New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541

Default Re: Grrl Power IV: Constantly Expanded Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Sadly it always seems to produce something that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.
    Only if it's made by Sirius Cybernetics.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Whats im kinda shocked over here, is that Sydney seems to have completely glossed over how she does not in fact have any money.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #543
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

The person who said that Sydney's love of super spicy food would play a part was correct.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

4. - Top - End - #544
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Whats im kinda shocked over here, is that Sydney seems to have completely glossed over how she does not in fact have any money.
    Well there is still time, her mind is probably jumping all over the place due to stress, adrenaline, adhd, thirst, etc etc etc. And her first thought was the scanner was some sort of credit check device so yeah her lack of funds is in her mind still.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #545

Anyone else suddenly reminded of when Sydney stopped for lunch on the way to the bank?

6. - Top - End - #546

Well, it's going better than that. Points to Dabbler for remembering to mention Halo's spice addiction.

7. - Top - End - #547

Looks like dabblers friend managed to locate her. Lets see how it goes from here. Gotta admit im curious to see if there will be a wacky misunderstanding or not.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

One might think actually being adressed by her full name should manage to cut though everything else.
    Especially now that she has had the chance to relax over an extremely good meal.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ettin in the Playground

Just realized that the catgirl from the Star Trek animated cartoon is in the previous page. Cute touch, through I have to question the choice of that slave leia bikini outfit. I mean, with THAT hair color? Must be a color blind species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

10. - Top - End - #550

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    One might think actually being adressed by her full name should manage to cut though everything else.
    Especially now that she has had the chance to relax over an extremely good meal.
    Thats true, however, there is still the chance that they run into deus and vale heading for the food court. Or one of Coras enemies spotting her and causing trouble, or any of a host of random horrid hijinx.

11. - Top - End - #551

And I called it with the designated arrival points. Along with, it seems, some that are decommissioned and 'lost'.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Just realized that the catgirl from the Star Trek animated cartoon is in the previous page. Cute touch, through I have to question the choice of that slave leia bikini outfit. I mean, with THAT hair color? Must be a color blind species.
    There is no bad hair color for a slave leia bikini outfit.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    There is no bad hair color for a slave leia bikini outfit.
    That is where you are VERY wrong. I refuse to accept unfashionable fan service, it's just plain lazy. Just go bald if you are going to mix those colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Stupid sexy Flanders.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #555

I suppose it does make cleanup and getting changed super easy, barely an inconvenience.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Bugbear in the Playground

A fair bit of my NaNo this year has been about my light-manipulating superheroine putting together her first costume. I should have just had her go with Cora's solution.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

17. - Top - End - #557

Definitely a friend of Dabbler.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Special Snowflake status has been reaffirmed.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #559
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Well, most of the main characters are "special snowflakes".

What I find interesting is that there seems to be someone sending stuff Earth's way. Max's powers are from an rock that came from off world. The spheres are from off world and one of the consul can hack reality and no one understands who she does it. The source for that ability is highly suspect to me.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Well, most of the main characters are "special snowflakes".

What I find interesting is that there seems to be someone sending stuff Earth's way. Max's powers are from an rock that came from off world. The spheres are from off world and one of the consul can hack reality and no one understands who she does it. The source for that ability is highly suspect to me.
    I definitely understand that such status isn't unique to Sydney by any stretch of the imagination. And I'm sure that down the road (who knows, maybe even soonTM by webcomic time) we'll get an explanation that makes sense of it. But until we do, the only explanation we've got is a space captain Dabbler has faith in going "yeah wormhole generators that fit in your pocket are high sci-fi nonsense nobody I know has ever even heard of, and I'm saying that while standing on a frickin' Dyson Sphere". And then you have to reconcile that with the fact that one of the recent (or maybe just more frequent?) jumps the orbs made were to this Dyson Sphere thing, whoever last had them was around here with them, seems kinda weird that nobody's ever even heard of something like this. But even assuming that whoever had them was keeping them mega-under-wraps for exactly that reason, we still come to one of two conclusions as an explanation:

1) A space-farer who got their hands on technology that makes capital ships look like oversized toys accidentally lost them on the most backwards planet in the galaxy and didn't have a way of retrieving them, somehow.

2) A space-farer who got their hands on technology that makes capital ships look like oversized toys intentionally lost them on the most backwards planet in the galaxy because Earth is super-duper special for some reason.

My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #561
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    we still come to one of two conclusions as an explanation:

1) A space-farer who got their hands on technology that makes capital ships look like oversized toys accidentally lost them on the most backwards planet in the galaxy and didn't have a way of retrieving them, somehow.

2) A space-farer who got their hands on technology that makes capital ships look like oversized toys intentionally lost them on the most backwards planet in the galaxy because Earth is super-duper special for some reason.
    There is the third option, which was implied by the 'screwy destination'.

A Space-farer who got their hands on tech that makes capital ships look like oversized toys, and hid them from everyone else, had a mis-jump that resulted in the orbs ending up on Earth, dying in the process.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I definitely understand that such status isn't unique to Sydney by any stretch of the imagination. And I'm sure that down the road (who knows, maybe even soonTM by webcomic time) we'll get an explanation that makes sense of it. But until we do, the only explanation we've got is a space captain Dabbler has faith in going "yeah wormhole generators that fit in your pocket are high sci-fi nonsense nobody I know has ever even heard of, and I'm saying that while standing on a frickin' Dyson Sphere". And then you have to reconcile that with the fact that one of the recent (or maybe just more frequent?) jumps the orbs made were to this Dyson Sphere thing, whoever last had them was around here with them, seems kinda weird that nobody's ever even heard of something like this. But even assuming that whoever had them was keeping them mega-under-wraps for exactly that reason, we still come to one of two conclusions as an explanation:

It could be some super advanced civilization is using Earth as a petri dish for all sorts of various nonsense just to see what happens.

Having said that, its a superhero story. Its going to involve special snowflakes, pretty much by definition.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    There is the third option, which was implied by the 'screwy destination'.

A Space-farer who got their hands on tech that makes capital ships look like oversized toys, and hid them from everyone else, had a mis-jump that resulted in the orbs ending up on Earth, dying in the process.
    It's probably just meant as an Easter Egg callout, but if the mention of the other civilization that uses Aetherium causeways means anything, we might infer that this method of FTL travel is both difficult and inherently dangerous. "Died in a travel accident and lost the technology" is exactly what you would expect to happen in 40k with somebody trying to use a personal warp-tunnel generator. That's probably the good result, even - the bad one would be more along the lines of 'ripped open a warp storm on your homeworld and now everything is demons.'

Edit: I might also infer that the reason the known method of Aetherium travel is so extreme is that everybody else looked at that and went "Nah, we're good, we'll figure out some other means of faster than light." Possibly Sydney's orbs aren't such impossible technology so much as the other technological powers that might have been able to get to that point discarded it as dead-end tech so they didn't put in the work needed to improve on it that way.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2018-12-03 at 12:36 PM.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Troll in the Playground

So something like the gate area they are at now could have been around for a very very very long time. It’s possible that the previous holder of the orbs was there so long ago that no one know recognizes them because no one has been around that long.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    That's probably the good result, even - the bad one would be more along the lines of 'ripped open a warp storm on your homeworld and now everything is demons.'
    First is least-bad.

Bad is when, mid-warp, your 'collective FO' field collapses and the creatures of the warp board your vessel and do unmentionable things to you and your crew.

Worst case scenario is when the skies open up...

26. - Top - End - #566
    Bugbear in the Playground

An option, among actually fairly many, is: A space-farer who got their hands on technology that potentially makes capital ships look like oversized toys, intentionally went to the most backwards planet in the galaxy to hide them from everyone else, either for safekeeping or to prevent their misuse, because Earth was, until fairly recently, a rather generic planet with little significance besides the tourism.

And I will point out again - the Aetherium Causeway travel system was not unlocked until just a couple hours ago. The Orbs do not contain a list of prior destinations they traveled to on their own power, they make a list of "travel destinations" period. This feature was not "lost" over time and just reactivated now, because the Orbs registered the screwed-up portal transit from Earth already after having been found, and before the travel system was activated.

Which means somebody found them, saw their potential, and intentionally traveled to the place they thought was a good place to hide them. They took a portal to the Fracture (the orbs recorded the transit), and then a ship to Earth (the orbs don't record conventional travel). There are limitations imposed on what kind of technology (including spaceships and scanners) can be used around a pre-FTL world, and Earth's status as a tourist spot would prevent anyone who did know of the orbs from conducting a large-scale search for fear of retribution from other races for endangering their citizens. They just didn't manage to pick a secure enough spot to hide the artifacts, or weren't familiar with the concepts of ocean currents and erosion.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

27. - Top - End - #567

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    So something like the gate area they are at now could have been around for a very very very long time. It’s possible that the previous holder of the orbs was there so long ago that no one know recognizes them because no one has been around that long.
    They were right at the surface, if Sydney's recounting is accurate. In the Florida Keys, a place with massive sedimentation because of the outflow from the Everglades. Those things have been on Earth for at most a decade.

Also, more shout outs in the background, most notably being Florence Ambrose, Sam Starfall and Helix from Freefall.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    First is least-bad.

Bad is when, mid-warp, your 'collective FO' field collapses and the creatures of the warp board your vessel and do unmentionable things to you and your crew.

Worst case scenario is when the skies open up...
    You are still thinking small.

A galaxy swallowed whole is still only local news.

There are galaxy clusters, and magor galactic groupings above that, and even then there are bigger structures.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    They were right at the surface, if Sydney's recounting is accurate. In the Florida Keys, a place with massive sedimentation because of the outflow from the Everglades. Those things have been on Earth for at most a decade.
    That doesn't necessarily follow, stuff gets uncovered occasionally. It is odd, but maybe people found them before? maybe there's a stealth mode that Sydney hasn't unlocked yet?

Also, more shout outs in the background, most notably being Florence Ambrose, Sam Starfall and Helix from Freefall.
    Schlock too.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-12-03 at 02:49 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    That doesn't necessarily follow, stuff gets uncovered occasionally. It is odd, but maybe people found them before? maybe there's a stealth mode that Sydney hasn't unlocked yet?
    Or they're sentient and choose the bearer. One ring-like, only not malicious for the reason behind the choice.

Which could mean they could have been on Earth for who knows how long... they throw off scans, and can even make themselves look like something else...

Until happenstance led Sydney to be in the area, and the orbs decided she'd be the next bearer, so 'undug' themselves.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Random thought - The unknown orb contains universal banking information that interfaced automatically when she put her hand on the scanner.

It wasn't a plot hole - it was a revelation!
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.