New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1504
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power IV: Constantly Expanded Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Her plans make a bit more sense when you realize she was expecting to be backed up by her people's entire military in short order. And probably planning on genociding the local primitives anyway, so killing a couple off early is just efficient.
    Yeah, ditto this. All things considered, Sciona basically succeeded, and if her race hadn't been exterminated, she likely would have conquered Earth, and at worst, killed off/enslaved the main characters (if they had somehow managed to shut down the portal).
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Titan in the Playground

Her plans make a bit more sense when you realize she was expecting to be backed up by her people's entire military in short order. And probably planning on genociding the local primitives anyway, so killing a couple off early is just efficient.
    Her plans were decent enough. All things taken into consideration.
    Im thinking about her constant backstabbery.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #1143

See above comment on genociding the local primitives. Any local primitives working for her are likewise completely disposable.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Her plans were decent enough. All things taken into consideration.
    Im thinking about her constant backstabbery.
    I think Sciona previously was convinced she was the most dangerous thing around. Now that she's been up directly against supers and whatever Vale is and had that illusion broken, perhaps she'll be less likely to casually destroy everybody who is willing to work with her.. then again, maybe she just has Compulsive Backstabbing Disorder.

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I'm not sure her plan would have worked. Sciona had been banished from her homeworld and probably for a damn good reason. She was trying to use Earth as a gift to get her back in good graces and the leadership of her world may not have gone for it.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I'm not sure her plan would have worked. Sciona had been banished from her homeworld and probably for a damn good reason. She was trying to use Earth as a gift to get her back in good graces and the leadership of her world may not have gone for it.
    Was she banished? Or was she sent to pave the way? Seriously, I can't remember anyone suggesting that she was banished.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Troll in the Playground

The Twilight council I think had kicked her out, but I don’t remember when they mentioned her people had.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

8. - Top - End - #1148

I just did an archive binge last weekend. Unless DaveB hid it somewhere in the comments section, they never did. Heck, we didn't even know Alari were aliens until the portal took them to the homeworld.

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Bugbear in the Playground

There's still something terribly off about an invasion plan that involves using a pathway that can be shut off permanently and irrevocably from the defending side.

Sciona literally rigged the portal to blow and close.

If the Alari were not destroyed, the strike team only needed to regroup, fly back, and blast the mountain.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

10. - Top - End - #1150

Like they'd care. By that point, they're firing up the warp drives on their raiding fleet.

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Colossus in the Playground

For all we know the original plan was to open the portal to her home world, take the kludged together artifact with her, blow the base to leave no traces, then reopen an invasion portal when the alari are ready to go. Archon would have no idea what she was up to until the alari invasion begins. They would probably figure out she had a base there, but with everything buried under a collapsed mountain they wouldnt know that sciona left the planet or that she intends on coming back with friends.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Titan in the Playground

I think Sciona previously was convinced she was the most dangerous thing around. Now that she's been up directly against supers and whatever Vale is and had that illusion broken, perhaps she'll be less likely to casually destroy everybody who is willing to work with her.. then again, maybe she just has Compulsive Backstabbing Disorder.
    Thats clearly not the case. Something cut the head off her.
    She already knew she wasnt invincible.

There's still something terribly off about an invasion plan that involves using a pathway that can be shut off permanently and irrevocably from the defending side.

Sciona literally rigged the portal to blow and close.

If the Alari were not destroyed, the strike team only needed to regroup, fly back, and blast the mountain.
    There is something terribly scary about an invasion that leads the enemy army directly into the heartland of your nation.
    And that its access point can be blown off by a single focused strike means less if that point is suddenly in the middle of the enemy army.
    We have seen how brutal alien tech are. Its not impossible that the strike team would have died if Sciona had gotten reinforcements in time.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

There is something terribly scary about an invasion that leads the enemy army directly into the heartland of your nation.
    And that its access point can be blown off by a single focused strike means less if that point is suddenly in the middle of the enemy army.
    We have seen how brutal alien tech are. Its not impossible that the strike team would have died if Sciona had gotten reinforcements in time.
    Some might have died. As long as her Shield is up the only way to get Halo would be to equal to setting off large nukes. And Max would be even worse to deal with in most ways. Worst for them is Max wouldn't have to "play nice" like she does on Earth. If you wonder why I think that Halo took on and took out some of the enemies that wrecked the Alari homeworld. And the attack that put Halo's Shield into the red (remember the size of the crater) Max though that was a "Okay, that was a respectable opening move. And if I wasn’t worried about my team… BANG! ZOOM! Literally to the MOON!".
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

14. - Top - End - #1154

And if Maxima maximizes her Blast to do that, one of the many other warships will incinerate her due to her minimized Armor. Plus, her Blast will just splash off their shields.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Plus, her Blast will just splash off their shields.
    No way to know that. Sydney had to get inside the shields, sure, but the PPO is currently nowhere near matching Max's top output for energy projection. The closest thing we have to any kind of benchmark is the Vehemence fight, and although we don't actually know what would have happened we do know that he still considered 'Maxima will disintegrate your head' to be a valid threat. Since he had enough magical power available to force Maxima to full dump into armor to survive, we can probably conclude that he thought Maxima's energy blast was even stronger than that. Or at least was enough of a possibility that it wasn't worth taking the bet.

All hypotheticals, tho. Maybe Max would have just supersped her way inside the shield area and blown them up from point blank like Sydney did. Maybe she would be able to just shoot through the shields. Possibly a combo, where she throws a blast into the shields and then physically punches through the stressed point before it can recover. Possibly the big beasts really are stronger than Max, although I doubt it - probably would have been one of those 'oh wait that actually kind of hurt, ok now I'm gonna take you seriously' scenes before Max full on speedblitzes them/overcharges a blast and obliterates them with no concern for minimum required force. At Sydney's current progression I don't think there is anything Sydney can beat that Max couldn't find a way to destroy as well.

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Titan in the Playground

Some might have died. As long as her Shield is up the only way to get Halo would be to equal to setting off large nukes. And Max would be even worse to deal with in most ways. Worst for them is Max wouldn't have to "play nice" like she does on Earth. If you wonder why I think that Halo took on and took out some of the enemies that wrecked the Alari homeworld. And the attack that put Halo's Shield into the red (remember the size of the crater) Max though that was a "Okay, that was a respectable opening move. And if I wasn’t worried about my team… BANG! ZOOM! Literally to the MOON!".
    Enemies Sydney in this case defeated though her versatility and being able to explore weakness in their shielding.
    Just because she could do so does not mean she would automatically win against the Alari invasion force.
    For that matter. The crater blast had a massive AOE. Something less intense could likely do better if it was more tightly focused.
    Like how Vehemence's lightning did without leaving a crater.

No way to know that. Sydney had to get inside the shields, sure, but the PPO is currently nowhere near matching Max's top output for energy projection. The closest thing we have to any kind of benchmark is the Vehemence fight, and although we don't actually know what would have happened we do know that he still considered 'Maxima will disintegrate your head' to be a valid threat. Since he had enough magical power available to force Maxima to full dump into armor to survive, we can probably conclude that he thought Maxima's energy blast was even stronger than that. Or at least was enough of a possibility that it wasn't worth taking the bet.
    Well he just had to force her to focus so much of her strenght into armor that she could not break free.
    But when he was held down she suddenly had a chance to not just fully dump points into energy, but potentially even drain her stats to empower that energy blast further

All hypotheticals, tho. Maybe Max would have just supersped her way inside the shield area and blown them up from point blank like Sydney did. Maybe she would be able to just shoot through the shields. Possibly a combo, where she throws a blast into the shields and then physically punches through the stressed point before it can recover. Possibly the big beasts really are stronger than Max, although I doubt it - probably would have been one of those 'oh wait that actually kind of hurt, ok now I'm gonna take you seriously' scenes before Max full on speedblitzes them/overcharges a blast and obliterates them with no concern for minimum required force. At Sydney's current progression I don't think there is anything Sydney can beat that Max couldn't find a way to destroy as well.
    Well.. i dont think we can say that for certain. Sydney only won that fight due to her TP ability. It allowed her to escape the tracktor beam.
    And dodge inside their shields. This was a situation where sydney's raw power would not have made a difference alone.
    It can be Max could not have breached the shields to a significant degree.

17. - Top - End - #1157

If it was one-on-one, sure. The problem is it wouldn't be. It would be one-on-fleet, so Maxima would have to maxuber-tank to take the amassed fire without getting vaporized. Sydney can shield and cut loose with the blasting, or shield and fly at multiples of the speed of sound, or shield and set up a teleport. Max isn't as agile in the powers department once you get to things working on her level, because she can only do one thing really well at a time. Halo always has two options.

Plus, any ships not engaging those two can be, y'know, carrying on with the conquest of the planet.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Troll in the Playground

One thing for sure: since those alien beasts waited for Halo to let go of the flight orb, they had significant trouble aiming at her. If so, they would never be able to keep up with Max in that regard. This means that if Max could damage them, they would go down even if it had to be a death by thousand cuts. There is also a question of stamina, but we never got to see Max actually tired, so it is difficult to say, how would she deal with a prolonged fight.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Titan in the Playground

One thing for sure: since those alien beasts waited for Halo to let go of the flight orb, they had significant trouble aiming at her. If so, they would never be able to keep up with Max in that regard. This means that if Max could damage them, they would go down even if it had to be a death by thousand cuts. There is also a question of stamina, but we never got to see Max actually tired, so it is difficult to say, how would she deal with a prolonged fight.
    Well they would not be able to keep up with Max as long as she focused on flight and and speed.
    The problem is that if she did so, then her energy blast is unlikely to be strong enough to penetrate those things shield.
    Honestly, with how easily they redirected Sydney's initial blast then its uncertain if anything but a fully powered blast from Max would scracth them.
    And Max as earlier commented, cant allow herself to reduce lessen her defence.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Ogre in the Playground

We don't actually have a comparison of Sydney's shield to Max's defense, so we don't know if she can actually take a hit. We also don't know if Max can get through the alien shield with her attacks. While Max might be able to blitz past the alien shield, that also might just splatter her or see her bounce off.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

21. - Top - End - #1161

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    We don't actually have a comparison of Sydney's shield to Max's defense, so we don't know if she can actually take a hit. We also don't know if Max can get through the alien shield with her attacks. While Max might be able to blitz past the alien shield, that also might just splatter her or see her bounce off.
    We also dont know exactly what sort of shield evil squidward has. It deflected her energy beam, but it seemed to bend it around the creature. Would it stop a physical attack? Could maxima act as a giant cannonball and smash it in the face? Or would her body bounce off or flow around like the energy beam does? Might be best if she hurls a rock at mach 12 at its face and sees what happens there first before trying it herself though. It IS possible its an energy blocker only after all. When you are facing an enemy army known for solely using lasers and such as weaponry, you protect against lasers and dont waste money on ballistic defenses.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Titan in the Playground

Well the problem is that its kinda impossible to measure max against anything, since her power level swings so wildly.
    But the old cast page text did mention that Max were #1 in every power catagory if she dumped her power pool into that attribute.
    (except for defence where Achilles are utterly unbeatable)

We also dont know exactly what sort of shield evil squidward has. It deflected her energy beam, but it seemed to bend it around the creature. Would it stop a physical attack? Could maxima act as a giant cannonball and smash it in the face? Or would her body bounce off or flow around like the energy beam does? Might be best if she hurls a rock at mach 12 at its face and sees what happens there first before trying it herself though. It IS possible its an energy blocker only after all. When you are facing an enemy army known for solely using lasers and such as weaponry, you protect against lasers and dont waste money on ballistic defenses.
    Railguns are likely not uncommon.
    When your fielding something as expensive as the squid likely were, then you dam well dont leave an achilles heel on it because your cheap.

23. - Top - End - #1163

Well the problem is that its kinda impossible to measure max against anything, since her power level swings so wildly.
    But the old cast page text did mention that Max were #1 in every power catagory if she dumped her power pool into that attribute.
    (except for defence where Achilles are utterly unbeatable)

Railguns are likely not uncommon.
    When your fielding something as expensive as the squid likely were, then you dam well dont leave an achilles heel on it because your cheap.
    We honestly have no way of telling, we only see energy beam spam from the squidwards and the drones after all, its entirely likely they have moved past ballistics simply due to cost versus effectiveness versus storage space. After all, no matter how awesome your railgun is, it isnt going to travel at lightspeed (barring shenanigans I guess) Which means its of pathetically little use in space combat considering the distances and speeds likely involved there as you would have to be at virtual bayonet range before reaction times make dodging them non trivial. And if you already have laser beams, why switch back to bullets when in atmosphere? It is entirely likely that bullets of any type are an anachronism once you get past a certain stage of development. After all, why build railguns that are only useful in very specific circumstances against very specific enemies when your energy beams are so much better in every other way?

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Railguns and ballistic weapons are still commonly used. Dabbler uses a railgun frequently and her friend uses conventional guns as SOP. So they clearly are out there and would still be very useful and effective in ground combat. And the giant squidy things were ground combat units. One big advantage of ballistic weapons is that you don't need Line Of Sight. You can shoot at something over the horizon and a energy beam hit you back.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

....(except for defence where Achilles are utterly unbeatable)
    And Achilles is extremely debatable. He's probably unkillable, but actually seems to be quite easy to beat. Easy to immobilize or otherwise remove from the fight, which counts as beating in my book.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Titan in the Playground

We honestly have no way of telling, we only see energy beam spam from the squidwards and the drones after all, its entirely likely they have moved past ballistics simply due to cost versus effectiveness versus storage space. After all, no matter how awesome your railgun is, it isnt going to travel at lightspeed (barring shenanigans I guess) Which means its of pathetically little use in space combat considering the distances and speeds likely involved there as you would have to be at virtual bayonet range before reaction times make dodging them non trivial. And if you already have laser beams, why switch back to bullets when in atmosphere? It is entirely likely that bullets of any type are an anachronism once you get past a certain stage of development. After all, why build railguns that are only useful in very specific circumstances against very specific enemies when your energy beams are so much better in every other way?
    As HoS comments, Dabbler, who can likely pick just about freely between all types of weapons, still uses a rail gun.
    Thats just about hard evidence that bullets are not an anachonism. But instead a very effective tool for hard targets.

As for space combat. We cant know if beams are any more usefull there.
    Since you want to drag science into it, then yes rail gun shots cant travel at light speed.
    But beam weapons would suffer from the dispersal effect that afflict current laser weapons.

And Achilles is extremely debatable. He's probably unkillable, but actually seems to be quite easy to beat. Easy to immobilize or otherwise remove from the fight, which counts as beating in my book.
    .... he is unbeatable when it comes to defense score

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Ogre in the Playground

Well since time travel is a thing you can always go back in time and kill Achilles before he got his powers.

If you can only do stable time loops go back in time and have an evil shape shifting minion impersonate him until the loop is complete. Then you end up with an invulnerable evil shapeshifting minion!
    Last edited by Lamech; 2019-06-16 at 11:15 PM.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Well since time travel is a thing you can always go back in time and kill Achilles before he got his powers.

If you can only do stable time loops go back in time and have an evil shape shifting minion impersonate him until the loop is complete. Then you end up with an invulnerable evil shapeshifting minion!
    Is time travel actually "a thing", though?

Sydney's jump "into the future" is just a relativistic side product of Kora's more "conventional" FTL capabilities. Days for her were months for everyone outside the ship. That's not exactly time travel.

The time loop Khrona set up was local only. Time continued as per normal for anyone outside the area. This is an incredibly impressive and frightening achievement, but, again, it's not exactly time travel.

Is there another instance I'm unaware of?
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

The team jumping forward in time is no big thing. But the fact they (except Sydney) jumped BACK to their original time is important.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Is time travel actually "a thing", though?

Sydney's jump "into the future" is just a relativistic side product of Kora's more "conventional" FTL capabilities. Days for her were months for everyone outside the ship. That's not exactly time travel.
    That's not what happened. Harem got discombobulated by the passage through the portal because there were too many of her - the Harem that went through the portal was suddenly sharing her mind network with an already-full set of months-older Harems back on Earth (because her mind network apparently works by some kind of quantum entanglement simultaneity handwaving where distance doesn't matter), and after she returned back through the portal, the younger Harem was able to make use of memories of the future transferred from the older Harems.

Transit time and relativistic time distortion make up very little of Sydney's temporal discontinuity. Most of it is because the portal was not just a portal to the Alari homeworld, but a portal to the Alari homeworld in the future, and Sydney stayed in the future because she took the long way around to get back to Earth instead of reversing the time jump by going back through the portal like everyone else did.
    Play your character, not your alignment.