong and ki blasts work? If a level 20 Sage with ki blaster, severing ki disc, and improved critical (appropriate weapon) spend a ki point for a 20d6 ki disc, does a critical do 60d6 for andaverage of 210 damage?

Style Talents

Q124:The text says a Sage may qualify for a casting tradition, can the Sage take general or sphere specific drawbacks to gain bonus ki points or boons?

Q125: Can the Sage take a unified tradition?

Q126: Can Enhancers and Ki Blasters take sphere-specific drawbacks for the Enhancement and Destruction spheres?
    Bumping for visibility.

24. - Top - End - #264

SamuraiGirl

Q161: Though the special attack actions from Spheres of Might usually cannot be combined, using rhe Triangle Slash legendary talent of the Dual Wielding sphere, could these "extra" attack actions be used for other special attack actions (provided that any further "extra attacks" are void due to the stipulations of Tri Slash)? The general of "special attack actions can not be combined" seems to be trumped by the specific "you make an attack action with each of your (up to 3) wielded weapons".
    I'm able to post ICly at least once every other day, depending on my current schedule, if not more.

Extended Signature (doubles as a memorial over characters from games long since passed).

25. - Top - End - #265

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Oulana View Post
    I have a few questions regarding class and sphere systems. First is regarding the Protean (Shifter Archetype) from the Shapeshifter's Handbook. specifically the Chaotic Shifter ability that modifies Shapershifter. Since the shifter gets 2 magic talents for being a caster at first level, does that mean Alteration Sphere and Anarchic Transformation can be chosen his 2 starting talents and then get any other talent as a bonus without the drawback? Just seems like they could get away with not taking the drawback and limiting themselves to 3 talents instead of 4 that having the drawback would allow if I understood the rules right.

Does the effect of Quick Transformation class feature and Easy Focus Boon stack? Such that their Alteration casting time is dropped to a Move Action and their concentration actions with Alteration would be a Swift Action? Can you do a sphere-specific boon? Like it only requires taking one general or sphere specific drawback?
    Answering a chunk of these:

1. Yes, in part because there's no order of operations to talent acquisition. Either you buy them both with your bonus talents first and then it becomes a free Alteration talent, or you apply them after and spend one of your bonus talents buying off the Beast Soul drawback. No matter how you slice it, you wind up with an equal number of potential talents to a vanilla shifter.

2. No, both specify that they reduce it to a move action. They do not reduce the time 'one step'.

3. At this time I don't believe there is any such thing as a sphere-specific boon. In terms of cost it would probably just be the same as a talent, so why not make any such effects talents?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EdinoiZ View Post
    Q161: Though the special attack actions from Spheres of Might usually cannot be combined, using rhe Triangle Slash legendary talent of the Dual Wielding sphere, could these "extra" attack actions be used for other special attack actions (provided that any further "extra attacks" are void due to the stipulations of Tri Slash)? The general of "special attack actions can not be combined" seems to be trumped by the specific "you make an attack action with each of your (up to 3) wielded weapons".
    Both things are true. You cannot combine special attack actions (such as the Sniper sphere's Deadly Shot and the Barrage sphere's base barrage ability), but Triangle Slash allows you to make three separate attacks that each count as an attack action. So you could make three Vital Strike attacks, if you were using (for example) thrown weapons you could Brutal Strike/Brutal Strike/Deadly Shot, or any other combination of attack actions that don't violate the other restrictions of the ability.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NomGarret View Post
    Answering a chunk of these:

1. Yes, in part because there's no order of operations to talent acquisition. Either you buy them both with your bonus talents first and then it becomes a free Alteration talent, or you apply them after and spend one of your bonus talents buying off the Beast Soul drawback. No matter how you slice it, you wind up with an equal number of potential talents to a vanilla shifter.

2. No, both specify that they reduce it to a move action. They do not reduce the time 'one step'.

3. At this time I don't believe there is any such thing as a sphere-specific boon. In terms of cost it would probably just be the same as a talent, so why not make any such effects talents?
    Thank you, NomGarret. Guess that answers those ones. Figured I should redo the rest in the same format everyone else is doing their questions :P

Q162 For combat talent progression if a Shapeshifter decides to drop feats to gain the Proficient or Adept combat progression does the Shifter have the option to choose a Unified Tradition? If so, are the martial talents gained considered bonus talents or would they go against the total number they gain from the feat sacrifice (like a reverse layaway program)?

Q163 I'm still a little confused on unified traditions. The idea I had for a unified tradition was the Hidden Horror, an based around the trope Hidden Evil. Would this be a generally acceptable Unified Tradition that a player could use without really breaking anything? Wanted to ensure that the tradition would be a fair following of the general sphere rules. Do magic talents take the 2 starter talents or do they count as bonus talents? What pays for a bonus feat if one is included? I know that having two general drawbacks would pay for the Easy Focus, would the third drawback pay for the feat or would the feat just be a bonus they gain and the lycanthropic would grant them a third magic talent? Also would limiting their ability to buy off the drawbacks count for anything or even be a good idea? Many thanks for your time ^^

Hidden Horror
    Hidden Horrors are characters or creatures with a demure and unassuming outer appearence that can erupt into a monstrous combatant when danger is near. Some are hired on as bodyguards to the vain that seek subtle protection or wish to appear unguard. Some are born shapeshifters, others are practicioners of the magical arts that use their powers in a more physical manner. The monstrous forms these individuals take tend to use either wild animalistic assaults that leave their surprised victims dazed and confused or brutish hits that easily fling their assailants around. There shifting forms make them less prone to utilizing weaponry, preferring the natural attacks they almost all possess in their combative form. One thing that anyone encountering the Hidden Horror recognize is that they are all clearly unnatural monstrousities.
    Martial Training:Equipment: Unarmored Training & Unarmed Training
    Variable: Hidden Horrors gain either the Berserker Sphere or the Brute Sphere.
    Bonus Feat: Hybrid Transformation
    Magical Training: Alteration Sphere, One Form Talent of their choice
    Drawbacks: Unnatural Transformation, Center of Power, Lycanthropic. These may be bought off with the use of a Talent but once every 5th caster level (5th, 10th and 15th)
    Boons: Easy Focus
    Last edited by Oulana; 2018-08-13 at 01:53 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by Oulana View Post
    Hidden Horror
    Hidden Horrors are characters or creatures with a demure and unassuming outer appearence that can erupt into a monstrous combatant when danger is near. Some are hired on as bodyguards to the vain that seek subtle protection or wish to appear unguard. Some are born shapeshifters, others are practicioners of the magical arts that use their powers in a more physical manner. The monstrous forms these individuals take tend to use either wild animalistic assaults that leave their surprised victims dazed and confused or brutish hits that easily fling their assailants around. There shifting forms make them less prone to utilizing weaponry, preferring the natural attacks they almost all possess in their combative form. One thing that anyone encountering the Hidden Horror recognize is that they are all clearly unnatural monstrousities.
    Martial Training:Equipment: Unarmored Training & Unarmed Training
    Variable: Hidden Horrors gain either the Berserker Sphere or the Brute Sphere.
    Bonus Feat: Hybrid Transformation
    Magical Training: Alteration Sphere, One Form Talent of their choice
    Drawbacks: Unnatural Transformation, Center of Power, Lycanthropic. These may be bought off with the use of a Talent but once every 5th caster level (5th, 10th and 15th)
    Boons: Easy Focus
    I will leave answering most of your questions to stack (who is the Shapeshifter's handbook author), however, I do want to note that the Feat 'Hybrid Transformation' has Transformation as a feat prerequisite which doesn't appear to be granted by the tradition.
    Last edited by Mehangel; 2018-08-13 at 12:40 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 164 There are the Destructive Touch and Shape Focus Sphere-Specific Drawbacks for the Destruction Sphere. Destructive Touch removes the Close-Range Ray as an attack option for the Destruction Sphere, and Shape Focus locks the sphere-caster into using only one Blast Shape. Is it possible to gain both the Destructive Touch and Shape Focus (Energy Blade)? On what basis is this a legitimate combination in sphere-specific drawbacks when the latter locks the sphere-caster into one Blast Shape? Or is the sphere-caster able to still use the Ray and Touch attack options of the Destructive Sphere but simply can only ever use the chosen Blast Shape as an additional option until the drawback is "bought off" at a future time?

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Q165:
    Would Finesse Fighting apply to the Elven Curveblade? It seems like the only weapon with the actual Finesse feature is the rapier. However the Elven Curveblade has the ability to benefit from Weapon Finesse.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.