New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Grrl Power IV: Constantly Expanded Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Annual Terawatt-hours. It's how much energy it generates through the whole year. Its actual output is around 2 Gigawatts, so Deus "merely" has around 400MW at his disposal for continuous use. Which is certainly significant, quite possibly well enough for any civilian applications in Galytn. The issue is that Deus wants something beyond civilian applications - and in order to have an excess he can hide, he needs his powerplants to generate more than they should theoretically be capable of.
    That's the rub, for sure. It could go either way. He could have a missile silo built under that thing, or have designed it to serve military as well as consumer purposes. Or he could just be building a green energy solution for his pet country, providing more than enough electricity to serve their needs without the risk of going Three Mile Island on them, and he decided to combine overseeing that construction with meeting with his lieutenant. Heck, overproducing would allow the nation to sell their excess to neighboring countries, providing them an extra income as well as reducing "legitimate" demand for nuclear materials in the area. Efficiency and all that...
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2018-09-05 at 07:28 AM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    But really, african warlords would hardly claim to be a king with palace and gold crown for less than a thousand square kms.
    10^3 km^2 is really small. That's a square with sides 33 and 1/3 km long (other shapes have different sides, but the area is still small), there are smaller states, but not many.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-09-05 at 12:12 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

The issue is that Deus wants something beyond civilian applications
    Objection. We have -zero- evidence for those towers being anything besides a prestice project to make his bonzai nation more green.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

4. - Top - End - #274

Well, it would also stop the treadmill of buying coal/oil/natural gas for power production, so yay savings!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Well, it would also stop the treadmill of buying coal/oil/natural gas for power production, so yay savings!
    Better than that. They aren't just saving money because they don't need to buy fuel, they are less reliant on other countries for that fuel. Self sufficiency. Also, as I said, the ability to sell excess energy to neighbors props up the economy even more.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Colossus in the Playground

Its entirely possible the whole thing is a vanity project. "yeah, not only have a turned this backwater into a first world nation, I also completely removed our need for power generation from all but clean sources." He is PRECISELY the sort of guy who would use a dimensional gateway producing weapon just to supercharge his own personal green energy source despite the sheer amount of trouble he would be in if anyone ever found out. Unfortunately, he is also precisely the sort of guy who has a theoretically infinite number of uses for it, both evil and benign. Probably will do both. The benign one so he can go, "What? Im using it to provide ultra cheap power to this nation! How can you be angry at me for that?" While also secretly using it to rob other planets of their resources for his own evil schemes or something. Hell, he may intend to use it for time travel shenanigans, dude has an absurdly developed ability to know way more than he should. So knowing this device can traverse time AND space would be huge for him. And considering he knew sciona was forging this weapon and had his horror from beyond the planes in place to retrieve it he probably knows what its capable of.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

But really, african warlords would hardly claim to be a king with palace and gold crown for less than a thousand square kms. Unless they conquered a major town that already had a (procincial) palace, which again means Galtyn can be assumed as province-sized.
    You need more history in your diet. People have claimed to be kings (with castles and gold crowns) with a lot less than a thousand square kilometers. At one point in Irish history, you could pass four kings in their castles in a day's walk.
    Really? I always thought Galtyn was in contemporary Africa, not medieval Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    10^3 km^2 is really small. That's a square with sides 33 and 1/3 km long (other shapes have different sides, but the area is still small), there are smaller states, but not many.
    Exactly. All states that are smaller than 1k km² are either city states (like Monaco and Singapore), or are located on small island.

If Indinge conquered himself a city with a luxurious palace (displayed in the comics from Jan/Feb 2016) and held that city for long enough to establish an unrecognized kingdom... then he should be supposed to have control of large tracts of land all around that city, usually the size of a province.
    Again for example, Burundi or the kingdom of Lesotho are both some of the smaller countries in Africa and are roughly 30k km² large.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Objection. We have -zero- evidence for those towers being anything besides a prestice project to make his bonzai nation more green.
    *Cue Thunderclap laugh*
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

First commentary on today's comic commentary: The author develops the ability to reflect on the comic and look for ways to improve! Huzzah! This would have been good to have during that stupid Deus X Sciona stupid cheesecake grable grable BLARRRGGHHH!!!

I'm done for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Its entirely possible the whole thing is a vanity project. "yeah, not only have a turned this backwater into a first world nation, I also completely removed our need for power generation from all but clean sources." He is PRECISELY the sort of guy who would use a dimensional gateway producing weapon just to supercharge his own personal green energy source despite the sheer amount of trouble he would be in if anyone ever found out. Unfortunately, he is also precisely the sort of guy who has a theoretically infinite number of uses for it, both evil and benign. Probably will do both. The benign one so he can go, "What? Im using it to provide ultra cheap power to this nation! How can you be angry at me for that?" While also secretly using it to rob other planets of their resources for his own evil schemes or something. Hell, he may intend to use it for time travel shenanigans, dude has an absurdly developed ability to know way more than he should. So knowing this device can traverse time AND space would be huge for him. And considering he knew sciona was forging this weapon and had his horror from beyond the planes in place to retrieve it he probably knows what its capable of.
    He strikes me as the person who can find multiple uses for an all powerful artifact. Plus if anyone finds it having a legit use is a good thing.

I wonder if he bought the rights to the land Sciona's base was on. Then he could explain were he got it from: "Oh Vale found that! It was on the wilderness preserve I own. One of them. I own a lot of those since I do care so much about the planet." Not that he has to, since it is in his own country now, but still.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    First commentary on today's comic commentary: The author develops the ability to reflect on the comic and look for ways to improve! Huzzah! This would have been good to have during that stupid Deus X Sciona stupid cheesecake grable grable BLARRRGGHHH!!!

I'm done for now.
    Yeah, didn't much care for that chapter, either. Do like Sydney calling Cthulu out for exposing a vulnerable spot like that.

He strikes me as the person who can find multiple uses for an all powerful artifact. Plus if anyone finds it having a legit use is a good thing.
    Of course. He likes having everything he does contain a legit cover-story. Except for robbing the Twilight Council - but the only people who knew about that were robbers themselves.

I wonder if he bought the rights to the land Sciona's base was on. Then he could explain were he got it from: "Oh Vale found that! It was on the wilderness preserve I own. One of them. I own a lot of those since I do care so much about the planet." Not that he has to, since it is in his own country now, but still.
    Kinda disagree with this. Deus doesn't portray himself as a classic saint, he portrays himself as the platonic ideal of "Greed is Good" - that a capitalistic approach to things, guided by a capable hand, results in a greater net benefit for everyone. Yes, he's greedy. Ruthless, too. Devastatingly handsome and as humble as Drax, to boot. And is it really "egomania" when you truly are just that great? Everything he does is in the name of the almighty dollar, but a clever man can make it rain by planting trees. And as Deus is his own witness, he is a clever man.

On the other hand, I would immediately believe it if he claimed he bought the land for the exploitable resources, only to find find an unexpected windfall in his reclamation efforts.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2018-09-06 at 10:20 AM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

11. - Top - End - #281

I have to agree with the commenters on the page. A one strip diversion in the middle of the fight to something completely unrelated is just horrible pacing, and combined with all the other evidence (i.e. most of the comic) shows Dave really needs to work on that.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Thats hardly worth it. That would to start with make him even more suspicious in the eyes of Archon.
    And it would bring the risk of the gouverment doing that expro-something thing where the legally steal something.
    As well as bring assasins and thieves from the twilight council.

The best way to protect something is to ensure noone knows you got it.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thats hardly worth it. That would to start with make him even more suspicious in the eyes of Archon.
    And it would bring the risk of the gouverment doing that expro-something thing where the legally steal something.
    As well as bring assasins and thieves from the twilight council.

The best way to protect something is to ensure noone knows you got it.
    Oh, he wouldn't be broadcasting the purchase if he made it, he'd just get a shell company to pick it up (possibly in the name of post-disaster reclamation) and sit on that fact until someone accuses him of stealing the artifact. Then he could simply and justifiably claim to have found it on his land and smirk as his accusers do a hasty mental backpedal.

Besides which, Deus's partnership with Archon likely comes with some assumption of insider trading. Being tied to the pulse of the Superhero police force comes with a fairly high bill, but also profitable forewarning of good purchases. I rather doubt that land deal would look out of place to Archon.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

14. - Top - End - #284

And it would bring the risk of the government doing that expro-something thing where the legally steal something.
    Expropriation or Eminent Domain. Yes, they are distinct concepts, but only lawyers understand the difference.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, he wouldn't be broadcasting the purchase if he made it, he'd just get a shell company to pick it up (possibly in the name of post-disaster reclamation) and sit on that fact until someone accuses him of stealing the artifact. Then he could simply and justifiably claim to have found it on his land and smirk as his accusers do a hasty mental backpedal.
    No.. that excuse is just far to flimsy to hold up in court, or even under any sort of closer scrutiny.
    If you "find" a bag of diamonds in your back yard then your not clear of trouble if you decide to keep them either.

Besides which, Deus's partnership with Archon likely comes with some assumption of insider trading. Being tied to the pulse of the Superhero police force comes with a fairly high bill, but also profitable forewarning of good purchases. I rather doubt that land deal would look out of place to Archon.
    I also seriously doubt said high bill lands with Deus instead of Archon..

Expropriation or Eminent Domain. Yes, they are distinct concepts, but only lawyers understand the difference.
    Yeah those are the ones im thinking about.
    Aka -the law that makes it possible to snatch your dimension tearing toy away as soon as you flaunt it-
    Its honestly to dangerous. I could see Archon going so far as to risk provoking a war with somewhere else if they though it was in unsafe hands.

Because its genuinly a global risk. Its also why i dont think even Deus with all of his connections can hold on to it. He would be told to hand it over. And if not it would be a strike team with Max at the head knocking on his door.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

So Sydney is implied to be in the future right now, right?

So here is my crack version of what's happening. These aliens are actually Deus' invasion fleet, who is wiping them out to ensure that Sciona comes back with a bunch of refugees (which will all end up working for him). These machines are actually using the reverse engineered Power Orbs, though they aren't quite as good.

Sydney (and the rest of Archon) are kill on sight, due to being rebels against Deus' rule.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

17. - Top - End - #287

No.. that excuse is just far to flimsy to hold up in court, or even under any sort of closer scrutiny.
    If you "find" a bag of diamonds in your back yard then your not clear of trouble if you decide to keep them either.
    Throughout most of the United States, the owner of the land owns any buried or hidden treasure they find on the land, with very few exceptions. And, since these artifacts don't fall under any of the exceptions (at least, all of the exceptions I could find) then, yes, Deus would legally, as recognized by the United States be the owner of that magical artifact if it ever came to court simply because he "just happened" to find it on land that he bought. (It's known as the "Finder's-Keeper's Law".)

The only way it wouldn't work is if somebody with a greater claim said it belonged to them - and, since it was altered by a murderous fugitive with no way to claim it and the previous owners are part of a secret society that probably won't be able to prove their claim or even come public, Deus would be the person with the strongest claim on it.

In fact, if you "find" a bag of diamonds on your land, then you are clear of trouble if you choose to keep it (unless you suspect it was stolen or intentionally put there by somebody, then you turn it in to the police and if they can't find its previous owners in 90 days then you become the rightful owners of them.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    Throughout most of the United States, the owner of the land owns any buried or hidden treasure they find on the land, with very few exceptions. And, since these artifacts don't fall under any of the exceptions (at least, all of the exceptions I could find) then, yes, Deus would legally, as recognized by the United States be the owner of that magical artifact if it ever came to court simply because he "just happened" to find it on land that he bought. (It's known as the "Finder's-Keeper's Law".)

The only way it wouldn't work is if somebody with a greater claim said it belonged to them - and, since it was altered by a murderous fugitive with no way to claim it and the previous owners are part of a secret society that probably won't be able to prove their claim or even come public, Deus would be the person with the strongest claim on it.

In fact, if you "find" a bag of diamonds on your land, then you are clear of trouble if you choose to keep it (unless you suspect it was stolen or intentionally put there by somebody, then you turn it in to the police and if they can't find its previous owners in 90 days then you become the rightful owners of them.
    Having said that, if you were to find, say, an active land mine on your property, the government wouldn't let you just keep it there, active. As soon as they heard about it, they would send in a bomb disposal squad to, at the very least, make sure it wont blow up if a tree gets too much snow on it and loses a branch or something like that.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_trove

Seems it varies a lot from country to country.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Seems it varies a lot from country to country.
    Oh yeah, and seems it also vary a bit from state to state. Though the general rule does seem to be that you have to hand it over to the police first, to see if they can find a true owner.

Having said that, if you were to find, say, an active land mine on your property, the government wouldn't let you just keep it there, active. As soon as they heard about it, they would send in a bomb disposal squad to, at the very least, make sure it wont blow up if a tree gets too much snow on it and loses a branch or something like that.
    And this thing is a lot closer to a nuke than a landmine in regards to how much damage it can inflict.
    Except for being on the wrong side of the nuke.

21. - Top - End - #291

Author has a good point, it is kinda strange that she is dealing so well with her constant combat scenarios while bubbled up like this. It may just be supreme confidence in the shield though. I mean until a half hour ago nothing has even dented her shield. So feeling invincible could lead to treating combat like a game. In hindsight, I kinda wish maxima had been outside the shield at the time. Much like with the hentorb she might have been able to judge its strength.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #292

I don't see anything strange about her not having an adhs attack right in the middle of the fight.

A challenging situation overrides many (not all!) psychological problems. There are surgeons with tourette syndrome, licenced for operations.

Also, im sure that Maxima has insisted that she had her regular med dosis before the depart, and that she has a small emergency supply in her utility belt.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I don't see anything strange about her not having an adhs attack right in the middle of the fight.

A challenging situation overrides many (not all!) psychological problems.
    Agreed. I know for my part when something has me challenged and/or intrigued, I can focus like a laser beam - a trait I completely lose if I'm not engaged in a task or situation.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

24. - Top - End - #294

Sydney is probably well overdue for another freakout moment. I don't think we've seen one since before the Vigilance fight. Or was her first paycheck actually after that? After that, I think.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Sydney is probably well overdue for another freakout moment. I don't think we've seen one since before the Vigilance fight. Or was her first paycheck actually after that? After that, I think.
    Depends on what you deem a freakout. She had a couple in the Twilight Vault, and more than a couple when meeting the Twilight Council. She had a pretty low key one at the rave, when she saw the aliens with her Comm ball. And there was the pool, but that was an accident. In truth, however we've spent more time recently talking about Deus's prowess than showing Sydney, so she really hasn't had much opportunity.

That said, I expect you're right. As soon as the danger is passed, as soon as Sydney shifts out of survival mode, there's going to be an awful lot of silliness she'll need to get out of her system.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

26. - Top - End - #296

Her last freakout was her "dying" versus sciona. http://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/2501

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Law and the Multiverse has a pretty good write-up on the differences between lost, misplaced, and abandoned. It includes treasures.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So, I guess the apron says Kick the Cook or possibly Kill the Cook?
    I want to say Exorcise, but that might be a tad to long.

Also, this page might've been better placed before Sydney discovered her true calling as a laser-proctologist.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    So, I guess the apron says Kick the Cook or possibly Kill the Cook?
    I want to say Exorcise, but that might be a tad to long.

Also, this page might've been better placed before Sydney discovered her true calling as a laser-proctologist.
    The apron doesn't have a verb. Its printed with the little censor blur on it so people can imagine whatever they want.

And I definitely think this joke works better in hindsight or concurrently than before she goes on offense.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The apron doesn't have a verb. Its printed with the little censor blur on it so people can imagine whatever they want.
    Well, yeah.
    And those options are what I am imagining in place of the blur.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")